Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

fin12 wrote: »
    No that’s exactly what I believe.

Sorry towns around the country cancelled their own parades before that c*nt decided we should.

Around the same time Trump was claiming its just another flu right??

Trump talked yesterday about banging models in the same veign as hundreds of thousands of deaths.

He is a joke of a human. This reflects badly on those who elected him and continue to approve of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Not sure there's much of a difference. The Italians have underreported deaths by a factor of 3 or 4.
    A lot of people have died of covid 19 and been buried without so much as a test.

Are we including nursing home deaths in our figures? No-one seems to know.

I think we are going by the median age most days

Not sure there's much of a difference. The Italians have underreported deaths by a factor of 3 or 4.
    A lot of people have died of covid 19 and been buried without so much as a test.

Are we including nursing home deaths in our figures? No-one seems to know.

I think we are going by the median age most days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

The PPE situation looks worrying.

Other countries have experienced similar problems with PPE shortage and the only source for PPE is from china and that stuff is of poor quality.

How are other countries dealing with the PPE situation now? Like the Dutch got bad stuff from china. What are they doing for PPE?

Are there any plans in Ireland? Can factories help with cleanroom wear?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

No that’s exactly what I believe.

Sorry towns around the country cancelled their own parades before that c*nt decided we should.

You need to figure out who is actually running the show and who are the "frontmen"
    The people controlling this mess are some of the best medical people on the planet.
    The Leo and other mouthpieces are just that. Mouthpieces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I posted this in Devore's Hope thread, but it's worth repeating in a main daily thread ...

Infection rate of those with Covid-19 has dropped, latest figures show

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0404/1128496-covid-19-figures/?fbclid=IwAR29MDeTiVSQh2zyzdg0lW8XSs5qgUlXlQQKXeWi3exUCN4U2CoiRMX_U3c

"The number of people that a person with Covid-19 is infecting in Ireland is reducing.

The "RE" number, or the reproductive rate of the virus, refers to how many other people a confirmed case goes on to infect, and it is closely monitored by health officials.

On 16 March, a person infected with Covid-19 here would "likely" infect another 4.3 people.

Minister for Health Simon Harris said that by the end of March, this dropped to 2.5 people.

At a news conference this afternoon, Mr Harris said that this is "real progress", but said we need to get this number below one. He said if we can reduce this figure to below one, it means the "virus doesn't sustain itself in the community".

Mr Harris said that the next seven days will be "absolutely critical".
    The number of "close contacts" recorded for people with the virus has now reduced to three, down from around 20 a few weeks ago.

Mr Harris said that this is because we are now "making it harder for the disease to spread".

However he said, even though the rate of growth is slowing, it is still too high"

As he correctly says if you want the number of infected people to drop you need the R0 to drop below 1. According to one study the super draconian measures in Wuhan brought it down to 0.3. We don’t need to go that far but if it is correct that we are currently at 2.5 it actually is pretty bad news as it means with our current measures the virus is still progressing pretty quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Strazdas wrote: »
    Yes, ideally you'd want the new case growth rate well under 5% every day : that would be the first real sign things were starting to shift.

Fair point. I see we're now at 8% but that it's down on yesterday

How does 8% compare to other major countries?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

growleaves wrote: »
    I haven't looked into it really but I'm surprised that its considered such a wild theory. Isn't it basically the idea that radiation-emitting masts are emitting harmful radiation? Perhaps untrue but not exactly lizard people from the Planet Zygon.

Many celebrities are now backing this theory in the UK, such as Amanda Holden and boxer Amir Khan and sharing it on social media, it really seems to be getting some traction.

Having lived in the UK I'm seeing quite a few people sharing this theory as well, even those I would have thought were far too sensible to come out with this kind of thing.

Even the Christian fundamentalists are getting in on the act and saying it's caused by the coming of the antichrist who is about to invoke a new world order unless we stop him.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Did they not state at a press conference that all death figures here included hospital and non hospital deaths. Think they used clinical and non clinical terms.
    If anything, we seem to be over stating the deaths, it's almost like every death gets tested and if they are positive for covid19, it get added to the statistics.

Missed it tonight, so can't say yes or no regarding the non hospital deaths, but it might be more accurate if they did/are given people believe Germany are hiding their figures by not recording covid as the cause of death if they can and France weren't including nursing homes originally, which seen the large increase occurring in their figures this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭Tippex

blackcard wrote: »
    Over 50% of Americans approve of his handling of the crisis

Thats because the polls are always done in Oregon state hospital ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    You probably think that's edgy or clever but in reality you need to have a look at how countries have handled this. I didn't vote FG but I can't fault his handling in terms of timing, level of response etc. Anything that wasn't perfect was a failing in every country.
    Stop right there, implementing WHO, ECDC, Dept of Health, CMO recommendations as lagardly as possible is not leadership.

Any Irish government of any complexion, caretaker or not, would be doing the same thing.

We haven't had a leader or decisive minister in this country for decades, they are all creatures of the permanent government, which in turn abhors initiative, or radical change, and is perpetually in pursuit of greater and tighter degrees of control.

Before rearing-up, check out the extremely centralising and restrictive 'Irish' implementations of EU directives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

circadian wrote: »
    I think refrigerated vans are hard enough to come by. Was talking to the wife about this a few days back. They could use the refrigerated vans for stuff that has to be kept in them and a separate delivery for all other items. Sure, it means two deliveries but it'll increase capacity. Most people are in all day now anyway.

Not just are delivery trucks hard to come by, the ones that are available are being fcuking vandalized 😠

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/supervalu-extremely-disappointed-as-vandals-significantly-damage-three-delivery-vans-39091536.html

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

growleaves wrote: »
    I haven't looked into it really but I'm surprised that its considered such a wild theory. Isn't it basically the idea that radiation-emitting masts are emitting harmful radiation? Perhaps untrue but not exactly lizard people from the Planet Zygon.

The most rudimentary research about different kinds of radiation would quickly show how ignorant and stupid it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Fair point. I see we're now at 8% but that it's down on yesterday

How does 8% compare to other major countries?

Two similar countries to ourselves are Denmark and Norway.

Denmark are on around 8% every day and Norway on approx 5%. So we're all in and around the same level, with Norway slightly more successful.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just warming up

No 13:eek: is round the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

Which countries?

Well for example Israel and Australia, both have more cases than us, higher populations but much lower amount of deaths. Just look at the numbers. It makes you wonder what are we doing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭marilynrr

Bob24 wrote: »
    As he correctly says if you want the number of infected people to drop you need the R0 to drop below 1. According to one study the super draconian measures in Wuhan brought it down to 0.3. We don’t need to go that far but if it is correct that we are currently at 2.5 it actually is pretty bad news as it means with our current measures the virus is still progressing pretty quickly.

I would imagine that for some people they've passed it on to members in their household, and haven't been spreading it to 2.5 people outside their homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I’m guessing cause people didn’t travel as much and I think also SARS wasn’t as contagious.

just came across this:
    Though the SARS death rate was higher than COVID-19, COVID-19 has already claimed more lives.

According to Johnson, contact tracing was really effective with SARS, largely because symptoms were severe and therefore easier to identify and contain.

In addition, Schleiss said the SARS virus didn’t have the “fitness to persist in the human population,” which eventually led to its demise.

and this:
    For the SARS pandemic in 2003, scientists estimated the original R0 to be around 2.75. A month or two later, the effective R0 dropped below 1,

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Thestones wrote: »
    Well for example Israel and Australia, both have more cases than us, higher populations but much lower amount of deaths. Just look at the numbers. It makes you wonder what are we doing wrong.

We likely have much more cases than the official numbers. When looking at this I would always compare us to other countires in Western Europe with similar populations such as Norway, Denmark etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

owlbethere wrote: »

Other countries have experienced similar problems with PPE shortage and the only source for PPE is from china and that stuff is of poor quality.

How are other countries dealing with the PPE situation now? Like the Dutch got bad stuff from china. What are they doing for PPE?

Theres a post above from a doctor which was quite frankly refreshing to hear and mentioned ppe.

The Dutch & spain it's been frequently said ordered from unapproved suppliers. We didn't we went with WHO approved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Two hot countries and Covid arrived in Australia later than in Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Bob24 wrote: »

2.5 isn't really reflected in the figures, and is still exponential. Sounds too high to me.

You'd think that a R0 at that level would see more than a doubling of new cases every N days where N is the time people are infectious. Assuming people full self isolate after they have symptoms, or are in bed, or in hospital or quarantine, then most of that would be in the 5 days or so people are asymptomatic. Do we see more than doubling every 5 days or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    We likely have much more cases than the official numbers. When looking at this I would always compare us to other countires in Western Europe with similar populations such as Norway, Denmark etc.

Norway has 5.5k cases and only 62 deaths versus us at 4.6k and 137 deaths. Denmark is doing slightly worse than us in terms of deaths at the moment.

Beasty wrote: »
    Just warming up

No 13:eek: is round the corner

These threads are going faster than the testing and results for Covid19

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Musefan wrote: »
    Rewatching the Fifth Element this eve to do a mental cleanse!

going on a dc comics spree starting with superman movies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Isn't there an extremely high percentage of dead people that didn't go to an ICU?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

storker wrote: »
    Even that status would still put him way ahead of Trump.

Sorry, Leo has been a joke from the outset, along with the rest of them (who laughably cant even order proper PPE). And remember how Leo scoffed at some town that cancelled its St Patricks Day Parade? And what was his advice regarding that virus petri dish, Cheltenham? Well, nothing, zilch. Trump was the first to cancel flights from China and now Europe. Our spineless yes men still have flights pouring in daily from all the world's virus hotspots.
    And it's outlandish to compare us to the US or most European countries. We are in a unique position as an island on the edge of Europe, so our figures *should* be a lot better than everywhere else, incl Denmark etc. If we are doing well, its despite our inept leadership, certainly not because of it

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

just came across this:

and this:
    For the SARS pandemic in 2003, scientists estimated the original R0 to be around 2.75. A month or two later, the effective R0 dropped below 1,
    Tut, tut, selective quoting without a link to wellness media publishing brand is dubious at best, though the article is fairly balanced, unlike the quote.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/how-deadly-is-the-coronavirus-compared-to-past-outbreaks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Israel has been treating the ICU deathbed patients with stem cells. The results are very impressive. The vast majority make a full recovery in a matter of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

owlbethere wrote: »

Yeah can we not make the scrubs and other protective gear ourselves?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement