Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 crc_73

Who in their right mind would take a vaccine with such limited testing!

Life-sentence prisoners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Someone over 80.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,040 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Could be up to 9 months of testing before released. We have never experienced anything like this before. My point is they will produce before it's been cleared to use to reduce the wait time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

tuxy wrote: »
    What's more common in my area is people standing in one spot, usually in the way of people trying to walk.
    Just looking around at random things in the hope of spotting something interesting. It looks so odd.

Zombies. Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Tandey

Went to get some diesel earlier this evening. Went to an applegreen that has a Burger King open for business, within the building.

What I saw next I could not believe and had to do more than a double take. As I was parking a noticed a guy in the passenger seat of a SUV gobbling down some chips while wearing a pair of those surgical gloves. Must admit I did lol at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

And this folks is the type of specimen responsible for the forced measures that need to be taken restricting your lives.

Unfortunately some are just incapable of behaving responsibly.

If that is, directed at me, you will need to back up your irresponsible claim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well they are the ones pumping massive money in on something that might not even be useable so you have to expect them to profit off it. A company like jnj could mass produce easily.

I think they have all been given grants.. I believe I read that a few weeks ago

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Second time I've seen confusing statements from guardian about Ireland:

"Ireland: confirmed cases of coronavirus halve. Ireland on Monday confirmed 295 new cases, the second highest daily number, bringing the total to 2,910. It recorded eight deaths, bringing the death toll to 54"

Confirmed cases half? Maybe they mean the rate of increase is halving from the previous day, but badly worded.

In my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Think I read somewhere that it’s down to individual immune systems, some go into overdrive and that’s what causes the issues.

No, cytokine shock was in Spanish flu. This one is more connected to blood clothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭deaglan1

What are the age demographics for Israel? they have officially more infections than us but their death rate per million population is so much lower than here.
    Ireland-vs-Israel.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Boy, 13, becomes UK's youngest known victim

A 13-year-old boy in London who tested positive has died, Kings College hospital has said. He is believed to be the youngest victim of the outbreak in the UK.
    Sadly, a 13-year old boy who tested positive for Covid-19 has passed away and our thoughts and condolences are with the family at this time. The death has been referred to the coroner and no further comment will be made.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/31/coronavirus-live-news-usa-confirmed-cases-double-china-update-uk-italy-spain-europe-latest-updates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/5ac125-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-31-march-20/

The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has today been informed that 17 patients diagnosed with COVID-19 in Ireland have died.
    8 deaths located in the east, 3 in the south, 3 in the north-west and 3 in the west of the country
    patients included 4 females and 13 males
    median age of today’s reported deaths is 84
    8 patients were reported as having underlying health conditions

There have now been 71 COVID-19 related deaths in Ireland.

The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has been informed of 325 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland, as at 1pm, Tuesday 31 March.

There are now 3,235 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland.

The HSE is now working to identify any contacts the patients may have had to provide them with information and advice to prevent further spread.

To date, 30,213 tests have been carried out in laboratories across the country, as of midnight, Monday 30 March.

Over the past week, the positivity rate for tests carried out increased from 6% to 15%, as per the objective of our new case definition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It was all a PR exercise for Leo and Simon. And the majority fell for it.

But not you weldoninhio, you're too smart aren't you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,338 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

beolight wrote: »
    Same doctors could only claim their €30 fee for referrals
    No referral no fee
    Not true, they get 30 euro for calling a person to discuss symptoms etc if possibly coronavirus related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭Talisman

I'm very curious as to why they haven't been able to run more tests . They are firing money around like mad at the moment so it can't be that.
    Lab capacity - the NVRL is completing ~900 tests per day. The other labs around the country do not have the same capacity - Cillian de Gascun explained this about two weeks ago.

They are getting new equipment which will improve capacity and speed up the lab testing but it won't be in place until late April.

Are European laboratories ready to detect COVID-19? (ECDC, February 15)
    The laboratories were asked to indicate their weekly capacity for molecular testing for SARS-CoV-2. Of the 47 participating laboratories, 38 indicated a capacity of minimum 8 275 tests per week.

Obviously the NVRL is not one of the top performing labs in Europe with ~6,300 weekly tests, but hopefully the upgrade next month will put them in the ball park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

beolight wrote: »
    Same doctors could only claim their €30 fee for referrals
    No referral no fee

More like initially it was 'test, test, test.
    Then the signs and symptoms were increased which brought more into the loop.
    Then they were reduced again and the list torn up.

And now we're back to 1500 per day apparently with long waits for results.
    And a relation of mine is back driving a bus today and still hasn't got his results after 12 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well they are the ones pumping massive money in on something that might not even be useable so you have to expect them to profit off it. A company like jnj could mass produce easily.

Pharmaceutical giant Johnson & Johnson is partnering with the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to fund over $1 billion in COVID-19 vaccine and antiviral treatment research and development, the company said on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,068 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

gabeeg wrote: »
    The test isn't completed until the results are back.

If you go to a hospital and have blood removed from you then that does not mean you've had a test done. It just means they've taken your blood.

The actual testing is rather a crucial element of a ****ing test.

The testing is the whole lot so yes when I do get bloods done I am going in for a test. So when they swab people it is part of the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

gabeeg wrote: »
    I can't find any info and I'm not going to look for it.

Of course that isn't the case. Think about it
    Am well aware that shouldn't be the case, would like some confirmation.

I am seeking some confirmation that actual physical isolation is the practice not the exception, given the very limited ICU and HCU facilities in hospitals.

Glib responses from people without first-hand knowledge are merely presumptive speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Just heard on the radio we have a worse death rate per capita than the UK. Can't be accurate surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

JoChervil wrote: »
    No, cytokine shock was in Spanish flu. This one is more connected to blood clothing

No. Covid-19 can trigger a cykotine attack. It's the immune system spiralling out of control and attacking the lungs and other organs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not sure

The trial involves research teams in Ireland, the UK, Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, Singapore, New Zealand, Australia and Canada, and they will share their data quickly.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0331/1127678-coronavirus-ireland-clinical-trials/

OK, must be a few of them. Here's the WHO one. We don't seem to be a part of that.

https://bgr.com/2020/03/23/coronavirus-update-who-tests-covid-19-cures/

The testing regime failures mean that we are likely missing thousands of positive tests per week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

And this folks is the type of specimen responsible for the forced measures that need to be taken restricting your lives.

Unfortunately some are just incapable of behaving responsibly.

I didn't read his post that way tbh. I read it that he was actually taking exercise responsibly, but neighbours were giving out that he shouldn't be out walking, and he said that he wasn't going to be lectured by people like them, i.e. telling him he could not go for a walk. That's how I read it...
    cajonlardo wrote: »
    Yeah
    Got a lecture from a neighbour about this might happen, that might happen and you could land up taking a space in A&E if you go out exercising.

Stupid ignorant obese so&so standing there leaning on his gate smoking his brains out and his wife driving a mini Cooper like she is rallying.

Don't know if it's anxiety over the current threat or were there always so many hypocritical and dog ignorant twats in this country.

Personally, I'll take every step I can to behave responsibly but some lecturing so & so who is a lifelong problem to our health service through personal choice isn't going to lecture me.

Regarding runners, I see plenty round here. Can't see them in groups, haven't once seen one spitting, they move to the side opposite the one I move to.
    Hardly surprising, if they run, it's most likely they care about their health and thus do not want to take unnecessary risks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

But not you weldoninhio, you're too smart aren't you.

You don’t have to be smart to know Leo Varadkar is all fart, no poo. Everything is about his image and public perception to him. Didn’t he rehire his expensive PR man as soon as this crisis kicked off.

Do they have the specific equipment, are they calibrated for the tests. You can just hire someone off the streets and go here are tests to be prossessed. Here is a screenshot of what your looking for

Im gonna go with yes....i know of no pharma factory with no lab facilities,do you??

Just get the equipemt calibrated

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭OUTOFSYNC

The lack of planning for testing is concerning. Germany started planning in January, rest of world not so proactive.

There are tonnes of labs and scientists in Ireland. It's a pity we followed global trend.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Just heard on the radio we have a worse death rate per capita than the UK. Can't be accurate surely.

Not correct!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭patnor1011

deaglan1 wrote: »
    What are the age demographics for Israel? they have officially more infections than us but their death rate per million population is so much lower than here.
    Ireland-vs-Israel.png

It has more to do with measures Israel introduced. Total lockdown and closed borders.
    World war Z style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

smaller countries will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Not true.

Name and shame the station.

UK death rate per million is 26, we at 14 after today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

The testing is the whole lot so yes when I do get bloods done I am going in for a test. So when they swab people it is part of the test.

of course it's part of the ****ing test.
    it's the thing they extract from you in order that they can perform the ****ing test

but if they neglect to perform the ****ing test, a test has not been completed.

Thanks for your input, but I can't make this any clearer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭Talisman

Ireland-vs-Israel.png
    In the Old Testament stories, God always tipped the balance in favour of the Israelites - obviously the same bias is reflected in those numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

The testing regime failures mean that we are likely missing thousands of positive tests per week.

Who are all indoors and keeping away from people like everyone else

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

threeball wrote: »
    He cant bluff his way out of this one. Even the republicans are turning on him. His ex press secretary was on Sky earlier and he was none too complementary either.

Never underestimate what Trump will say and the amount of numpties that will take everything he says as gospel. His ratings among the US public are at an all time high at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Ireland-vs-Israel.png

Think we are now seeing the impact of nursing home clusters.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Tandey wrote: »
    Went to get some diesel earlier this evening. Went to an applegreen that has a Burger King open for business, within the building.

What I saw next I could not believe and had to do more than a double take. As I was parking a noticed a guy in the passenger seat of a SUV gobbling down some chips while wearing a pair of those surgical gloves. Must admit I did lol at him.

https://streamable.com/7ktdd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

ANOTHER FECKING MASSIVE SPREADSHEET FOR FUTURE GUESSING
    People have calculators (or google). If there are C cases now, then in T days, at a rate of increase D (in decimal form, feel free to pluck the number from your arse) there will be Cx(1+D)^T cases.
    Multiply by other numbers plucked pseudorandomly from your arse to give the number of deaths, ICU patiets, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Not correct!

In fact our death rate per million is almost half that of Britain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,338 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It isn't true.
    Ours is currently 14 per million UK is 26 per million.

The UK also seemingly not recording a number of nursing home deaths in their figures currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Fann Linn wrote: »
    More like initially it was 'test, test, test.
    Then the signs and symptoms were increased which brought more into the loop.
    Then they were reduced again and the list torn up.

And now we're back to 1500 per day apparently with long waits for results.
    And a relation of mine is back driving a bus today and still hasn't got his results after 12 days.

A doctor in the clinic I work in is still waiting for results too. She’s out since March 11th. Feels fine now, but can’t return to work until she gets the result, it’s an absolute farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭patnor1011

An article this morning claims NYC is facing a catastrophe because they have had 450 Coronavirus deaths since January & someone is dying every 17 minutes. So you know—regularly, NYC has 419 deaths every single day & loses a person every 9 minutes. Just for perspective.

— Candace Owens (@RealCandaceO) March 28, 2020

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

No.

Uk: 26
    Ireland: 14

Deaths per million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭JoChervil

No. Covid-19 can trigger a cykotine attack. It's the immune system spiralling out of control and attacking the lungs and other organs.

Probably it can trigger as anything else in very rare cases. Spanish flu killed healthy young people just because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭LRNM

Tandey wrote: »

This is a healthcare trade secret to keep grease off your hands. :D
    Sometimes you just gotta eat a greasy burger while having no access to wet wipes or water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Not perfect but one of the better responses globally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,656 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Im gonna go with yes....i know of no pharma factory with no lab facilities,do you??

Just get the equipemt calibrated

'Just get the equipment calibrated'

It's as simple as that in your world...christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Not correct!

Yeah just had a look at the numbers not correct at all. BBC radio need to do better research

gmisk wrote: »
    It isn't true.
    Ours is currently 14 per million UK is 26 per million.

The UK also seemingly not recording a number of nursing home deaths in their figures currently.

How is our testing compared to other countries?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement