Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Current growth rates are unsustainable according to the team.

I don’t want one but it looks like a lockdown is inevitable and probably sooner than we expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

As disappointing as not getting them at all? Or the leaflet for that matter, which is probably out of date by now!

I'd be happier not getting any. They're an answer to a question no one asked.
    Haven't even looked at the gaudy yellow leaflet yet, telling me things I've had drummed into me for the last couple of weeks no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

walshb wrote: »
    I remember when Leo out the 15 k number out there, thinking he’d hardly be doing it without solid prediction advice...

Was it based off everyone behaving as they are at the time he said it?

It was based on a day on day 30% increase between then and the end of the month.

Thankfully, we have managed to keep the increase much less than 30%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You got to be fairly positive in the numbers, its very stable no surge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I remember when Leo out the 15 k number out there, thinking he’d hardly be doing it without solid prediction advice...

Basically yes, and without any of the current restrictions, school closures etc. In place.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I have to say. I feel safer living in Ireland then any other country in the EU in relation to the pandemic.

There are EU countries doing better than us.

We are only mid rank in the EU. Eastern Europe (EU countries) took stronger measures earlier and have done a better job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Jin luk wrote: »
    Id say the bigger numbers to come this week if testing is still all good with plenty of capacity and the peak will happen around 14th to 15th

Yeah even without a surge in percentage terms we should hit the "15k" by around April 18th. Hopefully the measures will be kicking in.

rossie1977 wrote: »

I don’t want one but it looks like a lockdown is inevitable and probably sooner than we expect.

How much more of a lockdown do you think there can be while still maintaining a functioning society?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,721 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It was based on a day on day 30% increase between then and the end of the month.

Thankfully, we have managed to keep the increase much less than 30%

I get that, but based off us all still behaving the same each day I meant...

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

What sort of lockdown?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    Families still walking together out there like holydays...
    Families are allowed to go out and walk or jog within 2km.

I get that, but based off us all still behaving the same each day I meant...

Yes, that would have been the inference.

Hence the changes in behavior, and thankfully, the apparent change in infections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

quartz1 wrote: »
    I think it's absolutely positive that Gardai will stop cars and question people as regards there movement during this period. I even find it acceptable that people have their phone tracked if its strictly regulated....I however find it unacceptable that there are no border controls....... we all do our best to flatten the curve but somebody flying in from abroad will be handed a leaflet asking them to self isolate for 14.days .

I find it very worrying how people are lining up to give away their freedoms. Hard to get them back once it's done but yeah let's just go full on totalitarian regime, make sure you report your neighbours like a good citizen, what could possibly go wrong?

owlbethere wrote: »

But advised to keep clear distancing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Not much more they can do except increase enforcement of what is already in place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Limpy wrote: »
    That's great. Looks like the kid's will get to go back to school soon.

No they won`t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Coronavirus: 8 more deaths and 295 new cases in Ireland confirmed

Holy ****. Feels like we are being wiped out ffs.

Why cant people just stay indoors.

Dramatic much? Wiped out?!

FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭marilynrr

Are you seeing the same figures as the rest of us? the ones that are actually being reported?

The full lockdown that you keep going on about (because apparently we're not in lockdown yet) will be reserved for if our numbers start going completely out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Wish people would stop throwing around the word lockdown at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Tony Holohan on last three questions he was directly asked ... We don't have that information etc... waffle ..waffle

Lengths of his answers are in inverse proportion to numerical information divulged.

Yes, that would have been the inference.

Hence the changes in behavior, and thankfully, the apparent change in infections.

Gotcha...

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Did they just say that some slides are waiting 11 days because they have no reagent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

I'm not convinced the measures are working that well. Not yet anyway. They've just run out of tests like the rest of the countries. If you look at the graphs on Worldometer for example, you can see the amount of cases is not really growing the way it would if they had enough testing capacity.

We are doing okay. I'd like to see a massive increase in testing but at the end of the day and as cruel as it sounds I expected the death toll to be far greater at this stage. I'm delighted it's not.

We are far from out of the woods yet and my big fear is others looking at these numbers and saying fvuk it "it's only killing old people, im going back to normal"

Those people are our common enemy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

owlbethere wrote: »

I thought it was individual
    Anyway I prefer stay home btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,291 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I find it very worrying how people are lining up to give away their freedoms. Hard to get them back once it's done but yeah let's just go full on totalitarian regime, what could possibly go wrong?

Also hard to get freedoms back if you end up in ICU from coronavirus and suffocate to death.

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote: »
    Dramatic much? Wiped out?!

FFS

FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

The primary reason I think is that we were a little late to the party. So when we did our shut downs and social distancing, the virus had not yet gained such a foothold.

We're still on the same trajectory as Italy for deaths per million but this figure lags considerably cases of infection.

507677.png

This is a chart of deaths per million on a logarithmic scale starting from the first death in a country.

it's very dangerous to read too much in to a chart of death per million.
    most of China, Italy and Spain cases were around one or two city's not the countries total numbers.
    also the more we test the more we find that is not a bad thing
    look at the number of cases and death of the uk verses Ireland
    China has about .05 percent but that's because 99% of China was not in the zone of infection

Regards

Coyote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Wibbs wrote: »
    TBH B I'm just looking at ICU and fatality figures. In the absence of blanket testing for nearly everyone they're the only sure way to know how we're doing.

But the ICU numbers are incorrect. It’s not the current number. It’s the total who passed through the ICU. There must be a reason for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Some of these journalists sound like they are transition year students

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

"across 11 countries, since the beginning of the epidemic, 59,000 [21,000-120,000] deaths have been averted due to interventions.
    In Italy and Spain, where the epidemic is advanced, 38,000 [13,000-84,000] and 16,000 [5,400-35,000] deaths have been averted, respectively.
    Even in the UK, which is much earlier in its epidemic, we predict 370 [73-1,000] deaths have been averted"
    Source: Imperial College London
    Estimating the number of infections and the impact of non-pharmaceutical interventions on COVID-19 in 11 European countries
    https://www.imperial.ac.uk/mrc-global-infectious-disease-analysis/COVID-19/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,210 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Wibbs wrote: »
    TBH B I'm just looking at ICU and fatality figures. In the absence of blanket testing for nearly everyone they're the only sure way to know how we're doing.

But what exactly is the ICU figure. It changes daily between cumulative and current.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,830 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I fear what's going to happen is that they are going to loosen the restrictions way too soon thinking we're in the clear. Back to the herd immunity plan I guess. All this talk about people being free to go as they please after seven days illness sounds very worrying too knowing that the virus will spread before symptoms and stay in the system infecting others for at least a month if not longer.

As for deaths, surely they are not going to test each and everyone dying of lung related symptoms. There will still be people with the cause of death simply listed as pneumonia and nothing more. The announced figures are still an estimate.

I reckon restrictions will be removed gradually and each time they loosen them the authorities will wait a couple of weeks to test the impact. There won't be a sudden click on the fingers and a return to normality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Zardoz

It was a ridiculously high figure .
    Whether he did it for shock factor or just completely miscalculated I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Jin luk wrote: »
    What sort of lockdown?

Public transport all suspended including private coaches and buses.

Car use prohibited unless in emergency

Forcing people to stay home, only one trip each week by written request. Anyone out without request is either sent home, fined or jailed depending on how times they disobey order.

Army and Gardaí patrolling every town in country

That sort of lockdown or something like we have seen in Italy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

John.Icy wrote: »
    Lads quit blaming testing capacity.

~95% of tests are negative. Thousands being tested. It just isn't a catastrophic amount of people infected that some weird people are looking for it seems??

This has increased since the changed case definition. But based on the new criteria, well over 80% of tests are still negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

Coyote wrote: »
    it's very dangerous to read too much in to a chart of death per million.
    most of China, Italy and Spain cases were around one or two city's not the countries total numbers.
    also the more we test the more we find that is not a bad thing
    look at the number of cases and death of the uk verses Ireland
    China has about .05 percent but that's because 99% of China was not in the zone of infection

Regards

Coyote

The 1st case in the uk was noticed alot sooner than our first case we were late to the party dont mean the death toll is going to start growing more and more once we run out of ventilators thats it then the death toll will fly up unfortunatly

But the ICU numbers are incorrect. It’s not the current number. It’s the total who passed through the ICU. There must be a reason for it.

There's accurate numbers available. The likes of WorldoMeters is good, but not good for the likes of ICU admissions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Dr Colm Henry seems a waste of time having on this ,,he never answers a question with a straight answer

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

Zardoz wrote: »
    Whether he did it for shock factor or just completely m:rolleyes:iscalculated I'm not sure.

Maybe real cases are fair higher than 15k already so he did great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

We are far from out of the woods yet and my big fear is others looking at these numbers and saying fvuk it "it's only killing old people, im going back to normal"

"Common enemy". Terrible rhetoric from you BanditLuke.

Also its totally out of the hands of ordinary citizens. People with the 'wrong' opinion aren't going to be influencing public policy anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Kivaro wrote: »
    This is worth repeating.
    Let's hope that the rate of infection stays at this level for the next few weeks.

And another thing; remember those high rises and high density buildings that many wanted in this country?
    The lack of them may also contribute to the current results that we are seeing here in Ireland.
    Look at the density levels in Spain and Italy versus Ireland, and then compare the rates of infection. Early days yet I know .....

Also sh*tty public transport helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I was watching the briefing and I put my hand up in my to ask a question of the team but then I'm in my kitchen and not there in their conference room.

If there's any journalists here and going in for any briefing - can you ask a question from me but only if you want to:

According to news reports some countries got faulty PPE from china. Was the PPE that arrived into Ireland investigated for quality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Coronavirus: 8 more deaths and 295 new cases in Ireland confirmed

Holy ****. Feels like we are being wiped out ffs.

Why cant people just stay indoors.

Every one of your posts seems to react like this, regardless of the numbers. Were you expecting this to have blown over by now? Things will be increasing for some time, it's about getting the increase to within levels that our health service can manage, and increases below 15% are considered positive (in the grand sense of things).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

BanditLuke wrote: »
    We are doing okay. I'd like to see a massive increase in testing but at the end of the day and as cruel as it sounds I expected the death toll to be far greater at this stage. I'm delighted it's not.

You can't go back to normal when there's nothing open :confused:

The government hold on the power now after closing most of the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

RobertKK wrote: »
    There are EU countries doing better than us.

We are only mid rank in the EU. Eastern Europe (EU countries) took stronger measures earlier and have done a better job.
    I wouldn't be looking at league tables. There are any number of reasons why numbers are as they are, even pure luck. Our numbers are still rising but definitely going the right way towards that flat curve. In short, we do appear to be doing the right thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Whether he did it for shock factor or just completely miscalculated I'm not sure.

no it was not a ridiculously high figure it was the growth rate of 30% which we were following till they made changes in public life.
    damned if you do and damned if you don't, if they made not changes people would complain that we had 15K cases, if you warning people and making changes they your warning does not happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Also hard to get freedoms back if you end up in ICU from coronavirus and suffocating to death.

More hyperbole. It's almost like there may be ways to mitigate the spread of the virus which dont involve the government imprisoning and tracking people, as some in here are calling for. Perhaps something like what is happening already (which I completely agree with for the short term, but it isnt sustainable if we want a functioning society)

It was based on expert modelling of unmitigated growth.

That's still the baseline growth rate in an uncontained scenario. This stuff is pretty basic, if you can't understand it it's probably worth leaving the figures/stats alone altogether?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Amirani wrote: »
    There's accurate numbers available. The likes of WorldoMeters is good, but not good for the likes of ICU admissions.

How many are in the ICU today?

Where do I find this please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭jackboy

Guards out pointing a scanner at cars but not stopping anyone. What is that about? It’s outside a town and definitely not a speed check.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement