Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

?

Is this a Fr Ted reference as in

'Fr jack loves brick' ?

Its a reference to Anchorman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

For what it's worth, an interview that The Sun published that Sean O'Rourke had on, might be of interest to those shopping...

Coronavirus Ireland: Expert on risk of catching virus while shopping in the supermarket

Kim Roberts, a lecturer at Trinity College Dublin, said that there is a risk of picking up Covid-19 at the shops but that risk is low.

Speaking to Sean O'Rourke on RTE Radio One, the assistant professor said that the biggest risk is what you are touching inside the shops.

Ms Roberts said: "The biggest risk is in the actual activity of doing your shopping, so if you are travelling on public transport it's about trying to maintain the two metre social distance from everyone else.

"If you are walking around the corner then obviously the risk is lower. When you go into the shop, when you touch the doors, freezers trolleys, those are all high touch surfaces that lot's of people would have touched so there's a risk there.

"So when I go out shopping, I assume as soon as I leave my house that my hands are dirty, so I wash my hands before I leave, so I go out the door assuming my hands are dirty and don't touch my face and touch as little surfaces as possible.

"If I assume my hands are dirty I am less likely to touch my face, my eyes, my nose and am therefore reducing my transmission risk.

"When you are in the shop the chances of a particular tin can you are picking up or a pack of cornflakes having a high enough amount of virus on them to cause a transmission is really low.

"Those individual shopping items are not seen as high risk.

"Everything we do has a risk. Somebody might have directly sneezed onto that tin can but that is unlikely to have happened."

The Trinity lecturer believes that wearing gloves do little to protect people and in some cases increase the risk of transmission.

She added: "Gloves can actually increase transmission risk. If we are touching stuff with gloves it is the exact same risk as without them on our hands.

"It gives us a false sense of security and people take higher risks."

Once you arrive home with the groceries, Ms Roberts doesn't think it's necessary to do a deep clean of items.

The Trinity lecturer said: "When you come back into the house wash you hands straight away, I would then put the shopping away immediately.

"Then I'd wash my hands again.

"I wouldn't(wash down the tins and food) because I personally believe that the chances someone sneezed or coughed on them is very low.

"But when I'm cooking I would wash my hands repeatedly.

"The virus isn't destroyed by cold temperatures, so putting it in the fridge or freezer won't kill it, but cooking will.

"The virus can theoretically survive on cardboard for up to 24 hours but that is very high dosages, normally it would be just a few hours."

I disagree with him about gloves. I notice that when I'm wearing them, I never go to scratch or touch my face, but I'm tempted to do it when they're not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

elperello wrote: »
    Yes.

Free to post.

Just takes a couple of minutes and you could make a difference to someone who is finding the isolation difficult.

Thanks. Will certainly be using them.

Actually I got a letter in the post the other day from a girl I used work with wishing me well during this. It meant so so much to me. I would love if letter writing made a comeback. I havent written a letter or received one for years in years but that letter just touched my heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why should they post 5 just because you want it?

You post the same stuff here over and over again.

Going on and on about flights but they're not the problem now.

Nursing care staff in Hazmat suits. Are you crazy? Do you realise that it's impossible for staff to work in nursing homes in them and never mind the effect on their clients.
    Also, where would the suits come from?

Temperatures of people on the street would show nothing and then what do you do if they have a temperature? Enforce emergency legislation and arrest them.

It's in the community.

But you know what look at the numbers, it appears that the ideas that the government brought in under advice from CMO and HSE are working.

Numbers are nowhere near forecast and not at the levels that you or other posters are saying. You're probably disappointed you can't crow on about how "I predicted at Christmas there'd be 20,000 cases at the end of March".

He asked me for 5 points, I gave them to him. If I didn't he'd complain. Can't win with some people!

Nursing homes are an obvious source of deaths. We need to throw everything at protecting the patients.

These are obvious points. If you don't adhere to strict protocols in nursing homes you bring in covid 19 and cause a large number of clusters in them.

Obvious.

The CMO said lift the ban on visitors to nursing homes. You think that was advisible?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Heiser wrote: »
    My partner is a Healthcare Assistant and is now working on wards with positive cases.

I'm now really nervous about her getting it. She was given no training on how to put the PPE on properly and was only given a surgical mask to wear yesterday (although she was working in an area with people waiting to get tested, rather than purely with positive cases like today). All this for 16 quid an hour.

I have to say I'm really nervous for her and I'm also very nervous for my health, I have bad asthma.

I think I might have to isolate away from her from now, but this could go on for months. Are there any other partners of healthcare workers on here?
    How are you approaching your living arrangements? Is it carry on as normal or are you isolating away from your partners?

I suppose I should be isolating but practically can this be done for months on end when your living in the same apartment?

My own wife works in healthcare and she's the one who first brought this virus to my attention back in early January. She isn't working with Covid19 patients at present and i had to source PPE gear online for her back in Febuary as her facilty isn't supplying her with any PPE at all.

It's a hard call to isolate from a loved one you live with but as she's working with confirmed cases and given your own health issue i'd be thinking it's the only call for you at this point.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Considering how much people love to take a pop at the US healthcare system, their detection level and death rate is more impressive than many places with 'free' healthcare.

Early days for the US. Their growth rate in certain areas is extremely fast, and is probably gonna overwhelm in some areas. New York State if a country would be 5th highest cases in the World and its population is only 20 million.

That said, they have a lot of critical care capacity and a fairly young population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Heiser wrote: »
    My partner is a Healthcare Assistant and is now working on wards with positive cases.

I'm now really nervous about her getting it. She was given no training on how to put the PPE on properly and was only given a surgical mask to wear yesterday (although she was working in an area with people waiting to get tested, rather than purely with positive cases like today). All this for 16 quid an hour.

I have to say I'm really nervous for her and I'm also very nervous for my health, I have bad asthma.

I think I might have to isolate away from her from now, but this could go on for months. Are there any other partners of healthcare workers on here?
    How are you approaching your living arrangements? Is it carry on as normal or are you isolating away from your partners?

I suppose I should be isolating but practically can this be done for months on end when your living in the same apartment?
    In the same boat, pretty much.

See my post here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113005120&postcount=1702

For the past few days we've been sleeping separately and trying to avoid each other as much as possible. From today, when she was informed of her client's positive test, she will be staying in her room except when working.

It's really very hard. No matter how careful we try to be we are continually finding situations where infection could be passed. Sorry, I don't mean to be overly negative, it just seems inevitable to us that infection will pass through the household.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Strazdas wrote: »
    I disagree with him about gloves. I notice that when I'm wearing them, I never go to scratch or touch my face, but I'm tempted to do it when they're not on.

Ya I agree. I also bin the gloves before I get back into the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭dougm1970

i'm hearing former irish heavyweight boxing champion coleman barrett is in icu with the virus...he can't be too old...hardly be 40...galway man.

@walshb ...you'd know of him well, right ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,637 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Thanks. Will certainly be using them.

Actually I got a letter in the post the other day from a girl I used work with wishing me well during this. It meant so so much to me. I would love if letter writing made a comeback. I havent written a letter or received one for years in years but that letter just touched my heart.

#reachout :)

Even a short note or a text to someone you know will be welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Tandey

walshb wrote: »
    Claire Byrne in her shed again?

What is with these self-important pretentious attention seeking nobodies...

Get the fook off the stage!!!

Jeez relax man, she’s just a presenter of current affairs.

So I can understand why she isn’t talking about Arnold Schwarzenegger and his maid because that was in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Achasanai wrote: »
    The problem is that nobody knows where he's got the figure of four nurses dead from COVID19.

Well, I have an idea, that he's getting them out of his arse, but it's all conjecture.

Either he knows something or has taken a punt after looking at 500 healthcare workers have contracted the virus and general fatality rates for the working age demographic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,561 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

walshb wrote: »
    Claire Byrne in her shed again?

What is with these self-important pretentious attention seeking nobodies...

Get the fook off the stage!!!

Attention seeking?

She's presenting her own show?

I think it's good that she's done this, and drives home the message of self isolation and the impact of the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Looking for a sticky for current guidelines. Any link please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

fin12 wrote: »
    Ya I agree. I also bin the gloves before I get back into the car.

Useful tip:- if you don’t have disposable gloves, use those small freezer bags/sandwich bags that you can buy as a roll of 50 or 100. Just put your hand into them and wear them as mittens.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

Does anybody have a link for the age group distributions for infected patients in Ireland ? I remember finding it online but can’t seem to locate it now. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

BanditLuke wrote: »
    My own wife works in healthcare and she's the one who first brought this virus to my attention back in early January. She isn't working with Covid19 patients at present and i had to source PPE gear online for her back in Febuary as her facilty isn't supplying her with any PPE at all.

It's a hard call to isolate from a loved one you live with but as she's working with confirmed cases and given your own health issue i'd be thinking it's the only call for you at this point.

I'm in the same boat. Partner is a nurse. I just accepted that if she gets it I get it. We have kids but we know they'll be ok and we are healthy so chances are we will be ok. So we've been keeping ourselves away from extended family. Haven't seen any of them for over 2 weeks. If it hits our house we know we haven't exposed anyone else. Its hard but I'm happy knowing that she'll continue to work and do her job and I've told her not to feel guilty if I get it.

These are obvious points. If you don't adhere to strict protocols in nursing homes you bring in covid 19 and cause a large number of clusters in them.

Obvious.

The CMO said lift the ban on visitors to nursing homes. You think that was advisible?

Visiting to nursing homes was ended when schools were closed 2 and a half weeks ago. The clusters have only been developing in past few days. Given the average time to hospitalisation for older patients is 5/6 days, then it's overwhelmingly likely that the infections took place well after the ban on visitors.

I'd go as far as saying it's essentially impossible these current infections happened 3 weeks ago and are only leading to hospitalisation now. It's much more likely it has been caused by nursing home staff, supply deliveries etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I was just thinking about the longer term, post initial lockdown, as I'm working from home ( whihc is normal practice in my company for 2/3 days a week). Given the risks of everyone going straight back to work and possibly restarting infection spreading, that the government should mandate that ompanies who can effectively have remote working, should continue that for much longer.

Many jobs do require being in a work location, but there's no excuse for those where it can be done just as much at home. Social distancing will need to become the norm for a long time to come but I tink it's something we can easily get used to.

• Advertisement

Looking at the death total in the US just under 3000 thus far and comparing it to our own total of 54. Per capita we are at this present time in a worse position than the US with that total which is a worry.

saabsaab wrote: »
    ?

Is this a Fr Ted reference as in

'Fr jack loves brick' ?

The lamp fell while she was talking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Looking at the death total in the US just under 3000 thus far and comparing it to our own total of 54. Per capita we are at this present time in a worse position than the US with that total which is a worry.

I'd rather be here than there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,782 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So Boris Johnson now given the all clear just a few days days after testing positive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,561 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

He asked me for 5 points, I gave them to him. If I didn't he'd complain. Can't win with some people!

Nursing homes are an obvious source of deaths. We need to throw everything at protecting the patients.

Obvious.

You gave your 5 points but doesn't mean you can demand 5 of them as the poster was not claiming to have ideas like you were.

Hazmat suits in all nursing homes is a total non-runner and not one country in the world could do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

YFlyer wrote: »
    Looking for a sticky for current guidelines. Any link please?

Here you go :

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cf9b0d-new-public-health-measures-effective-now-to-prevent-further-spread-o/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. Partner is a nurse. I just accepted that if she gets it I get it. We have kids but we know they'll be ok and we are healthy so chances are we will be ok. So we've been keeping ourselves away from extended family. Haven't seen any of them for over 2 weeks. If it hits our house we know we haven't exposed anyone else. Its tough but I'm happy knowing that she'll continue to work and do her job and I've told her not to feel guilty if I get it.

How do you know kids will be okay?
    There is still risk there.
    If there is more than one nurse after dying , it's seriously troubling. It's crap time while most complain about being stuck inside , lot more dealing with harder problems.

I'd rather be here than there.

Big time

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Heiser

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. Partner is a nurse. I just accepted that if she gets it I get it. We have kids but we know they'll be ok and we are healthy so chances are we will be ok. So we've been keeping ourselves away from extended family. Haven't seen any of them for over 2 weeks. If it hits our house we know we haven't exposed anyone else. Its tough but I'm happy knowing that she'll continue to work and do her job and I've told her not to feel guilty if I get it.

Ye there's a part of me thinking theres probably no way to isolate away from her as we live together. Its the asthma that really worries me. And this talk of the virus damaging the lungs, mine are already in a bad way.

I also work for another essential service in an office environment. I'm worried if I get it I could spread it before I get symptoms.

Alex Gorsky CEO Johnson & Johnson said they're confident of rolling out a vaccine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,701 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Been hearing ads all day on the radio from https://www.covidresponsejobs.com/

Signed up - may be handy for anyone looking for some short term work while their jobs are on hold and don't fit the criteria for the HSE jobs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Christ am I seeing right that the Us have now gone from 8000 cases two weeks ago to just shy of 160000 today?

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    Does anybody have a link for the age group distributions for infected patients in Ireland ? I remember finding it online but can’t seem to locate it now. Thanks

All here
    https://www.gov.ie/en/news/7e0924-latest-updates-on-covid-19-coronavirus/

If you want fancy colours then
    https://coronavirus-ireland.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Hopkins - 777k cases , 37k deaths
    https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Looks like we’re going to hit 1 million cases some time tommorow probably.

We won't. We're up 58,000 today. The highest jump has been 66,000 on Friday. We won't top a million for 4 days or so.

TBH the maths on here is annoying the fcuk out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

We really need to increase the capacity of home deliveries from super markets. Most supermarkets seem to have about 12 deliveries a day. It needs to be more in the region of 80-100 each.

Also we should drop the idea of the delivery person doing anything other than dropping the goods at the door. There shouldn't be any interaction with the delivery person. That's just common sense.

Stheno wrote: »
    Christ am I seeing right that the Us have now gone from 8000 cases two weeks ago to just shy of 160000 today?

They're adding 20,000 a day at the moment and their testing levels are miles behind. They have some big issues.

More concerning though is at a regional level. Particularly New York right now, but others will have problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭AllForIt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgYxy3Py6V0

Indian under the spotlight for disinfecting ppl like cattle.

India is such an odd country. It will always be like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Stheno wrote: »

Tip of a very deep ice berg too. Situation is bleak.

Strazdas wrote: »

Thanks. I was looking for the size of social distancing group allowed for people from different residents. Initially it was 4 with each 2 metres apart.

Now 2 people or zero person?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

We really need to increase the capacity of home deliveries from super markets. Most supermarkets seem to have about 12 deliveries a day. It needs to be more in the region of 80-100 each.

Also we should drop the idea of the delivery person doing anything other than dropping the goods at the door. There shouldn't be any interaction with the delivery person. That's just common sense.

That would be great. In fairness to the supermarkets i think they're doing well. Was in lidl this evening. They were only letting one person per group in. So for example if a couple came to the door they only let one in. They were also limiting the amount of people in the building. Inside the door was a hand sanitiser and the aisles was a one way system. Checkouts had social distancing markers too. They're doing the best they can, fair play to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,896 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

We really need to increase the capacity of home deliveries from super markets.

Can't see this happening quickly enough to make a difference...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

So every supermarket needs to find and train 6/7 new drivers and get the same amount of vans on the road, that's hardly feasible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

That would be great. In fairness to the supermarkets i think they're doing well. Was in lidl this evening. They were only letting one person per group in. So for example if a couple came to the door they only let one in. They were also limiting the amount of people in the building. Inside the door was a hand sanitiser and the aisles was a one way system. Checkouts had social distancing markers too. They're doing the best they can, fair play to them.

My friend got an order from Tesco today and the delivery guy said that they are up the walls cos they serve Cork as well as part of Limerick and Waterford too and they only have 7 delivery trucks. I suppose they didn’t have near the demand for home delivery until now...

Barrel of Egyptian oil down to $10. Don't know if at similar API to West Texas or Brent.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

My biggest fear is that people will see the numbers being reported as being low and will become complacent . Please everyone stay safe and adhere to what will save so many lives x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I don't understand why my local Aldi closed 2 hours before they usually do. Surely it's better to stay open as long as possible to increase social distancing. Went down at 20:05 to find they must have shut at 8. Now I'm going to have to tomorrow when I could have gone when it was less crowded in the late evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I am correct, it is you who hasn’t a breeze.

The numbers are clearly cumulative how else are they giving percentages if they total number who need hospitalisation and then giving the percentage of that who needed icu and that’s 84 as of today.

84 is the total number since day 1 who have passed though ICU up to Saturday night simple as that.

You like most reporters etc are either not understanding or purposely misrepresenting the figures.

And you are still posting.

Oh they are cumulative, infact the numbers have been accumulating, since day 1. They are live beds taken up at any one time. And they don't turn around quickly. Right now its 84 being cared for. It is the one figure that concentrates the mind, because when we breach the ICU capacity we are in trouble, the system is overwhelmed and there will be decisions about who gets critical care.

And I quoted the numbers to you and how they have accumulated. They went up as high as 88 yesterday. 88 people in ICU being treated for a critical condition. Then they went down to 84. Why was that ? 10 people died, and more were admitted to ICU.

I'm not explaining it to you again, because if you didn't get it the 5th time I explained it you, you should go back and study very basic maths. I suggest primary school level.

Hospitalisation ? You see there's another can of worms you don't understand either.

When people are hospitalised for Covid19, it was done for observation and isolation in mild cases. Some of these may have deteriorated and then ended up in ICU. However, there are also patients who haven't even been tested showing up in a bad day having followed the governments advice to self isolate and contact a GP if showing symptoms to get a test. Some have waited so long, the test became irrelevant and are now presenting in a bad way directly at ICU's, because they cannot breathe.

That's why the ICU numbers shot up from 17 to 47 almost tripled between 20th and 24th March.

YOU ARE W R O N G.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

john_doe. wrote: »
    How do you know kids will be okay?
    There is still risk there.
    If there is more than one nurse after dying , it's seriously troubling. It's crap time while most complain about being stuck inside , lot more dealing with harder problems.

Look I am a logical person, it's how I think. I only work on facts. Sometimes that goes against me because it makes me seem cold. But I do worry if I feel it's worth worrying about. Kids really dont fair out badly with this. I've read the information and analysed it. Yeah sure there is always risk but its negligible. I would be more concerned about her, a lot of healthcare workers have come down badly with this, research isn't extensive but it seems that It could be because they are exposed to higher viral loads for extended period of time. But at the end of the day we know the risks but this thing is going to be around for a while. I'm not willing to separate myself from her long term so we just accept that it is what it is.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Thanks. I was looking for the size of social distancing group allowed for people from different residents. Initially it was 4 with each 2 metres apart.

Now 2 people or zero person?

Guidelines are one person out (with children if you have them out for exercise only) and stay 2 meters apart from anyone else

Saying that there was a a family with 3 kids in my local Tesco earlier - dunno why supermarkets are still letting kids in to the store when it's obvious there is no need for both mammy and daddy to be doing the shopping. (won't mention their ethnicity)

My biggest fear is that people will see the numbers being reported as being low and will become complacent . Please everyone stay safe and adhere to what will save so many lives x

Professor on Claire Byrne said not only does it affect the lungs, it also affect other vital organs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Was told today of an old lady who's NCT was out and they were going to seize the car off her. She broke down crying as she was going to care for her elderly sister.

Now I have been very Impressed by the Gardai and other public servants in their approach to all this . I really hope they use common sense and do not lose goodwill and the respect of the normal people who are affected in all of this.

This is happening in the UK. The message from our new Commissioner about letters from employers & 2 forms of id was over the top

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-police-turning-parts-of-uk-into-dystopia-after-prosecuting-people-driving-due-to-boredom-and-shoppers-11965903

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement