Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Strazdas wrote: »
    I would think someone working away on their own wouldn't be in breach of any restriction. The only issue would be the 2km limit, but it would hardly be the end of the world if they went outside the limit to do this work.

Not true. Your thinking is incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

6 further deaths in NI, total 28 now. And almost 600 cases there now in total

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Strazdas wrote: »
    He's stirring it every day on Twitter and won't back down. He's not being name checked here over something he said two weeks ago : every day he's coming out with new attacks on the Govt and HSE (he's been posting in the last few minutes).

The current and previous governments have bent over backyards for nearly all the tech giants so much that they don't intend to recover Apples tax bill.
    So it says a lot about their view of Paddy, what his demands and motives were vs the actual worth of that spoofer conference besides filling hotels in Dublin for a week.

I said in a previous post he probably got the 500 health workers infected and took a rough guess 4 of them would possibly die eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

is_that_so wrote: »
    The 4 weeks is significant as it is the point where they say it begins to stop working working so effectively through public fatigue with the measures.

What's the alternative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭ShayNanigan

New study suggests the two-metre safety distance is nowhere enough. The virus can travel eight metres.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/27/social-distancing-new-study-suggests-two-metres-not-enough/

Did you see the video where the WHO boss says Covid-19 is airborne?

Meanwhile, I'm still having mild symptoms that are not a regular cold. I've been more or less sick since the end of January. There was about a week in between somewhere and now been ill for over two weeks. It's not getting worse but it's not getting better either. Temperature constantly around 37 to 37.4 so nothing big but still enough to make me feel unwell. Also headache, lung pain occasionally. Chest tightness and feeling of not being able to breath properly is slowly getting better. I don't know what this is but it is annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭spookwoman

WTF is wrong with people
    Gardaí stop woman with Covid-19 out posting letters

Gardaí were left shocked after discovering a woman posting a letter who had tested positive for Covid-19.

The worrying incident happened recently in the south of the country.

Gardaí operating a checkpoint stopped a car and asked a couple why they were out, bearing in mind the current restrictions on travel.....

The female passenger present informed gardaí that she had been recently diagnosed as Covid-19 positive.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/gardai-stop-woman-with-covid-19-out-posting-letters-991239.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

The HSE's inability to present basic facts is leading to rumour and fear. People will start to believe that the HSE are conspiring to hide some of the facts about the pandemic outbreak. People will then move from having a belief in the governments and HSE response and start to believe some of the wilder conspiracy theories that are abroad.

The HSE need to

1 .Tell us how many people have been admitted to ICU units and how many are actually in ICU units at any given moment
    2 .Tell us how many tests have been carried out and processed through labs. Tell us how many test are processed each day.

There is no reason that these facts should not be released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

spookwoman wrote: »
    WTF is wrong with people

Gardaí were left shocked after discovering a woman posting a letter who had tested positive for Covid-19.

Gardaí operating a checkpoint stopped a car and asked a couple why they were out, bearing in mind the current restrictions on travel.....

The female passenger present informed gardaí that she had been recently diagnosed as Covid-19 positive.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/gardai-stop-woman-with-covid-19-out-posting-letters-991239.html

Why the hell did she tell them she had COVID 19?? Sounds like she just wanted to be in the headlines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

New study suggests the two-metre safety distance is nowhere enough. The virus can travel eight metres.

8 metre social distancing?

Unworkable if true, I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

spookwoman wrote: »
    WTF is wrong with people

I suggested that covid19 positive persons should be subjected to gardai checks at home daily. Someone responded, we can't do that because of GDPR!

There should be substantial fines for anyone who tests positive and is found out in the community.

This sh*t has got to stop. That woman could have infected dozens more. The level of stupidity of some people in this country has been exposed in the last month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,698 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Ice Storm wrote: »
    HSE confirm that no nurses have died in Ireland from Covid19.

https://twitter.com/HSELive/status/1244942663142563841?s=20

Everyone should report that Cosgrave guy on Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

fritzelly wrote: »
    Everyone should report that Cosgrave guy

Man needs a milkshake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Got to laugh at these incompetent fools they call the Gardai....

Walked past a checkpoint today, guy rolls the window down then the fool proceeds to stick his head in the window breading all over the guy in the passenger seat. At best their faces were 2 feet apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

AG123 wrote: »
    Do people think restrictions will be gradually lifted on a regional basis?

Not a hope. The restrictions likely to be in place for some months (if we are lucky).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

AG123 wrote: »
    Do people think restrictions will be gradually lifted on a regional basis?

Not trying to be a downer(people will say I am) but once the figures go down and we gradually start going about our business again,the threat will increase again unless the virus completely disappears from the face of the earth(highly unlikely)

We will still have to maintain frequent hand washing,cough etiquette,social distancing etc

Also,I am a firm believer that there will be a "second wave" to this Pandemic.

Our lives won't go back to what we knew as normal before this outbreak for a long time

Our greatest hurdle after the initial outbreak will be complacency

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

MarkY91 wrote: »

Walked past a checkpoint today, guy rolls the window down then the fool proceeds to stick his head in the window breading all over the guy in the passenger seat. At best their faces were 2 feet apart.

I don't believe you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

fritzelly wrote: »
    Everyone should report that Cosgrave guy

I have seen this Cosgrave guy mentioned many times on this thread but I have no idea who he is. I guess I could Google him but the mood music suggests not.
    Why do you read his garbage so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

8 metre social distancing?

Unworkable if true, I'm afraid.

Totally.....that would knock supermarkets, post offices, public transport, Garda checkpoints and everything else out of the equation.

I've already made the decision that if I am stopped I will only wind window down a few millimeters explain to them why and ask them to keep their distance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Steve F wrote: »
    Not trying to be a downer(people will say I am) but once the figures go down and we gradually start going about our business again,the threat will increase again unless the virus completely disappears from the face of the earth(highly unlikely)

We will still have to maintain frequent hand washing,cough etiquette,social distancing etc

Also,I am a firm believer that there will be a "second wave" to this Pandemic.

Our lives won't go back to what we knew as normal before this outbreak for a long time

Our greatest hurdle after the initial outbreak will be complacency

Would be a positive if it resulted in a general increase in hygiene. He fact that it took a pandemic for people to understand how to cough or sneeze properly is amazing

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Was it white loaf Brennans?

I don't believe you.

What's so unbelievable about it? The Gardai bent down to walk and his nose was literally inside the car. It's absolutely disgraceful. The driver should have told him to back off.

It's my first time seeing a checkpoint. I'd have imagined they were keeping distance but clearly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I love how we are in a crisis and FG are using bots to praise Simon Harris.

Steve F wrote: »
    I've already made the decision that if I am stopped I will only wind window down a few millimeters explain to them why and ask them to keep their distance

Everyone should do that. I was furious. I wish I took a photo of it and plastered it on Twitter to make that idiot Gardai famous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Seems strange. I saw a checkpoint yesterday. Guards were standing at the passenger side of each car stopped. But standing well back from the car and speaking to the occupants from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,698 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I have seen this Cosgrave guy mentioned many times on this thread but I have no idea who he is. I guess I could Google him but the mood music suggests not.
    Why do you read his garbage so?

Someone constantly posts his tweets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Rutte and co went down the Herd Immunity path and it is going to bite them royally on the ass.
    It is not only the Dutch Gov position on herd immunity, but also how the population is not taking this seriously.
    "The Netherlands' anonymous tip line Meld Misdaad Anoniem received dozens of tips about people breaking the restrictions in place to curb the spread of Covid-19.

Most tips regarded things like parties, bars letting people in, and businesses that are open against the rules like gyms and nail salons, a spokesperson said"
    https://nltimes.nl/2020/03/31/record-hours-sunshine-making-difficult-stick-coronavirus-restrictions
    Interesting they have an "anonymous tip line".

USDEATHS_0.png?itok=gpY31YW8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

froog wrote: »

Again, using 'Admitted' instead of currently in. Why are they using this term?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭This is it

Article in UK Independent...

Probably better to link it than pass it off as your own theory then.

• Advertisement

Would be a positive if it resulted in a general increase in hygiene. He fact that it took a pandemic for people to understand how to cough or sneeze properly is amazing

Totally agree
    However,if recent behavior by some is anything to go by most will fall back into old habits.

I remember commenting on here near the beginning of the outbreak that if frequent hand washing was one of the measures to slow the spread then "God help us all" and a few scoffed.

Personal hygiene wouldn't be high a some peoples list of priorities

Some peoples behavior in public toilets tells you this....Both Male and Female are guilty equally as my wife has confirmed the same behavior that I have seen in Male Toilets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

I'd say keep your sandwiches to yourself, sir :pac:.

So true, wasn't it on Mythbusters around 20 years ago??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

RobertKK wrote: »

I love that you felt the need to share that with us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭elperello

So you saw one Garda making a mistake and that entitles you to call AGS "incompetent fools".

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/27/social-distancing-new-study-suggests-two-metres-not-enough/

The article does mention coughs and sneezes in relation to this distance though, as well as a warm & moist atmosphere as a medium. An 8 metre rule for distancing would be simply unworkable unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

I have a 3M respirator mask in the car similar to the one Wibbs posted a pic of that he has some time back, protective eye wear and Vinyl gloves.

If I encounter a checkpoint I will signal for them to wait one minute, put on my mask, glasses and gloves and then engage with them.

There is no reason to wind down the window to a garda. In Spain they ask to see shopping receipts as proof of your business being out. These can easily be shown through a window as can any proof of the reason for your journey. If a garda asks you to wind down your window, you are within your rights to refuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

367 added to England tally - 19 to 98 years, 28 of them had NO underlying conditions

393 UK tally total for today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

joe_99 wrote: »
    Again, using 'Admitted' instead of currently in. Why are they using this term?

Is that an honest question?
    In media terms they will give you the admitted number as it a reflection of the amount of cases that need or require an ICU bed. So for e.g. out of 2000 cases 200 need ICU. Therefore its safe to assume that 10% of cases need ICU. That is the important figure really. Telling people hey there is only 50 ICU beds left, 49 tomorrow, 35 the next day. will only cause anxiety and more worry in the public. Its also a number that will be in flux constantly as ppl that need to go to ICU will recover at different rates (adding more numbers) and of course unfortunately deaths.
    The HSE and Gov are in a crisis "management" situation. Its not only managing the number of patience, beds, etc, its also managing the public and their worries and uncertainties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I love that you felt the need to share that with us
    Well any real person who is praising people who left everything open far too long is an idiot. If it's not bots then we have more stupid people than even I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Could this be why Germanys death rate is so low?

'HHS said Germany’s Sandoz has already given 30 million doses of hydroxychloroquine to the Strategic National Stockpile, the federal government’s supply of medical supplies for public health emergencies, while Bayer has donated 1 million doses of chloroquine'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,846 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

367 added to England tally - 19 to 98 years, 28 of them had NO underlying conditions

DEATHS OR CASES ?

Deaths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Miss OMMC wrote: »
    If a person works entirely alone at a workshop 20mins from their home, is this allowed? It's small scale manufacturering but not essential.

Probably not, but if you had some shopping bags on the passenger seat...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

RobertKK wrote: »

Not surprised in the slightest that we are in a crisis and that SF are using bots to attack Simon Harris and everyone else in FG.

• Advertisement

Taking off in UK sadly. Indicates a major problem and spread over there. We need to do all we can to isolate ourselves from that or we will be as bad as them a few weeks from now.

Their herd immunity idea was very badly thought out and the changes they made came very late.

As stated regarding UK surge in fatalities -
    New victims were aged between 19 & 98, and 28 had no underlying health conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

cnocbui wrote: »
    Probably not, but if you had some shopping bags on the passenger seat...

Why are you suggesting that people can cover up the fact that they are making unnecessary journeys while breaking a restriction that the vast majority are doing their best to observe, in very difficult circumstances?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Taking off in UK sadly. Indicates a major problem and spread over there. We need to do all we can to isolate ourselves from that or we will be as bad as them a few weeks from now.

Their herd immunity idea was very badly thought out and the changes they made came very late.

I think they broadened the criteria that they use to report deaths today, e.g. including non hospital deaths such as nursing home deaths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Belgium has +192 deaths today

Belgium is six times smaller than Italy. It only has a population of 11 million.

So for perspective, if it was the same size as Italy, 192 x 6 = 1,152 deaths.

Belgium is now publishing data on covid-19 cases, hospitalisations & deaths broken down by sex & age groups, at province level.
    https://epistat.wiv-isp.be/covid/

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement