Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Quite a high % of people are incapable of thinking for themselves outside the realms of basics.

By nature most people are sheep who need to be led.

You can see these sheep bleating whenever anyone mentions abiding by the reasoning behind the lockdown but not the letter of the directives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

lalababa wrote: »
    Just to add to the chat about death rates. It's impossible to get any kind of clear picture, because no country knows how many are infected. The closest and best example of a country who might know is China. Because of their lock downs and testing parameters. The university of Hong Kong used the figures in Wuhan and came up with 1.4%. That is for every 100 people infected (male/female/young/old/ill/healthy) ,1.4 of them die.
    In the case of Ireland , we are led to believe that over the next year 50% of the pop. will contract c-19. And more the next year and so on. 1.4% of 4.7/2 million is 33,000. This is probably a worst case scenario r.e. the infection rate.
    Normally there are 50,000 deaths annually.
    I suspect infection rates will be kept below this 50% number throughout the year with various restrictions, and later through the availability of a vaccine. :)

The mortality rate for Hubei Province (Including Wuhan) is currently at 4.7%.

I don't believe the Chinese figures either way...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

EUczm5eXkAIvNMY?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,534 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

mean gene wrote: »
    Me old man is over 70 and wants to get his pension Friday is there some waiver form we can get to keep him indoors.

Cheers for any info

You can get permission to collect on someone's behalf, that's a pre-covid-19 thing.

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/451fd7-authority-to-appoint-an-agent/

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

Chris Cuomo of CNN ( and Governor Cuomo’s brother) has tested positive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

That's the desirable end solution. The intermediate solution is to lessen symptoms by some sort of antiviral drug and/or antibody plasma transfusion process to keep as many as possible from going severe/critical. Hopefully we might have some more solid indicators on this by the summer.

The most realistic short-term fix will be a treatment rather than a vaccine. Hopefully there is some drug in existence that will prove useful. If one is discovered, then the fun will be distributing it fairly amongst countries. Some will want to grab them all. The fairest way would be proportionately based on population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Just had a lovely Garda drop off my prescription to me. Cancer drugs and lovely painkillers. I am very grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

Interestingly the DEASP on their website now say the Covid-19 payment is for the "duration of the crisis"..I am nearly sure it said 12 weeks the last time I looked...

ooh, interesting. It definitely did say 12 weeks before...

shinny wrote: »
    EUczm5eXkAIvNMY?format=jpg&name=900x900

That is both uncannily accurate and also downright chilling. Probably the best Corona cartoon I’ve seen so far. Thanks for posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Irish teacher Ben Kavanagh gives his top tips for making the most of self-isolation - after being in lockdown from the COVID-19 coronavirus three times in three different countries.

He was teaching English in Wohan when he was locked down the first time, then quarantined in the UK on his return from China, and now is self isolating again in Dublin !

He waffles a bit but has some good tips on surviving this strange time for us all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Chris Cuomo of CNN ( and Governor Cuomo’s brother) has tested positive.

Poor Fredo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭threeball

So Paddy Cosgrove was posting sh1te on twitter. No nurses have died from Covid19 here. Dipstick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

if theres no positive results in 2 weeks time, think curtain will drop and people will take their chances, i get some enjoy this kumba ya isolation forever no work no worries attitude, but realistically if 2 weeks dont give enough leverage whats the point in keeping going same route, social distancing and some ppe seems about as effective. Doubt any government in the world will say sure lock it down till there's cure found, stupid and pointless all together. even if there was no cases someone immune could spread it and in theory this could go on for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

8,470 new cases so far today in New York (208 deaths)

I'm pretty sure that's the highest daily new case count so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Interestingly the DEASP on their website now say the Covid-19 payment is for the "duration of the crisis"..I am nearly sure it said 12 weeks the last time I looked...

So is the crisis, this 2 week lock down, the 12 weeks as previously advertised, or as long as this problem occurs?

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    The mortality rate for Hubei Province (Including Wuhan) is currently at 4.7%.

I don't believe the Chinese figures either way...

The UK governments science advisors, probably a cover for Intelligence sources, believe the Chinese have probably under reported their figures which may be as much as 40 times worse. Basing anything on China's figures is an absolute waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

scamalert wrote: »
    if theres no positive results in 2 weeks time, think curtain will drop and people will take their chances, i get some enjoy this kumba ya isolation forever no work no worries attitude, but realistically if 2 weeks dont give enough leverage whats the point in keeping going same route, social distancing and some ppe seems about as effective. Doubt any government in the world will say sure lock it down till there's cure found, stupid and pointless all together. even if there was no cases someone immune could spread it and in theory this could go on for years.

Well numbers of new cases seem to have fallen in Italy and they are around 3 weeks of lockdown now. Obviously they need to stay locked down for a while longer.

Why do you say 2 weeks?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

chasm wrote: »

Cheers for that

Messaging from U.K. news media is still confusing and muddled. ITV news just stated that 28 of the U.K. deaths “had no underlying conditions”

This doesn’t make any sense - how come some healthy people recover and others die?

Anyone got a more sensible explanation for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

threeball wrote: »
    So Paddy Cosgrove was posting sh1te on twitter. No nurses have died from Covid19 here. Dipstick.

Didn't the IT report a nurse dying last week?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭mouldybiscuits

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Mortality rate in Italy is now 11.7%.

I'm sure the vast majority of people who are mildly sick aren't getting diagnosed because of the massive strain on the health system. The mortality rate certainly isn't going to be accurate in this case.

He has really made a tit of himself these last couple of weeks on Twitter.

Hard to believe he was kind of looked up to before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

ooh, interesting. It definitely did say 12 weeks before...

Says 12 weeks on Citizensinformation.ie which you would imagine is slower to update

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Didn't the IT report a nurse dying last week?

Hse said no nurses have died. Cosgrove said more than one had died.

cnocbui wrote: »
    The UK governments scicience advisors, probably a cover for Intelligence sources, believe the Chinese have probably under reported their figures which may be as much as 40 times worse. Basing anything on China's figures is an absolute waste of time.

Apparently, from midnight tonight they are going to be releasing daily figures for asymptomatic cases (following growing anger from abroad).

This should be be very telling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭mouldybiscuits

Messaging from U.K. news media is still confusing and muddled. ITV news just stated that 28 of the U.K. deaths “had no underlying conditions”

This doesn’t make any sense - how come some healthy people recover and others die?

Everyone reacts differently to infection. Some healthy people die from all kinds of illnesses that other healthy people recover from.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

Department briefing moved to 7.30

I repeat, 7.30!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭cosanostra

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-healthcare-worker-in-republic-dies-after-contracting-virus-1.4213892

He has really made a tit of himself these last couple of weeks on Twitter.

Hard to believe he was kind of looked up to before this.

Hes used the crisis for self promotion and talking about his rich mates from what ive seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

mean gene wrote: »
    Me old man is over 70 and wants to get his pension Friday is there some waiver form we can get to keep him indoors.

Cheers for any info

He would have got 2 weeks last Friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭Be right back

Hse said no nurses have died. Cosgrove said more than one had died.

He said 4 had died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

irishlad. wrote: »

I repeat, 7.30!

What time? ;)

France

7,578 new cases

499 new deaths

Worst day yet for France by some distance.

The UK governments scicience advisors, probably a cover for Intelligence sources, believe the Chinese have probably under reported their figures which may be as much as 40 times worse. Basing anything on China's figures is an absolute waste of time.

You can take it as a given that a “U.K. government scientist” has a certain degree of interaction with their intelligence services, if not actually being a part of it.

It’s the same Stateside - NSA/CIA/DARPA are crammed with “government scientists” doing intelligence led research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,534 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

scamalert wrote: »

There's the problem. There will still be mounting fatalities in two weeks time, the restrictions are only going to reduce that rate, not stop it. People who don't understand that, or who just don't want to stay at home, are going to claim that any level of infection proves that the restrictions haven't worked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

cosanostra wrote: »

Just as I thought --> healthcare worker =/= nurse. Not much different, but different enough not to make a liar our of the HSE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Didn't Leo say a nurse had died in one of his speeches?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

I'm sure the vast majority of people who are mildly sick aren't getting diagnosed because of the massive strain on the health system. The mortality rate certainly isn't going to be accurate in this case.

Yeah I don't think the mortality rate will come in close to that in the end but it is still increasing.

I think the ~1% figures are conservative and possibly only achievable in a developed country with low rate of infection. The mortality appears to sky rocket when healthcare systems get overwhelmed.

But yes we have no idea how many people are truly infected until we see widespread community testing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

theres always going to be statistical outliers who truly are healthy and who will die, and obviously the more infections increase the more of these will happen. Thats why I dont get why some young people are being so cavalier about becoming infected. You dont know that you wont be one of the unlucky ones. I certainly wouldnt want to take the chance.

Also at least one of the "no underlying conditions" people that I saw was obese. I think being overweight is definitely a risk factor for more severe outcomes.

antodeco wrote: »
    Its really scary if 133 ICU patients mean we are under severe pressure...
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    103 in ICU as of yesterday in ROI according to Virgin Media News and that some private hospitals have already been treating public patients

Accumulated since the start, media misreporting.

These are not the numbers currently in ICU, the hse only reports accumulated numbers.

Apparently, from midnight tonight they are going to be releasing daily figures for asymptomatic cases (following growing anger from abroad).

This should be be very telling...

Not quite the same thing as stating that , well actually, to be perfectly frank, 132,000 people died in Wuhan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

France

7,578 new cases

499 new deaths

You have a fetish for the bad news. Did you post their 2,600 new cases a few days ago, a major drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Not quite the same thing as stating that , well actually, to be perfectly frank, 132,000 people died in Wuhan.

Source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

The UK governments science advisors, probably a cover for Intelligence sources, believe the Chinese have probably under reported their figures which may be as much as 40 times worse. Basing anything on China's figures is an absolute waste of time.

You can definitely trust the UK intelligence services on that one. Not known to lie about their ideological enemies.

France

7,578 new cases

499 new deaths

Last daily high for new cases was on the 28th of March with 4,611 cases.

Last daily high for fatalities was yesterday with 418 recorded deaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

irishlad. wrote: »

I repeat, 7.30!

OMG I don't like this, bad news

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

rss.tribunecontentagency.com20200330edhan-a-1024x691.tifampp-cf11da7a606341e7ed43ef921673d478453ec5dc

FVP3 wrote: »
    You have a fetish for the bad news. Did you post their 2,600 new cases a few days ago, a major drop?

No, did you?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement