Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

Its at times like this I wish I had a PHD...

Infectious disease expert says Government should consider closing Irish borders

Dr Paddy Mallon, professor of microbial diseases at UCD and consultant at St Vincent’s Hospital in Dublin acknowledged that community transmission of COVID-19 in Ireland presents a significant problem, but identified the risk of imported infections as a major threat.

"We should be looking seriously over the next week at protecting our borders and stopping new infections coming in because it will give us the ability to control the infections that we have."

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/coronavirus/infectious-disease-expert-says-government-should-consider-closing-irish-borders/ar-BB11U6Cd?ocid=spartanntp

An ingenious train of thought that nobody ever encountered before. Collect twelve cereal tokens and you can become a PhD. Call me Dr. John the Night Tripper, in the right place at the right time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    So guys. Given today's figures. Can we begin to say that we have flattened the curve? It's highly unlikely given the restrictions that are in place that we will see a significant spike over the coming days or weeks. Is it reasonable to say that it's the measures that were put in place that are the reason for this or given out population is it unlikely that we wouldn't have experienced the growth in other more populated countries anyway.

The figures are not reliable.

Tests already taken are backlogged waiting for analysis and results for up to 12 days.

Shortages of reagent and other issues were blammed on this in today's briefings.

Looks like we need to ditch the system start again and stop publishing unreliable figures tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    :eek:

I think cluster locations should be revealed

I do as-well. 13 clusters is a lot in the region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Dr Paddy Mallon, professor of microbial diseases at UCD and consultant at St Vincent’s Hospital in Dublin acknowledged that community transmission of COVID-19 in Ireland presents a significant problem, but identified the risk of imported infections as a major threat.

"We should be looking seriously over the next week at protecting our borders and stopping new infections coming in because it will give us the ability to control the infections that we have."

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/coronavirus/infectious-disease-expert-says-government-should-consider-closing-irish-borders/ar-BB11U6Cd?ocid=spartanntp

Coveney dealt with this earlier.

Irish citizens are still getting home and everybody who comes in is required to self isolate.

And with social distancing the spread is much lower now.

Once our numbers start to fall controlling the trickle coming in will be more important.

Test on arrival and quarantine until after results.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

gozunda wrote: »
    The figures are not reliable.

Tests are backlogged waiting for analysis up to 12 days.

Shortages of reagent and other issues were bloomed on this in today's briefings.

So you think nothing can be read from today's figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

threeball wrote: »
    If they keep going to these evangelical churches against advice it won't matter how spread out they are. Money hungry pastors promising to pray the virus away. It's a nutty country.

Yeah a few nutters out of hundreds of millions is not representative of the whole country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,701 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

easypazz wrote: »
    Coveney dealt with this earlier.
    Irish citizens are still getting home and everybody who comes in is required to self isolate.
    And with social distancing the spread is much lower now.
    Once our numbers start to fall controlling the trickle coming in will be more important.
    Test on arrival and quarantine until after results.

VB and several others have been beating the same drum for weeks - no point trying to reason with them by presenting facts, falling on deaf ears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Me hands are fooked! never mind the potential severity of this Virus, my “builder hands” can’t keep this up for much longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Death rates and if they cleared up the criteria for the numbers of how many were in the actual ICU beds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Death rates and if they cleared up the criteria for the numbers of how many were in the actual ICU beds.

But the death rate isn't climbing significantly suggesting that our number of cases isn't rising exponentially.

Listening to today's briefings

Death figures are reliable imo

ICU figures seem to be unclear

Numbers testing positive - no. Too many tests waiting too long to be analysed to give reliable data at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

We can't test enough people at the moment. The kits are incomplete without reagents. 2 days in a row now. Tests centres closed.

He is right though. The UK is a huge threat to importing more contagion, right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Yeah a few nutters out of hundreds of millions is not representative of the whole country

I wonder would they kiss the Pope's ring?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

How many times you going to post that ? It was explained enough times to you throughout these threads why boarders could not be closed up until this point.

It wasn't explained once.

So you agree with the Professor the borders should be closed now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

So guys. Given today's figures. Can we begin to say that we have flattened the curve? It's highly unlikely given the restrictions that are in place that we will see a significant spike over the coming days or weeks. Is it reasonable to say that it's the measures that were put in place that are the reason for this or given out population is it unlikely that we wouldn't have experienced the growth in other more populated countries anyway.

Far too early to tell, we are the very early stage of the curve. Lots of variables at play so too early to see a pattern.

The restrictions will help no doubt but early days for that also as the heavy restrictions only with us since Saturday morning.

Main thing is not to speculate too much that we are doing great which might lead to complacency, we will see soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭threeball

ceadaoin. wrote: »

It only takes a handful of nutters to spread this sh1t like wildfire or perhaps you haven't being paying attention. It's proven that centres like churches were at the root of problems for Spain and France but of course the USA is different.

Considering you posted the exact same text 10 hours ago and the same replies were given, I'd say yes it was explained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

nocoverart wrote: »
    Me hands are fooked! never mind the potential severity of this Virus, my “builder hands” can’t keep this up for much longer.

From furiously typing to keep up with this thread?

Deaths are reliable

ICU figures seem to be unclear

Numbers testing positive - no. Too many tests waiting too long to be analysed to give reliable data at this point.

They are very clear. They are going Up at a very fast rate.

People in ICU tripled over 2 days last week.

Critical that they don't get out of hand quickly as the HSE don't have the ventilator situation sorted, despite the fact they are manufactured here in Ireland, for reasons only they can answer.

easypazz wrote: »
    Coveney dealt with this earlier. Irish citizens are still getting home and everybody who comes in is required to self isolate.
    And with social distancing the spread is much lower now. Once our numbers start to fall controlling the trickle coming in will be more important. Test on arrival and quarantine until after results.

Coveney is a fool. There's little point in asking him NOW why the borders are still open. The Country is fukking riddled.

Why has it taken the media a month and a half to press Coveney on this issue? Does it take a Professor, who's clearly as slow as a Sloth, to mention it for them to decide its worthy of comment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

boardise wrote: »
    Since this is a busy thread I'll chance this request .
    Does anyone know why it's almost impossible to get grapefruit ? I didn't think it was rated among the more popular fruits yet my local Tesco is constantly out of it .
    Do people think it wards off the dreaded virus (lol) or what's the story ?

I imagine supply routes are upset, diverted for ppe etc. Alot of the lorries that bring fruit and vegetables from the continent bring back goods,fish etc from here. I doubt that there is much going the other way at the moment. It's not viable for lorries to go back empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Coyote wrote: »
    it's very dangerous to read too much in to a chart of death per million.
    most of China, Italy and Spain cases were around one or two city's not the countries total numbers.
    also the more we test the more we find that is not a bad thing
    look at the number of cases and death of the uk verses Ireland
    China has about .05 percent but that's because 99% of China was not in the zone of infection

Regards

Coyote
    I agree with the general point about not reading too much in to deaths per million or cases per million. They don't tell you anything about the distribution within those countries.

However the same problem also applies to absolute numbers and these don't take into account the population of the country, which makes comparisons between countries difficult. For example, Iceland has 1,086 cases which does not sound like a lot but but is actually very high as a proportion of the population, worse than most European countries.

Of course, a lot more has to be taken into consideration such as testing criteria, number of tests, delay in giving tests etc.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Considering you posted the exact same text 10 hours ago and the same replies were given, I'd say yes it was explained.

Jeez! Do you spend all day on this thing?!! There were so many posting earlier that 30 secs after I posted it the thread had moved on 3 pages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,561 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Source for the claim that 5000 is s the actual number completed per day? Listening to the briefing today- thats the projected figure - not what's happening on the ground.

Agsin if many of the those tests which are taking place are not being analysed in a relevant time frame- then figures for spread and infection are little better than useless.

We may as well ditch testing if it simply has become a flag waving e exercise of - oooh look at us! - we are best at testing! just forget that timely analysis is not happening and the released figures are not reliable being up to a week behind.

The source is Simon Coveney, An Tanaiste, he said it on Claire Byrne Show tonight.
    Start of last week they were at 2,000 per day and aimed to get to 5,000 quickly and then hit 15,000.

I wish people could provide sources of why they state the testing numbers are lower.
    Do you mean by the 5000 per day swabs taken or test processed through the lab?

No this is all about testing being completed in labs as lab capacity is the issue.
    Taking a swab is not the actual test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

W. Ian Lipkin
    John Snow Professor
    Epidemiology, Professor of Neurology and Pathology and Cell Biology
    Director, Center for Infection and Immunity

He is actually recovering from being infected and said he wouldn't be surprised if half the world's population becomes infected and that he thinks the R0 for the virus is higher than the current 2-3 estimate, meaning it is more infectious than has been assumed.

At the 9:00 mark in the podcast/interview here: http://www.microbe.tv/twiv/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

I reckon we have beaten covid 19 and it will get it ass kicked out of the country in the coming weeks. Pity the Uk didnt do what we did quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

auspicious wrote: »
    I wonder would they kiss the Pope's ring?

Didn't think that was a thing. Can he get in that position? He's an elderly man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,020 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I reckon we have beaten covid 19 and it will get it ass kicked out of the country in the coming weeks. Pity the Uk didnt do what we did quicker.

Hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Not until they can get everyone home , then yes but we have people stranded that we need to get home and nurses / Doctors are trying to get back . The flights in are a red herring they are basically empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,561 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Coveney is a fool. There's little point in asking him NOW why the borders are still open. The Country is fukking riddled.

Why has it taken the media a month and a half to press Coveney on this issue? Does it take a Professor, who's clearly as slow as a Sloth, to mention it for them to decide its worthy of comment?

Everybody in medical or political authority is a food and you think you should have a PHD?

Can you back up your claim of the country being riddled as the numbers dying in ICU care or testing positive just don't back up this claim.

I think countries like UK, Netherlands and the USA are in bigger trouble than what we are.

• Advertisement

fin12 wrote: »

if you read the tralee thread you will probably get the answer to the pub

Not until they can get everyone home , then yes but we have people stranded that we need to get home and nurses / Doctors are trying to get back . The flights in are a red herring they are basically empty.

I totally agree with you there.

But why now? Why has it taken this dosy Professor a month and a half until half the Country is riddled to have this brainwave?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,842 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

D.Q wrote: »
    Jesus you poor thing.

Real, human tragedy like this often gets lost in the shuffle. We're all here for you. Stay strong.
    I said it earlier, I said it numerous times in the OP - remain civil when posting - attack the post, not the poster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,647 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The constant beeping of the machines in the ICU's must be a proper pain in the hole for staff working there, how do they manage a full days worth of it?

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Hopefully

Funny im probably one of the very few who thinks we have it under control but government don't want us getting complacent which can't be a bad thing. I think it will be completely gone in 3-4weeks.

I agree with the general point about not reading too much in to deaths per million or cases per million. They don't tell you anything about the distribution within those countries.

However the same problem also applies to absolute numbers and these don't take into account the population of the country, which makes comparisons between countries difficult. For example, Iceland has 1,086 cases which does not sound like a lot but but is actually very high as a proportion of the population, worse than most European countries.

Of course, a lot more has to be taken into consideration such as testing criteria, number of tests, delay in giving tests etc.

The most important thing THEY DON'T tell you is that each country has different capabilities for dealing with a pandemic and the associated high levels of critical ICU care required (9-11% in Italy).

This is rated in numbers of ICU beds per million. We are one of the lowest rated in Europe.

Italy - 125 per million.

Ireland - 50 per million.

Italy have been triaging from an early stage. Worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

if you read the tralee thread you will probably get the answer to the pub

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭threeball

I reckon we a have beaten covid 19 and it will get it ass kicked out of the country in the coming weeks. Pity the Uk didnt do what we did quicker.

If we move to antibody testing we'll get our answer. We've certainly not beaten it unless we have high infection rates or we isolate the country completely. They're the only games in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

From furiously typing to keep up with this thread?

No, from having genetically sh1tty hands that can’t put up with my extra washing of said hands.

• Advertisement

You can't close the border to Irish citizens, it'd be unconstitutional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

But the death rate isn't climbing significantly suggesting that our number of cases isn't rising exponentially.

A week ago we had 6 deaths. We now have 54. That's fairly exponential.

The next 2 weeks will tell a lot. The numbers, i.e. ICU admissions, look promising but for me it still looks stark for the few weeks ahead.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,842 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

AllForIt wrote: »
    I don't understand why my local Aldi closed 2 hours before they usually do. Surely it's better to stay open as long as possible to increase social distancing. Went down at 20:05 to find they must have shut at 8. Now I'm going to have to tomorrow when I could have gone when it was less crowded in the late evening.
    I've been in the local Tesco and the local Supervalue. These places may be busy early on but by early afternoon I'm finding them with no queues and plenty of space. Social distancing was really not an issue. People picking things up and putting them down was the only irritation

I suspect they are not getting much custom at that time of night and it's better for their staff to cut down the hours a bit. They are continually exposed to others and it must be quite manic early in the mornings

threeball wrote: »
    If we move to antibody testing we'll get our answer. We've certainly not beaten it unless we have high infection rates or we isolate the country completely. They're the only games in town.

Numbers are staying the same. I be quiet confident we will have it sorted in 3-4 weeks. Government have almost done a perfect job.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Everybody in medical or political authority is a food and you think you should have a PHD?
    The PHD comment was sarcasm as in it took the guy a PHD and a month and a half after the virus exploded in Europe and infected the sh1t out of Ireland to decide that maybe the borders should be closed.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    Can you back up your claim of the country being riddled as the numbers dying in ICU care or testing positive just don't back up this claim.
    Again you're missing the point. Weeks after the decision should've been taken and well into the virus getting in amongst our population, an expert in this field says that perhaps we should close the borders!

Don't you get it!!!

Beasty wrote: »
    I've been in the local Tesco and the local Supervalue. These places may be busy early on but by early afternoon I'm finding them with no queues and plenty of space. Social distancing was really not an issue. People picking things up and putting them down was the only irritation

I suspect they are not getting much custom at that time of night and it's better for their staff to cut down the hours a bit. They are continually exposed to others and it must be quite manic early in the mornings

staff are difficult to get, many opting for the two weeks isolating at 350 a week

• Advertisement

Jeez! Do you spend all day on this thing?!! There were so many posting earlier that 30 secs after I posted it the thread had moved on 3 pages!

Nope have a life, but easy to see the posters asking the same questions over and over again despite being given an answer, like your ones about flights. Say hi to gems for me btw.

STB. wrote: »
    They are very clear. They are going Up at a very fast rate.
    People in ICU tripled over 2 days last week.
    Critical that they don't get out of hand quickly as the HSE don't have the ventilator situation sorted, despite the fact they are manufactured here in Ireland, for reasons only they can answer.

Nope. Incorrect and not just my opinion btw.. Take a listen to today's briefing and questions asked by the journalists present. The figures given are far from clear.

Beasty wrote: »

That's why people are in there in the morning :):):)

The PHD comment was sarcasm as in it took the guy a PHD and a month and a half after the virus exploded in Europe and infected the sh1t out of Ireland to decide that maybe the borders should be closed.

Again you're missing the point. Weeks after the decision should've been taken and well into the virus getting in amongst our population, an expert in this field says that perhaps we should close the borders!

Don't you get it!!!
    Have you ever considered that maybe the guy with the PHD knows more about the situation than you do?

You can't close the border to Irish citizens, it'd be unconstitutional.

Nobody's talking about Irish citizens.

Would it have been unconstitutional to close the border to thousands of Italians at the time or would it have been common sense?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement