Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭poppers

RobertKK wrote: »
    EUa6JsIXYAA72-0?format=jpg&name=900x900

Now many clusters in nursing homes.

But the nursing homes didnt lift the visiting restrictions so unfortunately staff must have brought in in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Stheno wrote: »
    I think they broadened the criteria that they use to report deaths today, e.g. including non hospital deaths such as nursing home deaths
    NHS England said those who died were all in hospital and their ages ranged from 19 to 98. All but 28 of the patients had underlying health conditions. The 28 who did not were aged between 19 and 91.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/mar/31/uk-coronavirus-live-ons-death-toll-covid-19-latest

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

magma69 wrote: »
    All the doom mongers did overnight PhDs in medicine and virology.
    The appropriate speciality would be epidemiology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Come on now you know I was in no way trying to lessen a person's death,

Just by the sheer numbers there will always be people out side of the normal age range,

Of course your hearth still goes out to the girl and her family, but no need to cause unjust panic,
    BanditLuke wrote: »
    Ah here now there is no need for that, you know what the poster meant no need for grandstanding.

I will accept what you both said.

People do however need to up their level of care in general around this.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Pity this 12 year old with her life ahead of her ends up as being refereed to as an 'outlier'

But it is and its going to be used by people to instill fear in other people. Young people thankfully for the most part unaffected by this virus and that needs to be said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

spookwoman wrote: »
    WTF is wrong with people
    Gardaí stop woman with Covid-19 out posting letters

Gardaí were left shocked after discovering a woman posting a letter who had tested positive for Covid-19.

The worrying incident happened recently in the south of the country.

Gardaí operating a checkpoint stopped a car and asked a couple why they were out, bearing in mind the current restrictions on travel.....

The female passenger present informed gardaí that she had been recently diagnosed as Covid-19 positive.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/gardai-stop-woman-with-covid-19-out-posting-letters-991239.html

OMG WTF

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Seamai wrote: »
    If a person is on medication to keep their blood pressure under control does this lower their risk?

I hope so!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Stheno wrote: »
    Wow that's a huge rise if that's the case.

Dreadful

How far is the UK estimated to be from the likely peak? Same as us or earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

poppers wrote: »
    But the nursing homes didnt lift the visiting restrictions so unfortunately staff must have brought in in.

Yes but the people doing the official recommendations didn't see it fit to support the measures the nursing homes group told their members to make, I don't know if it covered all or some nursing homes.
    But if the nursing homes group had waited for official recommendations it would be far worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The guy is trying desperately to stay relevant. I guess the fact there will be no web summit this year means he's time on his hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

It's not getting worse but it's not getting better either. Temperature constantly around 37 to 37.4 so nothing big but still enough to make me feel unwell. Also headache, lung pain occasionally. Chest tightness and feeling of not being able to breath properly is slowly getting better. I don't know what this is but it is annoying.

a lot of stuff floating around, and it's pretty much impossible to tell what you've got so you just have to live with it. I had cough/sore throat but it could have been any number of 'normal' things so no point in obsessing over it (but I did a bit when I had it!).

Your temperature looks normal, unless I've got my figures wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I cant believe the scale of death across Europe today, 1500 already before France or Italy even announce, Spain and Germany have only updated once also

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I'm fed up trying to prepare my food in an aseptic manner. Opening fridge, wash hands, open press, wash hands, get plate and cutlery, wash hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

walshb wrote: »
    UK hot hard today according to reports.....Almost 400 deaths, is this right?
    It's fake news.
    People who already wrecked their health by eating McDonalds and smoking shouldn't be counted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Are you addicted to misery or what's the story ?

Do you gain any particular benefit from living the life of an ostrich and being constantly shielded from the reality?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

I'm fed up trying to prepare my food in an aseptic manner. Opening fridge, wash hands, open press, wash hands, get plate and cutlery, wash hands.

Pointless.

You're forgetting to wash your hands after washing your hands.

Do have no control over the comings and goings in your household?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Uh, don't say that. It would expose the virus as a hoax.
    By the way regular influenza is much more dangerous.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

22 clusters in nursing homes according to

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0330/1127300-coronavirus-analysis-ireland-cases/

can anyone advise why the high number in nursing homes relative to the population. there are about 460 nursing homes in ireland.

is it possible that 5% of the population generally have got it or had it but most people just never noticed or felt like they had a mild cold???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Do you live under a bridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Unless you have a fumehood or bunsen burner, you can’t keep things aseptic. If you thoroughly clean your hands entering the house, normal house cleanliness should be just fine.

Do you live under a bridge?
    I'm not an NPC that listens to fear mongering from mainstream media.

Unless you have a fumehood or bunsen burner, you can’t keep things aseptic. If you thoroughly clean your hands entering the house, normal house cleanliness should be fine.

I would add to that, wipe down your shopping before putting it away and then wash your hands one final time, then life as normal.

I'm not an NPC that listens to fear mongering from mainstream media.

Nuff said.

22 clusters in nursing homes according to

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0330/1127300-coronavirus-analysis-ireland-cases/

can anyone advise why the high number in nursing homes relative to the population. there are about 460 nursing homes in ireland.

is it possible that 5% of the population generally have got it or had it but most people just never noticed or felt like they had a mild cold???

Yeh it would seem like thats the case, probably around 5% of the population does already have it, tests on random hospital patients in Belgium showed a figure around that size. But dormitory shared living spaces will always be breeding grounds, look at prisons as another example, so many breakouts there, so that probably further exaggerates it

How do you reach that controversial conclusion?

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yeh it would seem like thats the case, probably around 5% of the population does already have it, tests on random hospital patients in Belgium showed a figure around that size. But dormitory shared living spaces will always be breeding grounds, look at prisons as another example, so many breakouts there, so that probably further exaggerates it

Stats based on random testing of hospital patients can't be extrapolated to the general population.

Nuff said.
    They will always play up anything happening as if it's the end of the world. It's all about click revenue. Sensationalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Either trolling or head so deep in the sand that your ass is also covered.

Thanks Wakka, that makes sense, i appreciate that input.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Another reduction in deaths and cases in Lombardy, looks like it really is flattening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Pencil Neck

Big jump in UK deaths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The breakdown across the UK

Capture.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Didn't someone say here the other day they knew one of the people who had died and that they were a nurse

• Advertisement

Why are you doing all that? Once in your home should be no need for that sort of thing. Once home I only wash hands as normal (I.e. after toilet, preparing raw meat or if actually dirty).

Stats based on random testing of hospital patients can't be extrapolated to the general population.

it was more the nursing homes rather than hospitals that i was wondering about. thoughts??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

So we have a three body problem.
    • paddy C
    • HSE
    • irish times

HSE say no deaths
    https://twitter.com/HSELive/status/1244942663142563841?s=20
    Irish Times have report on one last Friday.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-healthcare-worker-in-republic-dies-after-contracting-virus-1.4213892
    Paddy C (aka devil) said there were four.

1, 2 or all 3 are lying / misinformed.
    HSE wording seems suspect.
    I wouldn't think a newspaper would getting something so inflammatory wrong.

Who knows.

#notpaddy
    #comebackstronger

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

World-wide COVID-19 deaths/resolved = 32582/197148 = 16.53%.

Lovely charts and graphs as usual.
    guardian.co.uk, based on John Hopkins University 30th March

Usual caveats,
    confirmed < > infected
    confirmed totally inconsistent metric across countries and time
    confirmed deaths from COVID-19 <> total deaths attributable to COVID-19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Unless you have a fumehood or bunsen burner, you can’t keep things aseptic. If you thoroughly clean your hands entering the house, normal house cleanliness should be fine.

But the one i would say people are going to get caught out on, is your products you buy in shop were shelf stacked most likely that day.

If the shelf stacker has been coughing, sneezing, wiping their snout with there hands and then stacking its on your packaging.

Before anything enters my house, every thing is wiped down and cleaned in the garden and transferred into a know clean bag from the house.

My clothes are deposited in a box in the porch before i go in to shower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

devnull wrote: »
    Another reduction in deaths and cases in Lombardy, looks like it really is flattening.

Bloody Marvelous

It can and will be defeated

it was more the nursing homes rather than hospitals that i was wondering about. thoughts??

Sorry, what's the question?

Latest Lombardy Figures

New Deaths 381, down from 458 yesterday.
    New Cases 1047, down from 1154 yesterday

Curve is seemingly flattening there.

Why not..? It was patients who had come into hospital for reasons unrelated to COVID, car crash, heart attack, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

I sometimes wonder at some of the people I share the planet with… :confused:

Covid-19: Irish family stranded in Peru enjoy kindness of strangers
    The Irish Times

So Christina Park, her husband and their two boys were "enjoying a year-long South American adventure" when the Peruvian government announced a complete lockdown.

“Dreams of continuing to Machu Picchu, Lake Titicaca and the Atacama Desert evaporated”.

News - of a Global Pandemic - seemed “very distant” until the sudden crackdown. :rolleyes:

“With very few reported cases in South America, we felt we had weeks before movement might be restricted.
    The couple were ‘bemused’ when they saw their Staff at their hotel in Ecuador wearing surgical masks. Their main worry?... “That it might frighten the children,” she said.:rolleyes:

In the beginning, Ms Park said she had mentioned to a local that people in Ireland and France were being told that they could go for a walk as long as they did not come close to other people .
    “We don’t have the health system they have,” replied the local. “If you had the situation here that you have ... it would be chaos.”

The family were on Sunday's repatriation flight.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/covid-19-irish-family-stranded-in-peru-enjoy-kindness-of-strangers-1.4214116

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭josip

I have a 3M respirator mask in the car similar to the one Wibbs posted a pic of that he has some time back, protective eye wear and Vinyl gloves.

If I encounter a checkpoint I will signal for them to wait one minute, put on my mask, glasses and gloves and then engage with them.

I've a balaclava.

UK cases up 3,009

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shelly66

Parents act responsibly please for sake of your kids. Just walked dog along Fairview and park full of people. Ok if doing your daily walk but there are families with kids at skateboard area bikes skateboards all playing, touching railings etc on it . Others in groups playing basketball. Can they not cop on too the new restrictions and how important it is for everyone to play their part

Why not..? It was patients who had come into hospital for reasons unrelated to COVID, car crash, heart attack, etc.

Because many of them are already immunocompromised due to their injuries/conditions. Plus a hospitals are hotspots due to healthcare workers being much more exposed to the virus.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement