Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Sean 18

voluntary wrote: »
    All EU countries knew in very early January that the virus is going to spread across the world, yet nearly no country have started preparing.

Yes it used be on rte news for 20 seconds so many people died in China today forget about it it won't spread anywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

So the government or their advisers have fecked up in some areas- not shutting down air travel sooner, , but we are in a far better position than Spain, Italy and the UK in terms of mortality rate per head of population due to the fact we implemented restrictions sooner. That fact can't be denied.

Population size and density is incomparable with Ireland. Have you been to Madrid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

NIMAN wrote: »
    So the majority of people being admitted to ICU are under 65

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0404/1128465-covid19-coronavirus-tracker/

Yet we are told the average age of those dying is 82.

So are old people not even getting to ICU?

Edit: the post below kinda asks the same question.

Glad someone is reading. I always say if you want your news three days earlier come to boards.ie

3 days ago
    Yeah shows how important physical distancing is within the community. Again credit where it is due offers much more insight to what is going on. Fair play to "EPI Team" in hse.

One thing from that report. Of the deaths thus far 90% of deaths have been in 65+.

However ICU admissions much less skewed to older ages so any age can end up there. Hopefully they all recover.

507835.png

Well worth a read for everyone on here.

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/casesinireland/COVID-19%20Epidemiology%20report%20for%20NPHET%2031.03.2020v1-%20website%20version.pdf

What were Sweden doing...something similar to Germany in how deaths were recorded?

They are only recording people who die from Covid with no underlying health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

All EU countries knew in very early January that the virus is going to spread across the world, yet nearly no country have started preparing.

Ssssh ... don’t go against the xenophobia in here by talking sense :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sean 18 wrote: »
    Yes it used be on rte news for 20 seconds so many people died in China today forget about it it won't spread anywhere else
    Well SARS and MERS stayed very far away and this was "just a flu'" to start with, so not really a surprise how we collectively responded initially. We'll know for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Governments knew. There were official NATO warnings sent early January, maybe Ireland is not a NATO member, but it doesn't really matter. All Countries knew this thing is coming and it's coming with heavy weapons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

There were dozens of school trips in northern Italy while the virus was rampant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Germany prepared well

Germany has one of the best healthcare systems in the world. Not just that, they have vast resources and testing capacity that few countries can match. They also very quickly stopped medical resources leaving the country as Switzerland found out. I think it’s very difficult to work out how any country is handling this in comparison to others.

• Advertisement

I wonder if the weather is fine in June could they do the state exams out in the open? maybe that's the only way they will probably go ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,072 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Population size and density is incomparable with Ireland. Have you been to Madrid?

Yes, we do have a major advantage in that regard, which demonstrates how castastrophic it was for the Uk to not introduce strict lockdown measure sooner in London to slow the spread of the virus. We are now seeing the dire consequences of that ditherting.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

They are only recording people who die ftrom Covid with no underlying health issues.

I thought the WHO were issuing guidelines on what way deaths should be recorded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

xtal191 wrote: »

Shes ****ing unbearable

xtal191 wrote: »

She’s right areas of high unemployment less access to health insurance and health care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,721 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I wonder if the weather is fine in June could they do the state exams out in the open? maybe that's the only way they will probably go ahead

Yes...because our weather is so predictable...

Four poxy seasons in one hour, let alone one day!!

• Advertisement

There were dozens of school trips in northern Italy while the virus was rampant

Yes that was just pure stupidity and then letting in all the Italians a month ago from an epicentre of a pandemic we've a great government!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

I'd find that hard. The slightest breeze would blow your papers around and the brightness from direct sunlight. Unless some sort of tent structure?

She’s right areas of high unemployment less access to health insurance and health care.
    It's politicking at the worst possible time and really not helpful to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

ricero wrote: »
    Shes ****ing unbearable

Desperate scut, thrives on division and fostering it all to get the likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Seems US has taken goods in a third party country on grounds they are US property because they are manufactured by a us company (3m). Wonder what possible consequences if they deploy similar measures.

Our gov will defo appease them. Better get orders in now.

Uk might start taking paracetamol made in Waterford.
    We all know about the ventilators made here.

https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1246399767174950917?s=21

• Advertisement

Naggdefy wrote: »
    I'd find that hard. The slightest breeze would blow your papers around and the brightness from direct sunlight. Unless some sort of tent structure?

I wonder what will happen when the schools open in September must they all repeat a year even in primary school they will have to make their communion next year I can't see them going ahead this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I hear a lot of guys saying that they hate the word "moist", with me it's "cluster" as in a cluster of haemorrhoids or genital warts, just saying, I'm hearing it a lot the last few weeks.

walshb wrote: »
    Yes...because our weather is so predictable...

Four poxy seasons in one hour, let alone one day!!

That's the only time of year we get good weather when the exams are on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Seamai wrote: »
    I hear a lot of guys saying that they hate the word "moist", with me it's "cluster" as in a cluster of haemorrhoids or genital warts, just saying, I'm hearing it a lot the last few weeks.
    Just one of the many words and expressions we would like to see forgotten!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Over a 1000 health care workers are positive for Covid19. Claiming less than 10% directly due to work. Vast majority due to point contact from outside work.

If true this indicates there are a lot more positive cases in the population.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

UK Update

Another 708 in hospital deaths just been confirmed
    Another 3735 cases also confirmed.
    Just 6570 people were tested yesterday.

Looking more closely at numbers it seems that whilst 6570 people were tested, 10,984 tests were actually carried out which suggests that more than 50% of patients are being tested more than once.

Are they so unsure of the accuracy of these tests that they are testing the majority of patients twice, or is testing people multiple times being done to boost the numbers in view of the governments new targets?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

lordlame wrote: »
    Ssssh ... don’t go against the xenophobia in here by talking sense :pac:

How is it xenophobic? Some people are blaming the Chinese government because of their actions not because they are Chinese.

Silly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

auspicious wrote: »

all I can say is that itis very like the films I saw coming from Wuhan in the early days before the drastic shutdown. except for the indidivual cremations on the street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

• Advertisement

YFlyer wrote: »
    Over a 1000 health care workers are positive for Covid19. Claiming less than 10% directly due to work. Vast majority due to point contact from outside work.

In a weird way it might be better if there are hundreds of thousands infected and our icu and deaths level off over the coming weeks. Thus would mean CFR is much lower then anticipated and that we may have way more immune then we thought.

Best scenario appears to be that this has been more contagious then thought and most of us have it or had it. The deaths and sick are still horrible to see but it would certainly put a more reassuring context on the numbers. I hazzard a disappointing guess that this is not the case when you look at nuts figures in Italy/Spain.

Need to get those tests that check for antibodies. I had a temp of 39oC for a day couple of days weeks ago and didn’t think much of it. But for all I know my whole family had it and are immune.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

YFlyer wrote: »

60x > 1,000x, depending on whose figures you work off. 1,000x was a throw-away remark at UK press conference last week.

We probably have had north of 250,000 infections so far, using 60x, it has been wild in the community here since late Jan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,793 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Seems US has taken goods in a third party country on grounds they are US property because they are manufactured by a us company (3m). Wonder what possible consequences if they deploy similar measures.

Our gov will defo appease them. Better get orders in now.

Uk might start taking paracetamol made in Waterford.
    We all know about the ventilators made here.

https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1246399767174950917?s=21

France cancelled orders going to the NHS in Britain from French factories. Unless the US engage in high seas piracy they are just doing what other countries are or would do

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

fritzelly wrote: »
    That's completely different from what the poster is saying
    Healthcare workers have a primary goal - to help people less fortunate/sick (it's not a job for people involved, its more vocational). They won't just drop tools in an emergency

I’m not saying they will drop tools but if they don’t have the equipment needed it is impossible for them to treat patients safely. For their own protection, protection of others patients, other staff and their own families they need to be equipped in way that is safe.

Look how the Chinese are equipped even getting onto plans to check people’s temperatures

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's politicking at the worst possible time and really not helpful to anyone.

When is the truth not helpful? When is there a right time to speak the truth? You just don’t like it because she is saying it which is s lazy argument.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

devnull wrote: »
    UK Update

Looking more closely at numbers it seems that whilst 6570 people were tested, 10,984 tests were actually carried out which suggests that more than 50% of patients are being tested more than once.

Are they so unsure of the accuracy of these tests that they are testing the majority of patients twice, or is testing people multiple times being done to boost the numbers in view of the governments new targets?

Would they be including the testing and retesting of recovering patients?

As in a person tests positive. Then (afaik) they need 2 negative tests to be shown to be clear of the virus. That's how they were doing it on the cruise ship a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

10-michael-kountouris-greece.jpg

Michelangelo's famous depiction of God reaching out to touch Adam into life on the Sistine Chapel ceiling has changed.

;)

I had a discussion with a friend who is a teacher. He was saying they could just keep students couple meters apart.

I’m not sure that’s wise. Exams are not life or death, just a necessity within the system we have constructed. If one child dies or many children get infected from a cluster that can be traced back to exams, this will show up the negligence in having exams.

I sort of find it odd that these are considered relevant or so important to be had. Colleges will have to wait. Systems will have to just put up and change to prioritize the health of children who should not be put in harms way to facilitate an education system.

Plenty of reports that this virus can be more contagious then a few feet. It just feels that some authorities still don’t get it. I can understand them trying to work it out but not insisting on exams because the system demands it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Drumpot wrote: »
    I had a discussion with a friend who is a teacher. He was saying they could just keep students couple meters apart.

I’m not sure that’s wise. Exams are not life or death, just a necessity within the system we have constructed. If one child dies or many children get infected from a cluster that can be traced back to exams, this will show up the negligence in having exams.

I sort of find it odd that these are considered relevant or so important to be had. Colleges will have to wait. Systems will have to just put up and change to prioritize the health of children who should not be put in harms way to facilitate an education system.

Plenty of reports that this virus can be more contagious then a few feet. It just feels that some authorities still don’t get it. I can understand them trying to work it out but not insisting on exams because the system demands it.

Aye metal handles, lift buttons et all are all major vectors for transmission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

And yet I haven't heard any media reports of significant sickness amongst supermarket workers, and they are there all day every day?

If you go in and get your shopping efficiently, and unless you are unlucky enough to get directly sneezed on etc. and you come home and wash your hands, empty the goods, take off packaging where possible and put away the goods, and wash your hands again (sounds a lot of actions but not really), the risk should be reasonably small. I hope!

More articles suggesting the supermarket is quite risky. What are people's thoughts in terms of why we are not hearing about their staff falling ill so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

You can never trust Irish weather. There's a risk of getting either sunburnt or drenched or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

I don't think there is any one particular reason why the Italy and Spain death rates are so high.
    I believe it's a combination of:
    -High percentage of old people.
    -Lots of smokers (not even vapes, just ol fashioned cigarettes and cigars).
    -Poor air quality in cities (too many cars with those nasty diesel engines).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Achasanai wrote: »
    Would be good for us as I think it was blanket vaccination up until ten years ago.
    we had problems sourcing it from 2015. we started giving it in the 1950s. we stopped the booster circe 1995.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

More articles suggesting the supermarket is quite risky. What are people's thoughts in terms of why we are not hearing about their staff falling ill so?

It is strange. There is no doubt they are the riskiest places now purely down to traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

Absolutely useless with figures. Are we doing good or doing bad. When i look at deaths per million I think we are doing bad but then i live in hope we are doing good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭blackcard

devnull wrote: »
    UK Update

Probably different time frames. 6750 tested yesterday but 10984 test results, from previous day/days received of which 3735 cases were positive

When is the truth not helpful? When is there a right time to speak the truth? You just don’t like it because she is saying it which is s lazy argument.
    Personally would put it in category of tone deaf. People are getting sick and dying everywhere. In the middle of a pandemic is not the right time The reason there are issues for her to "highlight" is the overall US response to this. She can come back to it afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

bekker wrote: »
    60x > 1,000x, depending on whose figures you work off. 1,000x was a throw-away remark at UK press conference last week.

We probably have had north of 250,000 infections so far, using 60x, it has been wild in the community here since late Jan.

Its what I heard on the 2 pm news headlines. I think the reporter said 6% of healthcare workers tested positive was directly work related. I could be wrong. Will need to listen again later.

True positive values in the community would likely be 15 to 20 times higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    Don't be so dramatic, unless you're over 85 the odds of you dying are extremely low

Less than 1% of the UK population died in WW2 (only about half a million). Anybody in the UK who said that the war might kill them was consequently being a bit of a drama queen, unless they happened to be in the RAF in south east England.

Incidentally the world mortality of WW2 at 3% is about the same as Covid-19 (or at least the risk that the virus poses). Food for thought.

BluePlanet wrote: »
    I don't think there is any one particular reason why the Italy and Spain death rates are so high.
    I believe it's a combination of:
    -High percentage of old people.
    -Lots of smokers (not even vapes, just ol fashioned cigarettes and cigars).
    -Poor air quality in cities (too many cars with those nasty diesel engines).

The smokers thing is an interesting variable. I recall Dr Aylward stating that in their initial work in China they didn’t single out smoking as a major factor explaining deaths. Seems very difficult to believe that a virus that creates severe rhespiratory issues Would not be more risky for smokers.

I would also wonder if spain and Italy are more huggy, kissy or touchy communities. That would lead to virus spreading much quicker.

Another thing that’s been surprising has been the supposed lower numbers in India and third world or poorer countries. Is that due to testing limits or something else? I think WHO said that some third world countries may lack the resources to manage this but have better experience with outbreaks (like Ebola) so may be able to handle them better.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement