Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Many elderly in nursing have signed a DNR or No Heroic interventions form . They would have signed long before Covid 19 reared its ugly head

Fair enough... following the patient's wishes is to be admired and is always correct.

However the lack of elderly in our ICUs suggests to me that even those who did not sign a DNR are being triaged already.

Maybe you know something different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

he's probably busy finishing his PhD

Maybe he's in an ICU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Wombatman wrote: »
    We have higher deaths per million and higher cases per million. Why single out the US?

If one person in Ireland spreads the virus to four others and one person in the US spreads it to 240 others which country is doing a better job of containing an outbreak?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

storker wrote: »
    Maybe he's in an ICU.

more probably he's in the RCSI

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Covid19

Just back from trying to get supplies in Tesco, Swinford. I could not get in as the que was at least 35 strong outside the doors. In the town, there were dozens of groups of folks in 3's and 4's, median age of 60, merrily chatting away to each other along the street. The town seemed as busy as a normal Saturday. Then, on the way back home on the N17, a Garda in an unmarked car pulled me over and asked where I was off to. Very conflicting experience.

Covid19 wrote: »
    Just back from trying to get supplies in Tesco, Swinford. I could not get in as the que was at least 35 strong outside the doors. In the town, there were dozens of groups of folks in 3's and 4's, median age of 60, merrily chatting away to each other along the street. The town seemed as busy as a normal Saturday. Then, on the way back home on the N17, a Garda in an unmarked car pulled me over and asked where I was off to. Very conflicting experience.

maybe they were families in 3s and 4s?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

If one person in Ireland spreads the virus to four others and one person in the US spreads it to 240 others which country is doing a better job of containing an outbreak?

You are talking about ifs and hypotheticals. I'm talking about stats and facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    In Germany if you die of cardiac arrest after coming off a ventilator they are stating you died of a heart attack etc. If you drown while on a ventilator you are dying of pneumonia etc etc. They are not including cause of death as Covid 19. My understanding being that in the future the German health system will look to be classifying exactly what strain of Covid the victims had, they will revise their stats down the line once they are satisfied. Germans are very thorough, they don't spoof. Watch for updates on their statistics.

German's don'T spoof? I must have imagined that whole Volkswagen emissions scandal a few years back.

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    German's don'T spoof? I must have imagined that whole Volkswagen emissions scandal a few years back.

and those gas chambers in 1945

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭endainoz

FVP3 wrote: »
    Sure. Not a conspiracy theorist at all but the Chinese started a biological war against their own people in the knowledge that they could handle it and that the West, particularly the US, couldn't.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist at all but if this is a biowarfare the US is the one likely to have started it. However it was probably accidental.

So sure your not, you had to mention it twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Many elderly in nursing have signed a DNR or No Heroic interventions form . They would have signed long before Covid 19 reared its ugly head

this is true, this was one of the first things that was discussed when my parents entered nursing homes years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rusty the athlete

Sean 18 wrote: »
    I wonder what will happen when the schools open in September must they all repeat a year even in primary school they will have to make their communion next year I can't see them going ahead this year

I think there are far more important things to consider than communions right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Cody montana

USA getting close to 300 thousand cases.

maybe they were families in 3s and 4s?

Sadly, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Then, on the way back home on the N17, a Garda in an unmarked car pulled me over and asked where I was off to. Very conflicting experience.

You should have told them to mind their own f*cking business and police the towns and not people on a national road ffs. Fools. It's not a crime to drive your car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Achasanai wrote: »
    I think the benefit is that most older people - who would be at most risk now - have it, although if as you say it was only started in the 1950s that might not apply. I read something about 'learned immunity', but not sure if that applies to this vaccine.
    depends what age the got it in the 50s. if they gave it to everyone 10 and under in 1950. most people under 80 would have had it. if they gave it to newborns only those under 70.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭endainoz

I hope you told the Guard that it’s none of his business. You aren’t committing any crime

Only a person actively looking for conflict would say that. No fan of the guards myself but it's pretty simple just to say they were at the shop instead of agression.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

OscarMIlde wrote: »

Soon every country will be spoofing. They are under enormous economic pressure to do so. Tons of people are dying already at home without being diagnosed as with coronavirus. That's just in Italy.

About 50% of the population will like get it and 2%-5% will die.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Interesting choice of username! :eek:

I don't go near supermarkets on a Saturday or even the weekend. Better to go on weekday mornings or at least off-peak if you can. Why would you be queuing outside unless Saturday is the only time you can go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

My mother, 70 years old with various underlying conditions - asthma, irregular heart rhythm, under active thyroid and prone to really bad chest infections in the past - has had a bout of something for almost 2 weeks now...ironically started day after Boris announced lockdown here. Started off with vomiting and stomach pain, then an irregular chesty cough and has been up and down since but mainly improving. Today she says she feels back to normal again apart from the cough which has been abating. At the start I hoped to god it wasn't corona but now she seems over it I'm thinking that's some bloody coincidence isn't it? Especially as we are in south east of England. I thought if mum got this then at the very least she would be in hospital but is it possible that even many over 70s with health conditions may just be able to get over this at home? One thing I'd say is all her conditions are very well controlled whereas some people don't have this whether through bad luck or choice. I'm probably clutching at straws but the timing is suspect right?

• Advertisement

I don't go near supermarkets on a Saturday or even the weekend. Better to go on weekday mornings or at least off-peak if you can. Why would you be queuing outside unless Saturday is the only time you can go.

Why thank you. 😎

shocksy wrote: »
    You should have told them to mind their own f*cking business and police the towns and not people on a national road ffs. Fools. It's not a crime to drive your car.

The Guards are on O'Connell St! Plus a national road is the right place to intercept people who might be chancing heading down the road to a mate's or to family, etc, when they don't have to. Stay at or near home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Am I right in saying if we were counting deaths the same way as the UK (i.e. only hospital deaths counted) we would only have 15?

Does that show that the real numbers in the UK must be nearly 10 times higher?

there are queues every day!

Dundalk, Co. Louth

Depends where you are I guess, I don't see them where I am outside those peak times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

No there isn't.

keynes wrote: »
    UK government is considering reverting to herd immunity. This is the worst possible situation for us: our economy still in lockdown (with theirs recovering) and multiple flights still coming in from the UK every hour as their herd immunity policy (i.e., spread the virus quickly) runs its course

Subdued+bouncy+snake_1c0ddd_7621350.jpg

The UK Cabinet at work !

Depends where you are I guess, I don't see them where I am outside those peak times.

I'm in co Dublin , Irish epicentre

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

shocksy wrote: »

That would be escalation and unlikely to help anything. I'd say consider asking his name, make a note of his reg and making a complaint.

It's for your self-preservation as much as anything. He could ask you to step out of the car, suddenly you're exposed to everything all the jokers and scumbags he's been around the past week have. He might even arrest you to "teach you a lesson" or some such. Never underestimate how crazy and stupid people can be. You don't try to argue with a bull, you try to be inconspicuous and get the **** away. In this time self-preservation is key, it's every man for himself.

Speak Now wrote: »
    No there isn't.

Exactly and I really wonder if people have much common sense if they are doing their regular weekly shop on a Saturday still, if they could easily do it another time!

• Advertisement

ifElseThen wrote: »
    Nurse from my old man's nursing home rang on Thurs to say he tested positive. Another woman rang from the home yest and said he is comfortable. Spoke to him myself and he said he is fine but he sounds like he has a cold. I guess as long as he is still in the home and not needing ICU, my fingers will be crossed that he gets through it.

I’m not saying I agree with this system (as someone with a very elderly grandparent who is luckily cared for at home) but I’ve heard from people working in certain elderly care environments that they have been informed their patients will not be getting treatment for Covid-19. Now I assume by that they mean extensive hospital/icu treatment rather than treatment in situ.

That would be escalation and unlikely to help anything. I'd say consider asking his name, make a note of his reg and making a complaint.

It's for your self-preservation as much as anything. He could ask you to step out of the car, suddenly you're exposed to everything all the jokers and scumbags he's been around the past week have. He might even arrest you to "teach you a lesson" or some such. Never underestimate how crazy and stupid people can be. You don't try to argue with a bull, you try to be inconspicuous and get the **** away. In this time self-preservation is key, it's every man for himself.

imagine if Padraig Pearse and his brethren had of had this mentality in 1916

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I hope you told the Guard that it’s none of his business. You aren’t committing any crime

Actually it is very much the Gardai business now. Anyone who refuses to account for their movements should be regarded as an enemy of the state and the Irish people. The softly softly approach needs to come to an end.

I'm in co Dublin , Irish epicentre

Me too, there can't be queues at all times anywhere in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Am I right in saying if we were counting deaths the same way as the UK (i.e. only hospital deaths counted) we would only have 15?

Does that show that the real numbers in the UK must be nearly 10 times higher?
    It's not just the NHS and HSE that are not capturing all deaths attributable* to COVID-19, it's true of virtually every country and is an insoluble problem. Even in retrospect it will be impossible to establish with any great degree of accuracy, you can't analyse that doesn't exist the first place*.

Organisations are only concerned in generating statistics for their own purposes, so HSE, NHS etc. have no interest in deaths outside their silos. Depts of Health may look at other deaths, but for different purposes and utilising different reporting systems. National statistical services do collate all deaths from death certificates* but often are only concerned with deriving annual figure.

Added to that there has always been a genuine difference of medical opinion on attribution* of cause of death where there are underlying conditions, different countries treat differently.

All in all one can only hope compare national figures over time with any degree of certainty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Hello Mr Coronavirus,

It's a ridiculous situation going on outside shops. I think what's needed now is shops to implement a booking policy. Where you phone up a book a slot to go into the shop.

Queuing up outside really doesn't help. What if someone in the queue is a carrier of the virus and he coughs or sneezes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

A good way of avoiding the queues currently is going outside "licensing" hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Speak Now wrote: »
    A good way of avoiding the queues currently is going outside "licensing" hours.

24 hour grocery shopping would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

keynes wrote: »
    UK government is considering reverting to herd immunity. This is the worst possible situation for us: our economy still in lockdown (with theirs recovering) and multiple flights still coming in from the UK every hour as their herd immunity policy (i.e., spread the virus quickly) runs its course

Be interesting how that might play out. Didn’t the French threaten to close borders completely if England didn’t tighten up their restrictions?

A country opening up (like Sweden) that has mass infections even for a short while will end up isolated from everybody. Maybe just for a short period of time but if England went full herd immunity by just ploughing through it I could see all flights and travel out very restricted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭badabing106

It's frightening to think that all the latest polls suggest that the British public back the Government more than ever since the corona virus and that support is increasing!

[URL] https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/government-approval[/url]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

bekker wrote: »
    It's not just the NHS and HSE that are not capturing all deaths attributable* to COVID-19, it's true of virtually every country and is an insoluble problem. Even in retrospect it will be impossible to establish with any great degree of accuracy, you can't analyse that doesn't exist the first place*.

Organisations are only concerned in generating statistics for their own purposes, so HSE, NHS etc. have no interest in deaths outside their silos. Depts of Health may look at other deaths, but for different purposes and utilising different reporting systems. National statistical services do collate all deaths from death certificates* but often are only concerned with deriving annual figure.

Added to that there has always been a genuine difference of medical opinion on attribution* of cause of death where there are underlying conditions, different countries treat differently.

All in all one can only hope compare national figures over time with any degree of certainty.

Yes but we have only had (I think) 15 deaths in Hospital.
    We are counting the vast majority of our deaths outside of Hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

fr336 wrote: »
    but is it possible that even many over 70s with health conditions may just be able to get over this at home?

Yes of course it is. While older people and those with underlying conditions have a higher death rate, overall most will survive and most will not require hospitalisation even.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Hippykitten

When is the Irish update?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

It's frightening to think that all the latest polls suggest that the British public back the Government more than ever since the corona virus and that support is increasing!

[URL] https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/government-approval[/url]

The damage the likes of trump & Boris do and yet people lap it up.

When is the Irish update?

132 deaths 4500 cases 2/1

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

I know I asked before, but how are the oxygen supplies? I hear they were running out in other countries. No point ordering machines if there's not enough oxygen.

Or is that a silly question?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

TOMs WIFE wrote: »
    Staff in supermarkets more aware of distancing themselves and practicing hand washing than their customers?
    most are very good but not all like the one in lidli I had to take to task who sneezed/coughed in their gloved hand at the till. I was nice but assertive about it. Hope they understand now.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Bushmaster64

If you looked out your window and your favourite pornstar was in the garden beckoning you out, but told you she had a cough and a bit of a fever.

Would you smash or pass?

Actually it is very much the Gardai business now. Anyone who refuses to account for their movements should be regarded as an enemy of the state and the Irish people. The softly softly approach needs to come to an end.

The Russians are giving up to 7 years in jail for those who break quarantine.

That lunatic Rodrigo Duterte in the Philippines wants to shoot lockdown violators.

I prefer our own Garda response... thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Is there a briefing today or just an announcement on the six one?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement