Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Beasty wrote: »
    When they said "now", they didn't mean "now", them meant "then" (or 7pm in time language)

Alas this prediction cannot be guaranteed, and indeed it won't be "now", may not be "then" as it could be "later"

"Time" will tell

":pac:"

Can't they stick to one time a day or at least re-play recordings at a set time of a day, let's say 9 pm or so? I'd like to watch these briefings but I usually miss them.

Plus, why not put them up in the RTE player app for watching?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Marsden35 wrote: »
    3 weeks ago we knew all about the seriousness of this. Should have been a lot earlier.

Very emotive subject though as many residents don't have a long time left and telling their family they can't visit for weeks/months on end is pretty hard.

I think they moved pretty early....a nursing home would be an obvious hotspot for any pandemic and were always going to be hit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭marilynrr

Hermy wrote: »
    The thing about other age related issues is they are not contagious.

If they don't adhere to the guidelines to stay indoors then it may be a sad end to many peoples lives.

Yes but I'm talking about after the initial lockdown is over.
    People including vunerable and elderly people should have the choice to go out and take that risk. They may catch covid-19 and pass it on, but that will be to others who also wanted to take the chance and just try to live out the rest of their life as normal as possible.

There should be very strict procedures in place to protect those who want to be cocooned.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

YFlyer wrote: »
    Housemate uses lab grade gloves when he is making his meals.

He should wash his hands before preparing food and send the gloves where they're needed most.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,842 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

voluntary wrote: »
    Can't they stick to one time a day or at least re-play recordings at a set time of a day, let's say 9 pm or so? I'd like to watch these briefings but I usually miss them.

Plus, why not put them up in the RTE player app for watching?

Those are very good questions, to which I have no answers

Sorry...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭blackcard

Anyway be know how many new cases today

Tony Holohan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Lavinia wrote: »
    Apparently he is already over with it, had very mild symptoms and already recovered

I wonder if rte are paying there wages while out sick

• Site Banned Posts: 93 ✭✭Marsden35

France taking a hit today. 418 deaths. They actually have a higher proportion of patients in critical condition than Italy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

marilynrr wrote: »
    People including vunerable and elderly people should have the choice to go out and take that risk. They may catch covid-19 and pass it on, but that will be to others who also wanted to take the chance and just try to live out the rest of their life as normal as possible.

There should be very strict procedures in place to protect those who want to be cocooned.

You do realise that being old and being happy with dying from Covid doesn't stop you from infecting other people, right? And that irrespective of what people might want for themselves (be it sticking to their running routine or meet their friends and relatives), if they catch it they will increase the burden on the health system, and cause untold grief to the people they care about and those who care about them?

I do hate the word "cocooning", though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

ZX7R wrote: »
    I wonder if rte are paying there wages while out sick

No, he's living on the €350 a week dole.ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭realrebel

Ironic to see tubs getting tested live on late late to show the nation not to worry and stressing his test wouldn’t be sent away as not to be wasting resources and he came up positive after all.
    Wish him a speedy recovery.

How did he get test results back so quickly
    My brother in law and another fella got tested 10 days ago and heard nothing back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Is it possible he was tested before criteria changed?

France taking a hit today. 418 deaths. They actually have a higher proportion of patients in critical condition than Italy.

And that's only counting hospital settings.

Outside hospitals is not included for some bizarre reason no one can understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I was critical of RTE news not covering this enough a few threads back but it seems to be all corona now, too much I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I wish

Outside hospitals is not included for some bizarre reason no one can understand.

How do you mean? presumably if you're critical then you're in hospital, no?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

But every person who gets sick just now, whether from Covid-19 or anything else, becomes another demand on a health system almost at breaking point.

These restrictions are not there to cater for the individual - they are there to protect the populace as a whole.

Any person who doesn't adhere to them is putting others at risk, especially those front-line workers who have no choice but to leave home to provide for the rest of us.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Not if you're over a certain age, it's not guaranteed at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

NY State is in big trouble. They have more cases now than anywhere else on Earth except Italy, China and Spain and on current trajectory will pass out China by end of the week, Spain by the weekend and Italy next week.

At approximately 20 million population it's alot smaller than the aforementioned mentioned countries and only has 3,000 ICU beds to deal with what will be over 100,000 cases next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Plus addiction, depression, anxiety, poor nutrition, a general deterioration in public health, and no money to give to the health services in a banjaxed economy. Can you quantify increased deaths related to those?

It's funny. The people clamouring for the economy to be saved and people not be cooped up for weeks to the detriment of their mental health might well be characterised as 'of the right', politically. Yet their concern doesn't extend to prisoners. They want longer sentences for them, and fewer 'luxuries', like tellies etc. Stuff that helps mental health for those in confinement.

Funny that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

The stats show they are more likely to need hospitalisation/ventilators/ICU beds - cocooning all over 70's gives more hospital capacity for younger patients. Will they have a "no treatment if infected" disclaimer? Or once infected will they expect treatment?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

I have a feeling America (both North and South) will be hit much harder by the virus than Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Anyone know how many new cases today

Briefing at 7pm according to Fergal Bowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Red for Danger

You're wrong again! they agreed last week to count all deaths from today on.

• Advertisement

France is not including deaths outside hospitals in it's figures (like nursing homes, homes etc).

I don't know why.

There must be some practical reason for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Una Mullally wrote an article today in the IT saying just that. That this is our opportunity to reconfigure society.
    The chance of that happening with the same old parties is virtually nil.
    I hope I'm wrong.

France is not including deaths outside hospitals in it's figures (like nursing homes, homes etc).

I don't know why.

There must be some practical reason for it.

Oh wow. That does seem odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

No I think we go through this current lockdown to try to flatten the curve, ease up on restrictions slowly then and take our chances from there.

You might rather a bit of short term pain for long term gain, but there are people out there in their 80s and 90s who might not have long left and might want to take their chances with the virus. There is no 'long term' for them. This is close to their end of life as it is. A very strict lockdown might prolong life, but at what cost to their quality of life? It should be individual choice. For the vulnerable who want to be cocooned then systems should be put in place for that. For those who don't, then they should be allowed to live their life as they wish.

It is imprisoning the elderly, family members are not even allowed to go and see them through the windows anymore, they must be devastated.

And absolutely there are elderly who have families who don't give a damn about them, and it's extremely sad and heartbreaking, that doesn't mean that it's ok to take the family visits away from the ones who do have that!

My mother is in her 80's and I don't think she's ready to shuffle of this mortal coil just yet, she nearly died from pneumonia 5 years ago and is the one telling us and her grandchildren NOT to come into the house, she was getting really edgy this time last week and started calling the shots which I'm glad she did rather than being told, it's restrictive for her, (for her age she's pretty active), none of us like it but my family has two other much younger members who are high risk and have to be equally careful so it's all about doing the best we can to protect them.
    It's bitter medicine but better than the alternative in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

Cuomo on sky now.
    He's brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Hermy wrote: »
    He should wash his hands before preparing food and send the gloves where they're needed most.

I agree. I said to him that wearing gloves won't make a difference if you put your hands to your face. He agreed and thanked me.

Can understand when he wears the gloves going shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

He probably spends more than each day on coke

You're wrong again! the agreed last week to count all deaths from today on.

Have you got a link for this change?

Sorry but I can't keep an eye on top of the minutia of reporting in every single country on the planet.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭solidasarock

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    He probably spends more than each day on coke

Someone should tell him to cut down on the fizzy drinks. That stuff will wreck your teeth

Another thing that no-one seems to have considered is the following. It's counter-intuitive, but I've heard it from several people who would be considered quite well, by society's standards, but who might tend towards depression, or be overly anxious about their lives, their jobs, their relationships. They report a reduction, sometimes a sharp reduction, in their level of stress and worry. It just doesn't seem to matter as much anymore. It's something that is common in wartime. Samuel Beckett once said that he never felt so alive as during the war, when he was undertaking extremely hazardous, not to mention heroic, work with the French Resistance.

So, I wouldn't be worrying so much about people's mental health and how it fares during this crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Heard my dad downstairs cursing at the tv - asked him what was wrong, he said those people arrived back to Dublin airport from Peru and one of them ran straight up to their mum and threw their arms around her and gave her a kiss...Jesus Christ.

davedanon wrote: »
    It's funny. The people clamouring for the economy to be saved and people not be cooped up for weeks to the detriment of their mental health might well be characterised as 'of the right', politically. Yet their concern doesn't extend to prisoners. They want longer sentences for them, and fewer 'luxuries', like tellies etc. Stuff that helps mental health for those in confinement.

Funny that.

That is not comparable in the slightest.

If you commit a crime you know the consequences

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

deise08 wrote: »
    Cuomo on sky now.
    He's brilliant.

I don’t know why the Democrats don’t put him forward as a presidential candidate. He’s the best communicator I have ever seen on the political stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,694 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

froog wrote: »
    22 nursing home outbreaks is appalling.

They dont seem to have been taken seriously enough at the beginning. On March 6th Nursing Homes Ireland wanted a lockdown on all nursing homes but the Chief Medical Officer was against it
    Dr Holohan appealed again to organisations, schools and healthcare providers, not to act unilaterally by closing or restricting access to services following the decision of the Nursing Homes Ireland to implement visitor restrictions nationwide.

Dr Holohan said 18 infections is a low number, and that the risk of infection in Ireland is still low.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0307/1120765-coronavirus/

Nursing home staff seem to have no PPE and to make things worse now nursing homes are complaining that the HSE are trying to poach their staff

Someone should tell him to cut down on the fizzy drinks. That stuff will wreck your teeth

I heard he uses a straw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Apparently not included in Irish figures either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

jos28 wrote: »
    Ryan Tubridy just tested positive. First Clare Byrne and now Tubridy, RTE need to get the cleaners in !

I call bulls##t in all 3 cases.
    Egomaniacs.

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    That is not comparable in the slightest.

If you commit a crime you know the consequences

Riiiiight. Of course it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Do we need to be informed on the Rte news that Tubridy has contacted the virus?

I think it's important. Especially to make sure there wasn't one for everyone in the audience.

Reports coming in that there was a contaminated batch of cocaine in the Donnybrook area, the dealer had covid and coughed into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

suicides are not hard to quanitify, in ireland over 300 people die from suicide every year so it means more than 1 per day.. so statistically it would mean that about 90 people lost their life in ireland already this year alone..

You know there’s 365 days in a year??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

bekker wrote: »
    Apparently not included in Irish figures either.

So, nursing home deaths will not be included either ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I always see articles popping up practically everyday like 'doctor in New york cures all patients with malaria drug' ' 5 people in singapore in critical condition make full recovery after doctor administers some cocktail of drugs' are these stories just bs or why are those methods not then disseminated and used worldwide?

washman3 wrote: »
    I call bulls##t in all 3 cases.
    Egomaniacs.

Yeah, they're just all flat-out lying to make themselves feel more important. That's totally logical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Heard Prince Charles is over it. Do you think they were given a small dose of a different strain. Seems a lot of important people getting it but not that ill.

https://twitter.com/QuickTake/status/1244630279362404352?s=20

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement