Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

I'm very curious as to why they haven't been able to run more tests . They are firing money around like mad at the moment so it can't be that.

Shortage of reagent needed to complete the tests. It’s a global shortage so there’s not enough to go around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

threeball wrote: »
    Cases finally falling in Italy but rocketing in the US. They're up at 17000 for the day with not all states reported. Thats almost one third of the entire reported global cases.

It will get far higher than that over the next few weeks. Trump will still try to gloss over it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

sdanseo wrote: »
    So if I'm reading that right, there are only 26 COVID-19 related cases on ventilators? (107 being the total for all reasons).

That's an very low statistic if so. 0.81% of active cases needing ventilation thus far (total probably closer to 2.7%, however, if you assume the 59 who died in hospital all required one too)

I read that the other way around 107 are on ventilators and there are 26 others in ICU suspected of having Covid-19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,068 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I'm very curious as to why they haven't been able to run more tests . They are firing money around like mad at the moment so it can't be that.

Very specialized labs have to do them. 1 can not be knocked up in a month never mind a day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    This^ the other 26 are also in ICU but don't require ventilators yet (and hopefully won't). That was my reading of the figures anyway.

The other 107 are on ventilators and in ICU beds.

Yeah. Maybe this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Can't get the kits for the labs they said, it's a worldwide problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Why does it effect two similar people in different ways, take for example two confirmed cases, both around the same age, both healthy with no underlying conditions, yet one might have very mild symptoms and the other might end up in ICU, could it have anything to do with the load of infection, i.e one gets a large dose and the body does'nt have time to react? Has anyone come across any research done on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭flashforward

Good question. They mentioned the reagents - it's obviously a challenging market but other countries are managing to up their testing capacity.

Maybe it suits some people to keep the number of daily cases artificially low???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭Talisman

It seems like it’s some kind of morbid race to see who can be first to shout the bad news, instead of waiting for the press conference so that the rest of us can see numbers that we can trust
    The media presentation is just them presenting the numbers officially but they are published earlier on the HSPC website.

COVID-19 Health Surveillance Monitor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Whats your point here?

They tested 5000 by swabbing people

A test without a result is of little use to us when we're in an emergency

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

tuxy wrote: »
    What's more common in my area is people standing in one spot, usually in the way of people trying to walk.
    Just looking around at random things in the hope of spotting something interesting. It looks so odd.

OK

As long as they moved before the 15 min limit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It isn't for the lack of trying. They don't have the equipment at present to scale the tests would be my guess.

That or the people. But if they never had the people they wouldn't be able to claim that they could scale the tests.

It will get far higher than that over the next few weeks. Trump will still try to gloss over it though.

And apparently they are sending money and help to Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,698 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It is clearly a cumulative number if you read the report:

Total number of cases 2677
    Total number hospitalised 703
    Total number admitted to ICU 113
    Total number of deaths 64
    Total number of healthcare workers 674
    Number clusters notified 118
    Median age 47

You won't give up and just admit you are wrong - confirmed from multiple sources it is that day's figure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭JoChervil

The virus needs new people to infect, otherwise it dies.

If everyone stayed more than 2 meters away from one another for 2 weeks the virus would have nowhere to go, and the pandemic would stop dead.

We will not have a vaccine for 12 to 18 months so new antiviral meds or re-purposing known meds are the best short term hope for mitigating the outbreak.

But people are sick longer than 2 weeks, so it won't die in 2 weeks, see how many haven't recover yet from this cruise ship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,040 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Jnj ramping up for production of a vaccine by September. They are trying to take the time to produce mass numbers out of it. If enough giant companies do this it may reduce the wait time by 6 to 9 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭threeball

He cant bluff his way out of this one. Even the republicans are turning on him. His ex press secretary was on Sky earlier and he was none too complementary either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

The virus needs new people to infect, otherwise it dies.

If everyone stayed more than 2 meters away from one another for 2 weeks the virus would have nowhere to go, and the pandemic would stop dead.

We will not have a vaccine for 12 to 18 months so new antiviral meds or re-purposing known meds are the best short term hope for mitigating the outbreak.

People are still working, can’t stop that. People still having to get groceries, etc. Also, there are overlaps so someone picks it up, goes home to a family of 5 and, while unlikely, it could in theory take 10 weeks to chain along the family.

Unfortunately it cannot be eradicated by everyone laying low for any amount of time. Because not everyone can do that

Very specialized labs have to do them. 1 can not be knocked up in a month never mind a day

Why not hire some of the equipment off the pharmacutical industry/hire some.their staff??

I know of 2 large pharma factories,which are effectively closed at the min

• Advertisement

They've been knocked up in far less time in a month around the world, and we've had known cases outside of China for well over a month.

gabeeg wrote: »
    A test without a result is of little use to us when we're in an emergency

But they are testing people. When I go and get my bloods done I say I am getting tests I don't wait until I get the results to say I got a test today. All you are trying to do is mix words for a narrative does not seem to be working on most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

They could run it 24 hours a day while they are getting another one up and running. Surely there are 10/15 people in the country who can run one.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭1wizards sleeve

The Dublin mountain walkers numbers are adding up now. I'd also love to know how many people got this virus by rushing like absolute greedy ignorant fools to do huge shops and packing into supermarkets. Hoarding loo roll and rice and pasta

Critically ill patients with Covid19 in Ireland will be asked to take part in a clinical trial on how to treat the disease.

The trial will test the effects of different interventions for Covid 19 patients, who are being treated in intensive care units.

These interventions include antiviral drugs and immunomodulatory drugs.

St Vincent's University Hospital in Dublin and University Hospital Galway will begin the trialing these interventions next week, which is part of a global research effort to tackle the pandemic.

Other hospitals, including Beaumont Hospital, Cork University Hospital, University Hospital Limerick and the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast are also expected to take part in the trial at a later date.

RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

lawred2 wrote: »
    100% that

But also people just want out of their house on their own for some exercise...

It's so low risk as to be irrelevant.

Maybe those so bothered would be better served with a bit of exercise themselves.

Yeah
    Got a lecture from a neighbour about this might happen, that might happen and you could land up taking a space in A&E if you go out exercising.

Stupid ignorant obese so&so standing there leaning on his gate smoking his brains out and his wife driving a mini Cooper like she is rallying.

Don't know if it's anxiety over the current threat or were there always so many hypocritical and dog ignorant twats in this country.

Personally, I'll take every step I can to behave responsibly but some lecturing so & so who is a lifelong problem to our health service through personal choice isn't going to lecture me.

Regarding runners, I see plenty round here. Can't see them in groups, haven't once seen one spitting, they move to the side opposite the one I move to.
    Hardly surprising, if they run, it's most likely they care about their health and thus do not want to take unnecessary risks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

There average testing per day rate now since the first case is about 910.

Last week the tested 10500 according to the press conference
    The week previous to that they tested just under 8000.

So this week they have said they tested 2500 more than last week or an increase of approx 357 per day over last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭flashforward

But they are testing people. When I go and get my bloods done I say I am getting tests I don't wait until I get the results to say I got a test today. All you are trying to do is mix words for a narrative does not seem to be working on most

Unfortunately 'most' are 5/8ths

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

blackcard wrote: »
    One of the learnings from the 2010 big freeze was to have sufficient salt available for our roads and this hasn't been an issue since. Some of the learnings from the current crisis?
    Sufficient ventilators?
    Additional Test kits?
    Sufficient reagents?
    Sufficient masks and other personal protection equipment?
    Additional measures for nursing homes?
    Measures such as perspex glass in shops?
    Hygiene education and practices?
    Increased numbers of ICU's?
    Increased capability to work from home?
    Not to believe a fraction of what you read on social media?
    Social distancing?
    What else?

Bog roll for the simpletons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Tandey

Fann Linn wrote: »
    People were swabbed because they were referred by their GPs who were following HSE guidelines.
    They didn't just rock up to Croker off their own bat to get tested.

No, they did off a bat from China.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

There does not seem to be any separation of COVID-19 infected patients from non-COVID-19 patients in ICUs and HDUs in Ireland is that correct?

Can't find any information available on physically separate units, all appear to be accommodated within existing structures.

This could become crucial going forward.

• Advertisement

A familiar story to us on PPE.
    The Canadian government aid it would spend C$2 billion to help buy supplies amid complaints from some doctors and nurses about shortages of personal protection equipment.

gabeeg wrote: »
    They've been knocked up in far less time in a month around the world, and we've had known cases outside of China for well over a month.

Knocked up labs or places to used for testing people. Labs can not be knocked up unless you have the specialized equipment and been calibrated to do the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

They've ran out of supplies several times afaik when taking scheduled swabs. That and a shortage of reagent to test swabs taken from those referred for testing.

There is currently a backlog of people awaiting their test results.

Looks like the system for swabbing / testing is not working particularly well tbh.

Critically ill patients with Covid19 in Ireland will be asked to take part in a clinical trial on how to treat the disease.

The trial will test the effects of different interventions for Covid 19 patients, who are being treated in intensive care units.

These interventions include antiviral drugs and immunomodulatory drugs.

St Vincent's University Hospital in Dublin and University Hospital Galway will begin the trialing these interventions next week, which is part of a global research effort to tackle the pandemic.

Other hospitals, including Beaumont Hospital, Cork University Hospital, University Hospital Limerick and the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast are also expected to take part in the trial at a later date.

RTE
    Is that part of the WHO megatrial?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Why does it effect two similar people in different ways, take for example two confirmed cases, both around the same age, both healthy with no underlying conditions, yet one might have very mild symptoms and the other might end up in ICU, could it have anything to do with the load of infection, i.e one gets a large dose and the body does'nt have time to react? Has anyone come across any research done on this?

Think I read somewhere that it’s down to individual immune systems, some go into overdrive and that’s what causes the issues.

The test isn't completed until the results are back.

If you go to a hospital and have blood removed from you then that does not mean you've had a test done. It just means they've taken your blood.

The actual testing is rather a crucial element of a ****ing test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,338 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

He already is....by pointing to viewing figures for the white House press conferences....I wish I was joking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

cajonlardo wrote: »
    some lecturing so & so... isn't going to lecture me.

And this folks is the type of specimen responsible for the forced measures that need to be taken restricting your lives.

Unfortunately some are just incapable of behaving responsibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Went to Tesco today. Guy outside wiping down a shopping trolley, then he calls his wife and she brings the kid over and puts him in the shopping trolley. Like wtf are you doing very bringing your wife and child of to the shop with you?
    Then in the shop he is handing lots of items to his child to put in the trolley.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Jnj ramping up for production of a vaccine by September. They are trying to take the time to produce mass numbers out of it. If enough giant companies do this it may reduce the wait time by 6 to 9 months.

If they share the licence with other big pharma it would be manufactured quick smart. I fear it won’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,487 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I've seen on another forum that the testing is not able to distinguish between COVID19 and the regular coronavirus, aka the common cold. This could explain the disparity in symptoms in many cases, it really is just a cold the person has.
    Would love to get a doctor's comment on that.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

bekker wrote: »
    There does not seem to be any separation of COVID-19 infected patients from non-COVID-19 patients in ICUs and HDUs in Ireland is that correct?

Can't find any information available on physically separate units, all appear to be accommodated within existing structures.

This could become crucial going forward.

I can't find any info and I'm not going to look for it.

Of course that isn't the case. Think about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

Fann Linn wrote: »
    People were swabbed because they were referred by their GPs who were following HSE guidelines.
    They didn't just rock up to Croker off their own bat to get tested.

Same doctors could only claim their €30 fee for referrals
    No referral no fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,698 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Supercell wrote: »
    I've seen on another forum that the testing is not able to distinguish between COVID19 and the regular coronavirus, aka the common cold. This could explain the disparity in symptoms in many cases, it really is just a cold the person has.
    Would love to get a doctor's comment on that.

The test is for this coronavirus not all coronavirus (probably got the info from twitter or whatsapp)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Brianmwalker

niallo27 wrote: »

Who in their right mind would take a vaccine with such limited testing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,040 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

If they share the licence with other big pharma it would be manufactured quick smart. I fear it won’t.

Well they are the ones pumping massive money in on something that might not even be useable so you have to expect them to profit off it. A company like jnj could mass produce easily.

Why not hire some of the equipment off the pharmacutical industry/hire some.their staff??

I know of 2 large pharma factories,which are effectively closed at the min

Do they have the specific equipment, are they calibrated for the tests. You can just hire someone off the streets and go here are tests to be prossessed. Here is a screenshot of what your looking for

fritzelly wrote: »
    You won't give up and just admit you are wrong - confirmed from multiple sources it is that day's figure

The numbers are clearly cumulative, just look at the damn numbers. They are all totals in every column! No one has confirmed they are the days figures in fact it was confirmed in yesterday's briefing they are cumulative when it was clearly stated that they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

To confirm they were never 'testing' 5000 per day.
    They were Swabbing 5000 per day

On the 23rd march they were get results at a rate of 1350/day

We are now at 1500/day

People can bury their heads in the sand all they want but we have no clue where we are with this thing.

All this push to open new test 'swabbing' centres with no capacity to convert these to results.....

It was all a PR exercise for Leo and Simon. And the majority fell for it.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    Is that part of the WHO megatrial?

Not sure

The trial involves research teams in Ireland, the UK, Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, Singapore, New Zealand, Australia and Canada, and they will share their data quickly.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0331/1127678-coronavirus-ireland-clinical-trials/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement