Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

owlbethere wrote: »
    Do you have any links for them reports please?

A couple of months ago - how many months ago? - Before the Christmas? January?
    I was sitting having a cup of tea in town and a friend who is a manager of a shop came over to me and said she had had people in and they had been told to buy up masks etc and send them home to China. She thought it was bizzare. I explained what was happening there, to her as I had been voluntarily helping update another website re information on covid and its spread. That was a friday in late January as far as i can remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I think they generally do get it. The southern health board thing was between seventies and nineties.

The HSE stopped doing the BCG in 2015. The NHS had stopped at some point before that as my son was born in the UK in 2012 and the BCG wasn't on his vaccine schedule. I got him booked in for it once we moved home. But the vast, vast majority of people in Ireland have had the BCG surely? And a reasonable amount of older-elderly people actually had TB and as such tend to have stronger antibodies than someone who's antibodies developed from vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I remember years ago that at the Materials and Surface Science (MSSI) Research Institute at UL there was a research team that made laboratory worktop surfaces that were anti-viral. I can't seem to find anything on it now. I'm wondering are PPEs scrubs made from anti-viral materials?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

circadian wrote: »
    I had the BCG in NI, I think it's pretty standard in the UK.

On the UK, specifically london in past number of years there were shortages in the BCG. They didn’t offer it to kids because of this. There was a ‘new’ vaccine which wasn’t as well tested as the old one.

You were able to source privately if you really wanted it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In the context of masks, this is an interesting discussion by four experts on the topic. on the matter. One of the contributors, a research scientist called Howard, believes that masks are of such importance that he set up this non profit website which contains links to a lot of research, much of which focuses on the efficacy of homemade masks.
    I think at this stage anyone not recommending masks as part of our weaponry along with distancing and hand hygiene against community spread is a thundering fool, and a dangerous one, and should be ignored. I include the official stance by our HSE and people like Dr Cormican in that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Im just curious as to how the PPE orders turned out to be such a massive cock up. Who ordered them? did they know what they were ordering? Ive just seen more pictures of them on social media and they are ridiculous. You'd see better hygiene and protective wear at a deli counter.

You'd see better hygiene and protective wear at a deli counter - LOL. I love your wording. It's so funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rusty the athlete

ettravel wrote: »
    USA.
    will this finally wake the US population up into realising what an unjust , unequal , rat race of a kip they live in.

Doesn't help when the president appears to be clinically insane. Not my words but those of https://worldmhc.org/

To quote:
    PATHOLOGICAL NARCISSISM, INFORMATION SUPPRESSION, AND A GLOBAL PANDEMIC
    Minneapolis, MN, and nationwide locations — Mental Health Experts specializing in Donald Trump’s type of pathologies conduct an online briefing for the American people regarding Donald Trump’s mental incapacity to lead America’s critical response to the escalating novel coronavirus pandemic.
    Quote from Dr. Bandy Lee: “Weeks of mismanagement and dangerous misstatements are costing lives. We must immediately highlight expert information and advice, including those of mental health experts.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Field east

Two aspects of this whole virus issue have not been answered IMO . Maybe some boardie out there can provide some light on them and which are as follows:-
    (1) is there a concentration of the virus below which you will not be infected by it ?. Or is it the case that, irrespective of the level of concentration you will get infected if you come in contact with it is on your hands and you fingered your nose. Age probably comes into it as an older persons immunity would not be as robust. Maybe also if one gets infected with a very low concentration of the virus they may not get as sick as someone who was infected with a very high concentration

(2)will keeping food / food packaging in a deep freeze -18C +- kill the virus. Ditto re fridge at around 3C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭plodder

froog wrote: »
    Thats incredibly presumptuous and bad science. Seems to be based solely on X country has a high rate of vaccine and low deaths from Covid. There's thousands of other possible factors that you could pick. "Correlation does not prove causation" is a basic golden rule of epidemiology and stats.
    That's a bit strong. It was previously known that BCG helps with other respiratory illnesses as well as TB, which may be why they went looking. Though I thought the IT article was a little too enthusiastic. Trials with health workers re lready underway I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Wibbs wrote: »
    I think at this stage anyone not recommending masks as part of our weaponry along with distancing and hand hygiene against community spread is a thundering fool, and a dangerous one, and should be ignored. I include the official stance by our HSE and people like Dr Cormican in that.

Expect WHO to change their stance very soon and the HSE will follow suit. I suspect that they weren't promoting masks for all because this might mean shortages for healthcare workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Happy4all wrote: »
    Thank God we have Danny Healy-Rae

Apples and Oranges. Thank **** Danny Healy Rae is an outcast outside of Kerry with little influence.

Trump on the other hand is the most powerful man on the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Field east wrote: »
    Two aspects of this whole virus issue have not been answered IMO . Maybe some boardie out there can provide some light on them and which are as follows:-
    (1) is there a concentration of the virus below which you will not be infected by it ?. Or is it the case that, irrespective of the level of concentration you will get infected if you come in contact with it is on your hands and you fingered your nose. Age probably comes into it as an older persons immunity would not be as robust. Maybe also if one gets infected with a very low concentration of the virus they may not get as sick as someone who was infected with a very high concentration

(2)will keeping food / food packaging in a deep freeze -18C +- kill the virus. Ditto re fridge at around 3C

On no.1 I saw a video by a Prof of Pathology who said a lower inoculum of the virus at the beginning allows your immune system a chance to rev up and has better outcomes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Apples and Oranges. Thank **** Danny Healy Rae is an outcast outside of Kerry with little influence.

Trump on the other hand is the most powerful man on the planet.

I think you'll find that the Healy Raes practically own Kerry and are multi millionaires .

Also Jesus is the most powerful man on the planet. Trump is just a man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Good God get a load of this idiot. I can't believe that people actually listen to so-called experts like these. There's no excuse for not knowing something when you can literally google it and get the information in the first couple of results. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Thats incredibly presumptuous and bad science. Seems to be based solely on X country has a high rate of vaccine and low deaths from Covid. There's thousands of other possible factors that you could pick. "Correlation does not prove causation" is a basic golden rule of epidemiology and stats.
    That's why it isn't policy anywhere, but rather its being trialled, and in the event it doesn't improve rates of severe illness what harm will it do beyond vaccinating some elderly and front line workers from TB.
    Its based on several countries having high vaccine rates and low covid deaths.
    And research that indicates BCG vaccine programmes reduce a larger number respiratory illness and measles.
    I'm sure the scientists doing all the research are well versed in the correlation/causation principle. Maybe almost as well as yourself.

Hardly a waste of time for further research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Lavinia wrote: »
    I have heard that in Italy last year Jan to April died more people than this year all together including covid.

Really? I have seen stats suggesting very much the opposite (indicating that the deaths being reported in certain parts of Italy and Spain suggest that they're not reporting the correct figures):

https://twitter.com/J_CD_T/status/1245739661449977867

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

From what I can gather anyway, though much of this is still up in the air and opinions change daily and are like arseholes, everyone has one :D but viral load seems to be a thing alright. And makes sense. If you inhaled say forty viruses it will take more time for those viruses to set up home in cells and start production of more viruses than if you inhaled a thousand.
    Just supposition on my part but I would think that freezing viruses would make them viable for longer and the lower the temperatures the longer they'd remain viable. In research centres that stockpile viruses for study to preserve them they freeze them as far as I'm aware. On the other hand heat fecks them right up. It's one reason why we get a fever when we catch a virus. They're very heat sensitive. Heat, oxidisation, ultraviolet light and chemicals like bleach kill them stone dead.

And our own immune systems when they catch up really get medieval on their arses. Our bodies are heaven to viruses when they first show up and then become the most hellish place on earth for them when our bodies respond.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Doesn't help when the president appears to be clinically insane. Not my words but those of
    I just looked at previous articles on that site and it's clearly anti-Republican.
    Why would you post trash like that?

I think Trump is awful, worst President in American history, but let's stay away from crap like that.

• Advertisement

I think the whole story around "bad quality" PPE equipment needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

No. not to come over all conspiracy theorist but a few other things may or may not be related.
    • There was a shortage of equipment for frontline staff
    • Some of the guidance on what PPE should be worn and when wasn't 100% i.e face shields / goggles.
    • Large proportion of cases were healthcare workers.

Fairly convenient to blame those "dodgy Chinese". Also deflects from the fact that we had plenty of notice. As soon as it was in Italy the writing was on the wall.

Of course this could all be cleared up if the actual order was made public. Transparency not HSE strong suit given the legal implications that may come down the line.

Regarding the BCG vaccine

I read online and I don't know how true it is, the vaccine only gives protection for X number of years because it wears off over time. I forget how many years it says. 12/15/20 years - I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Total number of deaths in Italy for Q1 (comparison):

2020 - 166.407
    2019 - 185.967
    2018 - 187.991
    2017 - 192.045

I don't have those in English, sorry, but these are the numbers

Good God get a load of this idiot. I can't believe that people actually listen to so-called experts like these. There's no excuse for not knowing something when you can literally google it and get the information in the first couple of results. :mad:
    What do you call someone who got the lowest grades in their graduating class at medical school? Doctor.

Authorities on any matter are to be listened to, right up to the point where they start making illogical and/or contradictory or extreme claims. If they're also part of the media, or politics as a career, ramp that suspicion up considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

Wibbs wrote: »
    From what I can gather anyway, though much of this is still up in the air and opinions change daily and are like arseholes, everyone has one :D but viral load seems to be a thing alright. And makes sense. If you inhaled say forty viruses it will take more time for those viruses to set up home in cells and start production of more viruses than if you inhaled a thousand.

Just supposition on my part but I would think that freezing viruses would make them viable for longer and the lower the temperatures the longer they'd remain viable. In research centres that stockpile viruses for study to preserve them they freeze them as far as I'm aware. On the other hand heat fecks them right up. It's one reason why we get a fever when we catch a virus. They're very heat sensitive. Heat, oxidisation, ultraviolet light and chemicals like bleach kill them stone dead.

And our own immune systems when they catch up really get medieval on their arses. Our bodies are heaven to viruses when they first show up and then become the most hellish place on earth for them when our bodies respond.

At cold temperatures virus remain dormant. Until the environment becomes more hospitable to them. 82 degrees c at 30 seconds will kill virus’s.

If you can’t wash food packaging then leave non perishables for 72hours. The virus will die after that.

By washing I mean using soapy water. Not necessarily chemicals to sanitise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Lavinia wrote: »
    Total number of deaths in Italy for Q1 (comparison):

2020 - 166.407
    2019 - 185.967
    2018 - 187.991
    2017 - 192.045

I don't have those in English, sorry, but these are the numbers

Thanks.
    I would like an explanation of that from anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Blueshoe wrote: »
    I think you'll find that the Healy Raes practically own Kerry and are multi millionaires .

Also Jesus is the most powerful man on the planet. Trump is just a man

Trump is just a man but Jesus is just a fairy story.

I think the whole story around "bad quality" PPE equipment needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

No. not to come over all conspiracy theorist but a few other things may or may not be related.
    • There was a shortage of equipment for frontline staff
    • Some of the guidance on what PPE should be worn and when wasn't 100% i.e face shields / goggles.
    • Large proportion of cases were healthcare workers.

Fairly convenient to blame those "dodgy Chinese". Also deflects from the fact that we had plenty of notice. As soon as it was in Italy the writing was on the wall.

Of course this could all be cleared up if the actual order was made public. Transparency not HSE strong suit given the legal implications that may come down the line.

Stop it. Ireland did not have plenty of notice to prepare PPE. This virus was identified as a novel virus in January and it spread so fast. Come February, a lot of countries began reporting of their early cases and there was a scramble every where to boost up supplies of PPE. There's now a worldwide shortage. The HSE had some failings over the years no doubt but you can't blame theme for a worldwide shortage of PPE.

iguana wrote: »
    The HSE stopped doing the BCG in 2015. The NHS had stopped at some point before that as my son was born in the UK in 2012 and the BCG wasn't on his vaccine schedule. I got him booked in for it once we moved home. But the vast, vast majority of people in Ireland have had the BCG surely? And a reasonable amount of older-elderly people actually had TB and as such tend to have stronger antibodies than someone who's antibodies developed from vaccination.

"but Ireland has had no BCG vaccine since May 2015 and no children have been vaccinated since then, the HSE confirmed."

That's worrying. Whole lot of kids not inoculated if there is a benefit. Italy apparently has very low levels of the vaccine and the kids are grand so that's positive. What is interesting is that in some parts of london the Incidence of TB is on par with some African countries yet vaccine wasn't offered.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/tuberculosis-vaccine-potential-game-changer-in-covid-19-fight-1.4220383

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rusty the athlete

Good God get a load of this idiot.

A doctor of what precisely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Stop it. Ireland did not have plenty of notice to prepare PPE. This virus was identified as a novel virus in January and it spread so fast. Come February, a lot of countries began reporting of their early cases and there was a scramble every where to boost up supplies of PPE. There's now a worldwide shortage. The HSE had some failings over the years no doubt but you can't blame theme for a worldwide shortage of PPE.

Leo told us there'd be 15,000 cases 3 weeks ago.

• Advertisement

You stop it. Seriously? You didn't think that would become an issue. I must admit I got a few strange looks off the wife in January when I ordered and received industrial level PPE (i.e can't be used in a medical setting but has the same effect) but she didn't question.

What upsets you more? That frontline workers weren't properly protected or that our government/HSE didn't have the foresight and decided to wait for the pandemic to reach these shores before they got their orders in. It was entirely predictable I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Thanyou for all the links. Excellant informative post.
    Found more. This was actually reported in several newspapers here in Ireland.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/health/coronavirus-face-masks-dublin-sold-17689683

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/big-surge-number-face-masks-21429258

Other countries. These are some of the articles I could find.

Chinese oil company urging Chinese to send home supplies:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-07/china-implores-employees-and-clients-to-scour-world-for-masks

USA:

China’s virus outbreak triggers a global run on face masks

"While the rush is global, Chinese people living abroad have been buying masks - especially the popular N95 variant made by 3M Co. - to send back to family members or resell them online, often via Tencent's WeChat messaging app."

Canada:

Brossard's Chinese community shipping masks to loved ones in China

Estonia:

Chinese man living in Tallinn sends 20,000 masks to China

UK:

Chinese students and tourists buy 12,000 face masks in Edinburgh pharmacy to send home to families

Sweden:

https://www.vk.se/2020-02-28/coronaviruset-hyllorna-med-andningsskydd-ekar-tomma-i-umea

“It is largely Chinese who, since the outbreak of the corona virus, have visited Procurator to provide themselves, but also friends and acquaintances, with respiratory protection. Some have even bought shelter to send them to needy people in China.”

Finland:

Face masks and hand sanitizer disappear from stores: Finland’s Chinese send goods to fight coronavirus

Finnish Chinese have delivered more than one hundred thousand face masks to China to control the coronavirus

That's all I could find for now but it has been very organised behaviour. But can I blame them? No. Now it's us trying to find supplies wherever we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I'm sure others have commented on it, but the front page of Indo rankled this morning ("You don't have to read it", I bought it for my father). Editor must be in cloud cuckoo land aka D4 if they think it struck an appropriate tone. There's Donal Skehan grinning mirthlessly, "planning to fly the family home from the US on Wednesday. Lock, stock and barrel - but temporarily". Whoever greenlights this manure doesn't possess any tact. Here's a better message to convey, "stay the f*ck where you are you entitled ionsach".

Found more. This was actually reported in several newspapers here in Ireland.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/health/coronavirus-face-masks-dublin-sold-17689683

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/big-surge-number-face-masks-21429258

Other countries. These are some of the articles I could find.

Chinese oil company urging Chinese to send home supplies:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-07/china-implores-employees-and-clients-to-scour-world-for-masks

USA:

China’s virus outbreak triggers a global run on face masks

"While the rush is global, Chinese people living abroad have been buying masks - especially the popular N95 variant made by 3M Co. - to send back to family members or resell them online, often via Tencent's WeChat messaging app."

Canada:

Brossard's Chinese community shipping masks to loved ones in China

Estonia:

Chinese man living in Tallinn sends 20,000 masks to China

UK:

Chinese students and tourists buy 12,000 face masks in Edinburgh pharmacy to send home to families

Sweden:

https://www.vk.se/2020-02-28/coronaviruset-hyllorna-med-andningsskydd-ekar-tomma-i-umea

“It is largely Chinese who, since the outbreak of the corona virus, have visited Procurator to provide themselves, but also friends and acquaintances, with respiratory protection. Some have even bought shelter to send them to needy people in China.”

Finland:

Face masks and hand sanitizer disappear from stores: Finland’s Chinese send goods to fight coronavirus

Finnish Chinese have delivered more than one hundred thousand face masks to China to control the coronavirus

That's all I could find for now but it has been very organised behaviour. But can I blame them? No. Now it's us trying to find supplies wherever we can.

Sold at the current market rate to willing buyers. That is our system. Same applies to housing but nobody cares about that shortage beyond "oh it's terrible for young people".

I think the people who are complaining about not being able to get PPE are the ones who said...
    • it's just a flu
    • it won't come here
    • it only kills old people
    • the country should stay open
    • we don't need to be social distancing
    • we have enough ICU
    • masks don't work

You stop it. Seriously? You didn't think that would become an issue. I must admit I got a few strange looks off the wife in January when I ordered and received industrial level PPE (i.e can't be used in a medical setting but has the same effect) but she didn't question.

What upsets you more? That frontline workers weren't properly protected or that our government/HSE didn't have the foresight and decided to wait for the pandemic to reach these shores before they got their orders in. It was entirely predictable I'm afraid.

Sourcing masks on an individual level would be so much more easier than sourcing gear on a grand scale. You can't really compare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,793 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Sourcing masks on an individual level would be so much more easier than sourcing gear on a grand scale. You can't really compare.

Sorry yeah you missed the point. I'm comparing the timing. Doing anything in January instead of March was so much easier. Pandemics/ war have a habit of making shopping difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,608 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Low temperatures generally won’t kill a virus.

They’re usually too small to be affected by ice crystals puncturing them (and they don’t have cells or cell membranes to worry about)

Viruses are strands of protein contained in a fatty envelope, to destroy them you need to either denature the protein or dissolve the fatty envelope (lipids)
    This is why radiation (uv) heat and detergents are effective at destroying them
    Another way to deactivate them is to swarm them with a coating that binds to their binding sites and prevents them from working, this is more or less how antibodies work, and bio pharmaceutical medicines replicate this mechanism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

wadacrack wrote: »

It will take a month from a start of a lockdown at least to reach the peak of new cases and probably another week for peak of deaths. It will require another 2 months after that for cases to fall to within acceptable level to consider lifting some restrictions. Then there's the significant risk of imported infections from abroad. A relative handful of imported cases from Italy, Austria and Netherlands was the main cause of our lockdown once infections got into the community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Regarding the BCG vaccine

I read online and I don't know how true it is, the vaccine only gives protection for X number of years because it wears off over time. I forget how many years it says. 12/15/20 years - I don't know.

That's how vaccines work. They don't tend to confer permanent/multi-decades long immunity in the same way that actually being infected with and recovering from an illness does. They work because once almost everyone has immunity for a reasonable period of time, the virus has nowhere to go and dies out. When you have a situation where a disease has died out in a region of high vaccination but then a mixture of immigration from places where the vaccines aren't commonplace and a growing movement of people who refuse to vaccinate, those diseases can reoccur.

If you received the MMR as a child from the mid 80s to the mid 90s, there is a good chance you are no longer immune to those illnesses. I'm from the last generation in Ireland who were not offered the MMR, in fact by the time it was introduced here, I had already had measles when I was 3 (was shït) and mumps and rubella when I was 5 (was actually a nice time). So my immunity to those illnesses is better than most people who are slightly younger than me. I had an antibody testing when I was pregnant and the midwife said it was very rare to see antibodies to all of those. On the other hand, my Heaf test when I was a kid had a very mild reaction as my antibodies were from the BCG, whereas my mum had TB as a baby and her Heaf test marks were more pronounced than my fresh ones even though hers were 10 and 20 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

utter moron. if there's one good thing to come out of this thing it's that a LOT of qualified medical people are being shown up as complete idiots. there tends to be a belief that just cause you're a doctor you are some kind of infallible mega brain. honestly there are better informed people on this thread than some nurses and one doctor i personally know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

utter moron. if there's one good thing to come out of this thing it's that a LOT of qualified medical people are being shown up as complete idiots. there tends to be a belief that just cause you're a doctor you are some kind of infallible mega brain. honestly there are better informed people on this thread than some nurses and one doctor i personally know.

That compilation makes him look like he bought his medical doctorate at his local Walmart.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Bushmaster64

There are some countries massaging their figures. And not just 3rd world despotic ones. Obviously China and Iran are lying.

Watch out for Sweden and Japan. Maybe even Germany. Both Sweden and Germany have proven to have a press that will mislead the public at the government's behest.

Deaths rates in UK, Italy and Spain higher than published but that's more to do with not having the resources to accurately track deaths outside of hospitals.

So comparing country by country is not that simple because data isn't reliable.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,842 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Leo told us there'd be 15,000 cases 3 weeks ago.
    Do you have any idea how many "cases" we do have?

The current "results" are for tests done a few days ago, and swabs taken a few days before that, for people who had waited a few days to get their swabs taken

We are probably now "recording" figures from 10+ days ago, and only those who warranted testing

I would guess we are at a few multiples of 15,000 at this stage - but it can only be a finger in the air job because we simply do not know how many in Ireland are (or indeed have been) infected

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Beasty wrote: »
    Do you have any idea how many "cases" we do have?

The current "results" are for tests done a few days ago, and swabs taken a few days before that, for people who had waited a few days to get their swabs taken

We are probably now "recording" figures from 10+ days ago, and only those who warranted testing

I would guess we are at a few multiples of 15,000 at this stage - but it can only be a finger in the air job because we simply do not know how many in Ireland are (or indeed have been) infected

Didn't Simon coveney say we were doing close to 5k tests a day but at the press conference recently it was announced we were doing 1500

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Didn't Simon coveney say we were doing close to 5k tests a day but at the press conference recently it was announced we were doing 1500

GPs are forwarding 3000 a day for testing according to RTE and we have only been testing 1500 a day. so there's massive backlog. not to mention the cluster**** at the start, the most important time where everyone in the country with a sniffle was looking for a test.

in short, we have no idea whatsoever the rate of infection in this country and it is likely 10 times the reported figure. the only accurate figure is the death rate and ICU figures so people should focus on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

That’s exactly my thinking when it comes to takeaways. Pizza etc will be grand once it’s cooked and hot, but if someone coughs on the box as theyre closing it .....

Simple fix. I’ve gotten a couple of takeaways over the past six weeks and I just made sure to treat the food as infected and microwaved it to piping hot again after delivery.

Microwaving to piping hot will break the rna bonds and make it safe to eat even if someone DID cough directly onto the food just before closing the packaging.

Simples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

There are some countries massaging their figures. And not just 3rd world despotic ones. Obviously China and Iran are lying.

Watch out for Sweden and Japan. Maybe even Germany. Both Sweden and Germany have proven to have a press that will mislead the public at the government's behest.

Deaths rates in UK, Italy and Spain higher than published but that's more to do with not having the resources to accurately track deaths outside of hospitals.

So comparing country by country is not that simple because data isn't reliable.
    Maybe in some cases the figures are revealing who is managing the crisis better and who isn’t ...........just maybe?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement