Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Anyone else get triggered when they give statistics about how it's mostly people with "underlying conditions"? It just seems like they're saying "oh it won't affect me, sod those people". There's something a bit nasty about the way they do it. As if "it's ok guys, they had underlying conditions".

These people they're talking about are perfectly healthy with decades of high quality life expectancy left who have "underlying conditions". Dismissing it as "underlying conditions" because you happen to have asthma, heart disease, diabetes is so crass. Who doesn't have "underlying conditions".

I hope people without underlying conditions get it just as much. It's good news for people without other conditions, bad news for those with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lwaker.

367 added to England tally - 19 to 98 years, 28 of them had NO underlying conditions

393 UK tally total for today.

Annoying thing is Boris Johnson will be all over it now playing the patriotism card and covering for his ****up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

367 added to England tally - 19 to 98 years, 28 of them had NO underlying conditions

I read somewhere they were going to add nursing home deaths, so this could be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I love that you felt the need to share that with us

It is a relief i don't live in Hungary right now so I can say this.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

So probably a fair bit over 400 then I would say, after this mornings revelation that the UK Government are deliberately leaving out of the death toll those who die outside hospital rather than inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Stheno wrote: »
    I think they broadened the criteria that they use to report deaths today, e.g. including non hospital deaths such as nursing home deaths

Fair point. I don't think Italy include any deaths outside of hospitals, which means the Italian deaths are probably off the scale.

But 400 deaths a day indicates the scale of the problem.

There is no way the UK can keep this under 20,000 dead. Nursing homes alone will be in big trouble.

Nursing homes alone will be in big trouble.

Those who die in nursing homes are not counted in the death stats.

Not surprised in the slightest that we are in a crisis and that SF are using bots to attack Simon Harris and everyone else in FG.

Like this person?

https://twitter.com/boucherhayes/status/1244897603822800901?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Lwaker. wrote: »
    Annoying thing is Boris Johnson will be all over it now playing the patriotism card and covering for his ****up

And Leo doesn't play the patriotism card either? Another anti Brit rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

devnull wrote: »

In the UK, or here?

• Advertisement

Ger Roe wrote: »
    You have been told otherwise - no unnecessary travel and no work for other than designated essential services. Why wait until you are stopped when you alredy know you should not be out?

The more people that chance their arm and are seen about the place, the less effective the restrictions will be. Everyone could have a valid reason to be out, if it was left up to us. What if you had an accident on the way - eg truck hit Luas yesterday... one more person in a hospital at a time when we are trying to keep a focus on keeping people alive.

This "don't go out because what if you have an accident' line is small minded nonsense. I trust you are clinging tight to your bed for fear you might fall out??

In the UK, or here?

In the UK.

It's been exposed that the death rate is being under-reported by as much as 24% because they're only including people who died in hospitals and not those in other locations.

The Office of National Statistics called the government out for it because the number of death certificates for coronavirus for a week period was far higher than the number of reported deaths in the statistics published by the government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

This is it wrote: »
    Probably better to link it than pass it off as your own theory then.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/coronavirus-easyjet-flight-news-fleet-grounded-travel-restrictions-latest-a9433041.html

Thanks,

The article about Airline (EasyJet) but i found the World map down the page interesting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lwaker.

Steve F wrote: »
    Not trying to be a downer(people will say I am) but once the figures go down and we gradually start going about our business again,the threat will increase again unless the virus completely disappears from the face of the earth(highly unlikely)

We will still have to maintain frequent hand washing,cough etiquette,social distancing etc

Also,I am a firm believer that there will be a "second wave" to this Pandemic.

Our lives won't go back to what we knew as normal before this outbreak for a long time

Our greatest hurdle after the initial outbreak will be complacency

You're forgetting the antibody test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

HSE saying no nurses have died from Covid19

https://twitter.com/HSELive/status/1244942663142563841

Good to hear. Look at this for nitpicking:

https://twitter.com/paddycosgrave/status/1244962521678860288?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

That is terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭1641

Stheno wrote: »
    I think they broadened the criteria that they use to report deaths today, e.g. including non hospital deaths such as nursing home deaths

Yeah - Sean Whelan (RTE) predicted yesterday that the number of deaths announced today would rise because of a change in counting system. I understood from his report that it the number of deaths yesterday was artificialy low, but that the numbers not included yesterday would add to today's total.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Lwaker. wrote: »
    You're forgetting the antibody test

I did and its a very good point,,thanks
    Steve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

A 19 year old with no known health conditions has died in England
    https://news.sky.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Fair point. I don't think Italy include any deaths outside of hospitals, which means the Italian deaths are probably off the scale.

There is no way the UK can keep this under 20,000 dead. Nursing homes alone will be in big trouble.

Mayor of Bergamo said deaths in the lombardy region are underestimates by a factor of 4x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Gynoid wrote: »
    That is terrible.
    NHS is not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Based on Fergus Bowers images and HSE's CIDR pages themselves, there is either, a paucity of data available to HSE because they are gathering data on an LCD basis with totally unfit-for-purpose information systems, or they are obfuscating, or a combination of both. Personally believe it's the latter.

To calculate load on the system the minimum they'd need would be numbers of admissions, intensive care, ICU, on ventilators, discharged to pre-release ward symptoms resolved, discharged from hospital symptoms resolved, discharged dead. Even that would only be a small step-up from guesstimates, much greater granularity would be required to attempt to balance resource usage effectively.

Put COVID-19 on top of that and I suspect there is a large amount of ad hocery going on in the collection of data to get round the inflexibility of the current information systems.

Based on previous in-patient experience, data is inconsistently gathered, summation is delayed, and the information systems are unfit for purpose. Added to which there is considerable variation in ward management effectiveness across shifts and wards.

Please omit the moral, indignation on behalf of nurses, doctors, technical support staff etc. More than most, I am fully aware of the general level of effort across the front-line to deliver generally excellent care in the face of inadequate resources, faulty SOPs, bad internal co-ordination, and inadequate information systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I think they will be from now on.

Anyone else get triggered when they give statistics about how it's mostly people with "underlying conditions"? It just seems like they're saying "oh it won't affect me, sod those people". There's something a bit nasty about the way they do it. As if "it's ok guys, they had underlying conditions".

These people they're talking about are perfectly healthy with decades of high quality life expectancy left who have "underlying conditions". Dismissing it as "underlying conditions" because you happen to have asthma, heart disease, diabetes is so crass. Who doesn't have "underlying conditions".

I hope people without underlying conditions get it just as much. It's good news for people without other conditions, bad news for those with them.

Good point. Also Ireland has one of the highest rates of hypertension (high blood pressure) in the western world. 1 in 4 may have it either known or unknown. Its a risk factor for getting a more severe dose of CV than normal. A lot of people unfortunately can't assume that "I'll be grand, it won't affect me much".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

The death toll in the UK will most likely be in 6 figures and the USA possibly in 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

This "don't go out because what if you have an accident' line is small minded nonsense. I trust you are clinging tight to your bed for fear you might fall out??

It was a fact yesterday.... did you not see? A truck really did hit a Luas :cool: anyway, my main point is what you have chosen to ignore - no unnecessary journeys or work unless for essential services.

Sure, anyone can find a way around it, nothing clever about that, but in a caring society most reasonable people are willing to make a considerable effort for the common good.

Some others ..... aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭1641

Have you a link for that?

I understood from yesterday's RTE report that deaths in nursing homes over the weekend were not included in yesterday's figures, as they were waiting for them to be lab confirmed coronavirus, but that those positive would be added to today's figures. Thus yesterday's figures were artificially low and today's much higher as a consequence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,721 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Owl Fergal is great

But I do have to laugh at how he pronounces scenario (sin are e o); Fergal prefers sin air e o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

The death toll in the UK will most likely be in 6 figures and the USA possibly in 7.

Says who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

12 year old Belgian girl dies from the Virus,

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-girl-12-becomes-youngest-known-person-to-die-in-europe-11966171

This has to be a wake up call to everyone, i am not saying older peoples lives matter less than younger, but if my elderly parents happened to die from this, it would not be as big a tragedy as someone 12 years old.

Everyone needs to take super care and stop thinking, 'I am alright Jack'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Boris Johnson not looking the best

magma69 wrote: »
    Says who?

Cork Boy, duh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Good point. Also Ireland has one of the highest rates of hypertension (high blood pressure) in the western world. 1 in 4 may have it either known or unknown. Its a risk factor for getting a more severe dose of CV than normal. A lot of people unfortunately can't assume that "I'll be grand, it won't affect me much".

If a person is on medication to keep their blood pressure under control does this lower their risk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,829 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Most likely won't be... but time will tell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Are you addicted to misery or what's the story ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

bilston wrote: »
    Most likely won't be... but time will tell

I suppose it depends on how accurate the figures are. More people are dying from this than are being counted in the official statistics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,846 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

12 year old Belgian girl dies from the Virus,

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-girl-12-becomes-youngest-known-person-to-die-in-europe-11966171

This has to be a wake up call to everyone, i am not saying older peoples lives matter less than younger, but if my elderly parents happened to die from this, it would not be as big a tragedy as someone 12 years old.

Everyone needs to take super care and stop thinking, 'I am alright Jack'

Unfortunately there will be always outliers ,

FVP3 wrote: »
    No, it decreased yesterday as far as I know.

It didn’t, the figure given yesterday was the official figure as of Saturday night. The 88 figure was allegedly Sunday’s figure but that has not been confirmed by any official source and if it was a figure it is cumulative but higher than Saturdays so still holds that the figures are all cumulative.
    wakka12 wrote: »
    Is this current or cumulative did anyone find out

It’s cumulative, RTE are reporting it incorrectly the HSE reported it as “the number of patients who have been admitted to ICU has risen to 103” I.e total since that start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

tigger123 wrote: »
    Curve is beginning to move in a positive direction, as per the headline on this morning's Irish Times.

It all seems to be worth the effort!

Again let's hope for a good day with no deaths

EUa6JsIXYAA72-0?format=jpg&name=900x900

Now many clusters in nursing homes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Unfortunately there will be always outliers ,

Pity this 12 year old with her life ahead of her ends up as being refereed to as an 'outlier'

I suggested that covid19 positive persons should be subjected to gardai checks at home daily. Someone responded, we can't do that because of GDPR!

There should be substantial fines for anyone who tests positive and is found out in the community.

This sh*t has got to stop. That woman could have infected dozens more. The level of stupidity of some people in this country has been exposed in the last month.

It’s not GDPR. It’s medical confidentiality which has been around a lot longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

tigger123 wrote: »
    Curve is beginning to move in a positive direction, as per the headline on this morning's Irish Times.

It all seems to be worth the effort!

Yes...time will tell I just hope the restrictions didn't come too late.

Imagine if they keep dropping....wonderful news :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Boris Johnson not looking the best

Was he ever :p he is better now apparently, quick recovery from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,846 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Pity this 12 year old with her life ahead of her ends up as being refereed to as an 'outlier'

Come on now you know I was in no way trying to lessen a person's death,

Just by the sheer numbers there will always be people out side of the normal age range,

Of course your hearth still goes out to the girl and her family, but no need to cause unjust panic,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Yes absolutely.
    Even when it states someone had no underlying health issues people are still scrambling around saying "oh he/she must have had something wrong that they weren't aware of" like it's an impossibility that a perfectly health person can't die from this. Wiping the sweat off their brow that it's someone else's problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Ah here now there is no need for that, you know what the poster meant no need for grandstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Are you addicted to misery or what's the story ?

All the doom mongers did overnight PhDs in medicine and virology.

UK hot hard today according to reports.....Almost 400 deaths, is this right?

• Advertisement

On this, age itself is an underlying condition in a way (diminished immune system). I like to see the ages of people succumbing without an underlying condition. I’d be amazed if they aren’t mostly elderly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement