Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Mwengwe wrote: »
    So just exhaling is enough to infect someone?

Yes, that's the reason for 2-metre social distancing.

https://youtu.be/E3URhJx0NSw?t=75

• Site Banned Posts: 93 ✭✭Marsden35

Roger_007 wrote: »
    You cannot maintain physical distance from others when you have a mass transit system like the tube in London. Even on buses you in an enclosed space with dozens of others.
    The only effective way to stop the spread is to close down public transport altogether. That’s what they did in Wuhan.
    It’s also noteworthy that the hardest hit areas seem to be large densely populated cities with extensive mass transit systems. Just compare Los Angelus and New York which have similar populations. NY has 10 times the number of cases that LA has, probably because NY has a subway and LA doesn’t.

They can't close the tubes because essential workers use them. Many Londoners don't have cars. The only way to get to work is public transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Marsden35 wrote: »
    The reason why MOSSAD were brought in?

Israel basically decided to treat the virus like a terrorist and set their internal and external security services on it. Seems to be working so far.

They bought 100k test kits the other week, missing the reagents!

https://m.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/Mossad-brought-100000-coronavirus-tests-to-Israel-report-621532/amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,012 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Good news, the projected numbers requiring ICU in Ireland in the worst case scenario likely to be reduced this evening according to Fergal Bowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

These are the modelling projections similar to which Dr.Fauci and Dr.Birx are using in the White House.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

They're predicting 82,141 deaths in the US by the years end. The UK models will be something similar, except they're 5 times smaller so you need to scale those numbers down by 5, and down by 66 or so for Ireland.

As you can see. They're predicting 4,631 by April 1st and then MASSIVE jump to 59,589 by May 1st then a much slower rise to 82,141 by July 15th, where it finishes.

April is going to be the month where most of this damage is being done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

rusty cole wrote: »
    jasus not enough when she's offering pearls of wisdom like this.
    I think a lot in the media are loving this to be honest, they're all trying
    to out "ghoul" each other. In general most that work in that industry are scum anyway. Matt cooper must be soiling himself with all this too

I'm a member of the media, and you are talking ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Israel basically decided to treat the virus like a terrorist and set their internal and external security services on it. Seems to be working so far.

Am I being cynical in interpreting this as MOSSAD essentially stealing other countries' supplies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,337 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

When was that? because yesterday they said they were testing 5000 a day, have you a link? it would be encouraging if they were. It would be a good start.

What is your issue every time somebody posted the press conference figure? Constantly asking for links instead of listening to or reading the news. And always incredulous when given the released figured?

It's getting repetitive and is beyond credibility that you haven't come across these reports for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    That what I'm doing. A similar country to Ireland in terms of population and density. I think they realise that too. They are different to larger European counties so can afford to take a different approach.
    Quite a number of Swedes live alone and they socially distance naturally so they were following S Korea right out of the box!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Pencil Neck

Why? They are ineligible or have completed incorrect bank or PPS number. What would like to have happened ?

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »

Yeah those were from another 'enemy' state. Bit of a woopsie, but they've sorted it out now and got the necessary liquid.

Picturing MOSSAD flying around Arabia on the hunt for face masks makes me giggle for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I am not a medical person and have no real medical knowledge, but my understanding of the word asymptomatic is people who are infected by a decease while showing mild to no symptoms. If this is correct, then to my way of thinking we would 1. need to identify these folks and get them to isolate.

I think asymptomatic people with mild symptoms, even if only one symptom might present themselves for testing as a 2. precautionary measure as I believe the majority are a fazed by the scenes in Italy, Spain etc. I understand that there will also be folks who present who turn out not to be affected at the time of testing and maybe just have a cold or flu or are just hypochondriacs.

As I have said in previous posts I understand the rational of using the limited supply of test kits and resources on those who are most likely affected and in the at risk groups. But I don't see how tightening up the testing criteria to 3. those with multiple symptoms, who most likely are affected finds more cases if those asymptomatic cases with mild symptoms are missed. Yes you find people who definitely are infected, but possibly miss so many more who are also affected, but less severely so.

The possibility is that these folks didn't get tested, so don't think they have the virus so 4. go on about their life, shopping once a week, spending time with the families at home, going to work if required and spreading the virus to others who could be badly affected by the virus.

1. We don't have the time or resources to test anyone who is asmptomatic at the moment.

2. We don't have the time or resources to test people as a "precaution" in the middle of a worldwide pandemic. People are sick and dying. Those are the people who need our resources.

3. You're contradicting yourself there. You said don't see how testing those most likely to have it finds more cases.

4. No one should be currently going on about their life as normal or visiting family. We should all be carrying on asuming everyone has it. Those that have to work should have social distancing measures in place, effective handwashing practices and limited contact with each other or the public.

We are not trying to stop the spread of the virus, because we can't.
    We are trying to slow it down so that the health service can deal with the number of people that need medical care.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    What is your issue every time somebody posted the press conference figure? Constantly asking for links instead of listening to or reading the news. And always incredulous when given the released figured?

It's getting repetitive and is beyond credibility that you haven't come across these reports for yourself.

There's a word for that kind of thing....won't come to me....on the tip of my tongue

Am I being cynical in interpreting this as MOSSAD essentially stealing other countries' supplies?

Nah, they purchased it all.

And with some other kit they exchanged medical knowledge for hazmat suits. Middle east bartering system. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Israeli Forces Demolish Emergency Coronavirus Clinic for Palestinians

Grand lads all together the Israelis

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

When is the HSE briefing?

TBF some posters are just anxious about the numbers being right, others are outright immovable sceptics.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    You cannot maintain physical distance from others when you have a mass transit system like the tube in London. Even on buses you in an enclosed space with dozens of others.
    The only effective way to stop the spread is to close down public transport altogether. That’s what they did in Wuhan.
    It’s also noteworthy that the hardest hit areas seem to be large densely populated cities with extensive mass transit systems. Just compare Los Angelus and New York which have similar populations. NY has 10 times the number of cases that LA has, probably because NY has a subway and LA doesn’t.

LA has a.subway system with 300,000 using it daily, but cars and buses are more prevalent forms of transportation

https://www.businessinsider.com/los-angeles-subway-2019-4?amp

When is the HSE briefing?
    5.45 was mentioned earlier. Dunno if it's changed in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

You keep asking about figures then pull some out of your hole.

Then when posters repsond to you, you disregard what they say and claim reported figures have been debunked.

I wouldn't heed anything you have to say because you don't know what you are talking about.

Thanks for that but no need for the insults.

I keep asking about numbers and people give me numbers but not to official figures. How can we understand what is going on if the HSE don't publish in writing the numbers tested and processed?

I would love to see that 5000 or 10000 test have been processed per day in the last week but most of HSE statements seem aspirational at best.

Maybe you can respond to me with some official figures like up to date tests and up to date test that have been processed with an official link. Then we can have a discussion on real figures as apposed to aspirational ones.

I think there people are starting not to believe the HSE numbers on testing because of their lack of transparency and because testing and results are taking so long and also some testing station seem to be closing. In turn how can we then trust that we are catching as many people who are infected if we don't know how many are being tested and processed. If we cannot believe the official numbers we create a vacuum that is filled by rumour and fear.

That is not where we want to be in the middle of a pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Shelga

Might be a silly question, but would being a smoker count as an underlying condition?

Does anyone know have there been any data trend analysis done on the ratio of deaths/serious conditions to smokers?

Israeli Forces Demolish Emergency Coronavirus Clinic for Palestinians

Grand lads all together the Israelis

:(

I'd be surprised at this news and seems quite iffy. The Israelis and Palestinians have setup a joint Corona task force and are having daily meetings.

It was a joint Israel-PA decision to lockdown Bethlehem quickly as soon as infections were detected. One of the first lockdowns outside of China. A vital decision which has undoubtedly saved many lives. Only one death in Palestine so far.

Maybe you can respond to me with some official figures like up to date tests and up to date test that have been processed with an official link. Then we can have a discussion on real figures as apposed to aspirational ones.

Maybe you should do your own research, since you don't want to believe what people/the HSE are telling you. It's your contention that the HSE's figures are aspirational. Prove it or shut up.

davedanon wrote: »
    I'm a member of the media, and you are talking ****e.

and like a typical member of the media, you cannot differentiate between the words most and all... also it's always shyte talk when you don't agree eh Matt??
    I don't agree I'm talking shyte but I accept your point of view :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

HSE briefing has been moved to 7pm. Fergal Bowers reporting that the modelling presented will suggest Ireland will be considerably less effected than previously thought.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that but no need for the insults.

I keep asking about numbers and people give me numbers but not to official figures. How can we understand what is going on if the HSE don't publish in writing the numbers tested and processed?

I would love to see that 5000 or 10000 test have been processed per day in the last week but most of HSE statements seem aspirational at best.

I think there people are starting not to believe the HSE numbers on testing because of their lack of transparency and because testing and results are taking so long and also some testing station seem to be closing. In turn how can we then trust that we are catching as many people who are infected if we don't know how many are being tested and processed. If we cannot believe the official numbers we create a vacuum that is filled by rumour and fear.

That is not where we want to be in the middle of a pandemic.

What are you on about? They have published the figures and clearly stated them in briefings. Do you want them to send you personal links or something? The lack of transparency is your perception and it appears no amount of press releases or briefing will alter that.

HSE briefing has been moved to 7pm. Fergal Bowers reporting that the modelling presented will suggest Ireland will be considerably less effected than previously thought.

Interesting that the UK this morning said something along the same lines. Not that it won’t be bad, but it will be less bad then was anticipated

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,842 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's plastered over the warnings in the OP. Stay civil to each other - if you cannot you will find posting privileges removed from this and all future variants on this thread (certainly up to and including Thread IC - you might be getting another XMas Amnesty when we hit C)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

While good news I hope it won’t start people getting complacent. The measures obviously work but it can all change very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

I'd be surprised at this news and seems quite iffy. The Israelis and Palestinians have setup a joint Corona task force and are having daily meetings.

It was a joint Israel-PA decision to lockdown Bethlehem quickly as soon as infections were detected. One of the first lockdowns outside of China. A vital decision which has undoubtedly saved many lives. Only one death in Palestine so far.

And what about Gaza ?

https://www.palestinechronicle.com/amid-coronavirus-fears-israeli-warplanes-artillery-attack-locations-in-gaza/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

is_that_so wrote: »
    5.45 was mentioned earlier. Dunno if it's changed in the meantime.

7pm from the Dept of Health according to Fergal Bowers.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1244642909170868226?s=20

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,598 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

While good news I hope it won’t start people getting complacent. The measures obviously work but it can all change very quickly.

The fear I have is that we will end up being cyclical again. Numbers are down. Not as bad. Slowly back to work. 4 months time, back to where we started again

rusty cole wrote: »
    and like a typical member of the media, you cannot differentiate between the words most and all... also it's always shyte talk when you don't agree eh Matt??
    I don't agree I'm talking shyte but I accept your point of view :-)

I think everyone here can read for themselves that your opinions are ill thought-out and amount to little more than ignorant prejudice, so I'll just say this. You are wrong. As well as offensive, but that goes with the territory.

These are the modelling projections similar to which Dr.Fauci and Dr.Birx are using in the White House.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

They're predicting 82,141 deaths in the US by the years end. The UK models will be something similar, except they're 5 times smaller so you need to scale those numbers down by 5, and down by 66 or so for Ireland.

As you can see. They're predicting 4,631 by April 1st and then MASSIVE jump to 59,589 by May 1st then a much slower rise to 82,141 by July 15th, where it finishes.

April is going to be the month where most of this damage is being done.

Probably not a direct proportional relationship either. Factors such as population density need to taken into account as well as current status, measures etc. Even lookng at US data, NY is expected to Peak on 10th April, the country on the 17th, while Florida is not projected to peak until 4th May

davedanon wrote: »
    Maybe you should do your own research, since you don't want to believe what people/the HSE are telling you. It's your contention that the HSE's figures are aspirational. Prove it or shut up.
    I have already stated the figures I know and have linked to them but here it is again.

The most recent official figure I can find is "To date, 17,992 tests have been carried out in laboratories across the country, as of midnight last night."

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/e378fd-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-on-tuesday-/

So as of the 23 March just over 700 tests per day since the outbreak started in Ireland. Of course there must have been more since then but these are the only figures I can find.

If you can point me to more recent statements from the HSE please do.
    As i said to a previous poster there is no need for vitriol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭rameire

Leo is on TV now.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

antodeco wrote: »
    The fear I have is that we will end up being cyclical again. Numbers are down. Not as bad. Slowly back to work. 4 months time, back to where we started again
    Even if is we now know what to do plus there will be a lot more knowledge and there may even be some mitigating treatments. It will not be novel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Spare a thought for supermarket workers.

https://twitter.com/QuickTake/status/1244642399835623430?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Great to see innovations made avaiable for free.

First, Italian company Isinnova shared 3D printed adapter to turn snorkeling mask into a non-invasive ventilator

https://www.3dprintingmedia.network/isinnova-shares-3d-printed-adapter-to-turn-snorkeling-mask-into-a-non-invasive-ventilator/
    Now:MIT open sources cheap ventilator design in response to worldwide shortage

The E-Vent project aims to create a $100 ventilator suitable for the COVID-19 outbreak.
    The project, including design and safety specifications, can be accessed through the E-Vent website : https://e-vent.mit.edu/

https://www.zdnet.com/article/mit-to-open-source-low-cost-ventilator-in-response-to-worldwide-shortage/

Ventilator
    LMB_3322-1-1536x1025.jpg

What are you on about? They have published the figures and clearly stated them in briefings. Do you want them to send you personal links or something? The lack of transparency is your perception and it appears no amount of press releases or briefing will alter that.

Why don't you link to HSE press releases about these tests that have been carried out in laboratories across the country if they have been published. I would be happy if we are doing 5 or 10 thousand a day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Probably not a direct proportional relationship either. Factors such as population density need to taken into account as well as current status, measures etc. Even lookng at US data, NY is expected to Peak on 10th April, the country on the 17th, while Florida is not projected to peak until 4th May

Past performance is not an indicator of future results.

Without any root cause as to what/who/how it's affecting people, it's a little meaningless. Ireland wildly overstated it's suggestions, for eg. And it's better to do that then the other way, right.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Right. I just heard something on the news and I'm wondering did I hear it right. Some politician (could've been Coveney, I didn't actually hear who) said we should prepare for more restrictions (and that's understandable). He also said that there should be a verifiable system put in place to quarantine people travelling from Italy and the US. WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER COUNTRIES BADLY AFFECTED?? Does Coronavirus have a passport? Is it less deadly depending on its "nationality"? See, provided that I didn't mis-hear, stuff like THIS is what's wrong with how we're going about things. Like the 100 indoors/500 outdoors from the first round of restrictions... 'cause viruses can count! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I have already stated the figures I know and have linked to them but here it is again.

The most recent official figure I can find is "To date, 17,992 tests have been carried out in laboratories across the country, as of midnight last night."

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/e378fd-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-on-tuesday-/

So as of the 23 March just over 700 tests per day since the outbreak started in Ireland. Of course there must have been more since then but these are the only figures I can find.

If you can point me to more recent statements from the HSE please do.
    As i said to a previous poster there is no need for vitriol.

They update weekly as to how many tests they have done.

They were testing 2k a day on 23 March.

There's 5,000 tests done dailly today.

I linked both figures for you yesterday on two separate occasions (not realising that I was responding to the same person).

I'm not sure you're using the best sources. A rocket was fired at Israel and in return Israel hit some empty fields.

If you want a Palestinian source, Ramallah News is a little bit more accurate but my advice is to check versions from both sides of the conflict.

So there's a charity currently building a field hospital in Gaza in preparation for an outbreak.

Israel has sent many tonnes of disinfectant and also Corona test kits.

There is also a plan for an Israeli field hospital next to Gaza should the need arise.

So far the small outbreak in Gaza has been contained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

is_that_so wrote: »
    Quite a number of Swedes live alone and they socially distance naturally so they were following S Korea right out of the box!

I live in western Norway. We are seeing a drop in numbers these past days(or at least a level off.)People don't mix here like they do back home. People keep to themselves, dark winters keep peeps inside too,although the vit D and higher Temps might help us soon.

Ps we had 6000 hospital staff quarantined and a few hundred police officers. So we got off to a good start here

We are entering our 3rd week at home with two kids home from child care.
    The two weeks before these previous 3 both kids were ill as well as their mother.
    I lost both jobs as they were connected to the cruise ship traffic.

Why don't you link to HSE press releases about these tests that have been carried out in laboratories across the country if they have been published. I would be happy if we are doing 5 or 10 thousand a day.

Not being sharp but why don't you just watch the press conferences instead of expecting up to date figures on some websites when there are more things for reduced staff to do? It's simple. Watch the press conference or read about them in the paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Imperial College Professor says there could be up to 1.3 million currently infected people in the UK, representing about 2% of the population. In central London as much as 3-5% of the population may currently be infected
    https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-early-signs-outbreak-slowing-in-uk-says-imperial-college-professor-11965624

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

DubInMeath wrote: »
    LA has a.subway system with 300,000 using it daily, but cars and buses are more prevalent forms of transportation

https://www.businessinsider.com/los-angeles-subway-2019-4?amp

LA has a mostly overground light rail system. It’s relatively little used for the size of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Military agencies are experts at logistics and distribution as well as command and control, far more so than most civilian branches of government.

The command and control coming out of Ireland and most European countries is chaotic at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement