Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭josip

frillyleaf wrote: »
    What do you mean to drop something small? Are you restricting drawings etc going into the house? I would have liked to do that for older relations but I’m nervous sending pages or anything the virus could live on to their house

If you're worried, put them in a letter and hold off for a day before you post it without touching the envelope.
    Assuming a post box is on your exercise route.

New York's Governor Cuomo says they have seen the biggest surge in the rate of hospitalisations in the last 24 hours.

Meanwhile

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1244977299486883840

That's the level

It's still early he could go lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Palmach wrote: »
    Unlikely. Things seem to be improving. I for one think we are restricted enough and will not be complying with further unnecessary restrictions.

Yeahhh...... That's not how it works.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Unlikely. Things seem to be improving. I for one think we are restricted enough and will not be complying with further unnecessary restrictions.
    You're not allowed to kick old people in the back of the head when they're out shopping either. You might as well do that too, you big rebel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Cody montana

“CNN anchor @ChrisCuomo has been diagnosed with Covid-19. The network just informed staffers in New York. Chris is feeling well, and will continue anchoring from home.“

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

josip wrote: »
    They are not "almost at breaking point".
    Do you even know how many ICU beds there are in Ireland?

96% of ICU beds were filled pre virus https://www.rte.ie/amp/1114690/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

rossie1977 wrote: »

ICU beds are nearly always at capacity, the level of patient crisis dictates that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,913 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

is_that_so wrote: »
    Lockdowns in Italy and Spain are starting to get to people - that 4 week limit, which has been mentioned in our own briefings.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/tempers-fray-as-coronavirus-lockdown-fatigue-hits-italy-and-spain-1.4216812

Sure, ‘ getting to them ‘....I’d rather be bored, pissed off and isolated than struggling for breath in a hospital ward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,322 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Not only leisure cruises affected.
    Captain of American aircraft carrier pleads for evacuation
    The captain of the US aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt has told the Pentagon that the coronavirus is spreading uncontrollably through his ship and called for immediate help to quarantine its huge crew, two US newspapers reported today.
    Captain Brett Crozier wrote in a four-page letter that they had not been able to stem the spread of the COVID-9 virus through the 4,000 crewmembers, describing a dire situation aboard the huge vessel now docked at Guam.
    "We are not at war. Sailors do not need to die," Crozier wrote, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.
    "The spread of the disease is ongoing and accelerating," Crozier wrote, referring to the ship's "inherent limitations of space."
    He asked to be able to quarantine nearly the entire crew onshore at Guam, saying keeping them all on board the ship was an "unnecessary risk."
    The Chronicle said that more than 100 aboard the warship had been confirmed infected with Covid-19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

“CNN anchor @ChrisCuomo has been diagnosed with Covid-19. The network just informed staffers in New York. Chris is feeling well, and will continue anchoring from home.“

He is NY mayor brother

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Oh no, not Fredo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,404 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The HSE is raising ICU bed provision to between 500 and 700 by Easter weekend, mainly through the private hospital facilities freeing up space in the tertiary public hospitals

Do keep up.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    He is NY mayor brother

Yes I know.

America is in big trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Mortality rate in Italy is now 11.7%.

Even higher in reality as so many are not treated and due at home. Multiples according to Italian Doctors.

The disease is manageable in small numbers but shocking outside a certain level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Looks like WrestleMania (WWE) still going ahead this weekend without crowd and some superstars, two day event, Vince never lets anything get in his way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Tell me how things are improving when deaths keep going up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Our hospitals are almost at breaking point with over 120 cases in ICU. Italy has over 4000 in a serious/critical condition.

There will be more restrictions. For how long, I don't know.

How much more restrictions can there be? Not going to the bloody shops? Because that's the only possibly reason for community transmission at the moment.

rossie1977 wrote: »

Cancelling elective procedures shortly after, has meant that a lot of those beds remained free once they were no longer occupied.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0316/1123584-hospitals-move-to-cancel-appointments-elective-surgery/

• Advertisement

Tell me how things are improving when deaths keep going up?

They are a lagging indicator.

Looks like WrestleMania (WWE) still going ahead this weekend without crowd and some superstars, two day event, Vince never lets anything get in his way

Him and Trump are mates, aren't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

He's like a pound shop Trump that fella.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Me old man is over 70 and wants to get his pension Friday is there some waiver form we can get to keep him indoors.

Cheers for any info

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

The most unfunny man in the universe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

I would say 100% compliance here where I am in a very built up part of Drogheda. I really dont understand this "people still out partying" stuff.... really?

Anywhere I have gone is eerily quiet, no kids out at all and there are 900 houses in my estate. I think people have really copped on .

I would also say that telling people they can only exercise within 2km means there WILL be a lot of people out in built up areas, you cant avoid it. For that reason I dont think the 2km rule has been thought through.

In my area, it's a lot quieter, but there are still people that aren't getting it. Still people walking around in twos, occasional families meeting people they know and stopping for the chats, older people clearly over 70 going for their walks. I have a feeling the guy in one of the apartments is still having people over (or he's gotten very loud of late).

But I think the aim of these restrictions is knowing that there will be a small percentage who will always flout the rules. It's annoying but as long as the vast majority of us adhere, it will help stop rampant spreading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

darced wrote: »

That's very funny :cool:

mean gene wrote: »
    Me old man is over 70 and wants to get his pension Friday is there some waiver form we can get to keep him indoors.

Cheers for any info

Yes, there's a temporary form that allows you to get 5 collections, not weeks.
    So you could stretch it out further if you collect a few weeks at a time.
    After that, there's a permanent form that needs witnessing by someone other than the collector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

This time will come to be remembered fondly as one where Irish lawns were the best kempt in the history of the state - a veritable golden age of lawn horticulture, probably to remain matchless until robots are commonplace and cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Stupid RTE player must have coronavirus.

John Oliver is brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Cheers for any info

Yes was just announced there is a form to allow someone collect it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭lalababa

Just to add to the chat about death rates. It's impossible to get any kind of clear picture, because no country knows how many are infected. The closest and best example of a country who might know is China. Because of their lock downs and testing parameters. The university of Hong Kong used the figures in Wuhan and came up with 1.4%. That is for every 100 people infected (male/female/young/old/ill/healthy) ,1.4 of them die.
    In the case of Ireland , we are led to believe that over the next year 50% of the pop. will contract c-19. And more the next year and so on. 1.4% of 4.7/2 million is 33,000. This is probably a worst case scenario r.e. the infection rate.
    Normally there are 50,000 deaths annually.
    I suspect infection rates will be kept below this 50% number throughout the year with various restrictions, and later through the availability of a vaccine. :)

YFlyer wrote: »

Its certainly suffering the effects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Danzy wrote: »
    Even higher in reality as so many are not treated and due at home. Multiples according to Italian Doctors.

The disease is manageable in small numbers but shocking outside a certain level.

that doesn't make the mortality rate higher, it indicates that there may 100k+ undiagnosed in Italy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

The Braveheart spirit!

He is NY mayor brother

Governor of NY State.

Bill de Blasio is the city Mayor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭chasm

Cheers for any info

Info and form here:

https://www.anpost.com/Coronavirus/Social-Welfare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There have been some amount bizarre, and completely fabricated, statements appearing on these threads, this is right up there with the maddest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

I disagree. The UK said that some kind of social distancing would be required for 6 months. Personally I think that will mean that retail reopens with distancing principles applied, cafes and restaurants reopen with rules on spacing of tables, non essential businesses reopen but working from home is still recommended for office workers, and places that promote social gatherings will remain closed (ie pubs are shut and sport is behind closed doors). Travel around the country will be relaxed so people can go to beaches and parks again. Gatherings of greater than x people will be prohibited and can be closed down by the police. And periodically we might see tightening again for periods of a couple of weeks

I get what your saying, this is possible future, but only after an extra two weeks of lockdown, at least. Hopefully at Easter Monday, we might be able to see that we are on the right direction towards an eventual peak of the curve, but ending lockdown would negate that completely. There is no way the medical council will advise to end lockdown.

The emergency covid payment is for a maximum of 3 months, I wouldn't be surprised if we were in lockdown for that time. Its really inconvenient, on me and literally every other person, but if we can avoid scenes like we have seen in Spain and Italy, it will be completely worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

YFlyer wrote: »

It's a Petri dish for every virus going. It's almost as if it's designed to fail.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

frillyleaf wrote: »
    What do you mean to drop something small? Are you restricting drawings etc going into the house? I would have liked to do that for older relations but I’m nervous sending pages or anything the virus could live on to their house

No she was bringing something over to us! You can’t keep her in the house, she’s refusing to do her shopping in the safe hours, have it delivered or allow us or her neighbours to do it for her. She had the bloody house painted last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

The fact that it looks like Wimbledon will be cancelled shows the reality of the length of these shutdowns.

Wimbledon cancellation means still in lockdown in July!!!

Christ....

I give it 2 beeks before the British grand Prix is canned too. It apparently takes them 12 weeks to have everything ready so the cutoff point is second week of April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Turkey is the next Italy..2700 more cases today and nearly 50 deaths, 25% growth in cases on yesterday for the third day in a row and almost 30% growth in deaths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Yes, the wording on gov.ie is clear. If what they *actually* meant was, number of patients currently in ICU, it is very sloppy use of language. This is highly unlikely - the wording will have been carefully chosen and there will be reasoning behind it.

It is very likely that there is some sort of game being played here - possibly to inflate the numbers in ICU to avoid complacency among the public, knowing full well that stupid journalists would misinterpret plain English and "do their dirty work for them".

It's also possible that there will be a subtle change in the wording on gov.ie depending on what message they want to put out and on how things are going.

This is all par for the course for the likes of the HSE.

I don’t believe that they are inflating the numbers. The reason that the death rates are so high in Italy and Spain is that once patients go to ICU and/or on a ventilator, they are NOT getting better, thereby clogging up the ICU beds for weeks on end. It’s like a traffic jam that is never cleared.

While it is early days here, I have heard from an ICU nurse that the pattern is shaping up to be the same, ICU beds filling up and not emptying, people stuck on ventilators. If anything, I think the government and health authorities are softening the message so as not to expose us to the full horror of what’s unfolding in our ICU’s right now. It’s clear that they want us to stay at home, and that is the reason, the system will collapse very quickly if numbers keep rising as they still doing :(

In my opinion there is no possibility of the restrictions being lifted for several months.

UK eyeing 6 months, Italy eyeing June. Most governments are simply not telling people the truth in relation to that.

This "two weeks" stuff, "Easter", "end of April" - that's all completely unrealistic.

Open up and we'll be locked down again with an explosion in cases within days.

In that way we are effectively trapped until we have a vaccine.

If you look at Italy for example and the horror they go through - it's flattening out for them but that's only because they have placed an artificial lid on it through a lockdown.

As I said before it's like a pressure cooker - remove the lid and undo everything.

We need a proven tested vaccine ultimately.

That's the desirable end solution. The intermediate solution is to lessen symptoms by some sort of antiviral drug and/or antibody plasma transfusion process to keep as many as possible from going severe/critical. Hopefully we might have some more solid indicators on this by the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It would be great if I lived alone but I don't. My housemate came out of their bedroom and into the kitchen, emptied the dishwasher without washing their hands. They presumed they was clean coming out of their bedroom, emptied the dishwasher and touched everything. If they had the virus, they were only transferring it to everything they were taking out and putting away. I'm doing so much cleaning, before, during and after I eat. Cleaning door knobs and presses, and washing hands as well. I've been fairly OCD lately with all this.

Honestly, talk to your housemate. Ask them to wash their hands more. Surely any reasonable person would be okay with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That's the desirable end solution. The intermediate solution is to lessen symptoms by some sort of antiviral drug/antibody plasma transfusion process to keep as many as possible from going severe/critical. Hopefully we might have some more solid indicators on this by the summer.
    Some clinical trials are expected to report in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

I get what your saying, this is possible future, but only after an extra two weeks of lockdown, at least. Hopefully at Easter Monday, we might be able to see that we are on the right direction towards an eventual peak of the curve, but ending lockdown would negate that completely. There is no way the medical council will advise to end lockdown.

The emergency covid payment is for a maximum of 3 months, I wouldn't be surprised if we were in lockdown for that time. Its really inconvenient, on me and literally every other person, but if we can avoid scenes like we have seen in Spain and Italy, it will be completely worth it.

Interestingly the DEASP on their website now say the Covid-19 payment is for the "duration of the crisis"..I am nearly sure it said 12 weeks the last time I looked...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

New York's Governor Cuomo says they have seen the biggest surge in the rate of hospitalisations in the last 24 hours.

Meanwhile

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1244977299486883840

That's the level

Me, me, me, me, me. **** off Donald.
    Lillyfae wrote: »
    If it’s any consolation, your children and grandchildren feel the same and are thinking of you. My boyfriends mother was on the phone a few hours begging to drop “something small” off outside and he had to get really tough with her about the reality of the situation. It was heartbreaking for all of us, but she’s taking too many risks and needed to hear it.

We miss her madly, but we also want her to be here for cuddles and chats and cups of tea when this is all over.

I've been keeping away from my Mam for a while, about a month or so now (Partially I don't want to bring anything down, and partially because I'm not a good son that visits all the time, even thought I should). The hardest thing I've had to hear in this poxy virus thing is that she got a couple of Mothers Day cards through the post, opened them with gloves and a scarf on, then immediately burned them, rather than displaying them proudly, as she normally would. It was also the first Mothers day she was totally on her own, Dad died 15 years ago, but there's always been most of us knocking about.

She's planning a big hoolie at the house when this is all over, sons, daughters, son's in law, daughters in law, ex daughters in law, grandkids (and boy and girlfriends), great grandkids, the whole shebang.

But I really want a hug from Mammy right now, and it's killing me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement