Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Local supermarket only letting 10 people in at a time. Was thinking if there was maybe a system where the customers could give the staff a list +they do they shopping insted then collect at the door or another exit. They wouldnt have to be running all around the aisles either if they organise the storerooms abit.

Set up a phone in and collect at a certain time. Hire a few extra people to work over night to put together items. Lot of places have huge carparks and could put them in some Marquee Tents and wheel it out to the person when they come during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

I'm beginning to wonder is there even such a thing as "flattening the curve" I'm also convinced there are 2 strains of this virus knocking about. A neighbour was moved from a local hospital to beaumount a few weeks back to be prepared for a triple bypass in the mater. She's also diabetic and has a large hernia. She was put in a ward with other patients who subsequently were tested positive for covid-19. Last Thursday she herself tested positive. 9 days later she is still fine with only mild symptons. Now riddle me that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,042 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Over a thousand dead in France today.

To put into perspective, that equates to about 71 people here dead in terms of population difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Looney1

Definite green shoots appearing in Italy and France. The problem I have though is that these shoots are a result of a near complete lockdown. What happens when we start moving again????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

UrbanFret wrote: »
    I'm beginning to wonder is there even such a thing as "flattening the curve" I'm also convinced there are 2 strains of this virus knocking about. A neighbour was moved from a local hospital to beaumount a few weeks back to be prepared for a triple bypass in the mater. She's also diabetic and has a large hernia. She was put in a ward with other patients who subsequently were tested positive for covid-19. Last Thursday she herself tested positive. 9 days later she is still fine with only mild symptons. Now riddle me that.

Nothing surprising or new to be honest in that.

Falls in line with others experiences.

• Advertisement

Looney1 wrote: »
    Definite green shoots appearing in Italy and France. The problem I have though is that these shoots are a result of a near complete lockdown. What happens when we start moving again????

We'll all be wearing masks, washing hands, undergoing regular testing, home test kits everywhere, 5 min tests for passengers flying in and out etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Looney1 wrote: »

How's Italy figures? Haven't looked at them in a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,042 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Danzy wrote: »
    We'll all be wearing masks, washing hands, undergoing regular testing, home test kits everywhere, 5 min tests for passengers flying in and out etc etc.

Most people would have no issues with this if restrictions were relaxed slowly.

How's Italy figures? Haven't looked at them in a while

Flat top mountain and still moving, hopefully to a descent at some stage.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Most people would have no issues with this if restrictions were relaxed slowly.

It would be an inconvenience but we'd all be greatful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Flat top mountain and still moving, hopefully to a descent at some stage.

Plateau!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

UrbanFret wrote: »

Flatten the curve is related to healthcare ability to deal with the virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

flazio wrote: »
    I presume that there aren't any businesses with refrigerated vans lying around that Tesco and the likes could use to up delivery capacity?

I doubt Tesco, or anybody else, is interested in increasing delivery capacity.

It costs about €5 for a home, delivery, probably takes an hour to pick and deliver it so in wages alone it costs them money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,199 ✭✭✭✭josip

Stheno wrote: »
    The cumulative figure yesterday was 148

That was the day before, yesterday was 156 I thought?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0403/1128379-irish-daily-figures/

bekker wrote: »
    If there is insufficient viral shedding at the time of the test the result cannot be 'Positive' hence 'Not Positive', when shedding increases sufficiently a later test from the same individual will be 'Positive'.

I believe that those with Asymptomatic infections will never shed sufficiently to register a 'Positive', the infection can only be detected by blood test >14 days after initial infection.

Thanks.

The test is virus specific?

Another coronavirus such as the common cold wouldn't give a positive reading?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Antares35 wrote: »
    It seems that most people are obeying the restrictions. Where we live, we would normally have a lot of day trippers the weekend and bank holidays especially. The weekend just before they announced the current restrictions was absolute bedlam, it was like the entire city came to the country.

This weekend, that number is way down. There are a few non locals around, so you just know they are more than 2km from home, but from what I have seen here, it looks like around 70% compliance (for those who would normally be here).

Since supermarkets are supposed to be real "hot spots" for infection, wouldn't it be great if there was a way to increase the number of delivery slots? This might persuade people to stay at home more. I could see that having a really beneficial impact.

In terms of restrictions, it will be interesting to see how far they can "push it".

Taxi men surely aren't doing as much business? Not sure why the supermarket cant pick an order and put it into the boot of the car for delivery? Customer takes order from boot taxi man doesn't leave the car. Set up a taxi rank outside the door and have streams of orders going out all day?

YFlyer wrote: »
    Thanks.

The test is virus specific?

Another coronavirus such as the common cold wouldn't give a positive reading?

No, it is specific to this strain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

I think the virus was released on purpose. The lying CCP has said it came from a wet market in Wuhan (easy to believe). There's a bio lab a couple of meters from the market the virus was meant to have come from.

They should be fcuked over and held accountable.

Fairly stupid of them to have unleashed it on their own population first and give us a heads up a few months in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Other way round. BCG was one I got in primary school. Rubella as a baby - the MMR vaccine.

No bcg is given as a baby, the supply ran out from April 2015 the decision was made that we no longer needed the vaccination. It is now off the immunisation schedule.

Your bcg is the triangle scaring on your arm. No children under 5 have this now. MMR is still given all injections go into the child's thigh., they also get the "6 in 1" and rotavirus which is given as drops.

We as children would also have received the polio vaccination along with the sugar cube in primary school. I think in one of the junior classes. Then the girls would receive a booster rubella at around 12, so 6th class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

What are doctor certs saying? For example if someone in their 80s with a history of weak heart complications gets a bug and it finishes them off do they test for Covid 19 and if it's a positive is that considered the cause of death?

A family member has passed from it, and essentially yes.

They initially thought cause of death was a heart problem as he was elderly with a heart condition. Post mortem revealed it was the virus which caused it, he had a mild cold essentially. His cause of death is the virus apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What are the stats on ICU admissions today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Did the say how many covid patients are currently as in today in ICU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,199 ✭✭✭✭josip

I don't have numbers for current ICU occupants, but the expected continued flattening of the ICU admissions is worth showing.

mLWRzsD.png

I think we're well on track for a partial relaxing of restrictions before the end of April if this trend continues.

No, it is specific to this strain.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Thestones

Our death toll for the amount of cases we have and our population is high. Why are we doing so poorly compared to some other countries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »
    A family member has passed from it, and essentially yes.

They initially thought cause of death was a heart problem as he was elderly with a heart condition. Post mortem revealed it was the virus which caused it, he had a mild cold essentially. His cause of death is the virus apparently.

RIP to your relative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Achasanai wrote: »
    Fairly stupid of them to have unleashed it on their own population first and give us a heads up a few months in advance.

has anyone heard from the uighurs lately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Aaaand we're back..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

josip wrote: »
    That was the day before, yesterday was 156 I thought?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0403/1128379-irish-daily-figures/

Your correct I was confusing the two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Thestones wrote: »
    Our death toll for the amount of cases we have and our population is high. Why are we doing so poorly compared to some other countries?

I think we are particularly rubbish at testing and thus the death / cases ratio is high because we are missing a lot of cases. But looking at the death / population ratio we are still Bette than many European countries (which could change though).

Which countries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Lundstram wrote: »
    Aaaand we're back..

A short, but much needed break, from Covid-19 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I don't have numbers for current ICU occupants, but the expected continued flattening of the ICU admissions is worth showing.

mLWRzsD.png

I think we're well on track for a partial relaxing of restrictions before the end of April if this trend continues.

I hope so, but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Looptheloop30

Other countries haven't tested at the same level as us.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭celt262

mLWRzsD.png

And then go back into restrictions in a few weeks when there is a new curve to flatten? Is that the way it is going to be for a while now .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

A pieces summarising the allegation of countries (especially the US) highjacking PPE bound to other countries.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/04/europe/coronavirus-masks-war-intl/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

No chance. It amazes me how people still believe this nonsense.

Big march in Mulberry Street ......New York

No social distances thee......mad:confused:

https://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/littleitaly/?cam=littleitaly_parade

An Italian American parade. The irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭threeball

Another 17 deaths unfortunately but all things considered we're doing remarkably well, im sure two weeks ago, seeing the numbers that have unfolded across Europe, if anyone told you we'd be at the numbers we're at you'd have taken it with both hands.

We're a day closer to seeing our isolation measures taking effect and we haven't seen a totally disastrous day yet. Some things could have been better but all things considered theres very few countries we'd swap places with.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

shocksy wrote: »

I don't think it's nonsense to suggest that. Going back to the restrictions we had originally would be a good move at the end of April. They were doing a pretty good job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

An Italian American parade. The irony.

Why are they allowing this to happen?!? No wonder new York is in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

No bcg is given as a baby, the supply ran out from April 2015 the decision was made that we no longer needed the vaccination. It is now off the immunisation schedule.

Your bcg is the triangle scaring on your arm. No children under 5 have this now. MMR is still given all injections go into the child's thigh., they also get the "6 in 1" and rotavirus which is given as drops.

We as children would also have received the polio vaccination along with the sugar cube in primary school. I think in one of the junior classes. Then the girls would receive a booster rubella at around 12, so 6th class.

We also got the meningitis c injection too whilst in school. I got it in 5th year I believe when it was first introduced. Babies are given it now I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

It's true, sorry to disappoint but it won't last until Christmas...

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I don't think it's nonsense to suggest that. Going back to the restrictions we had originally would be a good move at the end of April. They were doing a pretty good job.

Would hope for a bit sooner than that but agree with the sentiment

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Looptheloop30

I hope so, but I doubt it.

Looking at that graph, if we continue on that path, come the 3rd week in April the **** will begin to hit the fan with ICU beds all taken up.

Then the panic, reality, deaths and hysteria will set in.

People will die. In such a small country it's inevitable we will all be affected. Some people haven't grasped that yet.
    There will be no partial relaxation for a good while longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭marilynrr

Of course there's a chance.

Nothing worse than the people who reckon they're experts on lockdowns and pandemics and the lifting of restrictions even though we've never been through this before!!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Gael23 wrote: »
    Would hope for a bit sooner than that but agree with the sentiment

Me too. I'm not sure if the draconian measures announce last Friday were entirely necessary. The original measures went far enough and still kept part of the economy going and gave people some freedoms to go to hardware and DIY stores.

Do we know in average how long a Covid 19 patient spends in ICU?

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Why are they allowing this to happen?!? No wonder new York is in trouble

Insanity. Many states, such as Kansas, Texas, Arkansas still have their pubs and restaurant open.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

Somebody called the hospital where my friend works and put a message into the manager saying she shouldn’t be working because her son has the virus.

A) Her son doesn’t have the virus.
    B) He doesn’t live in this country, so we haven’t seen him in 6 months anyway.

So just a little note to people if you’ve receive info please check it out before acting on it , it can be very damaging otherwise.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement