Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

is_that_so wrote: »
    Lockdowns in Italy and Spain are starting to get to people - that 4 week limit, which has been mentioned in our own briefings.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/tempers-fray-as-coronavirus-lockdown-fatigue-hits-italy-and-spain-1.4216812

Italy has been in almost complete lockdown since 10th March. I think we are beginning to see what is the extent people’s endurance for this degree of restriction without seeing much result for their efforts. As the summer kicks in and the weather gets hotter, frustration will inevitably grow.
    Other countries will be able to learn lessons from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

John.Icy wrote: »
    Lads quit blaming testing capacity.

~95% of tests are negative. Thousands being tested. It just isn't a catastrophic amount of people infected that some weird people are looking for it seems??

Seriously...everytime the "200" new case comes out of Tony's mouth everyone jumps straight to "ah they just are not testing enough so the true number is hidden".

People are so desperate for a surge christ.

Everybody wants to try be the person who was right. It's pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Wibbs wrote: »
    I strongly suspect we'll not see similar here ITS, or it'll be isolated cases. For a few reasons. I know it's a bit of a stereotype, but we're generally not as "hot headed" as some cultures and we tend to be more compliant socially and with regard to the authorities and there's the "shure it'll be grand like" factor here.

Secondly our population density and type of average housing that will be yet another factor in lessening both the spread and community psychology. Being cooped up in an apartment block with a thousand others is a lot harder on the mind than being inside a house with a garden. A family of four or five stuck in a house is tough enough, but the same setup in a generally much smaller apartment is much tougher. Having being "on the ground" in such places down the years, the culture is a much more outside where we live focused one than Ireland's. We're more house and indoors focused. Even our climate might come into it too. Baking hot summers are harder to stay in for and tempers can fray.

Even how we get around could make a difference. In high living density areas people are more likely to walk and use public transport, the latter being a much bigger contagion risk than Ireland where we tend to drive ourselves more.

I think as long as people are still getting some from of welfare assistance and mortgages being paused etc...we'll cope pretty well. If that stops all bets are off the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭quokula

wadacrack wrote: »
    Looking at how other countries with smaller populations in Europe have handled this , emphasis the fact that we have done a terrible job at this. Death and ICU numbers are way higher than countries of our size and some with over 10m population. They all closed flights much sooner than we did.

In terms of deaths per capita we're far lower than every large country, lower than the Benelux countries, half that of our nearest neighbour and the one we share a land border with, lower than Austria, Denmark, Sweden or Portugal.

Yes you can pick out the odd Eastern European country who have stats that look better than ours if you trust them, but it's ridiculous to say that Ireland has done a terrible job. The obsession with closing flights is a red herring as shown by the fact that the worst affected country, Italy, is also the one that closed flights earliest before the outbreak. Good governance is about following the science and evidence and listening to the experts, not about grand ineffectual populist gestures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Italy has been in almost complete lockdown since 10th March. I think we are beginning to see what is the extent people’s endurance for this degree of restriction without seeing much result for their efforts. As the summer kicks in and the weather gets hotter, frustration will inevitably grow.
    Other countries will be able to learn lessons from this.
    Apart from the enormous sympathy those stuck in it deserve, it is interesting to see that assertion about the length of effective lockdown being confirmed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lwaker.

How long can we afford the current lockdown?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

wakka12 wrote: »
    UAE has tested 300,000 people out of it's population of 9.1 million. I assume that is the highest level per capita in the world. It has just 600 cases, so coronvairus is clearly not at widespread pandemic levels in all regions on earth

What is the death toll there at present?

Can you imagine it in July ? with 35C heat outside and trying to keep people away from the beaches ?

Not to mention next summer 2021 ....

f*cking sh!tshow, the whole thing ...
    You'll be free long before then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

wakka12 wrote: »
    UAE has tested 300,000 people out of it's population of 9.1 million. I assume that is the highest level per capita in the world. It has just 600 cases, so coronvairus is clearly not at widespread pandemic levels in all regions on earth

Not sure of how far they've gotten with it, but Iceland are hoping to test everybody that is willing to have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Wibbs wrote: »
    I strongly suspect we'll not see similar here ITS, or it'll be isolated cases. For a few reasons. I know it's a bit of a stereotype, but we're generally not as "hot headed" as some cultures and we tend to be more compliant socially and with regard to the authorities and there's the "shure it'll be grand like" factor here.

Secondly our population density and type of average housing that will be yet another factor in lessening both the spread and community psychology. Being cooped up in an apartment block with a thousand others is a lot harder on the mind than being inside a house with a garden. A family of four or five stuck in a house is tough enough, but the same setup in a generally much smaller apartment is much tougher. Having being "on the ground" in such places down the years, the culture is a much more outside where we live focused one than Ireland's. We're more house and indoors focused. Even our climate might come into it too. Baking hot summers are harder to stay in for and tempers can fray.

Even how we get around could make a difference. In high living density areas people are more likely to walk and use public transport, the latter being a much bigger contagion risk than Ireland where we tend to drive ourselves more.

I hope your right, but if food and money runs out it’s everyman for himself and we will get hot headed quick enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Rutte and co went down the Herd Immunity path and it is going to bite them royally on the ass.

What? I've been working from home since the 9th of March now. The bars/restaurants/gyms etc, as well as the schools, have been officially closed since the 15th. Not the "we'll leave it up to yourselves" stuff with the hospitality sector that's going on in Ireland. With the schools the acted 1 working day after Ireland did.

The Netherlands is a country the size of Munster with almost 4 times the population of Ireland. In parts of the country Carnival was being celebrated in February. Many, many people partake in wintersports between December and March every year. The first confirmed case here partook in very risky and selfish behaviour, getting out of Northern Italy when Carnival there was being cancelled due to Covid-19 only to return and celebrate whatever was left going on here. A lot of events were cancelled.

I'm no champion of Rutte, but what they're trying to do is
    • Keep the economy from collapsing
    • Keep the healthcare system and workers from collapsing
    • The same as any other country in Western Europe

The numbers are only identifying what the testing capacity is ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Lwaker. wrote: »

A lockdown until we have low numbers is the best economic solution, it's not a question of affording it.

Do? About 4 weeks. Afford? Anything over 3-4 months will really screw us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Distribution of laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 31 March 2020 @ 08:00

novel-coronavirus-cases-EU-UK-31-03-2020.png?itok=Hlk2EWjP

Overall cases on the way down past the peak in Europe ?

Too early to say but 'fingers crossed'.

Larger clickable version here :- https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

We can’t, our kids will pay for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I don't know who Paddy Cosgrove is, never heard of him before, cannot be bothered to google him as I get the impression from yiz all that he is a bit of a prick. But reading this thread is like a litany of his name, repeated again and again. Can we leave him alone now, the bollox. Please.

On a different note I saw some celeb on some online newspaper being described as a "quarantine icon". Not because she was helping or anything, I think, but because she was being preppy and glamorous on Instagram or something, in spite of it all. Jesus, we are a vacuous civilisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Can you imagine it in July ? with 35C heat outside and trying to keep people away from the beaches ?

Not to mention next summer 2021 ....

f*cking sh!tshow, the whole thing ...

A summer of lockdown in a Mediterranean country would be hell on Earth. Especially for those who live in apartments.

Downlinz wrote: »
    A lockdown until we have low numbers is the best economic solution, it's not a question of affording it.

Article in the guardian stated that a 6.4% shrink in the economy is the equilibrium, they conducted a study last week in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭blackcard

HSE saying no nurses have died from Covid19

https://twitter.com/HSELive/status/1244942663142563841

There is so much false information being put out on social media, you then have people who forward on this information as fact. You have to question the agenda of a lot of people. Do they want to spread fear or misery or chaos, do they hate particular organisations or do they want to bring other people down to their level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

blackcard wrote: »
    There is so much false information being put out on social media, you then have people who forward on this information as fact. You have to question the agenda of a lot of people. Do they want to spread fear or misery or chaos, do they hate particular organisations or do they want to bring other people down to their level?

For many, it's all three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

A summer of lockdown in a Mediterranean country would be hell on Earth. Especially for those who live in apartments.

Add to that the heatwaves in Europe last year killed thousands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

blackcard wrote: »

Cosgrave should never have put out that tweet last night. It probably freaked relatives of medical staff out and made it look like the govt and HSE are involved in a massive cover up.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Miss OMMC

If a person works entirely alone at a workshop 20mins from their home, is this allowed? It's small scale manufacturering but not essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Gynoid wrote: »
    I don't know who Paddy Cosgrove is, never heard of him before, cannot be bothered to google him as I get the impression from yiz all that he is a bit of a prick. But reading this thread is like a litany of his name, repeated again and again. Can we leave him alone now, the bollox. Please.

On a different note I saw some celeb on some online newspaper being described as a "quarantine icon". Not because she was helping or anything, I think, but because she was being preppy and glamorous on Instagram or something, in spite of it all. Jesus, we are a vacuous civilisation.

never heard of him either until recently, but i hope the people of ireland remember that low life when this is all over.

He's stirring it every day on Twitter and won't back down. He's not being name checked here over something he said two weeks ago : every day he's coming out with new attacks on the Govt and HSE (he's been posting in the last few minutes).

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

Miss OMMC wrote: »
    If a person works entirely alone at a workshop 20mins from their home, is this allowed? It's small scale manufacturering but not essential.

I wont tell if you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Strazdas wrote: »
    He's stirring it every day on Twitter and won't back down. He's not being name checked here over something he said two weeks ago : every day he's coming out with new attacks on the Govt and HSE (he's been posting in the last few minutes).

If people stopped reading his tweets then his tweeting would be pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

You'll be free long before then!

fecking hope so!!

otherwise i'll be sneaking down to the beach ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Probably not but it's not against the spirit or intentions of the guidelines if you're working alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

do you need forums permission ? if it keeps you going and sane work away, makes no difference to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

This is it wrote: »
    Or because there's little testing or deaths attributed to C19 in those countries

Article in UK Independent...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

21109286_web1_200328-BIR-toonsat-HEROM-1200x917.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I saw Leo's face when he was sitting beside Trump. I definitely got a hint of disgust from his face when he was sitting beside Trump.[/QUOTE]

I thought it serious error of judgement for Leo to go to USA.
    Having to close schools from White House?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Technically no it isn`t.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Miss OMMC

scamalert wrote: »
    do you need forums permission ? if it keeps you going and sane work away, makes no difference to anyone.

Just hearing about people being turned around and sent home by guards. I can't find any information about this type of work so thought I'd ask here. Will keep going until told otherwise I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭AG123

Do people think restrictions will be gradually lifted on a regional basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Lockdowns in Italy and Spain are starting to get to people - that 4 week limit, which has been mentioned in our own briefings.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/tempers-fray-as-coronavirus-lockdown-fatigue-hits-italy-and-spain-1.4216812

reading it and it seems to be more an issue with welfare payments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

ITman88 wrote: »
    We can’t, our kids will pay for it

Nah we'll pay for it - government in, emergency budget - hefty 'carbon/ solidarity' tax on carbon products. Kill two birds with one stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Gods Gift wrote: »
    AIB

Always In Bother.

Why do people expect bank current account services to be free?? I don't expect my gas or electricity to be free. I haven't heard other services providers being asked to suspend charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

AG123 wrote: »
    Do people think restrictions will be gradually lifted on a regional basis?

No as people will just travel to unrestricted areas. Its an all or nothing scenario

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Mwengwe wrote: »
    reading it and it seems to be more an issue with welfare payments
    The 4 weeks is significant as it is the point where they say it begins to stop working working so effectively through public fatigue with the measures.

Just hearing about people being turned around and sent home by guards. I can't find any information about this type of work so thought I'd ask here. Will keep going until told otherwise I suppose.

I would think someone working away on their own wouldn't be in breach of any restriction. The only issue would be the 2km limit, but it would hardly be the end of the world if they went outside the limit to do this work.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

froog wrote: »

This is the total amount who have been in ICU not the current amount in there right now.. am I correct in saying that ??

The Fench president has suspended gas, water, electricity, rent and mortgage payments. Solidarity was a one street in 20008 when people bailed out Always in Bother and the other pondlife in the financial services industry. The nation again will experience that one way straight again bailing out banks for the benefit of bond markets not the people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    This is the total amount who have been in ICU not the current amount in there right now.. am I correct in saying that ??

No, it decreased yesterday as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

To be honest I think the only reason people are talking about him here is because someone, absolutely not Paddy himself, no siree, keeps coming onto the thread and posting his own...I mean Paddy's tweets.

I myself don't follow him on social media. But I might as flippin well with the number of his tweets I'm exposed to on this thread. Hence all the giving out. At least that's why I'm giving out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

You have been told otherwise - no unnecessary travel and no work for other than designated essential services. Why wait until you are stopped when you alredy know you should not be out?

The more people that chance their arm and are seen about the place, the less effective the restrictions will be. Everyone could have a valid reason to be out, if it was left up to us. What if you had an accident on the way - eg truck hit Luas yesterday... one more person in a hospital at a time when we are trying to keep a focus on keeping people alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

froog wrote: »

Is this current or cumulative did anyone find out

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Nah we'll pay for it - government in, emergency budget - hefty 'carbon/ solidarity' tax on carbon products. Kill two birds with one stone.

The revenue generated will be rather small due to the substantial drop in employment

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement