Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

AllForIt wrote: »
    I don't understand why my local Aldi closed 2 hours before they usually do. Surely it's better to stay open as long as possible to increase social distancing. Went down at 20:05 to find they must have shut at 8. Now I'm going to have to tomorrow when I could have gone when it was less crowded in the late evening.

You could have just checked the opening times beforehand. I think they are closing earlier so as to allow extra time for the staff to ensure the stores are stocked and cleaned. Talking to the cashier in Lidl this evening and he said it's been incredibly busy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

New York State has a population of 19.5 million, about 4 times the size of Ireland. The only places with more confirmed cases than NY are Italy, Spain, China and the US. Growth rate in the those other countries are slowing, but NY is still growing fast.

If you scale to the population of Ireland. You'd have 16,000 cases and adding 1,455 per day. I.e. they're about 5 times worse off than Ireland in case numbers. Number of deaths they're actually fairly similar right now per capita.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I don't understand why my local Aldi closed 2 hours before they usually do. Surely it's better to stay open as long as possible to increase social distancing. Went down at 20:05 to find they must have shut at 8. Now I'm going to have to tomorrow when I could have gone when it was less crowded in the late evening.

Jesus you poor thing.

Real, human tragedy like this often gets lost in the shuffle. We're all here for you. Stay strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Poorside wrote: »
    So every supermarket needs to find and train 6/7 new drivers and get the same amount of vans on the road, that's hardly feasible

No that bit is the easy bit.

There's plenty of van drivers and vans out of work at the moment. It is other logistics that I imagine might be more difficult.

Seeing that supermarkets and hospitals are the only major centers of congregation at the moment, this would be quite beneficial though.
    D.Q wrote: »
    Jesus you poor thing.

Real, human tragedy like this often gets lost in the shuffle. We're all here for you. Stay strong.

Eh. I'd say that he's not really complaining about the inconvenience but rather the prospect of potentially putting himself in harm's way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

fritzelly wrote: »
    Guidelines are one person out (with children if you have them out for exercise only) and stay 2 meters apart from anyone else

Saying that there was a a family with 3 kids in my local Tesco earlier - dunno why supermarkets are still letting kids in to the store when it's obvious there is no need for both mammy and daddy to be doing the shopping. (won't mention their ethnicity)

Thanks. Sorry I probably phrase my question wrong.

Can you meet others outside at social distancing for a chat? It was initially 4 people. Is it less now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Amirani wrote: »
    Visiting to nursing homes was ended when schools were closed 2 and a half weeks ago. The clusters have only been developing in past few days. Given the average time to hospitalisation for older patients is 5/6 days, then it's overwhelmingly likely that the infections took place well after the ban on visitors.

I'd go as far as saying it's essentially impossible these current infections happened 3 weeks ago and are only leading to hospitalisation now. It's much more likely it has been caused by nursing home staff, supply deliveries etc.

I agree its likely staff. They need to be given all the PPE, training and advice possible. Just as much heroes as nurses and doctors in my eyes and they also deserve support, free food, etc. Their role will be critical in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Poorside wrote: »
    So every supermarket needs to find and train 6/7 new drivers and get the same amount of vans on the road, that's hardly feasible

The SuperValu near my parents are taking phone orders and using underemployed taxi drivers to deliver.

Up to now they had no form of online ordering or delivery.

Win all round, no doubt the taxi driver is happy to have some work, my parents who before now never used online shopping are delighted and the shop reduces footfall while growing sales.

Why wouldn't this work everywhere?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

101 year old Italian man who beat the spanish influenzas has been released from hospital after beating off the corona virus.

Some good news for ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,637 ✭✭✭✭elperello

leahyl wrote: »
    My friend got an order from Tesco today and the delivery guy said that they are up the walls cos they serve Cork as well as part of Limerick and Waterford too and they only have 7 delivery trucks. I suppose they didn’t have near the demand for home delivery until now...

Volunteer personal shoppers might work.

It would be easy to collect one other persons shopping when you do your own.

I saw a woman doing it today. She packed two fairly large shops on her own and paid separately. Bit of a delay but nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

murpho999 wrote: »
    Simon Coveny just confirmed that 5,000 tests a day are being done and is increasing.
    That's the highest per head of population rate in Europe.

I don't get the panic over knowing the number of cases. It can never be accurate without 100% daily testing of the populatoin.
    I think deaths and ICU numbers say more.

5000? Afaik that's a target figure and not what's happening on the ground atm

And if tests are not being analysed in a relevant time period we may as well be pissing in the wind.

"Panic" over knowing the number of cases"?

Who mentioned 'panic' except yourself btw?.

If we dont have realible figures then those daily briefings on those infected are little better than useless.

It was the WHO who detailed that accurate numbers were essential in controlling spread and transmission. Perhap take issue up with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,701 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

YFlyer wrote: »
    Thanks. Sorry I probably phrase my question wrong.

Can you meet others outside at social distancing for a chat? It was initially 4 people. Is it less now?

No meeting anyone even if at 2 meters apart - go out for brief exercise, do shopping/chemist/banking/medical stuff or to assist elderly relative with such things but not popping round for a cup of tea

There is no social stuff any more period

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭AllForIt

D.Q wrote: »
    Jesus you poor thing.

:rolleyes:

I wasn't complaining about being inconvienced, I was just asking about the logic of it.

STB. wrote: »
    And you are still posting.

Oh they are cumulative, infact the numbers have been accumulating, since day 1. They are live beds taken up at anyone time. Right now its 84. It is the one figure that concentrates the mind, because when we breach the ICU capacity.

And I quoted the numbers to you and how they have accumulated. They went up as high as 88 yesterday. 88 people in ICU being treated for a critical condition. Then they went down to 84. Why was that ? 10 people died, and more were admitted to ICU.

I'm not explaining it to you again, because if you didn't get it the 5th time I explained it you, you should go back and study very basic maths. I suggest primary school level.

Hospitalisation ? You see there's another can of worms you don't understand either.

When people are hospitalised for Covid19, it was done for observation and isolation in mild cases. Some of these may have deteriorated and then ended up in ICU. However, there are also patients who haven't even been tested showing up in a bad day having followed the governments advice to self isolate and contact a GP if showing symptoms to get a test. Some have waited so long, the test became irrelevant and are now presenting in a bad way directly at ICU's, because they cannot breathe.

That's why the ICU numbers shot up from 17 to 47 almost tripled between 20th and 24th March.

YOU ARE W R O N G.

The 88 figure is not official so can’t be trusted.

Here is how the figures were officially worded today

645 cases (26%) have been hospitalised
    of those hospitalised, 84 cases have been admitted to ICU

So of the total number it cases since day one there has been 645 cases hospitalised and of the 645 hospitalised cases 84 have been admitted to ICU. This means that as of Saturday night since the start of the outbreak 84 people have at some point been in ICU. There is simply no way you can deny or claim otherwise the figures are there clear as day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Turtwig wrote: »
    Tip of a very deep ice berg too. Situation is bleak.

I think the situation in the US may not not get as bad as people think. The do have a large population but they are far more spread out than in other countries. Outside of New York and a handful of medium sized cities most Americans live in suburbia. They mostly get around by private car and generally would be more socially distanced than Europeans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Stheno wrote: »
    Christ am I seeing right that the Us have now gone from 8000 cases two weeks ago to just shy of 160000 today?

Trump did fcuk all to steer the ship away from the iceberg.

Gods Gift wrote: »
    101 year old Italian man who beat the spanish influenzas has been released from hospital after beating off the corona virus.

Some good news for ye.

Great news and something the "they'd be dead in a couple of months anyway" cohort should take note of.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

gozunda wrote: »

And if tests are not being analysed in a relevant time period we may as well be pissing in the wind.

5000 is the number of completed tests per day that we averaged at the end of last week (I'd expect a lower number today due to testing agent shortages). We take more swabs than this though, hence why there are some awaiting analysis.

The target is actually for 15000 per day, but that could be a while away yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Gods Gift wrote: »

Well if that’s what it takes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,782 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think quite a few shops and supermarkets are closing earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Strazdas wrote: »
    An awful lot : people being killed in their own homes by family members

There's going to be another one here in a minute if she doesn't give me back the vuckin remote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

No that bit is the easy bit.

There's plenty of van drivers and vans out of work at the moment. It is other logistics that I imagine might be more difficult.

Might need to be a refrigerated or temp-controlled van?
    At the least it would have to be cleaned to a high standard before first use, can't have a van that has been used for ferrying building materials from site to site suddenly be carrying fruit and soap.

So probably not as straightforward a process as we might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭boardise

Since this is a busy thread I'll chance this request .
    Does anyone know why it's almost impossible to get grapefruit ? I didn't think it was rated among the more popular fruits yet my local Tesco is constantly out of it .
    Do people think it wards off the dreaded virus (lol) or what's the story ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

YFlyer wrote: »
    Professor on Claire Byrne said not only does it affect the lungs, it also affect other vital organs.

I saw that and I'm alarmed. So far we've been told this virus effects the lungs and we will have respiratory illness and now we're told this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Along with the drop in Italy’s cases today to ~4,000, their recoveries “surged” to 1,590, the highest yet. If things keep going that way they’ll hopefully soon see more recoveries per day than new cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I think the situation in the US may not not get as bad as people think. The do have a large population but they are far more spread out than in other countries. Outside of New York and a handful of medium sized cities most Americans live in suburbia. They mostly get around by private car and generally would be more socially distanced than Europeans.

Ebola rapidly spread between rural villages in Africa. This virus is way more transmissible. The U.S. is facing multiple natural disasters in multiple regions at once with State's competing against one another for vital resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

:rolleyes:

I wasn't complaining about being inconvienced, I was just asking about the logic of it.

Here supermarkets are closing earlier to restock and to clean. A lot used to be 24 hours, now they close at 8. Probably the same logic in ireland too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

boardise wrote: »
    Does anyone know why it's almost impossible to get grapefruit ? I didn't think it was rated among the more popular fruits yet my local Tesco is constantly out of it .

In India they were running around drinking cow piss because it cures Covid19, and now there's no cow piss to be found in any supermarket in Ireland - with the possible exception of Leitrim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,561 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

gozunda wrote: »

"Panic" over knowing the number of cases"?

Who mentioned 'panic' except yourself btw?.

If we dont have realible figures then those daily briefings on those infected are little better than useless.

It was the WHO who detailed that accurate numbers were essential in controlling spread and transmission. Perhap take issue up with them.

No 5,000 was said as an actual number not a target and they aim to increase it.

Start of last week they were at 2,000 per day and said it would be up to 5000, soon, which they have now reached and they aim to get to 15,000 a day.

It's a good level of testing.

"Panic" is just a figure of speech and no need to read much into it.

I never said the numbers what not reliable I'm just saying that there's probably too much focus on the number of cases , and too many trying to discredit them here.
    I'm not saying the number of cases number is not important but the rates of death and ICU admissions are vital and probably show the more important trends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Genghis wrote: »
    The SuperValu near my parents are taking phone orders and using underemployed taxi drivers to deliver.

Up to now they had no form of online ordering or delivery.

Win all round, no doubt the taxi driver is happy to have some work, my parents who before now never used online shopping are delighted and the shop reduces footfall while growing sales.

Why wouldn't this work everywhere?

Now that's a good work around, no huge outlay and no one to let go when it goes back to some bit of normality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

The 88 figure is not official so can’t be trusted.

Here is how the figures were officially worded today

645 cases (26%) have been hospitalised
    of those hospitalised, 84 cases have been admitted to ICU

So of the total number it cases since day one there has been 645 cases hospitalised and of the 645 hospitalised cases 84 have been admitted to ICU. This means that as of Saturday night since the start of the outbreak 84 people have at some point been in ICU. There is simply no way you can deny or claim otherwise the figures are there clear as day.

That's exactly what it doesn't mean.

It means that 84 people are currently in ICU.

Yesterday there were 88 people with Covid19 in ICU.

The numbers will go up if more people are admitted and down if people die or recover to allow them to recover outside a ICU unit, normally a high dependency unit. A combination of deaths and new admissions will result only in a number reported IN ICU at anyone time. This is a critical measurement stat for ICU capacity.

Now let it go.

The significance of the numbers being reported are to show the pressure our health system is under at X moment in time and to show when we are reaching capacity. Nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Ebola rapidly spread between rural villages in Africa. This virus is way more transmissible. The U.S. is facing multiple natural disasters in multiple regions at once with State's competing against one another for vital resources.

Most of the US is doing ok so far and many have had measures in place for weeks. The places most badly affected so far are the most densely populated. Most of the country isn't like that at all. Hopefully that will help.

My state of just over 3 million people has 1000 cases and 19 deaths. Could be a lot worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Well if that’s what it takes...

You’ve survived 11 covid19 threads. Your good.

boardise wrote: »

A lot of people are at home trying new things. They might be trying Angel's grapefruit technique. You'll have to search that for yourself though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

owlbethere wrote: »
    I saw that and I'm alarmed. So far we've been told this virus effects the lungs and we will have respiratory illness and now we're told this.

It's not news. Known since Feb or earlier. Part of the reason people with heart disease and high blood pressure are at much higher risk is because how much the virus taxes the heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,701 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

STB. wrote: »
    That's exactly what it doesn't mean.

It means that 84 people are currently in ICU.

Yesterday there were 88 people with Covid19 in ICU.

The numbers will go up if more people are admitted and down if people die or recover to allow them to recover outside a unit, normally a high dependency unit.

Now let it go.

The significance of the numbers being reported are to show the pressure our heath system is under at X moment in time and to show when we are reaching capacity. Nothing else.

Every time the Doc is asked the question he never really answers it concretely

Take what Leo said about ICU beds being full within a few days then you would have to assume it is not accumulative but actual occupancy - that's what I am assuming anyway
    A lot of the deaths have been in nursing homes etc - never likely in an ICU and anyone in an ICU is going to take 2-3 weeks to recover if not longer

Just my thoughts

A lot of people are at home trying new things. They might be trying Angel's grapefruit technique. You'll have to search that for yourself though...

A lot here wouldn’t be that flexible.

I’d imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

5000 is the number of completed tests per day that we averaged at the end of last week (I'd expect a lower number today due to testing agent shortages). We take more swabs than this though, hence why there are some awaiting analysis.

Source for the claim that 5000 is s the actual number completed per day? Listening to the briefing today- thats the projected figure - not what's happening on the ground.

Agsin if many of the those tests which are taking place are not being analysed in a relevant time frame- then figures for spread and infection are little better than useless.

We may as well ditch testing if it simply has become a flag waving e exercise of - oooh look at us! - we are best at testing! just forget that timely analysis is not happening and the released figures are not reliable being up to a week behind.

Latest one I've heard is that Marty in the morning on Lyric sends Covid-19 into immediate retreat. It's not the generic classical muzak that does the trick, but Marty yammering on for thirty minutes about "says he/says I back". If exposed for too long, Covid-19 withers away from boredom. I'll inform the WHO, and hopefully clinical research can be conducted without delay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭threeball

If they keep going to these evangelical churches against advice it won't matter how spread out they are. Money hungry pastors promising to pray the virus away. It's a nutty country.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Don’t worry people covid-19 has been cured
    https://mobile.twitter.com/michaeljknowles/status/1244759368190398464

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Its at times like this I wish I had a PHD...

Infectious disease expert says Government should consider closing Irish borders

Dr Paddy Mallon, professor of microbial diseases at UCD and consultant at St Vincent’s Hospital in Dublin acknowledged that community transmission of COVID-19 in Ireland presents a significant problem, but identified the risk of imported infections as a major threat.

"We should be looking seriously over the next week at protecting our borders and stopping new infections coming in because it will give us the ability to control the infections that we have."

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/coronavirus/infectious-disease-expert-says-government-should-consider-closing-irish-borders/ar-BB11U6Cd?ocid=spartanntp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Do you mean by the 5000 per day swabs taken or test processed through the lab?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭JoChervil

You are right. They are naturally distancing. Once a friend from Savannah in Georgia visited me and couldn't buy us drinks because he kept so much distance from others, that people got constantly in front of him in the que

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

So guys. Given today's figures. Can we begin to say that we have flattened the curve? It's highly unlikely given the restrictions that are in place that we will see a significant spike over the coming days or weeks. Is it reasonable to say that it's the measures that were put in place that are the reason for this or given out population is it unlikely that we wouldn't have experienced the growth in other more populated countries anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Every time the Doc is asked the question he never really answers it concretely

Take what Leo said about ICU beds being full within a few days then you would have to assume it is not accumulative but actual occupancy - that's what I am assuming anyway

A lot of the deaths have been in nursing homes etc - never likely in an ICU and anyone in an ICU is going to take 2-3 weeks to recover if not longer

Just my thoughts

It is occupancy at any one time. It's certainly not the amount of people who have passed through from day one as some have died, more have entered ICU.

Some people don't get the reason the ICU numbers are reported in the first instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,782 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

fin12 wrote: »

:eek:

I think cluster locations should be revealed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭JoChervil

owlbethere wrote: »

From the very beginning they were telling about kidneys too. They have the same receptors, which this virus uses to get into cells

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Its at times like this I wish I had a PHD...

Infectious disease expert says Government should consider closing Irish borders

Dr Paddy Mallon, professor of microbial diseases at UCD and consultant at St Vincent’s Hospital in Dublin acknowledged that community transmission of COVID-19 in Ireland presents a significant problem, but identified the risk of imported infections as a major threat.

"We should be looking seriously over the next week at protecting our borders and stopping new infections coming in because it will give us the ability to control the infections that we have."

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/coronavirus/infectious-disease-expert-says-government-should-consider-closing-irish-borders/ar-BB11U6Cd?ocid=spartanntp
    How many times you going to post that ? It was explained enough times to you throughout these threads why boarders could not be closed up until this point.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement