Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

threeball wrote: »
    So Paddy Cosgrove was posting sh1te on twitter. No nurses have died from Covid19 here. Dipstick.

Who was the healthcare worker that Leo said died?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

To be fair Sen. Tom Cotton also said the same and he's quite sane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Accumulated since the start, media misreporting.

These are not the numbers currently in ICU, the hse only reports accumulated numbers.

I don't think that's the case, the reports today were from Dr Motherway who is the President of intensive care association Ireland. The quotes very much implied these were the current numbers.

No, did you?

I dont trawl through the statistics to post the worst news though. Why do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    OMG I don't like this, bad news

No, just delayed as is the norm lately.

They're busy is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

darced wrote: »
    Who was the healthcare worker that Leo said died?

Did Leo base this assertion on an Irish Times story?

Accumulated since the start, media misreporting.

These are not the numbers currently in ICU, the hse only reports accumulated numbers.

Sorry Nox, would love to believe you as a fellow optimist on this but.... the numbers fell yesterday so it cant be cumulative.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭deaglan1

This is not meant to be a criticism in any way, just curiosity. Are the stats for this country relating to a different daily time frame to other European countries? Stats are released in the evening while almost every other European country release their figures much earlier in the day. The reset time at worldometer is midnight GMT 00 which would suggest that an evening release would reflect daily figures better than a morning release, yet for almost every other country, stats are supplied very early in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Sorry if already been asked...What time numbers been released 2day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

domrush wrote: »
    Source

Maths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Alot of ghouls on here looking for bad news.

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    I don't think that's the case, the reports today were from Dr Motherway who is the President of intensive care association Ireland. The quotes very much implied these were the current numbers.

She is either purposely or accidentally misreporting then. I have heard plenty of doctors quoting the hse accumulated numbers in ICU as “currently in ICU”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Irish teacher Ben Kavanagh gives his top tips for making the most of self-isolation - after being in lockdown from the COVID-19 coronavirus three times in three different countries.

He was teaching English in Wohan when he was locked down the first time, then quarantined in the UK on his return from China, and now is self isolating again in Dublin !

He waffles a bit but has some good tips on surviving this strange time for us all.

I watched some of Ben videos before and liked him but i think we have found the cause of covid19 it's Ben, anywhere he goes it follows, time to deport him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Alot of ghouls on here looking for bad news.

Some people don't have much of a life to hold onto so they're only delighted to see the world go down the ****ter, as that's the way they were going anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭mouldybiscuits

scamalert wrote: »
    if theres no positive results in 2 weeks time, think curtain will drop and people will take their chances, i get some enjoy this kumba ya isolation forever no work no worries attitude, but realistically if 2 weeks dont give enough leverage whats the point in keeping going same route, social distancing and some ppe seems about as effective. Doubt any government in the world will say sure lock it down till there's cure found, stupid and pointless all together. even if there was no cases someone immune could spread it and in theory this could go on for years.
    2 weeks is very short time for this situation, I'd imagine that will be extended. It's sounding like our hospitals are already very busy with coronavirus patients and removing restrictions too early would just lead to cases blowing up again. It might sound stupid or pointless to you but as long as we keep up these restrictions our hospitals might be able to cope with the numbers and people who would have died due to hospitals being overrun will get a chance of survival.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

statesaver wrote: »
    The standard of journalism in this country is appalling.

How so, exactly? Without saying, 'because of that IT story', if you don't mind.

FVP3 wrote: »
    Sorry Nox, would love to believe you as a fellow optimist on this but.... the numbers fell yesterday so it cant be cumulative.

They didn’t fall yesterday they have increased everyday since the beginning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

eastmayo wrote: »
    Its on the sticky at the top of this forum. Its updated when we know. 7:30pm its says today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Can we just get rid of the sports segment on the news already? There’s no sport on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

eastmayo wrote: »

7.30pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I post good news when it's genuinely positive news. There is not much positive news out there at the moment unfortunately to post.

When there is I'll post it.

I posted earlier how Florida had only 6 deaths today despite being a glorified old folks home.

That's positive. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Can we just get rid of the sports segment on the news already? There’s no sport on!

Morning Ireland ditched their sport bulletins, but it remains on the 6.1 and Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

8,470 new cases so far today in New York (208 deaths)

I'm pretty sure that's the highest daily new case count so far.

I lived in Manhattan for a few years many moons ago so this makes me sad. I know it will be the same in many worldwide cities but if the lockdown continues there until June/July time it's going to need the army on the streets to enforce it.

With the heat often getting up to 38c and stupid high humidity people aren't going to want to stay in Manhattans shoe box apartments for any length of time.

With that much people inside the power grid would most likely go down with the amount of air conditioning units on 24/7 also. That said much of Manhattan has been gentrified over the last 20 years so it maybe not as much a problem in the city as the boroughs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

spookwoman wrote: »
    She is either purposely or accidentally misreporting then. I have heard plenty of doctors quoting the hse accumulated numbers in ICU as “currently in ICU”.

where are you hearing the numbers are accumulative?

Exactly. Some people are just craving a bad news fix, another half-hour and they're practically foaming at the mouth.

I’m finding the constant time changing very annoying. The briefing should be the same time every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Maybe he's just not clutching straws by focusing on obvious outliers that don't match the trends. Numbers obviously caused by things like testing backlogs or weekend figures (tested or analysed) or any other reasons that might pump out such results.
    We're not doom merchants because we focus on bad numbers. The numbers are what they are, being aware of them helps us (some of us at least) plot where we think we are and where things are headed.
    Obviously getting lower numbers over a week or more would be great and show the trend shift. That's what we want to see.

Morning Ireland ditched their sport bulletins, but it remains on the 6.1 and Virgin.

"Over to you Sean for the sport."

"Thanks Eileen, here's Mary with the weather".

cosanostra wrote: »
    Yep

No, he did not. He said a health care worker died. Not all health care workers are nurses. These include psychologists, SALT, OTs, physiotherapists, play therapists and many more.

More to the point. Paddy Cosgrave is an absolute blagard and I'll explain why. I have a colleague (nurse) who was seriously ill with COVID-19. When he dropped his tweet this morning saying that 4 nurses had died. A lot of my colleagues thought one of them must be our colleague.

So Mr. Cosgrave blatant lying actually caused a lot of people on the frontline to be upset this morning which may have impacted patient care. It's demoralising having somebody like Paddy causing divisions at a time when we need to be united.

and finally...

PLEASE STOP LYING PADDY!

where are you hearing the numbers are accumulative?

Just read the hse report everyday they are clearly showing that the numbers are accumulated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

It's a bad news story. Want do you want reports of disneyland opening back up for parades?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Nearly 3000 people have died in Europe so far today...I feel actually sick to my stomach, its just so many lives its hard to comprehend ..:(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭Be right back

No, he did not. He said a health care worker died. Not all health care workers are nurses. These include psychologists, SALT, OTs, physiotherapists, play therapists and many more.

More to the point. Paddy Cosgrave is an absolute blagard and I'll explain why. I have a colleague (nurse) who was seriously ill with COVID-19. When he dropped his tweet this morning saying that 4 nurses had died. A lot of my colleagues thought one of them must be our colleague.

So Mr. Cosgrave blatant lying actually caused a lot of people on the frontline to be upset this morning which may have impacted patient care. It's demoralising having somebody like Paddy causing divisions at a time when we need to be united.

and finally...

PLEASE STOP LYING PADDY!

Hope your colleague will be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I’m finding the constant time changing very annoying. The briefing should be the same time every night.

This is a joke, right?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Meh, Tony's late again. :cool:

Or it's taking longer to get their stories straight and remember what to say so people can't nitpick :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Just read the hse report everyday they are clearly showing that the numbers are accumulated.

The numbers are currently in ICU not accumulated.

Hope your colleague will be ok.

Me too, mate. Me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

FLOOPER wrote: »
    The numbers are currently in ICU not accumulated.

Wow thanks for clearing it up, what a clear and helpful source you’ve posted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Irish people not wanting to face up to unpleasant news; now there's a first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    OMG I don't like this, bad news

The amount of people here who begin their posts with OMG, DEAR GOD, JESUS, etc, is incredible.

italytues.png?itok=e6D-XiKa

Is this the point the lock down finally has a real effect in Italy? You can see the rate of increase clearly moderating in terms of new cases. Looks like these are the key days now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

I wish some media would actually push them on some of these questions, are there any decent journalists in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭Be right back

Me too, mate. Me too.

Paddy had a lot of people worry needlessly and sad thing, he will claim he was right to post that tweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Paddy had a lot of people worry needlessly and sad thing, he will claim he was right to post that tweet.

He's a complete asshole who needs to STFU asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Maybe there’s crossed wires.

You stated:

And I asked how are you qualified to say that no further restrictions are needed.

Do you have some involvement with the emergency response coordination?

If you are, or are qualified in that area, it would be great to hear more from an expert.

Thanks.

There's definitely crossed wires. You don't have to be a medical or legal expert to suggest that restrictions are pointless without consequences for those who break them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

domrush wrote: »
    Wow thanks for clearing it up, what a clear and helpful source you’ve posted

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/ireland/

103 active cases serious or critical (ICU)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,546 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There has been a suspected case of Coronavirus located in Blackrock, Co.Dublin. Emergency services had attended a location outside a house along the Blackrock by-pass in Temple Road just after 4pm this afternoon. <SNIP>

Now what I am posting is obviously unverified information. If anyone living near the house wants to say that this information is not true. That is fine with me as long as we are informed about it. When this crisis has unfolded only weeks ago; I didn't want to take the risk of walking outside that house because I didn't want to get the virus spread onto me & onto other people as I went home. I took the instant precaution of turning around straight away & walked back onto another road to make my journey home instead which was the right thing to do under the circumstances. Just a word of advice to you all. If you do see any emergency service personnel outside someone's property on your travels. Just be very careful in avoiding the virus being spread onto you whenever you do see them. Follow the official medical advice from our government & the HSE & self isolate at home immediately if you ever get symptoms.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Inquitus wrote: »
    He's a complete asshole who needs to STFU asap.

I wish people would stop talking about this nomark , never friggin heard of him until a couple of days ago and now I fkin hate him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭1641

sterz wrote: »
    The amount of people here who begin their posts with OMG, DEAR GOD, JESUS, etc, is incredible.

OMG.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Must Watch

Italy are taking a new approach in the South to stop healthcare workers from getting infected with the disease. - Apparently they have found a way to eliminate any of their staff getting the disease.

Report below - it's fascinating to watch.
    https://news.sky.com/iframe/widget/video/4959481

Advance warning that it's probably the most extreme thing you've ever seen in a healthcare setting - but shows the way forward if you have the equipment and the money.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement