Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Any word on Portugal and the virus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Jesus.:( I thought the curve was supposed to be flattening there. Is there no end to this?

That is a huge decrease in cases. Lockdown will not affect deaths for a while as there is a huge lag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Marsden35 wrote: »
    German lads seem to be coping okay.

I wonder if the cultural habits of the French, Spanish and Italians to kiss everyone they meet might be playing into the higher rates for them?

A firm handshake is all you need. Double kissing is for big jessies. People who're into all that louvre and poncy opera.

I stopped using the tongue. Worked for me so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

rossie1977 wrote: »
    We will be in lockdown when
    1. Public are not allowed drive around
    2. All public transport is stopped
    3. People are only allowed leave house once a week for essentials under written request. Army and Gardai patrolling streets to fine or jail those not following rules

That's where Italy are right now

It's can get harsher like China implemented, not sure any western nation would go this far unless it was more lethal

1. Nobody is allowed leave house under any circumstances. Food and medicine brought to you by army.
    2. Roads, bridges blocked off isolating communities and towns/cities from one another.

If phase 2 isn't adhered then phase 3 is brought in and that involves physically/bolting people in houses

I was in China during the lockdown, I was able to go to the shop, and use the bus/subway. So I don't know where you're getting your information from.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

branie2 wrote: »

No I haven't heard from them in a while. Maybe someone should go check on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Another large increase in Turkey, 1610 new cases again today and 37 deaths. It will be at a rate similar to most of Western Europe soon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    No I haven't heard from them in a while. Maybe someone should go check on them.
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/portugal/

pretty decent so far considering the circumstances

• Administrators Posts: 54,137 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

pjohnson wrote: »
    Christ the fact those obsessed with getting the economy back ASAP are now trying to play it as concern over increasing suicide rates is extremely distasteful.

Not to mention again look at fcuking Italy if you want to see an inreasing death rate and thats from this virus. Its clear to see reduced actions leads to a far bigger death rate. So they are actually advocting more deaths to try and "save" the economy and "prevent" suicide.

No economy, no health service.

There will absolutely come a time when we have no choice but to get people back to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Read the article.

Why bother when you can just extrapolate from your inherent prejudices...."piece by a stroppy Irish Times lesbian....probably hates the entire Western Way of Life"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

shocksy wrote: »

Mixed results from Italy. However the downward trend in new cases should lead to lower deaths in a week or two. Looks like Italy might have hit their peak but will remain with high level of deaths for another week.

• Advertisement

3. People are only allowed leave house once a week for essentials under written request. Army and Gardai patrolling streets to fine or jail those not following rules

It's can get harsher like China implemented, not sure any western nation would go this far unless it was more lethal

1. Nobody is allowed leave house under any circumstances. Food and medicine brought to you by army.
    2. Roads, bridges blocked off isolating communities and towns/cities from one another.

If phase 2 isn't adhered then phase 3 is brought in and that involves physically/bolting people in houses

Phase 3 in your example is pointless. The purpose of restrictions is to slow, not to stop, the spread of the virus. If you stop it, it will just come back every time an infected person enters the country. In the absence of a vaccine (which could be 18 months away) it has to be let spread a little. Data right now would suggest that the balance between slowing the spread and not overwhelming the HSE is probably about right

Lavinia wrote: »
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/portugal/

pretty decent so far considering the circumstances

Thanks for that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

davedanon wrote: »
    Is Una opposed to capitalism then? I must have missed that.

You could also argue that rampant capitalism has a big part to play in the advent of this pandemic. Leave aside the anti-Chinese wet market stuff, the spread of nasty new diseases such as Ebola, Sars, covid etc is part of a wider human campaign of exploitation of natural resources - opening up the rain forests to logging, mineral exploration etc is exposing us more and more to these unpleasant new pathogens. Blaming the wet markets alone is short-sighted and mostly likely the result of bigoted attitudes.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Whestsidestory

Do we need to be informed on the Rte news that Tubridy has contacted the virus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

What time is the DoH briefing on at?

awec wrote: »

There will absolutely come a time when we have no choice but to get people back to work.

The worst case scenario is 15-18% contraction in the economy. And that would be temporary, to a greater or lesser degree.

A long way from 'no economy'.

awec wrote: »

It’s not just suicide. It’s increased deaths through addiction, depression, anxiety, poor nutrition, poor public health, and an even more poorly funded health service

What time is the DoH briefing on at?

7pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

He's a public figure. Has his fans too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Antares35 wrote: »
    None of that will matter if they are all dead from the virus.
    most people wont even wait till end of April to get back to normal so dont imagine after these measures anyone will be taking much more time off, for ifs and maybes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I work in a big supermarket chain, and it's been just as busy if not busier today than any other Monday. Fake lockdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

briany wrote: »

This is a SKY news piece asking how many in the UK have already contracted the virus, including cases who were asymptomatic or didn't report to hospitals or for a a test.

Seems to be promoting the idea that the UK could actually hit the herd immunity point quite soon. At least, relative to what predictions had been.

There's probably a good bit to pick apart in that video, but a question I do have is at the rate this virus is currently spreading, and given that vaccines are not forecasted to be ready for several months at the earliest, then isn't it likely that we'll hit the point of herd immunity much sooner than a vaccine will be available?
    Yes but is it herd immunity while on lockdown and practicing social distancing? Afaik Herd immunity is only possible with a vacinne. There are also still unknowns about this virus, it could mutate into something more deadly (unlikely) How immune people are to it afterwards and for how long? Is there long term damage done to organs that can lead to complications afterwards?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Breaking Tubridy has the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

marilynrr wrote: »
    Have you read the posts or threads on here about people who have elderly parents who don't want to stay in?
    A lot of them hate this and would rather just take their chances, and think that it would be far worse to be locked up in their homes not able to see anyone when they might not have many months or years left in their lives anyway.

People act like it's for their own good, but do the elderly or vulnerable not get a say in it? Are we not going to take into consideration what some elderly people actually want?

If this goes on until June/July then unfortunately some elderly people will die from other age related issues and for their last few months the option for their family to see them, for them to hold their great grandchildren or lots of little things that are important to them will be taken away from them! They might have been saved from covid-19 but it's a very sad end to their days.

Nobody gets a say. We could all say that the measures should not apply to us because of our own extenuating circumstances, and if we did, there would be no measures in place at all.

I don't get this idea that elderly people are all sitting at home in God's waiting room, counting out their days and figuring they might as well make the most of them and to hell with the consequences. My dad is 73 and is in lockdown. He knows the importance of keeping himself safe and is looking forward to (hopefully) meeting his little granddaughter who is due soon, whenever this thing is over. He plans to spoil her rotten and at this stage, I will let him :) He isn't waiting to die, but he could very well be if people don't adhere to the measures we are being asked to implement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Are all current open cases being monitored? Do people go home and self isolate, what happens then?

Just looking at the amount of cases on worldometer and only 158,000 recovered. That's out of 750,000 cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Ironic to see tubs getting tested live on late late to show the nation not to worry and stressing his test wouldn’t be sent away as not to be wasting resources and he came up positive after all.
    Wish him a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

I work in a big supermarket chain, and it's been just as busy if not busier today than any other Monday. Fake lockdown.

As long as people are told they can go out to shop for essentials, they will. Also, I think the fact that the measures are getting more stringent mean people will be even more keen to shop early.

I haven't been in a shop for nearly 3 weeks (and I used to go every second day, at least!), but I'm hoping the 'the tribute' in this house - i.e. the young person chosen to go for the benefit of us all - will do a big shop tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, why not? If someone like Graham Norton or Ant & Dec contracted it in the UK, you would expect their respective broadcasters to announce it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

donfers wrote: »
    Breaking Tubridy has the virus

How's he doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭This is it

We've all seen the images of Dublin, Limerick, Cork, motorways, etc. empty. Fake lockdown me arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Also one important thing to note is that China has fantastic online delivery infrastructure. You can order from a restaurant and it will be at your door in 20 mins or less. Or you can order from their versions of Amazon you can get the item in the evening if you order it in the morning, so it is a lot easier to stay at home in China.

Now compare the above with Ireland...I tried to order something on boots and I had to sit in a virtual queue for 10 hours and when I finally got in everything I needed was sold out, I then ordered stuff on Amazon and it is gonna take about 2 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is anyone watching RTE? Some ancient woman getting a happy birthday outdoors but there were a few dozen OAPs within a big sneeze of one another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

https://twitter.com/hemantmehta/status/1244344119545208834

Phew, it's all over. Why didn't they get this guy involved months ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

22 nursing home outbreaks is appalling.

• Advertisement

dePeatrick wrote: »
    Yes but is it herd immunity while on lockdown and practicing social distancing? Afaik Herd immunity is only possible with a vacinne. There are also still unknowns about this virus, it could mutate into something more deadly (unlikely) How immune people are to it afterwards and for how long? Is there long term damage done to organs that can lead to complications afterwards?

Al valid points. But if antibody tests show that many people have had it and have been symptom free, then it would suggest that additional restrictions of movement are not required....that the spread is being effectively managed, within the capacity of the NHS to handle the critical cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭Allinall

The same number of groceries need to be bought. Probably more, given that more people are at home.

No fake lockdown. No lockdown anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,561 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How is it a fake lockdown? Supermarkets are one of the few places that people can go to.
    Makes sense to me that they are busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

RTE has to be one of the clusters now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Sure the only place you can go is to the supermarket. Not surprising.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Has Ryan been diagnosed with the virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

I understand the point. I disagree with it. If people arbitrarily ignore expert advice then vulnerable people will die. Just a fact. Do I trust the HSE/government to balance the needs of vulnerable people with people's frustration and the economy? I do simply because they have more expertise and facts than anyone else.
    Agree with you simply because there is no alternative, not political point, believe that an Irish government of any colour or kaleidoscope of colours, would be following WHO, ECD, HSE, CMO, Dept. Health guidelines and advice, maybe faster/slower, harsher/gentler.

What has been concerning all along is the prevailing culture in the last three getting in the way, together with the tendency to value announcement over delivery.

That said, was more reassured by the greater confidence and openness displayed in the latest briefing.

Only wish a decision had been made initially to created a parallel and physically separate care system to treat COVID-19 patients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    Also one important thing to note is that China has fantastic online delivery infrastructure. You can order from a restaurant and it will be at your door in 20 mins or less. Or you can order from their versions of Amazon you can get the item in the evening if you order it in the morning, so it is a lot easier to stay at home in China.

Now compare the above with Ireland...I tried to order something on boots and I had to sit in a virtual queue for 10 hours and when I finally got in everything I needed was sold out, I then ordered stuff on Amazon and it is gonna take about 2 weeks

That's so tough. I can only imagine the stress you must be under. The virus has really hit you hard.

davedanon wrote: »
    ."piece by a stroppy Irish Times lesbian....probably hates the entire Western Way of Life"

A bit harsh on your colleague there, Dave!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,342 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ryan Tubridy confirmed he has it....I wonder how long he had to wait for his test and results...

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Any idea what time the briefing is on at ? I thought 5.45pm ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

This is it wrote: »
    We've all seen the images of Dublin, Limerick, Cork, motorways, etc. empty. Fake lockdown me arse.

There’s an awful lot of people out and about today froggy.roads and shops v busy in Galway according to people I was talking to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It’s not just suicide. It’s increased deaths through addiction, depression, anxiety, poor nutrition, poor public health, and an even more poorly funded health service

That’s a very hard effect to quantify though. Coronavirus killing thousands fits in a headline much easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Is anyone watching RTE? Some ancient woman getting a happy birthday outdoors but there were a few dozen OAPs within a big sneeze of one another
    She is 104!

gmisk wrote: »
    Ryan Tubridy confirmed he has it....I wonder how long he had to wait for his test and results...

A few days for the result, I'd imagine

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement