Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

gabeeg wrote: »
    There was major outbreaks in Asia at the time.
    Italy had over 3,000 known cases when he said that. Spain had over 200. Germany 59 etc etc

It wasn't a matter of hindsight. All that was required was regular sight.

They had that come-to-jesus moment where someone scared the crap out of them. Prior to that they were objectively terrible.

Holohan, given his position, should have been far more knowledgeable and wary of the virus. Instead he was telling us it was grand and there was no threat to Paddy's day.

Whitewash all this if it makes you feel more secure

Moan, moan fkn moan that's what we hear from your posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Gods Gift wrote: »
    It’s a 5G gun.

Your fooked.
    Nah, I was wearing my tinfoil hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A very passionate French nurse.
    The lack of early action in France made it a lot worse there. It sounds desperate there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Exactly, people here are complete NPCs that just spew out what the government tells them. If they would live through what happened say in East Germany or any of the former communist states they would understand.

Suicide rates will go through the roof, also alcoholism. More people will die this year from the above than the virus.

I would tell people to make their own masks and continue working if they want to.

The stup1d politicians always want to show they are doing something and by getting involved they just make things worse. They have caused a 1929 level market crash with their incompetence. Any of you wanting a 'lockdown' can now enjoy your economic depression for next 4 years.

The people who will die of the disease have already heavy pre-exisiting conditions and would have died anyway within maybe 5 years.

Easy there, Dominic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,830 ✭✭✭✭bilston

cnocbui wrote: »
    60 people turned up to a choir practice in Mt Vernon, Washington for choir practice. 45 have now tested positive for the virus, at least 3 are in IC and two are dead.

No one was coughing or sneezing, which the WHO have been saying would be necessary to create the large droplets they think are needed for transmission.

This incident means the WHO are wrong and that asymptomatic infected people can infect others simply by exhaling fine aerosols, meaning it's essentially airborne transmissible.

Moral of the story, ignore the WHO, they aren't on the ball.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-29/coronavirus-choir-outbreak

45/60 get the virus. 650/3000 get the virus on the Diamond Princess. Yes in both examples people will have been in close contact, but I suspect the true number of Covid 19 cases is a hell of a lot higher than 750,000. I wouldn't be that surprised if it was 100 times higher to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

What's happening with blood donations during this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri/status/1244717189665566721

I know this is going around but I think such speculation has no merit because it would have been detected and the fatality rates would have been noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

STB. wrote: »
    The data is useless without test numbers.

It is also incorrect as it hasn't captured ICU numbers correctly. They tripled between two HSE reports 20th and 24th. Hospital admission were +61% and ICU 176%.

Thanks but absolutely nothing to do with what I asked. But it gave a chance for another negative post, so you're welcome.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    But then why not go and bet against the market and make yourself a fortune from it?

It's like those saying they knew the crash was coming in 2008/2009 - it's easy to say a recession is coming, but to know when it's coming and how bad it's going to get is different.

All you posters are the same and I put it to someone two days ago - to name the 5 things you would do going forward and they refused to do it - because it they name them, and they are wrong - people will use it against them.

So I say to you Frank - 5 distinct things that should happen now going forward to help improve the situation.

Surely quarantine anyone coming into.the state for 14 days

Send help to.the north,they've signed up to tackle it on all-ireland basis....it could end up horrendous up there and their our citizens too

Dont allow anyone into enclosed spaces without wearing face-masks and provide training on how to wear em

Distribute said masks and gloves to public/make shops provide them

Get likes of jfc to manufacture idemtical head pieces that italy refused to be allowed export during the week

Drop.VAT on hand sanitser,if it hasnt already been done

All fairly simple things to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

They said this morning that they are continuing and a valid reason for travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

RobertKK wrote: »

The lack of early action in France made it a lot worse there. It sounds desperate there.

It'll be desperate here when we pass our ICU capacity, which will happen and fairly soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They're still going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

A lot of posters here on boards was saying this. Early action of stopping incoming flights from Italy - the known hotspot at the time would have helped us more. Or proper quarantine for arrivals into the country.

I know this is going around but I think such speculation has no merit because it would have been detected and the fatality rates would have been noticed.

There is noted outbreaks of pneumonia across europe before xmas

Only an.antibody test can tell for sure though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Moan, moan fkn moan that's what we hear from your posts

His early performance will lead to an untold number of deaths.

So yeah I'll have an odd moan, especially when he's having smoke blown up his arse by you lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Of course there's chancers applying for the out of work payment who've never worked. It's so brazenly funny :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There was major outbreaks in Asia at the time.
    Italy had over 3,000 known cases when he said that. Spain had over 200. Germany 59 etc etc

It wasn't a matter of hindsight. All that was required was regular sight.

They had that come-to-jesus moment where someone scared the crap out of them. Prior to that they were objectively terrible.

Holohan, given his position, should have been far more knowledgeable and wary of the virus. Instead he was telling us it was grand and there was no threat to Paddy's day.

Whitewash all this if it makes you feel more secure
    I guess you know better than the NPHET. I've found the whole process of the evolution of the public message quite fascinating, how they stepped it up, prepared us for the different stages reassured the public in a very measured fashion. I've learnt a lot from it especially that timing is everything, that the management of it is very complex and that we need to get behind the measures. It also involves complying with the present approach. which does seem to be working.

When the report is written on this it will not reference what the CMO said on an early day in March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

owlbethere wrote: »
    This is very worrying.

Surely scientists are studying this. Is there anything coming up from scientific studies on this virus about the transmission?

There isn't time for 'scientific studies' authorities have to assume worse case scenario as a default and wing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

jackboy wrote: »
    It wasn’t. It was at a crossroads and they were pointing it a line of cars doing about 30 kph. Lots of people going home after work.

Still sounds like a speed check?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Yes, the HSE stats show that the number treated in hospital was intermediate between the nos for the previous 2 years, and the no. treated in ICU was the lowest of the last three years.

The flu season did come unusually early and, though it wasn't actually that bad, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the red-tops called it a tsunami nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Omackeral wrote: »
    Of course there's chancers applying for the out of work payment who've never worked. It's so brazenly funny :pac:

But the revenue can check pretty quickly whether they've made sufficient prsi contributions and if not reject them straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

twirlagig wrote: »
    I noticed that this evening. They’re everywhere... why would you dump them in the middle of a street? I live in a small town, only about 2 shops open in the whole length of the town and there’s a bin every 20metres or so...

They dump them there because they are self entitled,greedy,ignorant fcukers who expect someone else to come along and clean up after them.
    Ignoramuses

I posted here right through it. You can go read my posts and see that I strongly disagreed with him at the time.

And I was right and Mr Holohan was wrong.
    And that by the looks of things is all that matters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

bekker wrote: »
    Tony Honohan was asked directly for % of doctors infected in Irish health care system, he said he didn't have any figures on that and then segued into a rambling discourse on how health workers could have acquired infection.

I've watched his performances in front of committees over the years and it's a favourite tactic of his when he eiher doesn't have an answer that he could reasonably be expected to have, or he seeks to avoid the logical follow-on.

He is incapable of making a point in less than 400 words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭jackboy

Of course it’s possible it was a staggeringly incompetent guard or just one acting the bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Seems unlikely alright but it keeps coming up in various articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

1641 wrote: »
    The journalist referred to a figure of something like 20 -25% of doctors in the NHS being out with the infection. Holohan said he didn't have the figure for Irish doctors but that it is nowhere like this. He had already given the figure for health workers, so obviously doctors are included in this. I don't see it as being a figure he could reasonably be expected to have had to hand - or see a reason to be evasive about it if he had it.
    As regards health workers acquiring the infection, we already know that some picked it up on holiday and returned to work with it (unknowingly). It is perfectly plausible that health workers have picked it up in this way directly, or from other health workers who had it - or, indeed, community transmission like anyone else. Also health workers are more likely to get tested than the general public so they would show up disproportionately in the numbers anyway.

This is not to detract in any way from the need for health workers to get PPE.

As regards nursing homes, as they heavily restricted visiting from an early stage (I think against public health advise - I'm not sure?) where do you think the source of nursing home infections lay? We have not been told - It is my surmise that a significant amount was from health workers. Again this is in no way to suggest any blame or to lessen their need for PPE.
    Reasonable points, I may be overly sensitive to Tony Holohan responses to questions, possibly a rough estimate is all his position demands, but it is reasonable to expect him to refer to HSE, if it's the figures are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

is_that_so wrote: »
    I guess you know better than the NPHET. I've found the whole process of the evolution of the public message quite fascinating, how they stepped it up, prepared us for the different stages reassured the public in a very measured fashion. I've learnt a lot from it especially that timing is everything, that the management of it is very complex and that we need to get behind the measures. It also involves complying with the present approach. which does seem to be working.

When the report is written on this it will not reference what the CMO said on an early day in March.

They shuld have been better prepared if it was followed seriously since January. e could have had testing at a much greater quantity early, PPE also to protect healthcare workers and flights banned much earlier. None of that was done depsite the clear evidence of what was likely to happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

The data is incorrect.

E.G. ICU Cases shot up 176% between 20th and 24th March.

Hospital admission went up 61% in the same timeframe.

How is it incorrect? It's correct based on the data published for each date.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

YFlyer wrote: »
    Is there only one positive case so far that was at Cheltenham? County Limerick, I believe.

One positive known case. In reality there are far more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Is the % increase for today correct?

Typo, it's 11.28% for today's increase.

And like Italy and Spain, the lack of response by the French to their government's instructions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭BrianD3

No it is not. Where did you even get that idea ? The ICU numbers are probably the most important right now. As they are the numbers that effectively mean ventilators. We have 500 of them in the whole country, which should be enough to scare the shít out of anyone who is even mildly good at maths.

The 88 were the number of people in ICU with Covid19 as of Saturday per Senior HSE staff who gave a presentation to journalists.

It tripled between 20th and 24th alone!

There are currently 84 with Covid19 in ICU. And of course ICU equipment is not exclusively for Covid19 patients.
    No, you are wrong. 10:50 in the following video. Journalist bottled it. "Total number that have gone into ICU".

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Thanks but absolutely nothing to do with what I asked. But it gave a chance for another negative post, so you're welcome.

I was pointing to the inaccuracy of the table. Sorry Jim but there are too many people trying to dress up something for what its not. There is a lot of people who don't understand where we are. The figures and tables do not give an accurate record of the testing or lack of and people are therefore misinterpreting percentage increases as if there were uniform testing numbers. Positive numbers are at least 4-5 days out of date by the time they are published.

As much as I'd love to be positive, the ECDC report published the day before the Taoiseach made his latest announcement indicates we are in serious trouble, our ICU capacity being the biggest elephant in the room.

The Taoiseach's move at the weekend should have signified just how serious this is. Our ICU numbers shot up dramatically.

Make no mistake, the next 2 weeks are critical. The only thing people can do is stay in and continue to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Lost my job today. Great craic. I applied for the covid 19 payment on welfare. It says I needed to apply for job seekers as well. Did that. I'm guessing that was what's supposed to be done?

Sorry to hear that jacksie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭Talisman

bekker wrote: »
    Tony Honohan was asked directly for % of doctors infected in Irish health care system, he said he didn't have any figures on that and then segued into a rambling discourse on how health workers could have acquired infection.

I've watched his performances in front of committees over the years and it's a favourite tactic of his when he eiher doesn't have an answer that he could reasonably be expected to have, or he seeks to avoid the logical follow-on.
    He's very good alright. I particularly liked the "Not that I'm suggesting that might be your intention" bit before his spiel, subtle Tony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Ace2007 wrote: »
    But then why not go and bet against the market and make yourself a fortune from it?

It's like those saying they knew the crash was coming in 2008/2009 - it's easy to say a recession is coming, but to know when it's coming and how bad it's going to get is different.

All you posters are the same and I put it to someone two days ago - to name the 5 things you would do going forward and they refused to do it - because it they name them, and they are wrong - people will use it against them.

So I say to you Frank - 5 distinct things that should happen now going forward to help improve the situation.

1. Ground flights
    2. Ban public transport
    3. Nursing home staff in full hazmats
    4. Random temperature checks of people everywhere
    5. Gardai informed of address of those who test positive and should be in self isolation. If found not to be at that address huge fine
    6. Fines for those who break the 2km rule or socialising rules for no good reason.

That's 6.

Can you suggest 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

is_that_so wrote: »

It's still March. He also said it again days later.

I think they've been handling this quite well ever since they did a massive u-turn. But we're still paying for those wasted first weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,532 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Its a tax and NCT check, the have new anpr number plate reading cameras, they dont need to stop and check the windscreen now to check them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,497 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Harris looks wrecked over on twitter.

He always looks wrecked. I used to work in the same building as him a few years ago, I remember the first time I saw him I thought, God he looks wrecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

easypazz wrote: »
    Prince Charles was diagnosed and 7 days later leaves isolation, presumably allclear, so unless you go to hospital I assume most people are declared recovered after 7 days.

I thought it was 14 days isolation no?

I think you dont show sythoms until.day 7 to 10

So.in theory 7 days should be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Only 7 days in the UK.
    Rest of the world say 14 days and 5 days on from when the symptoms disappear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Straight off the plane and hug someone. All on national TV. Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Hippykitten

He always looks wrecked. I used to work in the same building as him a few years ago, I remember the first time I saw him I thought, God he looks wrecked.

I can't get over his age (33). He is really working very hard to be fair to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Maestro85

Question for you all. What if it comes back harder and more resistant to treatment again (be it in winter or next year or even 3 years from now)? How are we going to change as a nation or EU to deal with these events?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Pile of backpacking gobshoites swanning back into Dublin airport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

This lack of testing really has become a serious problem.

My wife is a health care worker and was called by her manager to say that one of her clients has tested positive. He told her there was no need for her to get tested as she isn't showing symptoms. A number of home help workers also had contact with this client. They all are to continue working as normal. Work, I might add, she has been carrying out without PPE, including hand sanitiser. She finished the 100ml bottle they gave her last week.

So, my wife who:

has had contact with a confirmed case
    is a health care worker
    has a spouse (me) at home with cancer

is not eligible for testing?

She called the number for HSE staff who said the same, no symptoms - no test. They gave her a local staff number. They said the same but to contact her GP. Eh, right.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    No, you are wrong. 10:50 in the following video. Journalist bottled it. "Total number that have gone into ICU".

Yes I watched it. What did you not understand ?

84. Yes that may have increased Holohan says.

Do you think they just go in for 24 hours and are released back somewhere else. There are currently 84 in ICU BEDS. There were 88 at the weekend.

The totals for ICU are the numbers in ICU at anyone time as a result of Covid19. These are the serious cases, Brian.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement