Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just saw France had over 23k cases yesterday?? have they changed their testing or something??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Drumpot wrote: »
    I didn’t say they shouldn’t of been more prepared, I said nobody took it seriously. How many countries in western democracies are handling this well?

Singling our the Irish government as “‘Making it up” is ignoring the fact that every other country is doing the same. As “making it up” goes, I think our government has done a better job then a lot of other countries have done.

It’s true that nobody has a blueprint on how to deal with this outbreak. Everyone is doing the best they can. But there does have to an exit strategy. The “as long as it takes” mantra is all very well but there should be some indication from the authorities, (political and medical), as to what conditions would lead to the easing of restrictions and what timescale they estimate for that. Of course they can’t be precise but if they can estimate roughly when the peak will happen they can also probably estimate when some restrictions can be lifted and which ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Conor McGregor ranting again. Now is not the time. After the crisis head’s of state can talk to the Chinese government and put pressure on.

Sweden aren’t recording case fatalities correctly, what a surprise.

What were Sweden doing...something similar to Germany in how deaths were recorded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

From the BBC
    The UK government is not alone in its concerns about warmer weather bringing people out of their homes. Crowds gathered at Sydney's popular beaches on Saturday, breaking Australia's social distancing measures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭plodder

Just saw France had over 23k cases yesterday?? have they changed their testing or something??
    I saw something about them changing their reporting methodology which has caused a statistical spike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Oh, you heard him on the radio, I thought you were mates

Weldone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

How can we be so sure there will be a second wave.

We already know it is different to any virus that has hit before, so it's just as likely not to re-emerge.

A post like this scaremongering and makes me think that some people actually want the whole nation to be wrapped in cotton wool for ever more.

BUT WHAT IF IT COMES BACK IN FIVE YEARS TIME!!!

You might want to read this thread if you haven`t already done so.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058062219

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Wombatman wrote: »
    Why not?

200402160305-02-influenza-1918-masks-restricted-exlarge-169.jpg

Red Cross volunteers wore face masks during the flu pandemic of 1918.

That's my point.

Lots of people wears masks during pandemics, even a 100 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,072 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

!

We can't, but we can reduce that risk greatly, if we make sure that anyone coming into the country is forced to self isolate for 14 days. They are doing it in Australia. Someone mentioned last week it wasn't possible to do that, but then as Micheal Martin has found out that what is unconstitutional/impossible, in his expert view, can become possible in a crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

From worldometers -

France: on April 3 the French Government reported 17,827 additional cases and 532 additional deaths from nursing homes that had not been reported previously. On April 2, it had reported 884 additional deaths.

Does this mean they weren't even counting nursing home cases at all? Not just deaths?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

awec wrote: »
    My coworker is married to a nurse. My uncle's second cousin is a doctor. I had a chat in Lidl to a woman whose next door neighbour is married to a hospital porter.

These second / third / fourth hand info posts are getting tiresome.

My coworker is married to a nurse though. And that's the information she told him.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Roger_007 wrote: »
    It’s true that nobody has a blueprint on how to deal with this outbreak. Everyone is doing the best they can. But there does have to an exit strategy. The “as long as it takes” mantra is all very well but there should be some indication from the authorities, (political and medical), as to what conditions would lead to the easing of restrictions and what timescale they estimate for that. Of course they can’t be precise but if they can estimate roughly when the peak will happen they can also probably estimate when some restrictions can be lifted and which ones.

The WHO guidelines on lifting restrictions were posted here last night and mirror some of what the CMO says must be in place for us to do so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Supermarkets will be a hot bed for the next few weeks! I'm donning my mask there !

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

We already know it is different to any virus that has hit before, so it's just as likely not to re-emerge.

A post like this scaremongering and makes me think that some people actually want the whole nation to be wrapped in cotton wool for ever more.

BUT WHAT IF IT COMES BACK IN FIVE YEARS TIME!!!

You opened your reply to cork boy saying how can you be so sure of a sceondwave......this is scaremongering....

If you were to go back and read the post you quoted and read it properly you will see that his post does that say there will be a second wave at winter time. His post does not say there will be a definite secondwave. His post says if and when a secondwave comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Sean 18

How come there's a lot more cases in Ireland compared to some states in the USA and their about ten times the size of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Are there any treatments coming along to fight this. Any real possibilities any hope for treatments. I know vaccines are a long time off but are there any viable treatments showing promising?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Sean 18 wrote: »
    How come there's a lot more cases in Ireland compared to some states in the USA and their about ten times the size of Ireland?

Precisely because they are about ten times the size of Ireland.

States with low population densities are already engaged in social isolation through geography alone. Much harder for it to spread that way, compared to, say, a state with a high population density like New York or California.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,501 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Probably because they're about ten times the size of Ireland

sadie1502 wrote: »
    Are there any treatments coming along to fight this. Any real possibilities any hope for treatments. I know vaccines are a long time off but are there any viable treatments showing promising?

Apart from Vic's vapo rub I haven't heard of any.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

bekker wrote: »
    New York firm, can't recollect name, also Healgen Scientific of Texas.

Randox Laboratories and Biopanda Reagents in Belfast are selling kits. Randox is also running employee testing for businesses.

randox who sponshorsed the chetleham races?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

They are behind us on the curve and the number of cases is dependent on how much testing you are doing. TBH, there is no real point trying to compare across countries

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There are four drugs that are part of a worldwide trial at the moment

mike_ie wrote: »
    Precisely because they are about ten times the size of Ireland.

States with low population densities are already engaged in social isolation through geography alone. Much harder for it to spread that way, compared to, say, a state with a high population density like New York or California.

Yes I noticed Arkansas temessse oklohoma etc have very few cases so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Realistically, when might the restrictions be lifted and people are allowed to go back to work, etc? Assuming the ones already in place start to work and the number of cases and death drop?

Late May, early June is my reading of it. Some restrictions could be lifted by then. Air transport will be the last thing to be relaxed I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Not that it matters because it’s horrible either way, but is it known whether they had underlying conditions or not?

I’m in that age group and have fairly bad asthma but I’m expected to go into work anyway by my employer.
    ask your gp for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

speckle wrote: »
    randox who sponshorsed the chetleham races?
    Irrelevant to the original posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The London Times is hinting that the British cabinet is considering the herd immunity policy again. They believe the damage to the economy, effects of a lockdown (domestic violence, mental health etc) outweigh the possibility of a huge loss of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,830 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Yep, several existing drugs are being trialled. They are probably the big hope in the short term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Yes it was going mental in China in January some people thought it wouldn't come here at all I knew even then it would land here it used be mentioned in the news for 20 seconds the government should have done away more then did they think it was some movie on China or something the way they ignored it at the start of the year they were letting kids go skiing to Italy when it was already causing mayhem there

This was one of the earliest threads on after hours when a number of people posted in Jan. It was predictable this would end up in Europe and spread like wildfire.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058048248

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Wibbs wrote: »
    I think at this stage anyone not recommending masks as part of our weaponry along with distancing and hand hygiene against community spread is a thundering fool, and a dangerous one, and should be ignored. I include the official stance by our HSE and people like Dr Cormican in that.

Most likely but they can't be got as is, or at least the FFP2 ones can't. Have an elderly relative that asked me to get some online for them but they're almost impossible to source. Amazon has some but much of the reviews are reporting that they end up being fakes after waiting weeks for them to arrive. Same story in the US with the N95 ones. I'm seeing people stateside on Twitter making the same complaints we are with regard to their availability. Can only imagine the situation if all medical professionals and politicians got behind the push for everyone to wear them, which makes me also think, as others do, that's the reason why some are perhaps reluctant to advise their usage, or at least make it mandatory.

As we seen recently Holland got lumbered with junk and would seem they won't be the only ones if there's any truth to the following:

https://twitter.com/dnewhauser/status/1246106177152442368

Late May, early June is my reading of it. Some restrictions could be lifted by then. Air transport will be the last thing to be relaxed I'd say.

More than likely the over 70s will have to stay inside till a vaccine is available id say tourism is completely gone for this year anyway

The London Times is hinting that the British cabinet is considering the herd immunity policy again. They believe the damage to the economy, effects of a lockdown (domestic violence, mental health etc) outweigh the possibility of a huge loss of life.

One of the chief advisers to the UK govt was saying today that they hope to be able to begin to lessen restrictions gradually by the end of May, but only if people adhere to current measures.

I'd say that sounds fairly reasonable to me.

It all depends on the peak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Maybe google some virologists see what their expert views are, they will probably differ as well.So much information flying around.

Paper never refused ink. Even in modern digital times. For an example look at Journal.ie. Probably the most useless "news" site in the country. One sided, half written and copied from other sources junk.

This was one of the earliest threads on after hours when a number of people posted in Jan. It was predictable this would end up in Europe and spread like wildfire.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058048248

Whatever way you look at it if China was locked down away sooner it could have been a different story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Supermarkets will be a hot bed for the next few weeks! I'm donning my mask there !

And yet I haven't heard any media reports of significant sickness amongst supermarket workers, and they are there all day every day?

If you go in and get your shopping efficiently, and unless you are unlucky enough to get directly sneezed on etc. and you come home and wash your hands, empty the goods, take off packaging where possible and put away the goods, and wash your hands again (sounds a lot of actions but not really), the risk should be reasonably small. I hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

This whole situation has been a real eye opener:

1). How many idiots are walking amongst us

2). How stupid the general population is to think that masks etc do not work or were of no use. 21st century propaganda in full swing. The main reason it’s rampant in nursing homes.

3). How easily led people are to blame China while our own government / rest of EU done sweet **** all until it was too late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I haven’t had to be in a supermarket in weeks. Been preparing for months and as such I don’t have to add to the crowds:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112586279&postcount=7131

Looking back it’s also remarkable how hard it was to have reasonable discussions with people who kept saying “scaremonger” to stop meaningful discussion. I really think part of the problem and reason for delayed reaction was because people put their fingers in their ears. They couldn’t even discuss the topic , let alone consider it might become a problem here.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112588645&postcount=7209

God, that seems like years ago!!!

lordlame wrote: »

2). How stupid the general population is to think that masks etc do not work or were of no use. 21st century propaganda in full swing. The main reason it’s rampant in nursing homes.

3). How easily led people are to blame China while our own government / rest of EU done sweet **** all until it was too late

Yes the government were away too late doing anything it was going crazy for 2 months then when Leo came on TV and said we have a problem people. all the headless chucks went out and emptied the shops of toilet paper

• Advertisement

China absolutely has responsibility if it was lying about the extent of the virus.

That doesn't mean European governments haven't made mistakes. But deliberately lying about the extent of the virus and arresting people who were trying to warn the world is nothing short of an international scandal.

4) The anally self-righteous internet experts!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

bilston wrote: »
    China absolutely has responsibility if it was lying about the extent of the virus.

That doesn't mean European governments haven't made mistakes. But deliberately lying about the extent of the virus and arresting people who were trying to warn the world is nothing short of an international scandal.

Chinese take the simplest approach: "Yeah, we're lying and we know that you know it and what will you do about it?" We'll do nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Since end of December we have all known enough about what happened in China to make better calls. China lied up until then but they equally gave us all months advance warning that we all ignored.

I don’t see how anything would of been different in terms of our response had we known in November.

148 in ICU.

Majority under 65.

This is only getting started.

Don’t tell me we are back to people thinking the cumulative numbers are what’s in ICU at this time.

As for the majority under 65 that’s also understandable as they are likely not admitting very elderly to ICU. Also I think on the last release of very detailed numbers during the week almost 80% of those admitted to ICU had an underlying condition.

I’m not trying to say things are good or that anyone can’t get very sick from this but when you see “the majority are under 65” it’s mostly people with underlying conditions not fit healthy people in their 20’s, 30’s and 40’s etc.

Don’t tell me we are back to people thinking the cumulative numbers are what’s in ICU at this time.
    Let it go, let it goooooo!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

citysights wrote: »
    Maybe google some virologists see what their expert views are, they will probably differ as well.So much information flying around.
    Epidemiologists for spread, counter measures etc, virologists for nature of virus and possible methods of attacking it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Maybe the Chinese were lying maybe the European governments were lying, maybe both made mistakes. It is something that no one seems to have handled perfectly , when does an omission become a lie?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

All EU countries knew in very early January that the virus is going to spread across the world, yet nearly no country have started preparing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

voluntary wrote: »
    All EU countries knew in very early January that the virus is going to spread across the world, yet nearly no country have started preparing.

Germany prepared well

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement