Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

owlbethere wrote: »

First of all, staff as carers should be checking their own temperatures every morning before work anyways. If there's any temperature, then they shouldn't be going into work in case they have the virus.

Would they still get paid for a day off if calling in with like 37C?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

bekker wrote: »
    Please read and try to understand my origin post and discern the context of 'life and death', absolutely nothing to do with children's perceptions.

As risk is an integral part of life, it follows that all decisions of necessity involve balancing risks.

Organising a 'safe' environment for 125k is simpler to organise than doing so for 960k, plus 835k are not even exposed to any perceived risk.

Way off COVID-19, so that's it as far as I'm concerned.

An exam is not “a decision of necessity”. They aren’t necessary, they are just part of a system we adopted.

It might be easier to organise a safe environment for less people but you haven’t hypothesised how this would be done. Im stating that to have exams in normal exam environment , while schools are closed is irresponsible. Having exams in same environment and presuming an extra few feet and a couple of masks is irresponsible unless evidence proves beyond doubt there is no risk to a child in this scenario.

This is an uncertain time and we are dealing with a virus we don’t have all the answers on. To make very potentially damaging presumptions so you can sit a non essential school exam is irresponsible.

We like to think we know everything and are in control of our environment when we are not in control of much. We are in control of whether or not we have exams, in the absence of knowledge , to push ahead with exams is irresponsible. Like I said, whatever they do, if one child dies because of an exam , serious questions will correctly be asked. Nobody should die from an exam whether it be to pressure to do well or from a pandemic that wasn’t considered important enough to change the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

ettravel wrote: »
    USA.
    will this finally wake the US population up into realising what an unjust , unequal , rat race of a kip they live in.

certainly far from perfect in the EU countries but at least most of the time, most have good intentions. I love the US but will this be the stray that breaks the canals back.

We have higher deaths per million and higher cases per million. Why single out the US?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    We definitely include nursing home statistics anyway and I presume at home too etc.

Testing in nursing homes is definitely an issue though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Nermal

Drumpot wrote: »
    Having exams... ...irresponsible unless evidence proves beyond doubt there is no risk to a child in this scenario.

Like I said, whatever they do, if one child dies because of an exam , serious questions will correctly be asked.

Is this going to be the new standard now for all future human activities?

Nothing can happen unless we can prove there's zero risk of anyone dying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

'Irrelevant to the original posts.' bekker
    surely the Randox scientists who are making these covid tests would have known the folly of letting the chetleham races go ahead. could they have pulled their sponsorship? talked to the organisers/uk gov. or evenat a last resort ring fenced their money for more sanitation purposes?
    why were they sponsoring it.DO they have a vetinary arm?
    anyhow apologies if irelevant.

Whats the story with most irish patients in ICU being under 65?
    Are more young people infected in general in IReland ?

From what I’ve heard they have planned from early on not to admit certain groups to ICU or possibly even to hospital. Rather treat best as they can/make them comfortable where they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

devnull wrote: »
    Same is going on in UK, deaths in prison, nursing homes, care homes, hospices and residential settings are not being counted in statistics, only those in hospital.

The chief medical officer in the UK said a few weeks ago that they would only report 'excess' deaths (another fiddlefactor to minimize the numbers).

They did not test those at home with symptoms suggestive of coronavirus at all.

So the death count and the number of cases in the UK are pure works of fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

is_that_so wrote: »
    Personally would put it in category of tone deaf. People are getting sick and dying everywhere. In the middle of a pandemic is not the right time The reason there are issues for her to "highlight" is the overall US response to this. She can come back to it afterwards.

Still don’t understand why we can’t discuss this now. Also the fact that health care was poorly funded before this I’ve been told to shut up about it. Personally when people try to silence anyone my ears prick up and I listen more closely to what is being said. She’s a politician she has a mandate to discuss it. It’s not okay because you don’t like her but if Joe rogan tweeted it, it would be a grand statement.

• Advertisement

From what I’ve heard they have planned from early on not to admit certain groups to ICU or possibly even to hospital. Rather treat best as they can/make them comfortable where they are.

So... we can presume that the dreaded triage has started already ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

So... we can presume that the dreaded triage has started already ?

No, did you even read the post? They planned from early on not to bring them to ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Update: Well Mother in Law’s Nursing Home is now officially a Cluster*uck.

This is beyond hand-wringing. I remember NHI being admonished for acting Unilaterally on March 6th.

The Nursing Home would not say how many – because that’s confidential. CONFIDENTIAL?! Are you kidding me?!

After everything it’s a fkng secret?! Are we still doing that?!

This is the Frontline. It’s a bloody disaster and not one mask between any of the staff.
    Finally, theCovid-19 support scheme has been announced. Well it’s a bit late!

Remind me again Expert Teams…what is the most vulnerable age Group? The elderly? And where would find them then? Oh! The Nursing Homes!

Forgive me Boards, I’m so frustrated. The last time I saw her was through a closed window. She was sleeping.

Had Nursing Homes Ireland NOT acted when they did, we would now be looking at complete decimation!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

Logan Roy wrote: »
    No, did you even read the post? They planned from early on not to bring them to ICU.

To bring who? There would need to be a triage to determine if a person should go to ICU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

BanditLuke wrote: »
    No. It seems to be a common misconception of this virus that it is only killing old people. I posted a video yesterday of a doctor from Wales saying the vast majority of people in the hospital ICU are 55 and under.

Your video definitely trumps all of the other evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

devnull wrote: »
    The official death metric released by the Department of Health and Social Care in the UK is measured by deaths of those in hospital. The British Government are not reporting on overall deaths, despite saying they would.

Today's official updates on death numbers was
    As of 5pm on 3 April, of those hospitalised in the UK who tested positive for coronavirus, 4,313 have sadly died.

As well, what some of you may have missed, is the way testing is being reported has changed as well, they are now reporting number of tests rather than the number of people tested, which makes the figures look better than they otherwise would.

For example, on 3rd April, only 6,500 people were tested, despite the headline figure of tests being almost 11,000. This is something to watch out for, since originally the Government were talking about targets based on numbers of people, now they are talking about number of tests.

The UK on seems to report the numbers who die in hospital, they then update a few days later with real figures.

Nermal wrote: »

That’s a very disingenuous post. I’ve not said we can’t do anything unless there is zero risk.

There is a risk to peoples health right now and we don’t fully know to what degree. I can’t leave my house because of it. Schools are closed because of it. This is a crisis situation, not a hypothetical discussion on what we should do if it happened.

Exams are not a necessity , I don’t really understand how you find that hard to grasp. We adapt how we grade pupils, it can be that simple if we want.

Logan Roy wrote: »

So it's not triage unless it is done at the door of ICU ?

Triage done at a distance has exactly the same effect on the elderly patients.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

This is beyond hand-wringing. I remember NHI being admonished for acting Unilaterally on March 6th.

The Nursing Home would not say how many – because that’s confidential. CONFIDENTIAL?! Are you kidding me?!

This is the Frontline. It’s a bloody disaster and not one mask between any of the staff.

Remind me again Expert Teams…what is the most vulnerable age Group? The elderly? And where would find them then? Oh! The Nursing Homes!

Forgive me Boards, I’m so frustrated. The last time I saw her was through a closed window. She was sleeping.

Had Nursing Homes Ireland NOT acted when they did, we would now be looking at complete decimation!!!

That`s terrible.:( I hope she will be OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Anywhere to find out the number of deaths per day in Ireland, inclusive of all , not just from coronavirus covid-19?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Seamai wrote: »
    I'm curious as to what we are going to see when they start coming back, yes there may be substantial increases but people need to remember that these increases might not be reflective of the current infection rate. Just to take an example, I have a close family member who contacted his GP on March 18th as he was exhibiting mild symptoms and who's wife is high risk, the test was carried out on March 22nd and here we are on April 4th and still no results. By the time he had the test done he felt he'd was practically over what ever he had, he had been isolating and by the March 24th / 25th completely recovered. Now if his test results came back positive in the next day or two technically it's giving a misleading picture of where we are now and there may be a lot of these. I would be far more interested in seeing the results of tests taken in the last day or two as I would hope at this point after several weeks of stringent measures we would start seeing new infection rates being less than 2 weeks ago.

It will at least give an indication of how widespread invections are of not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Lavinia wrote: »
    Total number of deaths in Italy for Q1 (comparison):

2020 - 166.407
    2019 - 185.967
    2018 - 187.991
    2017 - 192.045

I don't have those in English, sorry, but these are the numbers
    Going back a few hours in the thread now but the above post seems to have gotten very little discussion except for someone disputing the figures and saying that reduced road deaths etc. during the lockdown may account for the lower 2020 figure (unlikely given that road deaths in Italy are about 3300 per year)

To the poster Lavinia, what is your source for the Q1 2020 mortality figure. It doesn't matter if the source is not in English. It seems unlikely to me that Italy would already have reliable mortality stats for Q1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Nermal

That’s a very disingenuous post. I’ve not said we can’t do anything unless there is zero risk.

Oh I must have got confused there when you said:
    irresponsible unless evidence proves beyond doubt there is no risk to a child in this scenario.

Wombatman wrote: »
    We have higher deaths per million and higher cases per million. Why single out the US?

The difference is slight - 24 vs 23 in deaths per million and the US is clearly on a higher and more exponential trend. - it should pass Ireland today.

In fact Ireland is just one place above the US on both deaths per million and cases per million ( which is hardly reliable given testing differences anyway).

it's interesting to see how some Irish people are more upset with criticism of Trump or America rather than their own people. A weird case of transferred nationalism.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Anywhere to find out the number of deaths per day in Ireland, inclusive of all , not just from coronavirus covid-19?

We are talking about coronavirus deaths here... I repeat :-
    The chief medical officer in the UK said a few weeks ago that they would only report 'excess' deaths (another fiddlefactor to minimize the numbers).

They did not test those at home with symptoms suggestive of coronavirus at all.

This is a genuine criticism. Much of what Ireland has done has been, if tardy, ok in general. The nursing homes are a mess though.

I'd like to see some criminal penalties, there.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

I was thinking statisticks from something like Rip.ie might be interesting in a few months time. I know not every death is advertised but the vast majority are I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.the-sun.com/news/622235/sex-workers-coronavirus-japan-tokyo/

Dozens of sex workers in Tokyo red light district test positive for covid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

So it's not triage unless it is done at the door of ICU ?

Triage done at a distance has exactly the same effect on the elderly patients.

Many elderly in nursing have signed a DNR or No Heroic interventions form . They would have signed long before Covid 19 reared its ugly head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Scotty #

FVP3 wrote: »
    This is a genuine criticism. Much of what Ireland has done has been, if tardy, ok in general. The nursing homes are a mess though.

I'd like to see some criminal penalties, there.
    What crime was committed?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Is the government`s official stance that the majority of people will not be infected by the virus? If it is this policy needs to change ASAP

I don't think so, but I haven't seen any projection from them on that figure. Is 50 to 60% or more the commonly used estimate of attack rate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

Nurse from my old man's nursing home rang on Thurs to say he tested positive. Another woman rang from the home yest and said he is comfortable. Spoke to him myself and he said he is fine but he sounds like he has a cold. I guess as long as he is still in the home and not needing ICU, my fingers will be crossed that he gets through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Anyone else convinced this virus is no worse than the flu?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

Oh I must have got confused there when you said:

You are either confused or don’t understand what I am saying. That post of mine you quoted was directly related to school exams Alone. You said

You dragged in “all future human activities” as a straw man defence of your stance on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

speckle wrote: »
    'Irrelevant to the original posts.' bekker
    surely the Randox scientists who are making these covid tests would have known the folly of letting the chetleham races go ahead. could they have pulled their sponsorship? talked to the organisers/uk gov. or evenat a last resort ring fenced their money for more sanitation purposes?
    why were they sponsoring it.DO they have a vetinary arm?
    anyhow apologies if irelevant.
    No, not irrelevant, just so in context of original post.

Randox do not do testing in the sense you mean, they developed automated testing devices based on exposing chips they provide.

They mainly sell complete packages as I understand, with ongoing chip supplies. They also do a service (commercial scale AKAIR) of testing chips they've supplied for concerns who have not purchased their automated testing installations.

As far a Cheltenham sponsorship, I would assume that that was set up in '19 or even before. As UK Government, in whose jurisdiction they are,
    allowed it to go ahead they would see no reason to cancel. Their scientists would be virologists not epidemiologists.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The UK on seems to report the numbers who die in hospital, they then update a few days later with real figures.

No, they don't - the published figure today is 4,313 deaths in hospital and that is directly from the UK Department of Health and Social Care, not a single care home death without being taken to hospital has been counted in those figures from the start of an outbreak.

The Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) have never published a figure that includes deaths outside of hospital. There has been talk about they would do this when they got challenged by the media, but they have still not done so and will have to be grabbed kicking and screaming to do this as it would make the government look very bad.

As of 20th March it was reported that the DHSC were underreporting deaths by as much as a quarter. This was found out as there was a significant difference between deaths reported by the Government and the number of issued death certificates for coronavirus. Hopefully the Office of National Statistics (ONS) will give a more up to date figure soon.

It's worth stating that despite the ONS calling out the under-reporting of deaths by the DHSC, the DHSC have still not included all of those missing deaths in the official death figures issued by them. I assume that this is a political decision that has been made since it would make the numbers look far worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

spookwoman wrote: »
    called massaging the numbers.

The mind boggles trying to fathom what this is meant to achieve. It won't fool the virus, that's for sure.

We are talking about coronavirus deaths here... I repeat :-

Why all the obfuscation?
    That is a barrier to scientific enquiry.
    Politics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

voluntary wrote: »
    Would they still get paid for a day off if calling in with like 37C?

I don't know. 37C is low. I thought we are looking out for 37.8 as a temperature to self isolate at. The HSE and our own authorities haven't recommended the 37.8 temperature mark. They just say if you have cough, fever, shortness of breath to self isolate. Our authorities haven't pinpointed what fever to look out for. The English authorities have recommended to self isolate at 37.8 temperature.

I'm not a nursing home staff member but I'm checking my temperature every morning and so far, no temperature. I'm also using an oxyimeter every morning to check the blood oxygen. I'm also now checking my blood pressure every morning and night with a home monitor and starting a diary with all that.

If I see a rise in temperature, and blood pressure during a morning reading I think I would be cautious enough and self isolate at that stage.

I thought that the UK changed counting methodology recently to now include non hospital based deaths also, no?

(boards servers are really struggling)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

No.

FVP3 wrote: »
    The difference is slight - 24 vs 23 in deaths per million and the US is clearly on a higher and more exponential trend. - it should pass Ireland today.

In fact Ireland is just one place above the US on both deaths per million and cases per million ( which is hardly reliable given testing differences anyway).

it's interesting to see how some Irish people are more upset with criticism of Trump or America rather than their own people. A weird case of transferred nationalism.

Not really... he is after all supposed to be the leader of the 'free world'.

The lies and bull*hit he pollutes the world with daily, is repeated ad nauseam on this board. I have lost count of the number of times 'The warm weather in April will cause it to vanish' has been mentioned.

Any US citizen who voted for him or the Republican party should hang their heads in shame. The world did not deserve a dangerous ignorant manchild like him to lead the free world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I don't think so, but I haven't seen any projection from them on that figure. Is 50 to 60% or more the commonly used estimate of attack rate?

50%? That's one in two of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

igCorcaigh wrote: »

UK government is considering reverting to herd immunity. This is the worst possible situation for us: our economy still in lockdown (with theirs recovering) and multiple flights still coming in from the UK every hour as their herd immunity policy (i.e., spread the virus quickly) runs its course

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

owlbethere wrote: »
    Nursing home staff to have their temperatures checked

1) not every one has a temperature as Claire Byrne shows
    2) if a staff member has other issues like maybe period pain, they may take an ibuprofen and that would alter a temperature reading.

Not a very great policy to rely on.

I agree, I’m somebody who has never had a high temperature. When I was in hospital and got my appendix out I didn’t have a temperature once same when I’ve had kidney infections and tonsillitis.
    On a normal day my temperature is slightly below the norm.

I get a rapid heart beat when I’m sick and that’s it.

I’d assume I’m not the only one like this.

Everything will be fine when this is over. People will be working overtime everywhere to catch up with what was missed. I'm sure some new businesses will come out of this as well, things we were short of when the pandemic hit.

I hope China suffers big over this. I'm not a conspiracy theorist at all but I've just got this feeling in my gut that this thing wasn't accidental. That 1996 book written by two members of the Chinese army is too close to what's going on right now, it's called Unrestricted Warfare.

Sure. Not a conspiracy theorist at all but the Chinese started a biological war against their own people in the knowledge that they could handle it and that the West, particularly the US, couldn't.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist at all but if this is a biowarfare the US is the one likely to have started it. However it was probably accidental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

There was a guy a couple of threads back that came out with the same statement, he was aggressive and adamant that he was correct.

He hasn’t posted in a while now after making such a tit of himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Jesus christ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    There was a guy a couple of threads back that came out with the same statement, he was aggressive and adamant that he was correct.

He hasn’t posted in a while now after making such a tit of himself.

he's probably busy finishing his PhD

Dundalk, Co. Louth

Not really... he is after all supposed to be the leader of the 'free world'.

Nobody uses that phrase except ironically, surely?
    The lies and bull*hit he pollutes the world with daily, is repeated ad nauseam on this board. I have lost count of the number of times 'The warm weather in April will cause it to vanish' has been mentioned.

Any US citizen who voted for him or the Republican party should hang their heads in shame. The world did not deserve a dangerous ignorant manchild like him to lead the free world.

Well I don't disagree there but the poster I was criticising was defending Trump, if I read it correctly.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement