Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

fr336 wrote: »
    I don't understand how 100 year olds can recover yet 13 year olds with no underlying conditions die?

As its a novel virus peer reviewed studies have been few and far between.

There have been some studies on viral load which look promising, ie the more of the virus you are exposed to the more severe the outcome, but obviously more study needs to be done on this. Some experts talk of two strains, one severe, one mild. Having a strong immune system isn't always a good thing if it causes an immune over reaction. Finally a 100 year old might have no underlying conditions while a 13 year old might have an undiagnosed one.

Much about this virus is a mystery but like the spanish flu it will be studied for decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

When will the ‘surge’ hit Ireland?

Are we in it right now or hasn’t happened yet?

Hasn't happened yet. And hopefully too many people don't start to feel comfortable because of the ridiculous positive cases figures being given out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,846 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

deisedevil wrote: »
    There's f-all testing being done. The positive cases mean absolutely nothing. ICU cases are flying up! They actually mean something.

Am I wrong here? Why is anyone still looking at the positive cases in Ireland anymore when no one is even hiding the fact now that there are huge problems with the testing and so little tests are being carried out?

Ignore the positive tests because they are nowhere near, not even anything like, a reflection of the amount of cases we actually have. Just look at ICU and deaths, because they are what they are for all to see.

We don't have the full data, but the numbers that have sadly passed away seem to be mainly quite elderly, so if the virus gets into a nursing home, more than likely a large % of them will need ICU beds and sadly some of them will pass away. So I think looking purely at ICU beds isn't a fair reflection on where are either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭mouldybiscuits

I don't understand how 100 year olds can recover yet 13 year olds with no underlying conditions die?

Each illness is different and everyone's immune system doesn't react the same. Sometimes a perfectly healthy person can die and sometimes a vulnerable person can only get a mild case. There is a bit of randomness in every individual illness. This goes for all sorts of illnesses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

I did. The word 'overtime' isn't mentioned. Perhaps you should read it again?

if you can't see that it's about overtime you have either no experience or knowledge of unions, or you are a card carrying SIPTU member yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

froog wrote: »
    if you can't see that it's about overtime you have either no experience or knowledge of unions, or you are a card carrying SIPTU member yourself.

Got me. I'm a SIPTU shop steward.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

threeball wrote: »
    Trump wont say the numbers of predicted deaths on camera, presumably as he doesnt want it used in the future presidential elections.

Democrats didn't cover themselves in glory either.

Tim Pool.
    Democrats Try To Call Out Trump But Just SELF OWN, They Basically Argue AGAINST Electing Democrats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dyIe2sCbLM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

So, basic enough question!

Right now, and I know we are behind in the cases being identified now, but right now, where are people getting infected in general?

Supermarket seems reasonably unlikely with distancing (hopefully)

Shared lifts/buttons, keypads etc - again, with what people now know, hopefully not too much

Public transport - not very much going on any more
    Apartment blocks - people walking by each other - hopefully distancing

So where do people think the cases that we see in 2 weeks will derive from?

Trump done more than any world leader, yet gets labelled as the guy who did not. But he was the first to shut China out, and then Europe, while we were listening to Leo talking of '' Parades will go ahead'' and flying off to Washington to a dinner that was cancelled. And we all know what Boris did, stuck his head in the sand and said '' o well, what will be will be'' letting the virus take a huge grip before doing a thing.

You're just swallowing his bare faced lies. You're not alone though, nearly 45% of Americans trust him, even though he has blatantly and openly lied to them every single day of his presidency so far.

He didn't move fast on covid19. He called it a hoax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,656 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Got me. I'm a SIPTU shop steward.

Say no more sure, snout meet trough.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

daheff wrote: »
    Which surge are you talking about...surge of new cases or surge of ICU admissions?

We are in the middle of the bulk of new cases.

The surge on ICU is approx 7-10 days from now. On top of what's already in ICU.

Thanks. Yeah the ICU surge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

As its a novel virus peer reviewed studies have been few and far between.

There have been some studies on viral load which look promising, ie the more of the virus you are exposed to the more severe the outcome, but obviously more study needs to be done on this. Some experts talk of two strains, one severe, one mild. Having a strong immune system isn't always a good thing if it causes an immune over reaction. Finally a 100 year old might have no underlying conditions while a 13 year old might have an undiagnosed one.

Much about this virus is a mystery but like the spanish flu it will be studied for decades.
    I think that’s the point. We know very little about this virus. Major lessons will have to be learned but it will take time to analyse the data of this outbreak. Hopefully we will be better prepared for the next pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭threeball

statesaver wrote: »
    Democrats didn't cover themselves in glory either.

Tim Pool.
    Democrats Try To Call Out Trump But Just SELF OWN, They Basically Argue AGAINST Electing Democrats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dyIe2sCbLM

Maybe not, but theyre not in the hot seat. When you're the man you have to step up to the plate. What democrats or Sinn Fein or Labour say doesnt matter a damn. In the words of Truman, the buck stops here.... unless youre trump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

smart man

Sure thing :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

wakka12 wrote: »
    Mad to think the first case in China was only confirmed 3 months to the day

One of my youtube subscriptions about china pointed out an interesting fact of a job opening in the Wuhan virology labs about studying bat coronaviruses.

starts 5:23

The job opening was posted on their website amonth before the outbreak.
    But that's coincidence - isnt it...

Hasn't happened yet. And hopefully too many people don't start to feel comfortable because of the ridiculous positive cases figures being given out.

What do you mean by ridiculous?

Right now, and I know we are behind in the cases being identified now, but right now, where are people getting infected in general?

Shared lifts/buttons, keypads etc - again, with what people now know, hopefully not too much

Well this is exactly how we are going to slow it down,

Given the latest recommendation of healthcare workers not living together, I think it's fair to say a lot of cases are coming from treating those with the virus in hospitals, and the HSE are trying to avoid large numbers of healthcare workers getting sick at the one time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Ace2007 wrote: »
    We don't have the full data, but the numbers that have sadly passed away seem to be mainly quite elderly, so if the virus gets into a nursing home, more than likely a large % of them will need ICU beds and sadly some of them will pass away. So I think looking purely at ICU beds isn't a fair reflection on where are either.

I'm saying that I don't think there's much point in us looking at testing results anymore. Every evening I see people making the same comments that there hasn't been large increases in the numbers of positive results and that we seem to be doing quite well. But how can anyone make that conclusion from an absolutely diabolical testing system. It's a complete and utter disaster. They don't even have solution for the swabs anymore. No reagents to make them and running out of swabs. A local test centre near me did ten tests this morning and had to stop because that's all the swabs they had.

So everyone should ignore the tests results. Just look at the increases in ICU numbers and deaths from now on to get an understanding of how we are coping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Thanks. Yeah the ICU surge.

The scientists think new cases will start to drop whilst deaths are still high every day. There will be a time lag issue at play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,002 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Coronavirus: Anger is growing at China over COVID-19 and its apparent cover-up attempt

China is facing a public relations catastrophe that is only likely to deepen, writes Sky's diplomatic editor Dominic Waghorn.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-anger-is-growing-at-china-over-covid-19-and-its-apparent-cover-up-attempt-11966539
    Western countries have their populations on lockdown, their economies frozen or in freefall, and the country where the virus most likely originated is suspected to have lied, covered up and spread misinformation about its role.
    In Britain, there is reportedly rising anger about the Chinese government's conduct and increasing pressure for a wholesale review of relations with China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

kenmc wrote: »
    The best hope is that people who've recovered are indeed immune, and an antibody test is developed quickly and cheaply to identify these folk who can begin to return to the old normal. Meanwhile the unimmune get to doss and sponge off the state while the rest work (obligatory welfare spongers joke of course) until the virus runs out of steam.

Guess need some way to identify those with immunity who are allowed out from those who aren't.

Is there even immunity one you’ve gotten this virus ? I thought that was still being questioned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Good point.

Still plenty of people going to work so this will be a driver. Only takes one person in an office to have it then the people they spread it to bring it home and infect their whole household.

One of my youtube subscriptions about china pointed out an interesting fact of a job opening in the Wuhan virology labs about studying bat coronaviruses.

starts 5:23

The job opening was posted on their website amonth before the outbreak.
    But that's coincidence - isnt it...

Regardless of whether this was intentional or not, the world needs to reduce trade with china and the dependence on their cheap product. Either way this should hurt them rather than benefit them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

The “ramping up of tests” etc was a PR exercise. The “we have plenty of PPE” was a PR exercise.
    The bullshyte about getting to “15,000 tests a day” was a PR exercise.

All we are getting from Simple Simon and Varadkardashian is spin and PR bluster.

It most likely wasn't a PR exercise. They likely thought they had the resources (scientists/equipment) to do this but is now not possible due to the worldwide shortage in RNA extraction kits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭Talisman

Birx and Fauci are brilliant at explaining the situation.

I'm saying that I don't think there's much point in us looking at testing results anymore. Every evening I see people making the same comments that there hasn't been large increases in the numbers of positive results and that we seem to be doing quite well. But how can anyone make that conclusion from an absolutely diabolical testing system. It's a complete and utter disaster. They don't even have solution for the swabs anymore. No reagents to make them and running out of swabs. A local test centre near me did ten tests this morning and had to stop because that's all the swabs they had.

So everyone should ignore the tests results. Just look at the increases in ICU numbers and deaths from now on to get an understanding of how we are coping.

Testing is a world wide issue not limited to Ireland.

But again you fail to understand, if say 500 people over the age of 80 get the virus - it's safe to say without knowing about their general health a large % of them are going to require hospital treatment and some ICU and some will sadly pass away.

If you take 500 people in their 40's the number that will go into hospital is lower, the number needing ICU will be low, and even less will pay away.

So unless you have a breakdown of the age and where the person got the virus from you can't really take anything from the number in ICU, some nursing homes in Dublin have 150+ residents - wouldn't take much of an outbreak to fill hospital ICU beds in a Dublin hospital for instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

You're just swallowing his bare faced lies. You're not alone though, nearly 45% of Americans trust him, even though he has blatantly and openly lied to them every single day of his presidency so far.

He didn't move fast on covid19. He called it a hoax.

Even snopes.com says that's not true:

In context, Trump did not say in the passage above that the virus itself was a hoax. He instead said that Democrats’ criticism of his administration’s response to it was a hoax.
    snopes.com

Who's swallowing whose lies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭omerin

Its all about the pr with trump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Trump rambling here!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Talisman wrote: »

Yes easy to understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Trump covering up that he can't remember the term "herd immunity"..."we won't even call it the name"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Its like this one time I went with 2 mates for a kebab and I got a slight dose of the scutters, one of the others got a bad dose of the scuts and the other landed in hospital and lost over a stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,529 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

threeball wrote: »
    Thought he was gonna get his 15 cases down to 0 very soon. He also suggested he'd reopen the country at easter. Then he asked the governers to praise him or he wouldnt answer their call. Then to top it off he accused the hospitals in New york so sending PPE out the back door because they needed so much.

Ya he's done a great job

Wishful thinking, he says things in hope, not suggesting it's an absolute given, but then people use those sound-byte's to paint their narrative.

He said it would be great time to get it done, Easter. I'd agree, would you not, I too would love it to be done by Easter

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The massive slow down in % of new cases over the past few days is surely a sign we got ahead of this early when we closed the schools and colleges so soon.

It seems to be working well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Trump done more than any world leader, yet gets labelled as the guy who did not. But he was the first to shut China out, and then Europe, while we were listening to Leo talking of '' Parades will go ahead'' and flying off to Washington to a dinner that was cancelled. And we all know what Boris did, stuck his head in the sand and said '' o well, what will be will be'' letting the virus take a huge grip before doing a thing.

Italy stopped flights from China before the US.. https://www.forbes.com/sites/davekeating/2020/03/12/italy-banned-flights-from-china-before-americait-didnt-work/

Trump has been downplaying virus since January

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1244781570440884225

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

You must think all these places have the highest equipment. What would a University want need of a machine to test viruses. Do you really think these people can just walk in and know how to test for these things, Not all scientist, technicians or professors know everything. Come on use your head

To be fair the equipment is very common in biology labs in universities. What would be an issue is the level of maintenance and calibration of the equipment in universities. There are very strict guidelines regarding calibration for diagnostic labs.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Good point.

Still plenty of people going to work so this will be a driver. Only takes one person in an office to have it then the people they spread it to bring it home and infect their whole household.

Also some people house share, it’s easier for a full family to restrict themselves but not people house sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

pH wrote: »
    Even snopes.com says that's not true:

In context, Trump did not say in the passage above that the virus itself was a hoax. He instead said that Democrats’ criticism of his administration’s response to it was a hoax.
    snopes.com

Who's swallowing whose lies?

Oh great, now we'll all break out the quotes of trump making a complete and utter tit of himself

Thanks PH

What do you mean by this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

https://www.yanisvaroufakis.eu/2020/03/30/why-are-they-saying-no-to-the-eurobond-the-case-for-constructive-disobedience-in-the-eu-council/

Why are they saying no to the eurobond? The case for constructive disobedience in the EU Council

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

Slowly, slowly the world is waking up

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6145949551001

Goodbye Rosie, the Queen of Corona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

And Trump the **** stepped out of camera shot as the bad news was delivered by others.
    Later he hints NYC were slow to react .....

Why don't some of the press hacks ask for his resignation ?
    100k dead FFS
    Talisman wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    To be fair the equipment is very common in biology labs in universities. What would be an issue is the level of maintenance and calibration of the equipment in universities. There are very strict guidelines regarding calibration for diagnostic labs.

These would not be scalable to carry out mass testing. They are to run limited experiments on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Well this is exactly how we are going to slow it down,

Given the latest recommendation of healthcare workers not living together, I think it's fair to say a lot of cases are coming from treating those with the virus in hospitals, and the HSE are trying to avoid large numbers of healthcare workers getting sick at the one time.
    Good point.

Keep those ideas coming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Does anyone know why the cargo received from China was transported on Army trucks and Garda outriders with cameras rolling to capture the whole exercise?
    I've seen it replayed several times.
    To me it looked like a propaganda exercise.

Sky news showed video clips of British amry trucks also deliviring PPE suplies to hospitals in London. They must also be undertaking a propaganda exercise.

Also I'd say that PPE gear is worth its weight in gold these days and is probably a theft target.

Wishful thinking, he says things in hope, not suggesting it's an absolute given, but then people use those sound-byte's to paint their narrative.

He said it would be great time to get it done, Easter. I'd agree, would you not, I too would love it to be done by Easter

Ah get off it. Hes the leader of a very powerful country. You cant just trot out any aul sh1te that comes in to your head. People and bodies rely on the info you provide. Particularly the office of POTUS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,002 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

FRAn%20ce.png?itok=InUzYgdi

Hidden within France' figures is those for patients needing ICU beds which rose by 425 today alone.

This is what concerns the HSE here so much for good reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,529 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Trump has been downplaying virus since January

Acosta is more interested in trying to make Trump look bad than wanting to ask a decent question on the topic of the briefing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Lidl in Doughiska Galway were only allowing 1 person per group in yesterday. Went there with my wife and she ended up waiting in the car.

Great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The leader of the world.

Jesus what an absolute muppet.

Has no idea what he's doing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement