Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

It was all a PR exercise for Leo and Simon. And the majority fell for it.

Leo wanted out the day before we closed schools and this **** show started.

This is far from a pr exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

I didn't read his post that way tbh. I read it that he was actually taking exercise responsibly, but neighbours were giving out that he shouldn't be out walking, and he said that he wasn't going to be lectured by people like them, i.e. telling him he could not go for a walk. That's how I read it...
    That is exactly what I meant. The one lecturing me and his family are, through their reckless life choices, a far bigger threat than anyone following the current exercise guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 brwh11

DOCARCH wrote: »
    The fact there are now 71 deaths indicates there are (at least) 7,100 case in the country.

Heard virologist (from Queens in Belfast) the other day say that for every death there are a minimum of 100 cases (confirmed or unconfirmed).

It actually means there were approximately 7,000 cases 10-14 days ago because that is the average time from contracting virus to becoming seriously ill and eventually dying.
    Or more like 3,000 assuming a mortality rate of less than 5%.
    Then you can extrapolate over say 10 days from 3,000 cases, at a growth rate of say 15% per day giving you an estimate of today's actual infected cases of 115,000.
    The figures can be played with any way you want, and the calculations are very sensitive to the inputs, but this is a logic I saw very well explained somewhere and it does make sense.
    Essentially what is happening today in terms of deaths and ICU cases is a true reflection of what was happening on the ground 10-14 days ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Danzy wrote: »
    Not perfect but one of the better responses globally.

Really what are the figures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

They could run it 24 hours a day while they are getting another one up and running. Surely there are 10/15 people in the country who can run one.
    Hospital labs are already running 24 hours a day.

There are shortages in necessary reagents that is a problem for many countries.

Opening up other labs isn't going to help that. They dont have the equipment, materials or staff to provide the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Im gonna go with yes....i know of no pharma factory with no lab facilities,do you??

Just get the equipemt calibrated

EPA, Councils, Pharma, Universrsitys. There must be tonnes of labs plus technicians, scientists, chemistry professors available.
    I'd say the only things missing are the testing kits.

Really what are the figures?

What are the figures for every country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,338 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

How is our testing compared to other countries?
    I think at one stage we were one of the highest per head in Europe (South Korea seemed to be far and away the best for testing) but not sure to be honest now. Hard to find accurate figures for most countries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭ooter

Ireland have more cases per 1m of population than the UK, not deaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

we'll get proper numbers of people in ICU on prime time, after the news

• Registered Users Posts: 11,068 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Im gonna go with yes....i know of no pharma factory with no lab facilities,do you??

Just get the equipemt calibrated

You think the calibration is that easy they needed to be tested and certified which does not happen over night. We don't want faulty test results now do we

Just because they are a pharma factory does not mean they have the equipment for testing a virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

cajonlardo wrote: »
    some lecturing so & so... isn't going to lecture me.
    And this folks is the type of specimen responsible for the forced measures that need to be taken restricting your lives.

Unfortunately some are just incapable of behaving responsibly.

I didn't read his post that way tbh. I read it that he was actually taking exercise responsibly, but neighbours were giving out that he shouldn't be out walking, and he said that he wasn't going to be lectured by people like them, i.e. telling him he could not go for a walk. That's how I read it...
    cajonlardo wrote: »
    Yeah
    Got a lecture from a neighbour about this might happen, that might happen and you could land up taking a space in A&E if you go out exercising.

Stupid ignorant obese so&so standing there leaning on his gate smoking his brains out and his wife driving a mini Cooper like she is rallying.

Don't know if it's anxiety over the current threat or were there always so many hypocritical and dog ignorant twats in this country.

Personally, I'll take every step I can to behave responsibly but some lecturing so & so who is a lifelong problem to our health service through personal choice isn't going to lecture me.

Regarding runners, I see plenty round here. Can't see them in groups, haven't once seen one spitting, they move to the side opposite the one I move to.
    Hardly surprising, if they run, it's most likely they care about their health and thus do not want to take unnecessary risks.

In fact you completely mispresented what cajonlardo said. If you're going to quote them, quote them fully rather than placing a few choice words out of context in fairness to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Just heard on the radio we have a worse death rate per capita than the UK. Can't be accurate surely.

No. I think if we were the UK we would have 975 deaths 71x13.75

The UK have 1700 deaths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Mad to think the first case in China was only confirmed 3 months to the day

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭OUTOFSYNC

99 deaths for population of 6.6 million ( on island). I'd prefer if that death rate was lower.

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote: »
    I've seen on another forum that the testing is not able to distinguish between COVID19 and the regular coronavirus, aka the common cold. This could explain the disparity in symptoms in many cases, it really is just a cold the person has.
    Would love to get a doctor's comment on that.

Not a doctor, but 85-90% of common colds are not caused by a coronavirus(mostly rhinovirus). There are 7 known varieties of human coronavirus. 4 cause common colds, the other 3 are SARS, MERS and Covid19. If we were not able to differentiate there would only be 1 variety. To put it in context coronavirus is a family of viruses in the same way that rodents are a family of mammals. We still can know rat from mouse DNA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

JoChervil wrote: »
    Probably it can trigger as anything else in very rare cases. Spanish flu killed healthy young people just because of it.

No, if you're going to die from Covid-19, it is because your immune system overreacts and attacks your organs - primarily your lungs. Unless you have a preexisting condition that's exacerbated by Covid-19 and you die from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

What are the figures for every country?

No just some of the comparable countries in Europe? The HSE said they were testing 5000 now we know the real figure and its disappointing. The say they want to test 10000 to 15000 so they have shortfall of 8500 to 13500 on what they want to test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭Talisman

bekker wrote: »
    There does not seem to be any separation of COVID-19 infected patients from non-COVID-19 patients in ICUs and HDUs in Ireland is that correct?

Can't find any information available on physically separate units, all appear to be accommodated within existing structures.

This could become crucial going forward.
    The figure is less than 50% for isolation units. You may not find exact numbers but the best place to look is the annual report for critical care capacity in the HSE.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/about/who/cspd/ncps/critical-care/critical-care-capacity-planning/national-adult-critical-care-capacity-census-2019-report.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Just heard on the radio we have a worse death rate per capita than the UK. Can't be accurate surely.

UK has nearly twice as many deaths per capita compared to Ireland, according to worldometers

Surprisingly Belgium and Netherlands now join third place for highest numbers of deaths per capita after Italy and Spain, though they are still very very far behind these two countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

A doctor in the clinic I work in is still waiting for results too. She’s out since March 11th. Feels fine now, but can’t return to work until she gets the result, it’s an absolute farce.

He said the same, 'feel grand now, and if there was anything wrong I would've heard by now. '

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

wonski wrote: »
    100's people around me are not bothering.

I don't know where people see compliance...

Again, I'd love to know where you're talking about.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Leo wanted out the day before we closed schools and this **** show started.

This is far from a pr exercise.

The “ramping up of tests” etc was a PR exercise. The “we have plenty of PPE” was a PR exercise.
    The bullshyte about getting to “15,000 tests a day” was a PR exercise.

All we are getting from Simple Simon and Varadkardashian is spin and PR bluster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,656 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

OUTOFSYNC wrote: »
    99 deaths for population of 6.6 million ( on island). I'd prefer if that death rate was lower.

....ya don't say? Jesus:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

ooter wrote: »
    Ireland have has identified more cases per 1m of population than the UK, not deaths.

FYP

The raw number of cases published is the number identified through testing. Country to country comparisons, where different volumes of tests are being carried out and with different mythologies and selection criteria are fairly meaningless.

The total number of cases in most countries, bar perhaps Iceland, is unknown. The capacity to test whole populations or do routine sampling is still missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

ooter wrote: »
    Ireland have more cases per 1m of population than the UK, not deaths.

I think if we are the UK we would have 44,000 cases. I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

No. Covid-19 can trigger a cykotine attack. It's the immune system spiralling out of control and attacking the lungs and other organs.

I'm not familiar with a cykotine attack.

I get the flu injection every year. This years years flu injection was a particularly tough one. There was definitely a sharper pinch with it. I had to go back to the doctor a week later for something else and my arm was still slightly tender with a red circle mark around the injection site. My doctor said something like it's a sign my body took it well or something amount the immune system. I can't remember.

Would I be prone for a cykotine attack if I was to contract this infection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

So much fake news +BS on facebook. Every1 posting about donating baby moniters to hospitals so staff dont need to change scrubs +masks. Any truth to this? Sounds like a direlection of duty to me but kinda makes since in avoiding wasting PPE gear.
    Another post goin aroind is a line of coffins in a church but its actualy a pic from the earthquake they had afew yers ago, another tradegy bit not Covid related

The “ramping up of tests” etc was a PR exercise. The “we have plenty of PPE” was a PR exercise.

All we are getting from Simple Simon and Varadkardashian is spin and PR bluster.

Varakardashian?

Im out.

gabeeg wrote: »
    of course it's part of the ****ing test.
    it's the thing they extract from you in order that they can perform the ****ing test

but if they neglect to perform the ****ing test, a test has not been completed.

Thanks for your input, but I can't make this any clearer

So when they swab x amount then they are testing x amount thanks for that. I agree we have to get the equipment in to get the results out quicker and hopefully they are coming. However your twisting of words just to try and score political points is frankly horrible. Don't forget it our frontline staff doing this have some respect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭JoChervil

No, if you're going to die from Covid-19, it is because your immune system overreacts and attacks your organs - primarily your lungs. Unless you have a preexisting condition that's exacerbated by Covid-19 and you die from that.

Well, in an article in The Lancet analysing 191 cases from Wuhan they claimed it was connected with D-dimers and blood clothing

sterz wrote: »

I hope that lid was on tighly but it looked like some sent in the top

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

brwh11 wrote: »
    It actually means there were approximately 7,000 cases 10-14 days ago because that is the average time from contracting virus to becoming seriously ill and eventually dying.
    Or more like 3,000 assuming a mortality rate of less than 5%.
    Then you can extrapolate over say 10 days from 3,000 cases, at a growth rate of say 15% per day giving you an estimate of today's actual infected cases of 115,000.
    The figures can be played with any way you want, and the calculations are very sensitive to the inputs, but this is a logic I saw very well explained somewhere and it does make sense.
    Essentially what is happening today in terms of deaths and ICU cases is a true reflection of what was happening on the ground 10-14 days ago.

Depends if the virologist meant 1 death per hundred at the time of contracting the disease or at the time of death.Makes a pretty big difference!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

owlbethere wrote: »

I get the flu injection every year. This years years flu injection was a particularly tough one. There was definitely a sharper pinch with it. I had to go back to the doctor a week later for something else and my arm was still slightly tender with a red circle mark around the injection site. My doctor said something like it's a sign my body took it well or something amount the immune system. I can't remember.

Dunno. Depends on how healthy/young you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,338 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

So would everyone.... but we can't force Northern Ireland to implement the same policies at the same time as us (although there are meetings going on between ROI and the NI executive).
    Northern Ireland have 28 the ROI have 71.
    So NI disproportionately high to ROI.
    NI testing very few for a long long time as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

owlbethere wrote: »

That's largely to do with poor injection technique / bad luck.
    If you are unlucky enough to get it in the wrong place, as I did one year when a pharmacist managed to inject it subcutaneously instead of intramuscularly and I even bled she was so bad at doing it, then it will hurt quite a lot.

I was bruised, my arm hurt, I had a mild fever etc.. all down to bad technique.
    I'm not even sure that year's vaccine even worked very well for me due to where it landed.

Other years, I'd absolutely no problems whatsoever. In fact, with my old GP (retired) you wouldn't even know you had had a flu jab. It was over before you realised he'd even begun.

The lack of planning for testing is concerning. Germany started planning in January, rest of world not so proactive.

There are tonnes of labs and scientists in Ireland. It's a pity we followed global trend.

What do you think a physicist, or a chemistry lab would have to offer? Specifics equipment and specific analysts are required. Maybe you could train a chemist familiar with NMR in PCR if you had the right equipment available, but it’s not as simple as sending samples to all the laps in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

So when they swab x amount then they are testing x amount thanks for that. I agree we have to get the equipment in to get the results out quicker and hopefully they are coming. However your twisting of words just to try and score political points is frankly horrible. Don't forget it our frontline staff doing this have some respect

Oh spare me the pious crap.

This has zero to do with out frontline staff.

A swab is a swab. A test is a test. They could swab the entire country, but until the swab is tested it means nothing. It’s a stick with some snot and spit on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

How many pharma labs do you know that has instruments for diagnostic testing?

Pharma companies would not routinely have DNA extractors or light cyclers to carry out PCR.

They wouldn't have the reagents either which are now having supllier shortages.

OUTOFSYNC wrote:
    There are tonnes of labs and scientists in Ireland. It's a pity we followed global trend.
    One size does not fit all.

A biology grad cannot be a nurse.
    A chemistry grad cannot be a pharmacist
    A physics grad cannot be a radiographer.

Not all labs or science grads can provide this service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Before you report her, if you're living in an owner occupied property she can just boot you out without any notice. Keep that in mind.

Its illegal to evict someone at the moment.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The whole thing is black, black I tell ya.

I did have a chuckle at Coveney claiming the credit for bringing back the people from Peru and also helping 13 other European countries at the same time.

People on his twitter feed were lapping it up and back slapping like crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

Stats per county not adding up to 2677

Carlow|5|0.10%
    Cavan|24|1.20%
    Clare|40|1.50%
    Cork|238|8.90%
    Donegal|46|1.70%
    Dublin|1487|55.50%
    Galway|86|3.20%
    Kerry|66|2.50%
    Kildare|66|2.50%
    Kilkenny|36|1.30%
    Laois|15|0.60%
    Leitrim|6|0.20%
    Limerick|67|2.50%
    Longford|10|0.40%
    Louth|44|1.60%
    Mayo|36|1.30%
    Meath|54|2%
    Monaghan|13|0.50%
    Offaly|34|1.30%
    Roscommon|10|0.40%
    Sligo|19|0.70%
    Tipperary|71|2.70%
    Waterford|33|1.20%
    Westmeath|77|2.90%
    Wexford|15|0.60%
    Wicklow|73|2.70%
    Total|2671|100.00%

I’m sure it will all come out in the 2028 tribunal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Don't forget Leos unrealistic prediction of 15,000 cases by the end of the month.

I see lots of people celebrating and saying fantastic job by the Government because we didn't hit the 15,000 cases or 30% increase per day.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    EPA, Councils, Pharma, Universrsitys. There must be tonnes of labs plus technicians, scientists, chemistry professors available.
    I'd say the only things missing are the testing kits.

You must think all these places have the highest equipment. What would a University want need of a machine to test viruses. Do you really think these people can just walk in and know how to test for these things, Not all scientist, technicians or professors know everything. Come on use your head

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭gamerguy1

Italy has 100k cases and Spain 80k cases and seem to be slowing a little but will know in a few weeks if lockdown is working. Both countries have around 60 million, I wonder what's the true figure on the amount infected. We have 5 million and with our rate of cases we might reach their level in a few weeks which is frightening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭ooter

I think if we are the UK we would have 44,000 cases. I could be wrong.

yeah that's right, the UK have 25k cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The numbers are clearly cumulative, just look at the damn numbers. They are all totals in every column! No one has confirmed they are the days figures in fact it was confirmed in yesterday's briefing they are cumulative when it was clearly stated that they are.

watch Prime Time in about 20 mins

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement