Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

We are talking about coronavirus deaths here... I repeat :-
    I want to compare Irish deaths average with the number of deaths in recent days. I want to see if there's an increase and what the difference in increase is minus the reported covid-19 deaths. I'm trying to see if we are reporting things correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Cazale wrote: »
    My friends 35 year old brother is in a coma and on a ventilator the last week. Not looking too good for him. He worked in an office with 25 people and another worker is in the same icu. Both of them have asthma. Before he got really sick he was saying they was a girl in there with all the symptoms who refused to go home and their manager didn't care. Two people critical or worse because of that carelessness. Really is important that we keep this going because you don't know who your actions might affect.

I'm so sorry to read this. I hope he pulls through. I hope his colleagues get better too. X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭marilynrr

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me what are "clusters"

It's where in a particular area or place like a nursing home the virus has spread among a group.

Also more than likely when they do the contact tracing they can trace it back to an initial case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,608 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Groups of 3 or more cases in the same setting - e.g. house, nursing home, place of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Looking at the deaths they look stable. (Obviously not good) and we're at half the deaths per million of the uk.

I think that’s the only number (Deaths) that’s accurate and relevant as to how we are coping unfortunately. The testing has rendered the “daily cases” figure irrelevant so until we see the death rate declining we don’t know what’s happening The “curve”

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,842 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

3 or more diagnosed in a small area (eg house, nursing home, Clayton Hotel (OK let's not go there:pac:)) within a 72 hour period is what I read. Not sure how big the area can be - if for example 3 in a village would count, but the idea is that one person may have infected others at the location rather than people independently contracting it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Beasty wrote: »
    3 or more diagnosed in a small area (eg house, nursing home, Clayton Hotel (OK let's not go there:pac:)) within a 72 hour period is what I read. Not sure how big the area can be - if for example 3 in a village would count, but the idea is that one person may have infected others at the location rather than people independently contracting it

If they trace contact between 3 cases it's also a cluster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Well played sir, well played!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

spookwoman wrote: »
    I would say to the boss I will sue/report you if you dont let me wear a mask and then say to the boss I will sue you if you dimiss me later.
    Then I would explain to the patients why I wear a mask in approiate terms depending on the client.
    Which should have already been done by the manager anyhow.
    Hope that makes sense.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I think that’s the only number (Deaths) that’s accurate and relevant as to how we are coping unfortunately. The testing has rendered the “daily cases” figure irrelevant so until we see the death rate declining we don’t know what’s happening The “curve”

Over on the Worldometer site there's a handy chart. I think the number of cases with the number of tests combined with the number of tests per 1m is as important as deaths. Makes interesting reading.

I had one eye on the news for the deaf. It said, in march people infected with Covid-19, went on to infect on average 4.5 people. Now, the average is 2.5 people. The number needs to come down to 1.

This is good news to me and tells me the social distancing is working.

They need to bring the number down to 1. How will this work? Will they have to tighten the restrictions some more?

How will it work for families? Surely, if one member of a household picks up the virus, it will then get into the household and spread around the household?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Can I clarify, when they say that there are 331 newly confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland today, bringing the total number to 4,604 in the Republic of Ireland, are the 4,604 still current, or do they include previous cases that might now be recovered? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

That employer should be charged for workplace death.

Sensationalism at its best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Stheno wrote: »
    Rubella was given in school when you were 12/13

BCG was a baby/ toddler vaccine iirc

I have the mark's but dont remember getting it

Other way round. BCG was one I got in primary school. Rubella as a baby - the MMR vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rusty the athlete

fr336 wrote: »
    Even trump called the uk herd immunity idea madness. Trump!

Oh come on. The trump-20 virus mutates many times a day. Guarantee that within two minutes he would say its a great idea, withing four minutes he never said it at all and within 6 minutes it would be all China's fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭spookwoman

speckle wrote: »
    I would say to the boss I will sue/report you if you dont let me wear a mask and then say to the boss I will sue you if you dimiss me later.
    Then I would explain to the patients why I wear a mask in approiate terms depending on the client.
    Which should have already been done by the manager anyhow.
    Hope that makes sense.

And if reported to official channels they would probably take their time to investigate. Probably only way to sort out would be to sneaky video

I was thinking about this. .

There are a lot of restrictions that the population for the most part are adhering too.

Unfortunately the virus got into nursing homes where the residents would be more susceptible to the virus.

I think we might need to get a breakdown of the figures, like deaths from nursing homes and deaths from hospitals.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My friends 35 year old brother is in a coma and on a ventilator the last week. Not looking too good for him. He worked in an office with 25 people and another worker is in the same icu. Both of them have asthma. Before he got really sick he was saying they was a girl in there with all the symptoms who refused to go home and their manager didn't care. Two people critical or worse because of that carelessness. Really is important that we keep this going because you don't know who your actions might affect.

I hope they both come through this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

So Italy has seemed to flatten the curve ... but not dropping yet, even at 4.5k cases a day every day you'd imagine this would be too much .... what next ??

Like how f*ckin long do they need total lockdown for cases to start dropping ???

I thought the idea was after the curve flattened it dropped , not just stay on and on and on and on and on and on and ****ING ON!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

owlbethere wrote: »
    I had one eye on the news for the deaf. It said, in march people infected with Covid-19, went on to infect on average 4.5 people. Now, the average is 2.5 people. The number needs to come down to 1.

They need to bring the number down to 1. How will this work? Will they have to tighten the restrictions some more?

How will it work for families? Surely, if one member of a household picks up the virus, it will then get into the household and spread around the household?

It's kind of what Tony was saying in his briefing: while the rise in cases is 'manageable' we need to get it down even further or there will be that surge that will hit the hospitals hard. We're still tracking Italy nearly exactly, so if we're two weeks behind them (perhaps not even if we have a backlog in results) we might see further restrictions needing to be enforced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Well, they could just keep testing fewer and fewer people...

China should be fined TRILLIONS .... TRILLIONS .... and that money used to compensate the economies they have ****ing DESTROYED...

The countries of Spain and Italy WILL NOT EXIST in 6 months time ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I was thinking about this. .

There are a lot of restrictions that the population for the most part are adhering too.

Unfortunately the virus got into nursing homes where the residents would be more susceptible to the virus.

I think we might need to get a breakdown of the figures, like deaths from nursing homes and deaths from hospitals.

Those that made it to icu can spend a few weeks in there and it can take that long for them to succumb to the disease.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Other way round. BCG was one I got in primary school. Rubella as a baby - the MMR vaccine.

I was a 70s baby we didn't have MMR then :D

Achasanai wrote: »
    It's kind of what Tony was saying in his briefing: while the rise in cases is 'manageable' we need to get it down even further or there will be that surge that will hit the hospitals hard. We're still tracking Italy nearly exactly, so if we're two weeks behind them (perhaps not even if we have a backlog in results) we might see further restrictions needing to be enforced.

I wasn't watching the briefing at all, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Do tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

spookwoman wrote: »
    And if reported to official channels they would probably take their time to investigate. Probably only way to sort out would be to sneaky video

maybe chech out the new legislation . i know when checking the old infectious disease legislation hefty fines and jails terms in it. might cover this if still in the new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

China should be fined TRILLIONS .... TRILLIONS .... and that money used to compensate the economies they have ****ing DESTROYED...

The countries of Spain and Italy WILL NOT EXIST in 6 months time ....[/b

Hopefully it won't come to that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Can I clarify, when they say that there are 331 newly confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland today, bringing the total number to 4,604 in the Republic of Ireland, are the 4,604 still current, or do they include previous cases that might now be recovered? Thanks.

I take it to be total number of confirmed cases including fatalities, those in ICU or in hospital and recovered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Hopefully it won't come to that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,802 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope they pull through

Bar a few notable countries, I don't see any countries as reporting significant decreases in cases being reported. We're (all) in the very early stages still!

China started dropping off pretty quickly after lockdown, not just curve flattening...

I hope they pull through

I take it to be total number of confirmed cases including fatalities, those in ICU or in hospital andrecovered.

It is. It's the total cases since the beginning

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Lolle06

BCG was part of the childhood immunization program. All Infants got the shot after birth. My eldest two (12 & 8) still got it. The youngest (4) was meant to get it too, but the vaccine couldn’t be sourced in Ireland, so youngest was skipped completely.
    I am not sure, if babies still get it in Ireland or if they still experience problems with vaccine resources, though.

I hope they pull through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The TV channels now need to show us how to use face masks properly . More and more are wearing them and more and more making them
    Instead of telling us they COULD do more harm than good SHOW us how to use them .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

China should be held to account for what they have done but the notion that Spain and Italy will no longer exist in 6 months is simply untrue. Their economies and societies will be hugely damaged but they will rebuild and recover like most if not every country that has been effected by this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

I had sex with a stranger last night , am I a bad person?

only if sitting on your hand until it's numb counts as a stranger ;)

If the delay in testing was due to a global shortage of reagent (whatever that is) how come there's no shortage in the German labs tests are now being sent to? Or would it not be easier to procure reagent from those labs? Excuses have been made here in relation to testing delays. I still can't fathom how new cases are being reported as "new" rather than "results confirmed from test date of" and then accumulate for each test date over time as results are received.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

humberklog wrote: »
    Over on the Worldometer site there's a handy chart. I think the number of cases with the number of tests combined with the number of tests per 1m is as important as deaths. Makes interesting reading.

I don’t think we can read anything into cases in this country because let’s be honest the testing in Ireland is a complete mess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

China started dropping off pretty quickly after lockdown, not just curve flattening...

Serious doubt over whether China`s figures are accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

That's terrible to hear/ That is insane. I was concerned about office space initially too. That attitude where people don't stay at home is so wilfully ignorant / negligent.
    I had a call from a utility provider and the person was clearly in a call centre.
    Why are they not working from home. It is not essential work and can be done remotely with minor IT investment. Government really needs to stop vast roomfuls of people spewing hot air day in day out in pursuit of sales. A large number probably also share accommodation given the younger profile of such jobs.

Seems that actions like these will quite easily make this pandemic rumble on no matter what the rest of the country does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭hibble

Don't tell me that on top of the virus there is a comet on the way as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Jesus that's awful, really hope they will be OK. My OH is asthmatic and this is my ongoing worry for him too. Cannot believe someone was allowed in showing the symptoms - I hate office "heroes" at the best of times who come in and infect everyone, but you would think during a pandemic that there would be a bit more common sense prevailing. Fingers crossed for both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭gamerguy1

Ireland with 4500 cases now and growing. Could we get to 60% of the population without complete lockdown. Death rate and icu rate is high so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,199 ✭✭✭✭josip

Stheno wrote: »
    Increase of 10 in ICU

Where can you see the number currently in ICU?
    I can only see 158 admitted to ICU from that tweet and I thought that the number of admissions for 24 hours previously was 156.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

The nursing homes are a disaster. A lot of grieving family members are going to be furious and rightly so. Private healthcare is simply not up to scratch. How can it be when it's purpose is to make a profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Cumulative figure, has to be.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement