Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

RobertKK wrote: »
    There are EU countries doing better than us.

We are only mid rank in the EU. Eastern Europe (EU countries) took stronger measures earlier and have done a better job.

Robert I would have been one of the posters championing stronger measures earlier but what's done is done now no point revisiting it as we can't change those decisions.

All we can do now is get behind the health workers and hope we can keep flattening the curve until we have a vaccine or cure. This is a marathon not a sprint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

CMO just said 54 new cases and 2 deaths https://www.pscp.tv/rtenews/1dRKZQqWqmVxB is that a half day figure?

That's from two weeks ago, not today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

walshb wrote: »
    FFS!

FFS FFS. This place needs more FFSing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Amirani wrote: »
    This has increased since the changed case definition. But based on the new criteria, well over 80% of tests are still negative.

On what test count? 295 vs 5000 tests is 94% negative. Plus or minus a little as it's a slight grey area on swabs vs completed PCRs. Not saying you're wrong just curious where 80% is from.

EDIT: well over 80% tbf could be 90% plus...could you clarify a little where you got your numbers from?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Projections are really difficult without knowing how many tests are done each day and more importantly how many total test results comprise the daily new cases figure.
    One would imagine that the new testing criteria of only testing those with 2 symptoms would result in a higher percentage of the test results being positive.How much higher this will be is hard to quantify.
    Also will people claim to have 2 symptoms when they don't in order to get a test?
    Equally our case numbers will be affected by what happens when the backlog of testing those with 2 symptoms is cleared...what criteria will be used on those still wishing to get tested?

Daily figures are an inaccurate guide and I think 3 or 5 day moving averages are a far better indicator...I would be encouraged that these trends are showing that the daily new cases moving average is not indicating that we will have a spike in cases.
    However whether that is caused in part by constraints in the total number of new tests and laboratory capacity is the key...

I would be hopeful rather than confident that we might peak towards the end of this week rather than mid April as has been suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,210 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    More hyperbole. It's almost like there may be ways to mitigate the spread of the virus which dont involve the government imprisoning and tracking people, as some in here are calling for. Perhaps something like what is happening already (which I completely agree with for the short term, but it isnt sustainable if we want a functioning society)
    With some of the stupid fcuks in the Irish population there really isnt.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

owlbethere wrote: »
    I was watching the briefing and I put my hand up in my to ask a question of the team but then I'm in my kitchen and not there in their conference room.

If there's any journalists here and going in for any briefing - can you ask a question from me but only if you want to:

According to news reports some countries got faulty PPE from china. Was the PPE that arrived into Ireland investigated for quality?

Paul Reid answered this earlier. It is being inspected to check it meets WHO standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I was watching the briefing and I put my hand up in my to ask a question of the team but then I'm in my kitchen and not there in their conference room.

If there's any journalists here and going in for any briefing - can you ask a question from me but only if you want to:

According to news reports some countries got faulty PPE from china. Was the PPE that arrived into Ireland investigated for quality?
    Harris answered that in the earlier briefing, checked before purchase and checked when they arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

fullstop wrote: »
    FFS FFS. This place needs more FFSing!

FFS STFU FF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

some countries (spain) got faulty 15 min test kits, not from the China government, they bought privately and were not proven to work. shock something invented 3 weeks ago is not fully tested

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

joe_99 wrote: »
    He's very unlikely to up these powers after
    I agree.
    And when that happens, will the EU take action?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Paul Reid answered this earlier. It is being inspected to check it meets WHO standards.

Thanks. I didn't see Paul Reid. Hopefully it's all going well.

Zardoz wrote: »
    It was a ridiculously high figure .
    Whether he did it for shock factor or just completely miscalculated I'm not sure.

I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle. And if the "shock and awe" approach was deliberate, I commend him for it. Amount of selfish clowns congregating in large numbers at beaches and parks needed the proverbial kick up the backside. Stark reality is that hundreds if not thousands will die from Covid-19.

jackboy wrote: »
    Guards out pointing a scanner at cars but not stopping anyone. What is that about? It’s outside a town and definitely not a speed check.

"We're watching you! What are you doing out, lad?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Robert I would have been one of the posters championing stronger measures earlier but what's done is done now no point revisiting it as we can't change those decisions.

All we can do now is get behind the health workers and hope we can keep flattening the curve until we have a vaccine or cure. This is a marathon not a sprint.

100% agree with your last sentence. This was said by Dr Holohan and the others a good while ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Beasty wrote: »
    Until they tell us how many results the figures are based on (each day) we really cannot tell

The easiest way to keep down the positives is to keep down the number of test results. I am not suggesting this is being done deliberately, but it does help "manage" the figures

Serious lack of reagents. I gather that's why a lot of tests had to be dropped on the 24th. Had to be more pin point with them. That is the case as of the weekend where Senior HSE staff gave individual presentations to the press and said as much.

It also explains why ICU fugures more than tripled between the 20th and the 24th. ICU figures went to 88 with COVID19. Thats people turning up in a bad way, some of which were probably awaiting tests. They are the quite serious cases, requiring ventilation. Covid19 and normal ICU patients share overall ICU capacity.

And thats where the trouble lies. Only 500 ICU beds between public and private, at this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

is_that_so wrote: »
    Harris answered that in the earlier briefing, checked before purchase and checked when they arrive.

Lol didn’t we pay for it already? You would think the WHO could certify it in Beijing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Jennifer Bray asked this today of Simon Harris. He said it would be inspected in Ireland before distribution. Check Richard Chambers on Twitter. He linked to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭poppers

I think the high rate of infection in the health care workers is could be due to the fact that ireland is not used to seeing highly infectious diseases so people are not overly cautious when dealing with patients.
    Even on the continent you get Rabies etc. Just an opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Guards out pointing a scanner at cars but not stopping anyone. What is that about? It’s outside a town and definitely not a speed check.

Check the reg against the address maybe to see how far the driver is from home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭spookwoman

If they are running out of kits and reagent and it looks like they are prioritizing then there is a good chance they are not getting through 2000 or whatever number they said they are these days any more. So would that mean the percentage of positives has gone up?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

EU countries with higher populations than Ireland with less people in critical or serious condition.

Poland 3 (31 deaths) population around 38m
    Romania 33 (52 deaths) population around 20m
    Hungary 6 (15 deaths) population around 10m
    Bulgaria 13 (8 deaths) population around 7m

Ireland is listed at 59 (54 deaths) population around 5m

There is this myth we are doing better than others but some of these countries had quarantine for 14 days for people coming from Italy and other affected areas.
    Some of them had governments who stopped flights to hotspots and not wait for the airlines to do it.
    Plus secured their borders to control it.

Our death toll is most likely higher with our smaller population due to the initial inaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

Recognition plates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

poppers wrote: »
    I think the high rate of infection in the health care workers is could be due to the fact that ireland is not used to seeing highly infectious diseases so people are not overly cautious when dealing with patients.

I doubt anyone in the universe involved in health is not being cautious right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭celt262

Jennifer Bray asked this today of Simon Harris. He said it would be inspected in Ireland before distribution. Check Richard Chambers on Twitter. He linked to it.

It might have been better to check it in China if it turns out faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

growleaves wrote: »
    "Common enemy". Terrible rhetoric from you BanditLuke.

Also its totally out of the hands of ordinary citizens. People with the 'wrong' opinion aren't going to be influencing public policy anytime soon.

You couldn't actually be any more wrong if you tried. It's completely in the hands of ordinary citizens. Each one of us has and is playing our part. I would be nervous that doesn't continue though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

bilston wrote: »
    I reckon restrictions will be removed gradually and each time they loosen them the authorities will wait a couple of weeks to test the impact. There won't be a sudden click on the fingers and a return to normality.

Some interesting charts here from Spanish flu on when social distancing was implemented relative to death surge and when it was lifted

https://www.google.com/amp/s/api.nationalgeographic.com/distribution/public/amp/history/2020/03/how-cities-flattened-curve-1918-spanish-flu-pandemic-coronavirus

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

It’s a 5G gun.

Your fooked.

bekker wrote: »
    Tony Holohan on last three questions he was directly asked ... We don't have that information etc... waffle ..waffle

Lengths of his answers are in inverse proportion to numerical information divulged.
    He probably doesn't but I do like the way he doesn't tell them where to go! Journalists questions about data had become banal, journalists now ask about any number that comes into their head!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭jackboy

Check the reg against the address maybe to see how far the driver is from home?

That’s fair enough. I didn’t realize they had scanners that could instantly give them such details. Definitely handy in this situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

EU countries with higher populations than Ireland with less people in critical or serious condition.

There is this myth we are doing better than others but some of these countries had quarantine for 14 days for people coming from Italy and other affected areas.
    Some of them had governments who stopped flights to hotspots and not wait for the airlines to do it.

Our death toll is most likely higher with our smaller population due to the initial inaction.

Those figures are not necessarily up to date. Its very unlikely poland has 3 patients in a serious condition out of 2000.

Germany's serious/critical stats were not updated for a long time and I thinkit said 2 in a serious condition when they had 10,000 cases. Its 2000 in a serious or critical condition now, took a long time to update. Countries are not obligated to publish stats on serious/critical conditions, just up to date numbers on new cases and deaths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I find it very worrying how people are lining up to give away their freedoms. Hard to get them back once it's done but yeah let's just go full on totalitarian regime, make sure you report your neighbours like a good citizen, what could possibly go wrong?

A - This may come as a surprise to you, but there is a worldwide pandemic ongoing.

B - What freedom do you think has been taken from you that you will not get back again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭1641

Taking the car temperature?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

I doubt anyone in the universe involved in health is not being cautious right now

They may be trying to be cautious, but if they don't have the right gear, there'll be (avoidable) infections. There's a lot of anger in the NHS regarding their PPE gear (or rather their lack of) and (anecdotally) there's a similar sentiment over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It's all Leo's and Fine Gaels fault this virus, if Mary Lou was in with Health guru Louise Reilly wed all be spending Easter with our families

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Public transport all suspended including private coaches and buses.

Car use prohibited unless in emergency

Forcing people to stay home, only one trip each week by written request. Anyone out without request is either sent home, fined or jailed depending on how times they disobey order.

Army and Gardaí patrolling every town in country

That sort of lockdown or something like we have seen in Italy

Ideally that is what should happen. Unfortunately the resources are not there to enforce it. The fines and /or jail time could be introduced to some degree though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's all Leo's and Fine Gaels fault this virus, if Mary Lou was in with Health guru Louise Reilly wed all be spending Easter with our families
    in Glassnevin. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

poppers wrote: »

Its most likely down to the manner in which staff were left to protect themselves, with nothing, No or limited PPE. Infact it was so limted that the HSE sent the most ridiculous circular to staff telling them to stick their used PPE in an oven at 70degrees for 30 minutes.

Did you not see the videos from staff pleading for PPE from anyone in Ireland that had some? Because their employer let them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

That’s fair enough. I didn’t realize they had scanners that could instantly give them such details. Definitely handy in this situation.

Yeah handy in this situation. And they will stop using them after?

These are the sort of powers the US police have that are completely abused and which are routinely criticized on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭poppers

I do contract work in pharma labs youd be suprised what people do by habit even with toxic chemicals mainly becuse they are used to working with less potent materials

• Advertisement

STB. wrote: »

Its most likely down to the manner in which staff were left to protect themselves, with nothing, No or limited PPE. Infact it was so limted that the HSE sent the most ridiculous circular to staff telling them to stick their used PPE in an oven at 70degrees for 30 minutes.

Did you not see the videos from staff pleading for PPE from anyone in Ireland that had some? Because their employer let them down.
    Well, they now have PPE coming out their ears or will do by Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭maebee

Ficheall wrote: »
    There are 31 days in March.

Yea, most years. This year it has 61😉

wakka12 wrote: »
    Those figures are not necessarily up to date. Its very unlikely poland has 3 patients in a serious condition out of 2000.

Germany's serious/critical stats were not updated for a long time and I thinkit said 2 in a serious condition when they had 10,000 cases. Its 2000 in a serious or critical condition now, took a long time to update

But their deaths tolls are lower and I hope for them they stay that way.
    I know from an Eastern European friend they had taken action up to at least 2 weeks before we did anything.
    We just had people deflecting from responsibility due to an election until it was too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

Ideally that is what should happen. Unfortunately the resources are not there to enforce it. The fines and /or jail time could be introduced to some degree though.

You would need a huge recruitment drive if you want a guard hiding behind every postbox.

There's already been talk of a €2,500 fine and up to six months imprisonment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

celt262 wrote: »
    It might have been better to check it in China if it turns out faulty.

Christ almighty! Then it would be "why are they fapping about checking the stuff in China when we need it over here?"

People just love a good old complain.

They were all asleep thinking about an election result.

growleaves wrote: »
    You would need a huge recruitment drive if you want a guard hiding behind every postbox.

There's already been talk of a €2,500 fine and up to six months imprisonment.
    We may not get to that point at all. Compliance overall has been good so I can't see them granting powers like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Zardoz

It was based on expert modelling of unmitigated growth.

That's still the baseline growth rate in an uncontained scenario. This stuff is pretty basic, if you can't understand it it's probably worth leaving the figures/stats alone altogether?

Yes ,it is basic stats and it was a ridiculously high figure.

Italy has 101k cases,Spain has 72k cases and both those countries are ravaged by it.
    Italys population is 60m, Spain 47m,both more than 10 times our population .

Ireland introduced numerous restrictions and had the benefit of seeing what happened in other countries like China,Italy and Spain .

15k cases by the end of March in a population of 5m was too high .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Lord Fairlord

2 domestic murders and a murder suicide in the UK in recent days.

A person on here was calling for the guards to use violence against people who go out to buy food. Some are actually hoping for martial law.

Police in the UK are harassing and shaming people who arent breaking the law, people are reporting their neighbours for going for walk, going mad about people buying chocolate ffs. There are talks of phone tracking etc. Loads are pretty much willingly signing up for a totalitarian regime, ****ing idiots. And it's been what, 2 weeks?

How is this in anyway sustainable in the long term?

Covid19 would be a Communist's/Nazi's/etc's dream; a real totalitarian's charter - but it's all for our benefit so don't worry guys... People reporting on their neighbours is straight up from the East German playbook. I don't believe that anyone is an NPC but I must say that many Irish people have done a good impression of one the last decade at least.

One other thing; we know for a fact that people who have lost their jobs (of whom we have many now) are more likely to die than otherwise from heart and liver issues as well as suicide.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement