Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

So basically we should have shut down the last week in Feb, but not to worry we couldnt have known the seriousness at that stage

We should have shut down the start of February and there was plenty of warning of how bad this would get, many just chose to ignore it or lambasted anyone who warned of the incoming disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

So basically we should have shut down the last week in Feb, but not to worry we couldnt have known the seriousness at that stage

Many people on these boards were calling it and saying we would be better taking a sharp, hard hit with closures then, than waiting for more cases to pop up but we were shot down so many times by posters saying the likes of:

It's just a cold or a flu and it will be the biggest storm in a teacup in a century.

• Administrators Posts: 54,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Blueshoe wrote: »
    One of my coworkers is married to a nurse. She has told him that health staff are "dropping like flies" . They are becoming infected in large numbers and obviously cannot work for a period . Moral is very low and they are rightly very worried. A serious staff shortage is starting to come to the boil.

My coworker is married to a nurse. My uncle's second cousin is a doctor. I had a chat in Lidl to a woman whose next door neighbour is married to a hospital porter.

These second / third / fourth hand info posts are getting tiresome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Beasty wrote: »
    They may have done getting on for 5,000 swabs at one stage, but had to back off doing them as the "lab" capacity was only capable of delivering around 1,500 to 2,000 a day

Personally I think the "positives" figures are pretty meaningless for understanding just how far this is embedded in the population. I do think testing remains very important for healthcare workers and those who are particularly vulnerable, including understanding if specific nursing homes are affected. Unfortunately the daily headline "figures" of those infected have become some kind of (completely inaccurate) measure of "how we are doing". They serve a purpose of giving the appearance we are fully informed of what's going on, but the Government and HSE simply do not have the resources to provide that sort of info

The death, hospitalisation and ICU figures are far more meaningful, but even they are ignoring people who have not tested positive but are infected

I posted earlier about South Korea's "testing, testing, testing" approach, but we've probably (and understandably given the shortage of testing capabilities) missed that boat, as has probably every other Western country with the possible exception of Germany

I agree to a degree.

We may of missed the testing boat now , but we should build up the testing resources for the longer term. We should aim for South Korea’s testing capacity in the long term.

There is a strong chance we may end up fighting this for the next 2 years. I’d be thinking if by June/ July they start to lower restrictions, it’s imperative that we are ready at that time to have the testing capacity to mange this over the coming years. If we can learn from this we can actually be ahead of the curve for the next wave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

ZX7R wrote: »
    Today's numbers of new infections will be interesting, results from Germanys testing of some of our back log are meant to start been released from today

I'm curious as to what we are going to see when they start coming back, yes there may be substantial increases but people need to remember that these increases might not be reflective of the current infection rate. Just to take an example, I have a close family member who contacted his GP on March 18th as he was exhibiting mild symptoms and who's wife is high risk, the test was carried out on March 22nd and here we are on April 4th and still no results. By the time he had the test done he felt he'd was practically over what ever he had, he had been isolating and by the March 24th / 25th completely recovered. Now if his test results came back positive in the next day or two technically it's giving a misleading picture of where we are now and there may be a lot of these. I would be far more interested in seeing the results of tests taken in the last day or two as I would hope at this point after several weeks of stringent measures we would start seeing new infection rates being less than 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

FVP3 wrote: »
    The hardest thing would be to totally cocoon elderly people so they can never see their grandchildren, or see a confirmation, or go to a wedding, or even have people visit. A vaccine is clear necessary.

We missed the boat on containment at least a month ago. Our lockdown is half assed at best - public transport and flights in and out of hotspots still open. A vaccine is at least 12 months away but more realistically 18 months. The government clearly have no exit plan from lockdown as they would already have mentioned one if they had for PR reasons.

In any case most people now in lockdown will no longer have jobs to go back to in 2-3 months so will be stuck at home.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

148 in ICU.

Majority under 65.

This is only getting started.

That's the total to date

31 have recovered and 15 died so there were112 in ICU at the time the last report was based on which I think was midnight Wesnesday and reported yesterday

148 in ICU.

Majority under 65.

This is worrying. It's showing the same as what Italy and other European countries have showed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

How is he?

Seemed grand.

• Advertisement

BanditLuke wrote: »
    We should have shut down the start of February and there was plenty of warning of how bad this would get, many just chose to ignore it or lambasted anyone who warned of the incoming disaster.

Are you still spouting this nonsense?

"Lambasted anyone who warned of the incoming disaster". You were lambasted because you were as full of it then as you are now. According to you, and the rest of the misery merchants, we were to be essentially eating the goo out of each others heads at this point.

Stheno wrote: »
    That's the total to date

31 have recovered and 15 died so there were112 in ICU at the time the last report was based on which I think was midnight Wesnesday and reported yesterday

Its not.

Its at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Stheno wrote: »
    That's the total to date

102 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Its not.

Its at the moment.

where can I see that information please

One thing I suppose the testing does is it keeps people in check to a degeee.

If we weren’t testing and the official numbers were not rising , some idiots would take that as a sign we are grand. I’d say there would be a lot of pressure on the government to open up services again.

For all the intelligence we think we have as a society there can be massive pockets of mass idiocy at times. Cheltenham, European soccer matches , still going on cruises in middle of pandemic, still traveling despite warnings, it really is remarkable amount of people going full retard.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mikeoc85

I’m really interested to see how much the death rate will have spiked in these countries at the end of the year.

For example Italy has roughly 600,000 deaths per year.

Ireland it is around 35,000.

Will that have spiked massively in these countries, or will people who would have died of other illnesses just be dying from Covid19 now?

The best reference will probably be countries who let it go unchecked or implemented very little of a lock down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

102 ?

Duh sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

148 in ICU.

Majority under 65.

There isn't 148 in ICU, that's 148 since the start of this. It's been covered here alot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

outside of boards my thoughts go to these Irish familys on the the deaths of their loved ones.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ellegordon3/status/1246105972390625282

Its not.

Its at the moment.

Where did you get that information from?

awec wrote: »
    My coworker is married to a nurse. My uncle's second cousin is a doctor. I had a chat in Lidl to a woman whose next door neighbour is married to a hospital porter.

These second / third / fourth hand info posts are getting tiresome.

Go for a nap if you are tíred.

• Advertisement

Probably 1st March the latest. Sounds like there was a number of cases here in mid feb already as it usually takes 3 weeks from onset to death and our first death was 10th March.

The important part of lockdown is slowing the spread but also working on a longterm plan to get the economy up and running while cocooning the old and vulnerable, but also putting in restrictions around social distancing.

Another week done. Impressive collective work from everyone between social distancing, cocooning and isolating. Incredible really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

mikeoc85 wrote: »
    I’m really interested to see how much the death rate will have spiked in these countries at the end of the year.

For example Italy has roughly 600,000 deaths per year.

Ireland it is around 35,000.

Will that have spiked massively in these countries, or will people who would have died of other illnesses just be dying from Covid19 now?

The best reference will probably be countries who let it go unchecked or implemented very little of a lock down.

It’ll be interesting alright. I think the numbers will be slightly higher but not massively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We missed the boat on containment at least a month ago. Our lockdown is half assed at best - public transport and flights in and out of hotspots still open. A vaccine is at least 12 months away but more realistically 18 months. The government clearly have no exit plan from lockdown as they would already have mentioned one if they had for PR reasons.

In any case most people now in lockdown will no longer have jobs to go back to in 2-3 months so will be stuck at home.
    Saw a piece earlier about how quickly this unity of purpose we all share will fracture afterwards. Looks like some people may not have bothered to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Its not.

Its at the moment.

It's been covered time and time again and clarified at the recent press conferences. The figure in the updates is cumulative. There have been recoveries from ICU while unfortunately deaths too

is_that_so wrote: »
    Saw a piece earlier about how quickly this unity of purpose we all share will fracture afterwards. Looks like some people may not have bothered to wait.

Is that so

Go for a nap if you are tíred.

Maybe take a break from this topic? The endless negativity cannot be healthy at this stage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

FVP3 wrote: »
    ( I know the Irish test figures are not every exact but wondering if anything specifically happened that day).
    I'd reckon that at this stage the only figures really worth regarding are the fatalities. We're pretty certain of them. OK there may be people dying at home that aren't figuring in those deaths, but it's likely a minority.

We must also look to Ireland's particular environment. I don't thine we can infer infection rates against hospitalisation and fatality rates the way we might in say Spain or Italy, or China, because of our very different population densities. If you were a virus where would you rather go on holiday, a spread out rural area of a thousand people, a suburban street of a thousand people, or an apartment building of a thousand people? The ratio of deaths to possible population background infection rates are going to look different in each one of those examples.

From what I've seen of our deaths/confirmed infections they seem heavily clustered in shared dwellings, care homes, workplaces and the like. Walking about in the community type transmission appears to be quite low so far. Certainly compared to other nations. Again because it's harder for a virus to spread where fewer people share common areas and surfaces. Just musing here, but if I were in charge I;d be thankful for the luck of our population densities, but I'd be addressing the still open publicly shared areas in this country as a matter of urgency. EG Public transport, vital workplaces and shops, by insisting on social distancing, hand hygiene and face masks in all cases, or no entry.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Is that so
    "?" :D

Seamai wrote: »
    I'm curious as to what we are going to see when they start coming back, yes there may be substantial increases but people need to remember that these increases might not be reflective of the current infection rate. Just to take an example, I have a close family member who contacted his GP on April 17th as he was exhibiting mild symptoms and who's wife is high risk, the test was carried out on April 22nd and here we are on April 4th and still no results. By the time he had the test done he felt he'd was practically over what ever he had, he had been isolating and by the 24th / 25th completely recovered. Now if his test results came back positive in the next day or two technically it's giving a misleading picture of where we are now and there may be a lot of these. I would be far more interested in seeing the results of tests taken in the last day or two as I would hope at this point after several weeks of stringent measures we would start seeing new infection rates being less than 2 weeks ago.

Thanks for this. I think maybe you should have wrote march there in some parts instead of April.

What you write does make sense.

Just on the last bit

"I would hope at this point after several weeks of stringent measures we would start seeing new infection rates being less than 2 weeks ago"

We've been on some form of a lockdown for the past few weeks. Even before Leo made his speech around about the 16th/17th of March introducing more restrictions, many people were taking this very seriously and were slowing down and reducing public spaces and crowds before Leo called for them.

We are now about 2-3 weeks with some form of a lockdown/restrictions and we are still seeing cases rising. This is something that worries me greatly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

What kind of ****e is this,
    No one knew what was around the corner last February, if they did buy all the masks and we were not affected by the virus, the likes of yourself would be on here now giving out about the costs to the tax payer

:eek:

Everybody knew.

From Boards January 31st #1502 Posted by Blergh
    "I'm sure it's grand but I have a big garage and there's no harm having a lot of spare tinned food, toilet paper and alcohol handrub."

By February 9th "It's been confirmed that there were four suspected cases of coronovirus at University Hosptial Limerick."

On February 10th UK declared "coronavirus outbreak a serious and imminent threat to public health."
    And on the same day Indeed staff had told 1000 of their staff to work from home.
    On Feb 11th Catmaniac Posted here : "I have just spoken to somebody with connections in the medical and political world, who has heard that we have several individuals in quarantine in Ireland."
    And Pc7 the Moderator replied “Did they say anything else Cat in terms of how they are preparing (HSE etc.)?”

By February 24, there were nearly 10,000 posts on Boards about Covid-19

We knew!

That first thread will tell it's own story.

Your random Tax Payer comment is just moot/absurd.

Anyway, at least The HSE are finally in negotiation with Irema.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Is that so

Some love pushing the negative agenda. I haven't seen anything but a monumental effort by everyone. If people are negative this early on they'll struggle. It could go on a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Are you still spouting this nonsense?

"Lambasted anyone who warned of the incoming disaster". You were lambasted because you were as full of it then as you are now. According to you, and the rest of the misery merchants, we were to be essentially eating the goo out of each others heads at this point.

Does lice count?

Balancing-Differences-and-Similarities1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mikeoc85

MadYaker wrote: »
    It’ll be interesting alright. I think the numbers will be slightly higher but not massively.

Yes me too. I lost all my grandparents to what from the outside seem like minor illnesses but they all hand underlying conditions as they were all well into their 80’s.

It’s striking down people that are perfectly healthy that is worrying...it doesn’t seem to be doing that expect in very very very rare cases (0.01% or less)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

owlbethere wrote: »
    Thanks for this. I think maybe you should have wrote march there in some parts instead of April.

Just on the last bit

"I would hope at this point after several weeks of stringent measures we would start seeing new infection rates being less than 2 weeks ago"

We've been on some form of a lockdown for the past few weeks. Even before Leo made his speech around about the 16th/17th of March introducing more restrictions, many people were taking this very seriously and were slowing down and reducing public spaces and crowds before Leo called for them.

We are now about 2-3 weeks with some form of a lockdown/restrictions and we are still seeing cases rising. This is something that worries me greatly.

Yes your correct about the dates, thanks for pointing that out. I will go back and correct.

Maybe take a break from this topic? The endless negativity cannot be healthy at this stage.

You'll have to make that decision yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

During the influenza pandemic of 1918, which lasted from January 1918 to December 1920, and infected one-third of the world's population, or about 500 million people, leading to about 50 million deaths -- about half a million of which were in the United States.

200403112529-san-fran-flu-clipping-exlarge-169.jpg

owlbethere wrote: »

Just on the last bit

I’d say anybody at Cheltenham or a sporting event in the last 3 weeks, who may of been infected would only be at the stage now where they may need hospital treatment.

Also our more full lockdown has been only just over a week. A lot of people didn’t take it seriously and were acting like ignorant muppets by gathering in big groups and changing nothing. Leo’s speech from USA was the beginning of the lockdown, but little changed for some time.

6 wrote: »
    Some love pushing the negative agenda. I haven't seen anything but a monumental effort by everyone. If people are negative this early on they'll struggle. It could go on a while.
    I actually think that some people are being affected by the length of time this has been going on and may not be fully aware they have become so negative. Mental health is now the biggest challenge IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Wombatman wrote: »
    During the influenza pandemic of 1918, which lasted from January 1918 to December 1920, and infected one-third of the world's population, or about 500 million people, leading to about 50 million deaths -- about half a million of which were in the United States.

200403112529-san-fran-flu-clipping-exlarge-169.jpg

Masks? 1918?

Hmmmmmmmmm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Pencil Neck

We do we need to bite the bullet and implement a herd immunity strategy. It’s the only way out of this nightmare.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-herd-immunity-lockdown-boris-johnson-graham-medley-a9447021.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Boggles wrote: »
    Masks? 1918?

Hmmmmmmmmm.
    Ah sure didn't you know B, they're pointless...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

We do we need to bite the bullet and implement a herd immunity strategy. It’s the only way out of this nightmare.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-herd-immunity-lockdown-boris-johnson-graham-medley-a9447021.html

Yes, yes we do. Go forth and implement dear Medical officer. Save us all.

6 wrote: »

It’s part of the reason I stopped coming here and only check in every so often.

I got all the anxiety and planning out of the way in February. Since the parade has been cancelled I’ve been so encouraged by the government and authorities. I don’t know how this is going to play out but I think they’ve done a great job under difficult circumstances.

Rememeber aswell, there are also people with their own agendas against FG. I’m not a party person but think it’s sick to use this crisis as an opportunity to undermine them.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »

If you think I'm going to join in to support a government who have proven from day one they don't have a clue what they are doing and are making it up as they go along or rather always after the sh*t hits the fan, you are sadly mistaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Hows the weather there from 2 weeks ago

There isn't 148 in ICU, that's 148 since the start of this. It's been covered here alot

They really need to be clearer.

Heard Tony Hoolalan in the radio saying there is CURRENTLY 148 in ICU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/04/why-what-we-think-we-know-about-the-uks-coronavirus-death-toll-is-wrong

The UK seems to be misrepresenting the amount who die. For instance Although 159 deaths were reported for 29 March, the true number of people to have died was at least 463. I suppose they hope the public will just accept the figures as they are published and not look at the updated figures a few days later. If they are not testing enough and then not reporting the deaths BJ's inept reaction is hidden to some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Maestro85

Dreadful absolutely dreadful. The lack of PPE is unacceptable and leaves the HSE and our government with serious questions to answer. May god help them over these next few weeks :(

Can confirm the above story myself. A friend that is a nurse is saying the same thing ("f"ing and blinding to be honest). I managed to get my hands on a couple of packets of proper masks (sealed) from my place of work (with permission) and donated them to the regional through her. I even threw in a few of my own as I have the industrial ones that will do the job if needed. HSE is going to have a real staffing problem building over the next 3 weeks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement