Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Christ thats some turnaround by Trump. Only a week ago he banging on about back to business at Easter and the China Flu.

Moron absolute moron.

More like a manipulator and liar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

This from one month ago......

Then.

And now, today 30th March, just one month after we had Zero cases here!

UK / NHS Confirmed cases 22,000
    UK / NHS Covid-19 deaths 01,415

IRL / HSE Confirmed cases 03,235
    IRL / HSE Covid-19 deaths 71

Looking at these figures alone for the UK & Ireland just shows what a speed this virus is travelling at......

Hopefully it will disappear just as quickly as f when it's finished with us.

You can have all the lockdowns you want but if for example you continue to import cases from abroad lockdowns are pointless and we never get on top it.

14% of over 300 cases today were infected abroad. That's 45 cases for just one day. Fully understand that Irish need to be brought back but introducing 45 cases a day from abroad into the community means lockdown becomes unworkable. If each of those 45 infect one other person such as a family member and so on you still have a significant exponential spread.

And lets not forget all community transmission stems from someone who originally got it abroad, whether its only one degree or a number of degrees of separation.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,840 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

owlbethere wrote: »
    What is the outcome for people who would survive ICU?
    ...U can't C them anymore!

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Shn99 wrote: »
    The CMO was saying this evening that if the current measures take effect, we could see a relaxation of the current measures. Would this be the reopening of schools, colleges ect or what are we thinking?

Yes, but not all in one go. They would probably open cafes, restaurants and retail stores first and pubs some time after that.

Schools and colleges will probably reopen in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

The beautiful ships, lol.

Trump's Hospital ship ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

And by the way those people who say we aren't importing cases because no-one is flying have been found to be talking nonsense.

45 cases of infection from foreign travel in just todays numbers tell us there's a problem there.

And a couple of staff manning a table handing out flyers is not going to stop this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,909 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Cases rising again in Spain ,
    https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-03-31/after-small-reprieve-daily-coronavirus-deaths-spike-in-spain-again.html

There will be carnage here in the summer when people will be expected to sit at home while it's 36C outside ..... total carnage.

Yes, the weather is on the verge of taking up... will people get a bit complacent? A bit of cabin fever / itchy feet ? Knowing the Irish psyche, social psyche yes this will be an issue... got to be vigilant/rude/demanding of our loved ones to do the right thing, maintaining social distancing...

Know what your loved ones are doing, my mother has already told my father his daily walk will be to the roundabout and back, a route where he knows nobody...his regular route through the estate will see him hanging over the garden walls yapping to neighbors with... “ sure I was only there 2 minutes what harm ? “

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭threeball

Strazdas wrote: »
    Yes, but not all in one go. They would probably open cafes, restaurants and retail stores first and pubs some time after that.

Schools and colleges will probably reopen in September.

Doubt it. A reverse of what we have seen is more likely, construction and other jobs go back, wait 2 to 3 weeks then if all is going well, bring back cafes, restaurants, then pubs, then sports events and concerts. I cant see it working smoothly. Infections are bound to rise again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

The CMO was saying this evening that if the current measures take effect, we could see a relaxation of the current measures. Would this be the reopening of schools, colleges ect or what are we thinking?

I very much doubt there will be any relaxation of the measures anytime soon and even if there is schools and colleges will not reopen before August/September at the earliest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

voluntary wrote: »

Definitely not a master manipulator as he is so transparent in his stupidity. Example being, how he drags out answers to buy time as he doesn't know what he is talking about, a very inarticulate individual and buffer.

It a damning indictment on America as a whole that he is doing well in approval ratings at this time.

His deference to the severity of the pandemic has caused deaths, no doubt about it.

On a side note this thing is keeping me awake at night. So worried about how the disruption will play out.

Working from home but focus is completely gone this week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Cases rising again in Spain ,
    https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-03-31/after-small-reprieve-daily-coronavirus-deaths-spike-in-spain-again.html

There will be carnage here in the summer when people will be expected to sit at home while it's 36C outside ..... total carnage.

A major heatwave and more will die from that than the virus if people are stuck inside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

And by the way those people who say we aren't importing cases because no-one is flying have been found to be talking nonsense.

45 cases of infection from foreign travel just today tell us there's a problem there.

And a couple of staff manning a table handing flyers is not going to stop this.

Nothing will change. The present govt had to hauled kicking and screaming to cancel the Parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

45 cases of infection from foreign travel in just todays numbers tell us there's a problem there.

And a couple of staff manning a table handing flyers is not going to stop this.

Look at china:

On arrival everyone was tested at the airport on arrival and then sent to a isolation hotel for 14 days even if their test was negative.

They realized that even this wasn't enough and then banned all non chinese from entering the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

voluntary wrote: »

I wouldn't even give him that much credit. A harlequin showman who reads lines ( badly) from a teleprompter and when is required to give an actual answer blows smoke up the yanks asses with talk of ' beautiful' this and that. Greatest country in the world blah blah. A game show host.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

And a couple of staff manning a table handing out flyers is not going to stop this.

Why are you banging on about flights?

What nationalties were these 4 cases? I bet they were Irish.

Also, where had they traveled from? I bet from loads of different places.

What about the remaining 280 cases from today? All community based and that's the big problem now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,002 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Asked whether he lulled people into a false sense of security Trump responds, “It’s going to go away, hopefully at the end of the month.”

God he is such a dumb ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,698 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Yeah - we really need to stop Irish people coming back to Ireland so travel related is zero

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Nothing will change. The present govt had to hauled kicking and screaming to cancel the Parade.

Eh,no they didn't.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Fauci nearly doing a Larry David impersonation there with the "Aaaaachooo".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

i hope you don't have a source for this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

What country is this number for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Definitely not a master manipulator as he is so transparent in his stupidity.

It a damning indictment on America as a whole that he is doing well in approval ratings at this time.

His deference to the severity of the pandemic has caused deaths, no doubt about it.

Plenty of blame to go round.

EUeCuKPUMAECQ90?format=jpg&name=large

Fann Linn wrote: »

Nonsense ; they announced the parade was cancelled a full eight days before the date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why are you banging on about flights?

What nationalties were these 4 cases? I bet they were Irish.

Also, where had they traveled from? I bet from loads of different places.

What about the remaining 280 cases from today? All community based and that's the big problem now.

I’m sure they were Irish. I don’t care what nationality anyone is, there should be mandatory quarantine for anyone entering the country. Australia do it to their own citizens, why can’t we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

The US will end up having a daily rate of infection of 100k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

American media is horrific.

I’m sure they were Irish. I don’t care what nationality anyone is, there should be mandatory quarantine for anyone entering the country. Australia do it to their own citizens, why can’t we?

We do.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    The US will end up having a daily rate of infection of 100k.

They more than likely already do. Testing is non existent in most of it.

Irish people.....the question of those being required to self isolate is a different matter (I assume you're not asking for Irish people not be allowed enter their own country?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

pH wrote: »
    Plenty of blame to go round.

EUeCuKPUMAECQ90?format=jpg&name=large

Thats an eye opener.

• Advertisement

Irish people.....the question of those being required to self isolate is a different matter (I assume you're not asking for Irish people not be allowed enter their own country?)

Don't assume anything around here, that's exactly what they're suggesting

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

Because we Are IRISH we are not Australians.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    We do.

It’s not mandatory. People are advised to self isolate for 14 days. Many people are coming home to families. How effective do you really think that type of “quarantine” works? Australia put their citizens into hotels for 14 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,002 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

murpho999 wrote: »

15,000 tests a day is not a PR exercise, it's a target they are working towards and they ar presently at 5,000 a day. By tests I mean results, not just swabs. They were at 2,000 last week.
    People do not accept it takes to get all these things up and running.

They said they were at 5000 a day, that is not true, they also said they were at 2000 per day also not true.

Since the start of the pandemic here we have averaged about 900 tests per day.

Last week they averaged 1745 per day although in the press conference they said they are only carrying out 1500 per day so maybe they were at 2000 for a short time but they did not sustain it and are now back to 1500 per day.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Don't assume anything around here, that's exactly what they're suggesting

Would be totally in breach of Irish people's constitutional rights to refuse them entry to their own country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I really don't know what would be involved with relaxation the measures.

It's hard to see hard to see if schools will be allowed to open. I really cants see schools opening until September. Especially it's considered this virus, children can be carriers without showing symptoms. So that would mean children can pass it around onto others and bring it home. I just can't see schools opening until September. Maybe the states exams might be allowed to go ahead although I don't know how that can happen considering the social distancing will have to be maintained more than likely.

They said they were at 5000 a day, that is not true, they also said they were at 2000 per day also not true.

Last week they averaged 1745 per day although in the press conference they said they are only carrying out 1500 per day so maybe they were at 2000 for a short time but they did not sustain it and are now back to 1500 per day.

At 15,000 a day We would end up testing 1.5 million people in 100 days - 30% of the population

Is that the numbers they expect to be infected?

Would be totally in breach of Irish people's constitutional rights to refuse them entry to their own country.

No one here is saying to deny entry to Irish citizens

Deby - You don't own this country - they are citizens just like you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

Thats an eye opener.

The Atlantic one (talking about how hard this is to contain) and the CNN one (mentionibg other effects of the virus) seem fine to me.

Similar for the az central one depending on what they mean by overreact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,529 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Under Obama an estimated 65 million Americans had been infected with the 2009 A H1N1 Virus and 20,000 plus Americans had died.
    But no one pointed the finger at Obama, and life never changed, no lockdown, no closing of country.

It's hard to see hard to see if schools will be allowed to open. I really cants see schools opening until September. Especially it's considered this virus, children can be carriers without showing symptoms. So that would mean children can pass it around onto others and bring it home. I just can't see schools opening until September. Maybe the states exams might be allowed to go ahead although I don't know how that can happen considering the social distancing will have to be maintained more than likely.

They do have to reopen the businesses and companies fairly sharpish though.....it's not even optional. Lockdown for six months would virtually wipe out the economy (causing far more damage than any virus).

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

They said today that they've been doing 1500 tests a day over the last week due to a shortage of tests. It seems Ireland has difficulties securing tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

I see the US saying testing without being able to process the samples is a waste of time and a broken system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

cj maxx wrote: »
    I wouldn't even give him that much credit. A harlequin showman who reads lines ( badly) from a teleprompter and when is required to give an actual answer blows smoke up the yanks asses with talk of ' beautiful' this and that. Greatest country in the world blah blah. A game show host.!

Ruling class hubris. It will never happen here nonsense. The manipulation of the population's psychosis by the ruling class is unreal. Their paranoia about Russia and China a prime example. Bomb the **** out of any country that stands in their way. The US will implode, maybe not because of this, but soon.

There is. All people entering the country are told to isolate for 14 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

MipMap wrote: »
    At 15,000 a day We would end up testing 1.5 million people in 100 days - 30% of the population

Is that the numbers they expect to be infected?

I suppose the more you test the more you understand how the virus as developed in the population. You can also get to forecast the amount who will need critical care or ICU. It also means you could test all your medical and essential service people quickly. It seems like a logical project otherwise you are living in the dark and only guessing if front line staff have it or if there is surge coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

We can, but the Government is wasting valuable time.

We will need a rapid covid-19 response team:
    - 2 hour response and test anywhere in the country
    - Actual real quarantine (in covid19 hotels) of anyone testing positive.
    - Testing and tracing of all contacts.
    - 14 days self quarantine (monitored and legally enforced) for these contacts plus follow-up tests.

- Impeccable transmission prevention measure in hospitals and nursing homes.

- Mandatory 14 day quarantine for everyone arriving to the country from anywhere that's not 100% covid-19 free.

These measures will stop any outbreak in its tracks and allow 99.99% of the population get on with their lives once the outbreak is squashed.

But these measures need to be in place in a few of weeks time, otherwise everything we're going through now is all for nothing (in the long run) and we're just 6 weeks away from this all over again.

• Advertisement

The Govt couldn't do it even if they wanted to. Every Irish citizen has a constitutional right to re-enter the country and cannot be refused entry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement