Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

devnull wrote: »
    Remind me, who was it that created such system in the first place?

Fine Fáil. I understand that. I'm not complimenting them on it. I'm just saying that it is in their plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    Did you miss my point where I said the elderly and immunocompromised can cocoon as previously advised...

No I didn't miss it. I see it as irrelevant if expert advice mandates lock down beyond June 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

It is hard to produce exact numbers on a daily basis because it is a continuous 24/7 service.

Some labs might get through 300 samples a day one day and 400 the next depending on staff levels, number of tests coming in, reagents available etc. It's not a fixed throughput, and more labs may be coming on stream or offering a limited service until all their staff are trained to run it.

That's why figures are always approximate at the time of release or publication. Its constantly changing as there are numerous conditions that can effect the daily number of tests that can be carried out.

You are also contribtuing to rumour and fear.

If you would like to find answers to your questions you can try contacting the Customer care officer at the NVRL Helen Dawkins at helen.dawkins@ucd.ie or on 01-716 1257
    The number being sought is the number of tests the labs in aggregate can process daily.

The qualifications you are citing, apply to any processing operation distributed over separate locations.

The usual method of dealing with them is establish maximum practical throughput per location, then in aggregate the fluctuations between locations can usually be expected to balance out.

Any significant deviations in throughput normally indicate/reflect a system failure.

Absence of information and obfuscation is what leads to rumour and fear, not seeking information/clarification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,830 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Jesus.:( I thought the curve was supposed to be flattening there. Is there no end to this?

That's a dramatic improvement in terms of new cases.

It's about 4% now. Not only that but the actual.number of new cases is lower than it's been in 2 weeks. This is very significant. If this continues the pressure will start to ease up.on the hospital's in Italy which means more critically ill patients will survive.

The absolute horror of another 812 deaths is undeniably terrible, but in terms of the overall picture for Italy that nu.ber of new cases is the best statistic to come out of Italy in this crisis. The direction of travel is now clear.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

They haven't been clear at all on the ICU bed numbers available and that needs to improve.

When they were talking about it previously I think they meant covid ICU, or rather pseudo ICU beds that could be set up with the specific equipment to support covid patients.

I haven't been one to criticise the response generally, but communication on beds and need numbers has been poor and sometimes contradictory.

I know someone working in the NHS in the UK who says that a few hospitals there now have two ICU areas, one for coronavirus and one for everything else with a total capacity greater than the existing previous units.

There was one hospital in particular where it involved cascading of quite a few departments, wards and equipment and repurposing in order to achieve this and was said to be logistically quite challenging.

The same might be happening here but it doesn't happen with a click of the fingers as many different types of patients and their needs need to be accounted for whilst also trying not to disrupt care to those who need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I presume that Miriam will be getting another go as LLS host on Friday.

The virus took one look at Miriam and said “ ah I know when I’m out of my league”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Una Mullally wrote an article today in the IT saying just that. That this is our opportunity to reconfigure society.

We had a chance to reset the housing system in Ireland 10 years ago but vested interests didn't allow it. I fear the same now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

what are we gonna do? stay locked down for over a year until there is a vaccine?

Destroy our economy and have more people die from poverty than the virus would kill. Plus good luck keep the hospitals open if we close shop for a year.

The elderly and immunocompromised can cocoon as previously advised...

I read an article post here saying that most of the people who died of CoVid19 in the UK already had existing serious illnesses and would've dying from something else in the next year.

People need to stop talking about the economy as if it's some kind of force of nature outside human control like for example the weather or, you know, a virus.

People won't die from poverty if the correct measures are put in place to protect them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

It’s a pain in the hole , but I am sticking to because I am hoping the short term inconvenience will prevent it continuing long term.
    I am full time carer and my child has underlying health issues which he has to stay indoors .. my wife has to work and is gone 13-15 hours a day , we can’t get out during the day and we are all going a little crazy. My wife takes the other kids out for a walk when she returns for work and I get out for 30 minutes when kids are in bed.
    I miss the gym and I miss my weekend hobbies, if this going to be long term I know my mental health is going to suffer and trying to keep a special needs child entertained is tough enough but it makes the whole situation worse with no end in-site..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Jaysus, Irish people get in everywhere.

First we had Dr Michael Ryan on the daily WHO pressers, and now I hear an irish voice on the daily UK presser, and it's a Dr Yvonne Doyle, who is the Director of Health Protection with Public Health England!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

marilynrr wrote: »
    Completely agree. It can't go on that long and will cause so many problems.

There are spouses and children in abusive homes right now, locked in with their abusers. There's people who were probably on the verge of ending relationships and they're now stuck where they are. That must be mental torture.

Even for the people who are in non abusive households there is a big problem with mental health issues in this country, this will make those worse in some cases...there will be even mentally healthy people who develop mental health issues because of it.

We will without a doubt see suicides or murder suicides if this goes on long term.

2 domestic murders and a murder suicide in the UK in recent days.

A person on here was calling for the guards to use violence against people who go out to buy food. Some are actually hoping for martial law.

Police in the UK are harassing and shaming people who arent breaking the law, people are reporting their neighbours for going for walk, going mad about people buying chocolate ffs. There are talks of phone tracking etc. Loads are pretty much willingly signing up for a totalitarian regime, ****ing idiots. And it's been what, 2 weeks?

How is this in anyway sustainable in the long term?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Ryan Tubridy has tested positive for Covid-19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Does Tubridy not have shed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

To quote Fr. Jack. I'm so so sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭jackboy

Una Mullally wrote an article today in the IT saying just that. That this is our opportunity to reconfigure society.

Would that be an improvement? If we scrap private health systems then we would have to pump much more money into the public system. Quality would decrease also as the private hospitals would be dragged down to the level of the public system.

It might sound good to take something off those who can afford the private health system but would things really improve for anyone.

We had a chance to reset the housing system in Ireland 10 years ago but vested interests didn't allow it. I fear the same now.

Probably right.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Does Tubridy not have shed?

In fairness, a phonebox would do him.

But the political parties know what people want. They've been told in an election not so long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭marilynrr

So, come June 1st, fcuk the elderly and immunocompromised.

Have you read the posts or threads on here about people who have elderly parents who don't want to stay in?
    A lot of them hate this and would rather just take their chances, and think that it would be far worse to be locked up in their homes not able to see anyone when they might not have many months or years left in their lives anyway.

People act like it's for their own good, but do the elderly or vulnerable not get a say in it? Are we not going to take into consideration what some elderly people actually want?

If this goes on until June/July then unfortunately some elderly people will die from other age related issues and for their last few months the option for their family to see them, for them to hold their great grandchildren or lots of little things that are important to them will be taken away from them! They might have been saved from covid-19 but it's a very sad end to their days.

• Advertisement

No I didn't miss it. I see it as irrelevant if expert advice mandates lock down beyond June 1st.

You can't seem to accept that the opinion Rugby Lad is expressing is a valid one and is shared by a large percentage of the population. All you want to do is shut it down with snide remarks like 'ah **** the elderly then, eh?'

Has the virus infected Tubs, or has Tubs infected the virus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Christ the fact those obsessed with getting the economy back ASAP are now trying to play it as concern over increasing suicide rates is extremely distasteful.

Not to mention again look at fcuking Italy if you want to see an inreasing death rate and thats from this virus. Its clear to see reduced actions leads to a far bigger death rate. So they are actually advocting more deaths to try and "save" the economy and "prevent" suicide.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

They haven't been clear at all on the ICU bed numbers available and that needs to improve.

When they were talking about it previously I think they meant covid ICU, or rather pseudo ICU beds that could be set up with the specific equipment to support covid patients.

I haven't been one to criticise the response generally, but communication on beds and need numbers has been poor and sometimes contradictory.

The data is available and pretty solid. It's not something that the wider public needs much granular detail on though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,830 ✭✭✭✭bilston

There is no way people will stick to the lockdown if it is still here in June/July...

People will be stir crazy and no way people will do in for months during the summer

People will start to get itchy feet at some stage (which coincidentally is why the UK were slow to implement measures for this very reason).

However, I don't see the current restrictions all still being in place come July. There will still be restrictions, but maybe not as draconian. But we have to get over the surge first, maybe by the end of April (not saying restrictions will be lifted then, just a plan to start lifting them down the line can be formulated) a firmer plan can be set out if it is past by then.

jackboy wrote: »
    Would that be an improvement? If we scrap private health systems then we would have to pump much more money into the public system. Quality would decrease also as the private hospitals would be dragged down to the level of the public system.

It might sound good to take something off those who can afford the private health system but would things really improve for anyone.

It's possible that those hospitals could continue to be run by private groups and the staff employed as such its just the public would have access to them.

jackboy wrote: »

It would mean increasing taxes and VHI/LAYA etc. going out of business. Probably unconstitutional or against EU law...

• Advertisement

In what way does Una want to reconfigure society. She does realise that we are only in a position to spend all this money because of capitalism, otherwise where would the money have come from in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

shocksy wrote: »

Ya remember on the Late Late Show when he said there was no need to send away his test swab........

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

devnull wrote: »
    I know someone working in the NHS in the UK who says that a few hospitals there now have two ICU areas, one for coronavirus and one for everything else with a total capacity greater than the existing previous units.

There was one hospital in particular where it involved cascading of quite a few departments, wards and equipment and repurposing in order to achieve this and was said to be logistically quite challenging.

The larger Irish hospitals are doing this alright. Multiple ICUs, multiple EDs etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Both Tubridy and Claire Byrne showing us how to wash our hands on their respective TV shows.... and look what happens.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Christ the fact those obsessed with getting the economy back ASAP are now trying to play it as concern over increasing suicide rates is extremely distasteful.

Not to mention again look at fcuking Italy if you want to see an inreasing death rate and thats from this virus. Its clear to see reduced actions leads to a far bigger death rate. So they are actually advocting more deaths to try and "save" the economy and "prevent" suicide.

If it wasn’t for our recent booming economy where do you think we’d have got all the money that’s being thrown around? Seriously, do you think Leo pulled it out if his arse?

• Advertisement

There are spouses and children in abusive homes right now, locked in with their abusers. There's people who were probably on the verge of ending relationships and they're now stuck where they are. That must be mental torture.

Even for the people who are in non abusive households there is a big problem with mental health issues in this country, this will make those worse in some cases...there will be even mentally healthy people who develop mental health issues because of it.

We will without a doubt see suicides or murder suicides if this goes on long term.

It's also not fair on the elderly and vulnerable. Not all of them want to be locked up. Some of them might not have very many months or years left in their lives and may resent being told they have to stay in for their own sakes to prolong their lives. Some will want to carry on and take their chances, rather than spending their last few months in their homes, not allowed to see their great grandchildren, even visits to the window are not allowed anymore.

Excellent post.

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Both Tubridy and Claire Byrne showing us how to wash our hands on their respective TV shows.... and look what happens.

I spat my hand sanitiser all over the screen!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭PhantomHat

Lavinia wrote: »
    sweden didnt impose any measures yet as they want to see how it goes. even schools are open restaurants and everything else
    The Swedes are in big trouble if they carry on like that. They are a super liberal nation. Maybe restrictions fly in the face of that.

You can't seem to accept that the opinion Rugby Lad is expressing is a valid one and is shared by a large percentage of the population. All you want to do is shut it down with snide remarks like 'ah **** the elderly then, eh?'

Has the virus infected Tubs, or has Tubs infected the virus?

I understand the point. I disagree with it. If people arbitrarily ignore expert advice then vulnerable people will die. Just a fact. Do I trust the HSE/government to balance the needs of vulnerable people with people's frustration and the economy? I do simply because they have more expertise and facts than anyone else.

splinter65 wrote: »
    In what way does Una want to reconfigure society. She does realise that we are only in a position to spend all this money because of capitalism, otherwise where would the money have come from in the first place?

Read the article.

• Site Banned Posts: 93 ✭✭Marsden35

German lads seem to be coping okay.

I wonder if the cultural habits of the French, Spanish and Italians to kiss everyone they meet might be playing into the higher rates for them?

A firm handshake is all you need. Double kissing is for big jessies. People who're into all that louvre and poncy opera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Ryan Tubridy has the virus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

We are as close to a lockdown as we can go, pretty much only essential services are operating and people can only leave there home for food/exercise.

What else could be done?

We will be in lockdown when
    1. Public are not allowed drive around
    2. All public transport is stopped
    3. People are only allowed leave house once a week for essentials under written request. Army and Gardai patrolling streets to fine or jail those not following rules

That's where Italy are right now

It's can get harsher like China implemented, not sure any western nation would go this far unless it was more lethal

1. Nobody is allowed leave house under any circumstances. Food and medicine brought to you by army.
    2. Roads, bridges blocked off isolating communities and towns/cities from one another.

If phase 2 isn't adhered then phase 3 is brought in and that involves physically/bolting people in houses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I’m sure that will come later, but how do you define an essential service worker?

Employers seem to be able to decide for themselves.

I know I've banged on about this here quite a bit but my husband got his essential worker letter from his boss today.

They're stating they are an essential business because they sell online -

"hand sanitizer" Which they only just started stocking so they could cash in on the crisis.

"health supplements" they sell things like activated charcoal and green powders, not actually vitamins or anything, think Gwyneth Paltrow type stuff.

and "essential skincare products" they don't sell anything medicated, just the regular skincare/beauty products you would find in Debenhams etc.

But I contacted the Gardai and the HSE live people and was told there is nothing in place for checking businesses and nobody to report them to except for maybe local representatives.

He was stopped this morning on the way in and told to make sure he has a letter next time, I'll be interested to see if he gets stopped again tomorrow morning and if anything is said about the letter. Probably not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,269 ✭✭✭✭briany

This is a SKY news piece asking how many in the UK have already contracted the virus, including cases who were asymptomatic or didn't report to hospitals or for a a test.

Seems to be promoting the idea that the UK could actually hit the herd immunity point quite soon. At least, relative to what predictions had been.

There's probably a good bit to pick apart in that video, but a question I do have is at the rate this virus is currently spreading, and given that vaccines are not forecasted to be ready for several months at the earliest, then isn't it likely that we'll hit the point of herd immunity much sooner than a vaccine will be available?

• Advertisement

Look i think it's clear that capatilisim is a force for good. But allowing everything to be decided by the market is foolish. People are looking for a balance. There is a balance that needs to be met. Ireland has done well out of capatilisim but we should be taking better care of our people. Compassionate capitalism should be our goal and we need government to respond to issues like they have to this one.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Just in relation to number of icu beds, Drogheda hospital have announced that their newly constructed temporary icu ward has 14 beds, all with respirators etc. They had 8 regular, so total icu capacity is now 24. That's just one hospital, but assume others are doing the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

josip wrote: »
    Hold on, hold on.
    In the beginning we had 255 ICU beds.
    Then they identified where we could double ICU bed capacity.
    Then they said they were enlisting the private hospitals and that would increase their ICU capacity.
    (At this point I assumed that the doubling plan they had first announced was the private hospital one)
    But bringing private hospitals on board is only going to increase ICU capacity by 47 beds.
    So is our total ICU capacity only 255 + 47 = 302 ?

I don't know, but it's possible the private hospitals will be used to conduct more routine hospital procedures/clinics/treatments away from the major hospitals which will then be used for covid 19 related treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

It's also not fair on the elderly and vulnerable. Not all of them want to be locked up. Some of them might not have very many months or years left in their lives and may resent being told they have to stay in for their own sakes to prolong their lives. Some will want to carry on and take their chances, rather than spending their last few months in their homes, not allowed to see their great grandchildren, even visits to the window are not allowed anymore.

None of that will matter if they are all dead from the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭redarmy

Tonight’s COVID-19 media briefing has been moved to 7pm at the Department of Health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,784 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

shocksy wrote: »

Poor Tubs, is he in Claire's shed

I do wonder how he has had his test and result fast like some others from RTE and before I get eaten here, I'm just curious as some are waiting testing and results since mid March ( in testing thread, many anxious waiting )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Is Una opposed to capitalism then? I must have missed that.

You could also argue that rampant capitalism has a big part to play in the advent of this pandemic. Leave aside the anti-Chinese wet market stuff, the spread of nasty new diseases such as Ebola, Sars, covid etc is part of a wider human campaign of exploitation of natural resources - opening up the rain forests to logging, mineral exploration etc is exposing us more and more to these unpleasant new pathogens. Blaming the wet markets alone is short-sighted and mostly likely the result of bigoted attitudes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

All these figures in the media getting tested positive for covid-19. Suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

pjohnson wrote: »

How do you think we are paying for all of the PPE, the fantastic skilled hospital workers, pay peoples wages who cannot work because of lockdown.

We need a strong economy to pay for these stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Have you read the posts or threads on here about people who have elderly parents who don't want to stay in?
    A lot of them hate this and would rather just take their chances, and think that it would be far worse to be locked up in their homes not able to see anyone when they might not have many months or years left in their lives anyway.

People act like it's for their own good, but do the elderly or vulnerable not get a say in it? Are we not going to take into consideration what some elderly people actually want?

If this goes on until June/July then unfortunately some elderly people will die from other age related issues and for their last few months the option for their family to see them, for them to hold their great grandchildren or lots of little things that are important to them will be taken away from them! They might have been saved from covid-19 but it's a very sad end to their days.
    I was just listening to the UK government science officer. He seems optimistic that the rate of increase in cases and hospitalisation is increasing at a slower rate. He also hinted that nobody in the world has any real idea how we get out of the present restrictive regime. Slowing the spread means prolonging the agony. Herd immunity is not possible in any reasonable timeframe.
    There will come a point where people, and particularly the elderly, will just say to hell with this and start to resume their normal lives and just take their chances. Hopefully a vaccine will be found but that’s not going to be anytime soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement