Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

China should be fined TRILLIONS .... TRILLIONS .... and that money used to compensate the economies they have ****ing DESTROYED...

The countries of Spain and Italy WILL NOT EXIST in 6 months time ....

There should be sanctions on them for sure for their disgusting bio hazardous markets and disgusting eating habits and for all the animal cruelty of a large scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Can I ask a question.

I am currently in isolation with Covid symptoms so apologises if this has been asked multiply times before but I have barely the energy to lift my phone let alone read through endless threads on vivid.

My question is this - if only a small percentage been tested are getting a positive result (I think it's 26% approx but that's not too important) - what is wrong with the other 75 % who are negative.

Is there something else going around or what, theese people obviously had severe enough symptoms to contact their gp and warrent a visit to a test centre or admittance to hospital so whats the deal there.

Accounting for some hypercondra who demanded testing and some front line workers in health care and the gardai who may have been tested as a precaution what's the deal with the rest of them.

I know two people who were rushed to hospital and kept in for 5-6 days and then released after a negative result.

I'm not suggesting there's some sort of conspiracy but as I've laid in bed these last 5 days and watched sky news, cnn and bbc news I haven't seen this discussed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

China should be fined TRILLIONS .... TRILLIONS .... and that money used to compensate the economies they have ****ing DESTROYED...

Global warming gonna flood them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me what are "clusters"

The she are defining a cluster as 3 infected from the same location (not sure exactly what a location is)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Can I ask a question.

I am currently in isolation with Covid symptoms so apologises if this has been asked multiply times before but I have barely the energy to lift my phone let alone read through endless threads on vivid.

My question is this - if only a small percentage been tested are getting a positive result (I think it's 26% approx but that's not too important) - what is wrong with the other 75 % who are negative.

Is there something else going around or what, theese people obviously had severe enough symptoms to contact their gp and warrent a visit to a test centre or admittance to hospital so whats the deal there.

Accounting for some hypercondra who demanded testing and some front line workers in health care and the gardai who may have been tested as a precaution what's the deal with the rest of them.

I know two people who were rushed to hospital and kept in for 5-6 days and then released after a negative result.

I'm not suggesting there's some sort of conspiracy but as I've laid in bed these last 5 days and watched sky news, cnn and bbc news I haven't seen this discussed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

owlbethere wrote: »
    I had one eye on the news for the deaf. It said, in march people infected with Covid-19, went on to infect on average 4.5 people. Now, the average is 2.5 people. The number needs to come down to 1.

This is good news to me and tells me the social distancing is working.

They need to bring the number down to 1. How will this work? Will they have to tighten the restrictions some more?

How will it work for families? Surely, if one member of a household picks up the virus, it will then get into the household and spread around the household?

It seems that most people are obeying the restrictions. Where we live, we would normally have a lot of day trippers the weekend and bank holidays especially. The weekend just before they announced the current restrictions was absolute bedlam, it was like the entire city came to the country.

This weekend, that number is way down. There are a few non locals around, so you just know they are more than 2km from home, but from what I have seen here, it looks like around 70% compliance (for those who would normally be here).

Since supermarkets are supposed to be real "hot spots" for infection, wouldn't it be great if there was a way to increase the number of delivery slots? This might persuade people to stay at home more. I could see that having a really beneficial impact.

In terms of restrictions, it will be interesting to see how far they can "push it".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Serious doubt over whether China`s figures are accurate.

There is no doubt about it, their figures are wrong and not accurate anyone that believes the accuracy of their figures needs their head examined.

storker wrote: »
    If your appendage is over 6 ft long you're grand.

Hobgoblin or Nobgoblin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,062 ✭✭✭circadian

Cazale wrote: »
    My friends 35 year old brother is in a coma and on a ventilator the last week. Not looking too good for him. He worked in an office with 25 people and another worker is in the same icu. Both of them have asthma. Before he got really sick he was saying they was a girl in there with all the symptoms who refused to go home and their manager didn't care. Two people critical or worse because of that carelessness. Really is important that we keep this going because you don't know who your actions might affect.

A schoolfriend of mine is also in the same state. 34 or 35 and in ICU in a coma. Generally fit person with very mild asthma. I've been getting very frustrated with people's lack of awareness or thought around this but thankfully the effects of a peer in this position is it has sharpened the minds of my friends who were in the "just a flu" camp.

Hoping they pull through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Anyone else getting constant bombardment of coronavirus stuff whether jokes, religious or conspiracy theory crap on their Facebook messenger, WhatsApp or other media sources?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They will still exist but will be greatly changed.

The lack of response and action from the ECB has been disturbing and if it goes on there could be a savage price to pay for all of us.

They'll surely be under immense pressure from across the world to shi7 or get off the pot, to be blunt. They won't be able to rely on others doing the lifting this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 irishlad123456

gamerguy1 wrote: »
    Ireland with 4500 cases now and growing. Could we get to 60% of the population without complete lockdown. Death rate and icu rate is high so far

Hardly now, stop talking crap scaremongering people Jesus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Seems that actions like these will quite easily make this pandemic rumble on no matter what the rest of the country does.

And its the same eejits "concerned" about the economy claiming the restrictions are OTT that are causing this to spread so much. Their own stupidity and selfishness harms others but they couldn't give a fùck.

They are the worst type of scum in the country happily spreading this.

Can I ask a question.

Normal colds, flu and respiratory infections

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

hibble wrote: »
    Don't tell me that on top of the virus there is a comet on the way as well...

Actually there is an asteroid due to make a close approach to Earth in a few weeks time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I think the virus was released on purpose. The lying CCP has said it came from a wet market in Wuhan (easy to believe). There's a bio lab a couple of meters from the market the virus was meant to have come from.

They should be fcuked over and held accountable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,298 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

YFlyer wrote: »
    Anyone else getting constant bombardment of coronavirus stuff whether jokes, religious or conspiracy theory crap on their Facebook messenger, WhatsApp or other media sources?

No because I don't interact with idiots if I can help it. Just stay away from social media if it's causing you issues.

No because I don't interact with idiots if I can help it. Just stay away from social media if it's causing you issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

If the delay in testing was due to a global shortage of reagent (whatever that is) how come there's no shortage in the German labs tests are now being sent to? Or would it not be easier to procure reagent from those labs? Excuses have been made here in relation to testing delays. I still can't fathom how new cases are being reported as "new" rather than "results confirmed from test date of" and then accumulate for each test date over time as results are received.

We do not manufacture the necessary reagents here in Ireland.
    Countries that make them are holding onto the stock they have and making deals to sell some of it to countries that need it.

Germany has invested for more into their diagnostic laboratory services than Ireland do.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭gamerguy1

Hardly now, stop talking crap scaremongering people Jesus

Im definitely not scaremongering,im just extremely worried about it. I hope we get nowhere near high numbers. Keeping socially distant and being positive that we can flatten the curve.

I don't use Facebook and largely moved away from WhatsApp after seeing the traffic get sent through the Facebook CDN, I've now removed myself from most groups as there are many opinions out there and it's just a bombardment of half assed articles and "journals" masquerading as peer reviewed medical articles.

Can I ask a question.

I think a large proportion of it could be attributed to employees taking the precaution of self isolating and needing official confirmation from GP for sick pay. As HSE had changed guidelines to test more GPs then referred these people for testing. Otherwise known as what the CMO then described as the worried well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Can I ask a question.

I don’t know, but my guess is that there are a Lot of variables at play that science hasn’t caught up with. Some things like...

There is no huge information on how accurate the testing is with regards the stages of the virus that can be picked up and when it can’t be.

Over the 2-4 weeks of having the virus is it detectable at every stage?
    Are the supposed mutations of the virus showing up in all tests?
    What level of false positives are there in the tests?

Overall I think it’s important to compare this to something like Ebola, a disease that we now understand fully because science has had time to understand it.

In 12 months I don’t think there will be anything we dont know about this virus. We will have a near instant test for it and a lot of the current variables will be resolved.

But overall don’t worry about it. Look after yourself. Fluids and eat as much as you can when you can. Then stay isolated because it’s possible that once you are better you could still pass on what you have.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I thought China would come off reasonably well from this but the Chinese economy is massively dependent on western consumerism, eg mobile phones. So their economy will suffer too. But well deserved. Hopefully they cop on re wet markets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,269 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I presume that there aren't any businesses with refrigerated vans lying around that Tesco and the likes could use to up delivery capacity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Local supermarket only letting 10 people in at a time. Was thinking if there was maybe a system where the customers could give the staff a list +they do they shopping insted then collect at the door or another exit. They wouldnt have to be running all around the aisles either if they organise the storerooms abit.

Can I ask a question.

Speedy recovery.

It was 6% positive up to a week ago.

Mainly due to people looking for a test after a slight sniffle. You could still get some false negatives and administration mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Can I ask a question.

The swab test can only give a Positive result, there is no 'Negative' just 'Not Positive'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Im definitely not scaremongering,im just extremely worried about it. I hope we get nowhere near high numbers. Keeping socially distant and being positive that we can flatten the curve.

You're not really though. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Actually there is an asteroid due to make a close approach to Earth in a few weeks time.
    And did you know according to WhatsApp the Coronavirus was invented so the guberments could keep people inside as the asteroid is likely to hit us ...
    :D :rolleyes:

flazio wrote: »
    I presume that there aren't any businesses with refrigerated vans lying around that Tesco and the likes could use to up delivery capacity?

I think refrigerated vans are hard enough to come by. Was talking to the wife about this a few days back. They could use the refrigerated vans for stuff that has to be kept in them and a separate delivery for all other items. Sure, it means two deliveries but it'll increase capacity. Most people are in all day now anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    No because this is Ireland and the Civil Service mentality is still alive and well.

You don’t think Tony Holohan needs a break I see. What do you do for a living yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

It might sound surprising but you being worried has nothing to do with the Coronavirus.

You just have some frantic and worried thinking right now, which will pass, as it always does. And then you'll feel less worried, or not at all.

bekker wrote: »
    The swab test can only give a Positive result, there is no 'Negative' just 'Not Positive'.

Would that still be classed as a false negative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,678 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The figures always seem suspiciously a bit lower than you might have expected on Saturdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Bushmaster64

Over a thousand dead in France today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

just noticed on worldometers, USA has gone over 300,000 confirmed cases. probably a couple days away from 10,000 deaths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Can I ask a question.

Maybe there are issues with the testing. And this could account for the huge rise in deaths in some areas, such as Bergamo, where thousands of extra deaths have not been diagnosed as covid-19. No idea really but surely a likely scenario would be that some of the "not detected" results are not accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

https://youtu.be/AiwrtgWQeDc

This video is a long one. It's about 45 minutes long. It goes through some breathing exercises to maximize oxygen in the blood or what not. There's a piece about mouth breathing at night time and during the days too. I found it interesting anyways.

• Advertisement

Not interacting with them when they put up such messages.

It's like a cytokine storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭gamerguy1

It might sound surprising but you being worried has nothing to do with the Coronavirus.

You just have some frantic and worried thinking right now, which will pass, as it always does. And then you'll feel less worried, or not at all.

So true. Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

josip wrote: »
    Where can you see the number currently in ICU?
    I can only see 158 admitted to ICU from that tweet and I thought that the number of admissions for 24 hours previously was 156.

The cumulative figure yesterday was 148

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

harr wrote: »
    And did you know according to WhatsApp the Coronavirus was invented so the guberments could keep people inside as the asteroid is likely to hit us ...
    :D :rolleyes:

Something similar to this was posted in the Conspiracy Theories forum on this site. Seems plausible.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

deisedevil wrote: »
    Maybe there are issues with the testing. And this could account for the huge rise in deaths in some areas, such as Bergamo, where thousands of extra deaths have not been diagnosed as covid-19. No idea really but surely a likely scenario would be that some of the "not detected" results are not accurate.

In places like Bergamo the volume of dead meant they couldn't even keep up with them, never mind test or autopsy corpses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

Hm perhaps the worry over the destruction of European economies should go in the 'Things That Trivially Annoy You' thread? Judging by the way its discussed on here.

I think the virus was released on purpose. The lying CCP has said it came from a wet market in Wuhan (easy to believe). There's a bio lab a couple of meters from the market the virus was meant to have come from.

Any evidences for your theory?

You should head out there and sort them out, do ensure to bring your own tinfoil hat though, just so they don't get you with any of their new brainwave viruses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,802 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Can I ask a question.

I've seen mention of another flu also around or bad hayfever allergies

If you can call your GP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Would that still be classed as a false negative?
    If there is insufficient viral shedding at the time of the test the result cannot be 'Positive' hence 'Not Positive', when shedding increases sufficiently a later test from the same individual will be 'Positive'.

I believe that those with Asymptomatic infections will never shed sufficiently to register a 'Positive', the infection can only be detected by blood test >14 days after initial infection.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement