Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,829 ✭✭✭✭bilston

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Bob24 wrote: »
    It is a good thing for sure, but in a way a bit scary. You can already imagine rules whereby people with a "certificate of immunity" are handed bracelet or a digital certificate on their phone confirming they are allowed in the real world, while others are told to stay at home until the health system is up to speed.
    statto25 wrote: »
    There is but there was a quote from the HSE on Matt Cooper last week saying that its too early for Ireland to be running this test and its something for further down the road. Personally, I think they are 1000s of folks who have had the virus but have been mild affected or not at all and just isolated. Finding these people would be more beneficial in letting the public get back on track. Its also a blood test I believe so not as specific in terms of kit for testing

I think once we managed to get the numbers down (if we do) that then would be the time to consider rolling out the antibody test if we can get enough kits.

For now the focus is on the dangerously ill, and with todays rise in ICU from 84 to 103 that's the correct approach imo? Keep everyone else including the asymptomatics in as much as possible
    Checking temperature would detect the 'open' cases, those who are already shedding virus all over the place. Stopping them at the airport would have saved a lot of heartache and clusters here later.

If you looked closer at Nextstrain you would find that the Netherlands strain of virus infected Northern Italy, and from there back to Ireland.
    Asymptomatic people don't have temperatures

Even Claire Byrne did not have a temperature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Nice video from Piacenza. Worth noting the level of PPE worn. Really hope our men and women fighting this are given the same standard.
    The vast majority of HCW infected did not travel which means either community or more likely in work.

https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri/status/1244936784871555073?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Gardaì in the south came across a COVID-19 positive person who was travelling to post a letter. :(:(

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1244930925080842241

That is one stupid person.

The fear mongering is completely out of order! For example the way that poor woman who was clearly dying was exploited on Claire Byrne last night.
    I don't care if her family gave permission and if she was in hospital and I'm certain she was why did doctors allow this? I always thought there was something called etiquette. I watched it for about 20 seconds and decided I didn't want to be part of this exploitation.

100% and one poster here yesterday "member of the media" said I was full of shyte for pointing this type of thing out, from sections of the media trying to out ghoul each other.. they've no shame..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Have to go collect something from Parcel Motel and never felt so guilty! Unfortunately, ordered it weeks ago and it only arrived now and can't afford to pay 4 euro a day for 2 weeks to leave it there. Didn't think they'd even still be operating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭elperello

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Have to go collect something from Parcel Motel and never felt so guilty! Unfortunately, ordered it weeks ago and it only arrived now and can't afford to pay 4 euro a day for 2 weeks to leave it there. Didn't think they'd even still be operating.

Perhaps you could fit it in with a shopping trip to minimise risk.

BanditLuke wrote: »

Nightmare.

I know it is rare that something like this happens but i don't feel the message of how it can effect the young was strong enough. In my case, I had very mild symptoms, but my 6 year old, went through the ringer before he came out the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

otnomart wrote: »

I would imagine yesterday's results were from a period prior to 27/03 and therefore taken from people who were polysymptomatic .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Akabusi wrote: »
    Nightmare.

I know it is rare that something like this happens but i don't feel the message of how it can effect the young was strong enough. In my case, I had very mild symptoms, but my 6 year old, went through the ringer before he came out the other side.

Did you both test positive?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

leahyl wrote: »
    Aqueous cream is good too - my hands are destroyed as well :(

Try olive oil or a bit of any kind of oil I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Over 37% of those in ICU are aged over 65.

Eh... that's a bit scary.

63% in ICUs in Ireland are under 65?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Hoping to pass crisis stage in 5 months...

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1244930289429876736

From the Guardian live blog
    Ireland has issued guidelines on safe sex during the coronavirus pandemic, writes Rory Carroll in Dublin.

Only be sexually active with someone you live with and who does not have the virus or symptoms of the virus, and avoid kissing anyone outside your household or who has symptoms, say the Health Service Executive guidelines.

“Taking a break from physical and face-to-face interactions is worth considering, especially if you meet your sex partners online or make a living by having sex. Consider using video dates, sexting or chat rooms. Make sure to disinfect keyboards and touch screens that you share with others.”

Masturbation will not spread coronavirus, it adds. “Especially if you wash your hands (and any sex toys) with soap and water for at least 20 seconds before and after.”

When I was a kid you couldn't buy condoms in Ireland. We have changed A LOT

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Did you both test positive?

I was tested on the 20th and received the positive result today. My young lad was not tested, he developed his symptoms last Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Spain allready on 6.4K today and only 1PM, looks like another sharp rise for today ...

I just can't trust any media sources anymore ...

Hoping to pass crisis stage in 5 months...

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1244930289429876736

Fingers crossed for an Indian Summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Gardaì in the south came across a COVID-19 positive person who was travelling to post a letter. :(:(

For all those guidelines of what the person themselves should do is there any support offered by HSE or anyone.

Are they just waiting for the call for an ambulance if they get worse or the neighbours to complain about a smell in a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Roger_007 wrote: »
    The problem is that nobody knows enough about this virus to be able to predict how it’s spreading in the community. The remarkably different scenarios in different countries doesn’t fit neatly into any ‘model’ so far.
    Nobody seems to be able to explain why it’s so much worse in some countries like Italy and Spain. There are so many theories about different countries counting things in different ways that it’s really impossible to compare one country with another.
    But there is no doubting the body count and Spain is certainly in a bad place on that statistic.

You are right that its spread is unpredictable in certain circumstances, but I think for anyone who has been watching this since it broke out in China, there's been shared commonalities to hot spots with the odd exception.

1. Largely urbanised areas who also have busy airline hubs eg London, NYC
    2. Busy public transport such as an underground - eg Tube, Metro.
    3. Failure to lockdown in time and in particular cancel large sporting events - eg Atalanta v Valencia, Cheltenham, Women's day Marches in Spain.
    4. Densely populated cities

Cities like these have had it much worse than other areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

gabeeg wrote: »
    From the Guardian live blog

When I was a kid you couldn't buy condoms in Ireland. We have changed A LOT

Hygienic Masturbation Guide, thanks HSE :)

• Advertisement

Spain allready on 6.4K today and only 1PM, looks like another sharp rise for today ...

I just can't trust any media sources anymore ...

I know how you feel but I think we need to make judgement calls on the information sources we use.

Lack of trust in all media can be the breeding ground for falsehoods and ultimately lead to paranoia.

If a journalist was ethical and trusted before this then they are most likely to be reliable now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Wibbs wrote: »
    Again I'd say it's down to very high density dwellings. A city like Madrid is chock full of high rise apartments. Like I was saying earlier the average Irish road of houses is significantly less risky for community spread than the same number of people in a high rise apartment building. If your neighbour here has the virus you can avoid contact with him and the surfaces they touch without even really trying. If they were living in an apartment on your floor you couldn't. You would have to be far more proactive in protecting yourself. That was seen in the 1918 pandemic. People who lived in suburban and extraurban houses were far less affected than those living in shared city housing.

I wonder if one of the social changes we see in the future is a bigger aversion to apartment living than we already have. Not just because of the higher infection risk in an apartment but also because as this lockdown phase continues, the variation of experience between people in apartments versus people in houses becomes far more obvious. This 'lockdown' experience is going to be completely different for people in apartments, many without even a balcony and people with a garden, especially people with a bigger house and large garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭1641

Inquitus wrote: »
    Hygienic Masturbation Guide, thanks HSE :)

Fair play - you got to hand it to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

josip wrote: »
    What's going to happen now in the Netherlands?
    Their ICUs are effectively full.
    https://www.covid-19.no/netherlands-905-out-of-925-icu-beds-in-use

Are they going to do Italian/Spanish triaging or do they have another plan?
    Weren't they also going the herd route at some stage?
    Are they still?

In today's news:
    "The Netherlands' Outbreak Management Team advised the government to extend current measures to curb the spread of Covid-19 through to end-April or early-May. The team also recommended limiting inland tourism.
    Inland tourism, such as going camping or visiting a local hotel, is currently not forbidden, though mayors have the option of closing campsites."

https://nltimes.nl/2020/03/31/coronavirus-measures-likely-extended-april-inland-tourism-restrictions-possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,685 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It’s all over the british papers this morning (the headline in the guardian). Derbyshire police have been particularly guilty in overreaching their power

Cheers, haven't read any papers today been mostly driving so only have radio news and they never mentioned anything.

Varik wrote: »
    For all those guidelines of what the person themselves should do is there any support offered by HSE or anyone.

Are they just waiting for the call for an ambulance if they get worse or the neighbours to complain about a smell in a few weeks.

There is a lot of community based support out there and AGS won't be found wanting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Just now i was looking at a world chart of the mortality numbers for Covid 19
    The climate must be a big factor, i thought it run riot in Asia where people live in all kinda conditions.
    There are 5 deaths in Thailand, none in Vietnam and none in Cambodia.
    There is also a much higher % mortality in Europe than Africa UK very high.
    It may be because of living conditions stronger immune.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

The climate must be a big factor, i thought it run riot in Asia where people live in all kinda conditions.

IMO It's quite likely a case of a lot of deaths not being particularly well recorded - no records = no deaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Don't shoot the messenger.
    #notpaddy
    #notdoingitforthelikes

https://twitter.com/paddycosgrave/status/1244932180553449476?s=20

I'm not a huge fan of Leo but he's good and somewhat clever. Buttering the Chinese up is the right call for sure so we can get as much out from them as possible. Hopefully the PPE that came in is of good quality. P1ssing the Chinese off now might do is more harm than good just in case they pull back on resources that we will need.

I saw Leo's face when he was sitting beside Trump. I definitely got a hint of disgust from his face when he was sitting beside Trump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Or more likely because those countries don't have the health systems and infrastructure to track and report properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭This is it

Or because there's little testing or deaths attributed to C19 in those countries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭This is it

IMO It's quite likely a case of a lot of deaths not being particularly well recorded - no records = no deaths.
    Ger Roe wrote: »
    Or more likely because those countries don't have the health systems and infrastructure to track and report properly.
    This is it wrote: »
    Or because there's little testing or deaths attributed to C19 in those countries

That'll do it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

A little fall in numbers, that's good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Great, if this is true then these lockdowns will never end till there is a vaccine.

Jesus, this sh1t will never f*cking end ...

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    I wonder if one of the social changes we see in the future is a bigger aversion to apartment living than we already have. Not just because of the higher infection risk in an apartment but also because as this lockdown phase continues, the variation of experience between people in apartments versus people in houses becomes far more obvious. This 'lockdown' experience is going to be completely different for people in apartments, many without even a balcony and people with a garden, especially people with a bigger house and large garden.

It has certainly made me want to accelerate my plan to get a small cottage and put down roots out west, and spend more time away from my Dublin apartment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Amazing how the entire economy has been shot down and sacrificed to "protect us " from something that The vast majority would recover from in a week. We are supposed to believe that the hse and government suddenly started Caring about old people, lol.. Talking to the local postmaster yesterday and he was on the ball, there will be more suicides as a result of this than deaths as a result of contracting the actual virus. Just wait until people realise they have no jobs to go back to.

Great, if this is true then these lockdowns will never end till there is a vaccine.

Jesus, this sh1t will never f*cking end ...

I don't think that they will anyway, irrespective of the transmission method. We will probably have a slight release of restrictions to allow businesses to operate when we have ICU capacity, and then another tightening of them as the curve starts to steepen, and then another relaxation etc. And this could go on for months and months until a vaccine, or evidence that a substantial proportion of the population has had COVID-19 and been asymptomatic

It will play havoc with schools and travel

Can't understand the extreme tight restrictions on funerals. If workplaces and supermarkets can manage to spread out crowds of people into acceptable distances, why can't the same be done in a large church or graveyard???

No unfortunately it's probably down to a lack of testing.

The virus is currently rife in many warm climates.

• Advertisement

Amazing how the entire economy has been shot down and sacrificed to "protect us " from something that The vast majority would recover from in a week. We are supposed to believe that the hse and government suddenly started Caring about old people, lol.. Talking to the local postmaster yesterday and he was on the ball, there will be more suicides as a result of this than deaths as a result of contracting the actual virus. Just wait until people realise they have no jobs to go back to.

Will be interesting to see how Sweden does ...

Do tell - what do you think we should have done/do differently? please - you have the floor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Will be interesting to see how Sweden does ...

And the Dutch

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This is it wrote: »
    or because in many such third world countries the population of those above 65 is very much lower, so fewer die, because there are fewer of them in the first place. The hardest hit in Italy also have one of the oldest populations in the world.
    It's "airborne" in the sense that it can be transported through the air in an aerosol form in droplets of saliva and mucus. The virus itself isn't. And yet the HSE, the WHO and other health bodies are still insisting that community mask wearing is pointless.. :rolleyes: Taiwan and China and others don't seem to think so. And they're right.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ok, take a look at the last post on the WHO instagram page - 2 days ago. Complete opposite message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

HSE confirm that no nurses have died in Ireland from Covid19.

https://twitter.com/HSELive/status/1244942663142563841?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Can't understand the extreme tight restrictions on funerals. If workplaces and supermarkets can manage to spread out crowds of people into acceptable distances, why can't the same be done in a large church or graveyard???

Because there's always an oul fella at a funeral who doesn't watch the news or read the papers, hasn't a clue what coronavirus is and will insist on shaking the hands of everyone, potentially spreading it to himself and others. He'll then head to the shop to do his weekly shop after collecting the pension from the post office.

Ice Storm wrote: »

Is that Cosgrave sack going to fuck off now or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭1641

Ice Storm wrote: »

https://twitter.com/HSELive/status/1244942663142563841?s=20

So Paddy Cosgrave has publically confirmed himself to be a complete and utter dickhead.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,892 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Is that Cosgrave sack going to fuck off now or what?

Doubtful.

He's another nut case

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement