Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,002 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1245136063187869698

"The President's Coronavirus Guidelines For America"

Professor in Virology and Epidemiology; Donald Trump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

davedanon wrote: »
    I think these are ranked 1 and 2, worldwide. So Ireland is no.3?

Ranked 3 for what ?

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Agree. We are doing good so far at managing case numbers.

Nursing home clusters have raised the death rates significantly. That cannot be ignored.

Seems to be the case in many countries certainly in Italy, Spain, USA and here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,698 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1245136063187869698

"The President's Coronavirus Guidelines For America"

Professor in Virology and Epidemiology; Donald Trump

It's funny how all the experts talk as if everything is Trumps idea - under the direction of Trump, at the request of Trump....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

South Korea or Singapore.
    How much money have the people laid off in both countries been given to get by .

How much money have the people laid off in both countries been given to get by .

How much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I don’t think anyone’s been laid off, there’s no lockdown, my friend in South Korea says there is no lockdown they just obey the government to wear masks always and they don’t socialize, just go to work and home.

It's a very VERY tiny small minority of people who would suggest our Government are not doing enough... Nobody actually takes any notice of such negative Facebook'ish type commenty people.
    That is the truth.
    Can’t really get my head around it , same people spouting the same crap day after day but **** me the government might not be perfect but they are handling this better than a lot of the so called powerhouse nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

voluntary wrote: »
    It may be time for everyone to mask up
    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is having second thoughts about masks.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/health/cdc-masks-coronavirus.html

I've been banging on about this for ages now.

It was encouraging to see Journalists at the daily briefing today raising the issue.

Maybe what we say here does get heard where it matters.

• Advertisement

How much?

Don’t know I’m asking you so I can compare to us .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

1200+ members of the NYPD have the Coronavirus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭dockysher

Would another mass help?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

murpho999 wrote: »
    The whole world is struggling with the this crisis.

It's now a global crisis.

I don't see the point in turning this into a political issue and blaming our politicians with hilarious names.

15,000 tests a day is not a PR exercise, it's a target they are working towards and they are presently at 5,000 a day. By tests I mean results, not just swabs. They were at 2,000 last week.
    People do not accept it takes to get all these things up and running.

Constant sniping at politicians and other geniuses pointing out how they predicted this crisis the moment they heard a person in Wuhan had a sore throat is boring , and that the government should have gone full lock-down in February,achieve nothing and make this thread unreadable.

In the meantime our death rates remain low compared to other countries and that's nothing to do with the impact of the decisions taken by the government. It now means their forecasts were false.

Just on that 5000 tests a day - both Cillian De Gascun (chair of the HSE’s Coronavirus Expert Advisory Group) and Dr. Tony Holohan (our Chief Medical officer) said tonight that we are doing 1,500 per day.

“Over the last week we have seen a significant fall-off in the number of tests provided because of the shortfall in global supplies, so we’re probably in or around 1,500 per day, that’s across the country,” Cillian De Gascun

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-equipment-shortfall-brings-test-results-down-to-1-500-a-day-1.4217295

MipMap wrote: »
    I've been banging on about this for ages now.

It was encouraging to see Journalists at the daily briefing today raising the issue.

Maybe what we say here does get heard where it matters.
    Masks are 100% to way to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

skimpydoo wrote: »

Be interesting to see the death toll of that group. Interesting is probably morbidly wrong to use, but a police force should be healthy imo.

• Advertisement

Don’t know I’m asking you so I can compare to us .
    Why don't you look it up yourself if it is important for you to compare us?

Be interesting to see the death toll of that group. Interesting is probably morbidly wrong to use, but a police force should be healthy imo.

Not like there are lots of overweight US cops or anything

94734-large-497987.jpg

There are face shields for sale on pigsback.com.

https://www.pigsback.com/en-ie/offer/438437/cndb

Why don't you look it up yourself if it is important for you to compare us?

You said you would rather live there so I’m just interested what the standards of living is like in both compared to here .

fin12 wrote: »

Getting one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

:eek:

*Math

We really need to up the standard here

Everyone knows it's Maths and Maula :D

That frankly looks ridiculous

fritzelly wrote: »

Yes they do but if it means not getting the virus.

These seem to very popular in China in the effected areas. Going forward I really think masks should be compulsory for the next few months if your out in public

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

MipMap wrote: »
    Because we Are IRISH we are not Australians.

They are dealing with the virus a lot better than us and have a lot less deaths. Maybe we should use some on their methods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,732 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Looks like only those entertaining who are symptomatic will be quarantined, all others are asked to isolate

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/about-us/covid-19/coronavirus-update-inz-response

So what is the difference between quarantine and isolate :o:confused:

These seem to very popular in China in the effected areas. Going forward I really think masks should be compulsory for the next few months if your out in public

I just think it’s scarywhat a South Korean doctor was saying u can get infected through your eyes so it’s like f*ck sake I’m wearing a mask, but still not fully protected. I suppose I could start wearing glasses going out.

Strazdas wrote: »
    The Govt couldn't do it even if they wanted to. Every Irish citizen has a constitutional right to re-enter the country and cannot be refused entry.

We are an island, how are they gonna enter if we ban all flights expect cargo flights

It Does a bit, But they are much neater ones on Screwfix.
    All out of Stock!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,002 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

EUepXTPWAAEpcwV?format=jpg&name=large

• Advertisement

That will soon be just one big dark red blob

You said you would rather live there so I’m just interested what the standards of living is like in both compared to here .
    I did not say I would rather live there , he asked where would I rather be and I took up the question to mean which country has produced a better reaction to the outbreak. I dint consider money because I am OK for money at the moment, maybe I should have. What I was considering was the medical reaction and they are certainly well ahead of Ireland in that respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Not really ,plenty of less than healthy guards about, N.Y. won't be much different

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Quarantine - you know you're infected
    Isolate - you don't know so playing safe

So for everyone that thinks our government are doing such a **** job , please tell which country you would rather be in right now ?

China, Singapore, Japan, Korea, Australia, Israel and so many others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,732 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

South Korea or Singapore.

What is their numbers as in cases and deaths currently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

The source is absolute toilet paper but this would offer a fascinating study on a contained, we assume very healthy population. Let them float and let it play it's course and let's see. If nothing else it may save many innocent lives.

That will soon be just one big dark red blob
    If it is then Trump will fall.
    If not he may prevail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I just think it’s scarywhat a South Korean doctor was saying u can get infected through your eyes so it’s like f*ck sake I’m wearing a mask, but still not fully protected. I suppose I could start wearing glasses going out.

That's why wearing a mask is great...BUT... everyone wearing a mask is GREATER.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,909 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

skimpydoo wrote: »

About 3.3% of the force.

Not great reading... but still a fairly small percentage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

RugbyLad11 wrote: »

Lol. The full gamut of ideologies there.

The poorer people over there where wearing the 5lt water bottles over their heads with the ends cut out , no joke .

That's why wearing a mask is great...BUT... everyone wearing a mask is GREATER.

And finding a mask (from a reputable supplier not at 10x normal price) would greaterer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Ace2007 wrote: »
    They may lax the rules somewhat but when you have healthcare workers being asked to live in isolation (i.e. healthcare workers not all living together), you can't let the general public go out to the beach at the weekend.

Like people say that the city is dead etc, but if you went into a hospital it's probably been as busy as it's every been, especially ICU beds.

I think I'll be working from home until August at the earliest - I hope I'm wrong - I just don't see how they can let everything go back to normal without a widescale vaccine.

I am due to start mat leave in May. Currently working from home. I doubt I will see the office again before the end of my mat leave next year. It's so strange :(

Agree with other posters who said things will likely be phased back in. Restrictions wont be just switched off at midnight on some specific date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Isolate: You do as asked and go somewhere and don't come out for the prescribed period

Quarantine: Someone forces you into a compound surrounded by a tall razor-wire topped fence and men with guns on the outside keep you there for as long as they want.

• Advertisement

RugbyLad11 wrote: »

That can’t be serious answer or you really don’t watch world news

If you want to be "fully protected" put a condom over your head. Or better still, stay away from everyone for a long long time.

We have two eyes, two nostrils one (larger) mouth.

We don't tend to inhale water particles through our eyes.

It's always about probabilities-minimizing the risks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭spookwoman

What is their numbers as in cases and deaths currently?
    South Korea first case JAN 19 total case 9786 deaths per million 3
    Singapore first case JAN 22 total case 926 deaths per million 0.5
    Ireland first case FEB 28 total case 3235 deaths per million 14
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

The poorer people over there where wearing the 5lt water bottles over their heads with the ends cut out , no joke .

Ya I saw photos of that, some people in the Uk doing that aswell.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement