Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

scamalert wrote: »
    at least someone not hysteric or delusional totally agree end of April should see us back to slow re-open and some sort of normalcy.

for those who ask why end of April, its simple 2 weeks now is more the enough that has been done, and if theres no manageable decline after next 2 weeks its pointless to put any more restrictions in place as it will just irritate people and seriously impact where employment income is concerned for most.

I don't think we will see much normalcy at the end of April. The virus will still be in the community and any easing of restrictions will see a second wave of the virus which will mean a new lock-up.

We need a large percentage of the population to have recovered from this before things will come back to normal otherwise the heatlh service will be overrun and when that happens, more people die from this than necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

bilston wrote: »
    I think 10 May might be a bit optimistic to be honest, but I suppose that is a broad guide to what might happen. Probably the best we can hope for.

I think as well that even when restrictions are lifted, people may be reluctant for a while to go to hotels, restaurants, pubs, busy places in general.

Regards schools, they could in theory maybe be opened some time in June, but at that point I'd expect caution to win the day and they will probably remain closed until September.

But it all depends on how long the surge lasts.

I think this is a realistic timeline but no one knows. 4 weeks after peak should be enough to significantly reduce the volumes in hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Palmach wrote: »
    Yeah it is. A small cabal will always want more power when they have free reign. Many countries have less restrictions than us and many have more. I think we have the balance right. The civil service is hard wired to think or more and more rules. Once liberties are taken away they are slow to be returned. A point lost on the army of cretins on social media looking for their freedoms to be taken away.

This is nonsense. I don't think you understand why "freedoms" are being taken away at the moment. The more we respect the current restrictions the sooner freedoms will be returned. If we don't respect them the longer those freedoms will be removed.

You'd think we are all enjoying this? No-one is. We're trying to limit the spread of this virus as much as possible and also save lives and keep ICU's free of capacity.

We will have no-one to blame but ourselves if we remain in a permanent lockdown until a vaccine is found which realistically could be a year from now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Just a quick question hoping its ok to post in this thread. My usual prescription ran out a few days ago. If it was any other time I would go to the docs to get another script written out for it for another 6 months. I need this medication again by Friday. Do I still have to go to the doctors just to get him to write me a new script or can I just ask the pharmacy for the medication over the counter so I dont have to go to the doctors and risk catching? (Its the contaceptive pill btw Ive been on it for years so the pharmacy staff know me). Thanks.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0327/1126911-ireland-restrictions-covid19/

March 28th:

"- Pharmacists will be permitted to dispense medicines outside of the current period of validity with an existing prescription in line with the pharmacists clinical judgement"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Scotland to ban the sale of alcohol during pandemic period, I can see some Scots rioting because of this, stuck in the house and dry. https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1262135/alcohol-ban-UK-has-alcohol-been-banned-UK-ban-alcohol-sales-hoax-government-letter

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I've zero political affiliation.

I'd no idea what party she was from until i went back on there to get her name, all i'd seen was that she was a TD, her username is Jennifer Whitmore TD, no mention of any party. SD's got a vote from me in the last election. Their candidate was one of the only ones that knocked on my door and seemed like a decent and genuine lad.
    Funny that you say that but are constantly putting the boot into the efforts being massage to contain the virus and have made no positive contribution to these threads.

You have only engaged in petty political point scoring. It's absolutely pathetic.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

An antibody test that is quick and readily available would be a game changer

Think one is being tested in Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

yes lockdowns long term seem to fail, thats why they need to start with the test test test approach, but at least in Spain they don't seem arsed about it, they are only testing people in hospital.

My brother in law is a fireman, they are finding bodies in houses that died of covid, but aren't counted as covid deaths.

total ****show

Germany seems to be doing things right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,398 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Scotland to ban the sale of alcohol during pandemic period, I can see some Scots rioting because of this, stuck in the house and dry. https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1262135/alcohol-ban-UK-has-alcohol-been-banned-UK-ban-alcohol-sales-hoax-government-letter

PUBLISHED: 08:24, Wed, Apr 1, 2020

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,832 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Thinking of an expected timeline:

Cases to peak in the next 2 weeks by 15 April.
    Restrictions lifted on travel on May 1st back to what we had before last Friday.
    Cases start to reduce until a manageable level around 20th of May.
    Schools go back early June & Shops reopen.
    Everyone who can work from home continues to do so.
    Pubs reopen mid/late June with a rule that they can only let 50% of capacity in

I think it's naive to think Schools will be back open in June - especially as kids can spread this virus without many showing signs.

To me back to normality is when you can get on a plane and go anywhere in the world and not be fearful, like do you honestly think you would even go to the UK by end of April or May?

you talk about pubs and 50% capacity - when we saw what temple bar was like the day before they shut them - it's not practical to think this will happen.

If the restrictions are lifted too early we could end up in a much worse situation 2 months down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ah the joys of April 1!

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I don't think we will see much normalcy at the end of April. The virus will still be in the community and any easing of restrictions will see a second wave of the virus which will mean a new lock-up.

We need a large percentage of the population to have recovered from this before things will come back to normal otherwise the heatlh service will be overrun and when that happens, more people die from this than necessary.

Balancing the economic pressures is being increasingly talked about. But easing of restrictions doesnt mean 'back to normal'. It will still mean pubs are shut, large gatherings are banned, social distancing is applied (ie. limits to numbers in cafes and stores), schools are closed, everyone still works from home. But that businesses / retail can re-open, travel limitations are relaxed. I would expect that this slightly lighter restriction will prevail for a number of months

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Eh you do realise what day today is 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Stheno wrote: »
    An antibody test that is quick and readily available would be a game changer

Think one is being tested in Liverpool

Totally agree. I asked Simon this on one of his Insta lives Q&A sessions, but he never answered. It would make a huge difference. I know the UK are working on home testing kits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭tigger123

Scotland isn't banning the sale of alcohol.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,882 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Obviously an April fool joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

john4321 wrote: »

Feck! My sister just bloody April fooled me aaaaaargh! :eek::eek:

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

MadYaker wrote: »
    how many people generally arrive in Dublin every day before this kicked off? Must be tens of thousands. Where would we quarantine them all for 2 weeks? It’s not practical. No country on earth did this.

That's not true. Many countries implemented flight restrictions, quarantines and bans on foreign travellers. The US even implemented a ban on European travellers although by then it was far too late.

We don't have to ban flights from every country although at this stage covid19 is significant in almost every country. We could have taken a risk based approach based on where a flyer is coming from. We know London is now high risk with substantial under-reporting of cases. The same for New York. Flights should be limited from these high risk areas and those who do come in quarantined in a hotel. We're told its only a handful of passengers, so shouldn't be that big of a problem. Far better than allowing them home or into the community to infect their family or others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭BrianD3

quokula wrote: »
    When my Grandad died a couple of years ago, he was in his late 80s, caught some bug going around, ended up in hospital with pneumonia, and died a week later. A tragedy for us but business as usual for a hospital, nobody would ever consider an autopsy for such a case.

Statistics like annual flu deaths are calculated through models and estimation - at a very simplified level, you subtract death rate outside of flu season from death rate during flu season, to get deaths caused by flu. It's not at all routine to actually test for it when people have died because it's such a common thing.
    There was a professor from Italy on sky news this morning, he was stressing that Covid-19 is considerably worse than the flu - but at the same time was talking about the overlaps between flu and Covid-19 in terms of symptoms, the time of year and deaths. As far as I could tell, he said that some deaths in Italy were being attributed to Covid-19 based on respiratory symptoms, pneumonia etc. rather than tests for the Covid-19 virus.

As I posted a while back, the number of excess deaths in Italy attributed to the flu in the 16/17 season was 25,000 and couple of years earlier the figure was 20,000. Excess deaths that were deemed to be caused by the flu after examining mortality stats afterwards. Elderly people were most vulnerable. And if the number dying with the flu were included, the numbers would be higher again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rusty the athlete

Mean with 95% confidence interval would be the most meaningful data.

Not enough observations. You need lots to start making assumptions from a normal distribution.

shinny wrote: »
    Totally agree. I asked Simon this on one of his Insta lives Q&A sessions, but he never answered. It would make a huge difference. I know the UK are working on home testing kits.
    Holohan has been asked and said it would be useful but now is not the time for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

BattleCorp wrote: »

My guess is that on the 12th they’ll extend the current measures until the end of April and then we might see some sort of gradual relaxation. But I think we could be in some sort of lockdown after that if cases start to rise again. I wonder have the gov started to work on any sort of plan that extends beyond April?

Does anyone know what Tony Holohan (hse chief) means when he says they want to turn it from a community infection to a household one? I heard that in the presser last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Contact tracing is now thankfully less important as the average number of contacts is 3 (see CMO briefings).

These 3 people are mostly the people that patients live with (who would be expected to get infected anyway, so identifying them is not very important from the public health perspective).

This constant emphasis on testing delays is really obscuring the important message on maximum social distancing.

Yes, but tens of thousands of three people groups is still a lot of people that we don't know about. I know it's less of a concern, but not ideal by any means and this whole situation started off with just one person somewhere in China.

Feck! My sister just bloody April fooled me aaaaaargh! :eek::eek:

My brother told my sister in law this morning that the sale of alcholol is being banned in off licenses (including supermarkets) - She fell for it hook, line and sinker. Her face just dropped.

Cruel but funny :p

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

paw patrol wrote: »
    I think he makes a fair point , but we'll be back to normal before those dates

We can't afford the current situation and people will get restless. The common good mantra will only work so long before public order will breakdown.
    Lives need to be lived and people will only be content to live on 350e for so long

Well will relax restrictions on the 12th of April, from then maintain social distance etc, no way the 2km restriction from your home will be adhered to much longer.
    Social distance will stay for a while, pubs and restaurants will need to try and reopen late April and send kids to school, life must go on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

It's the shape of the graph that matters and whether it is linear or exponential.

Unfortunately it looks exponential at present and closer in shape to the worst case scenario behind Trump in this picture. The projected death rates are truly horrifying, even with best case scenario mitigation efforts.

the curve is tested cases, they were doing no testing so the earlier numbers a skewed in both graphs, way worse in the american case

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I don't know if this is an April fools but I said it last week that people are still going to have house parties and we need to make these parties as dry as possible.

Not enough observations. You need lots to start making assumptions from a normal distribution.

with each observation the data becomes more relevant - could also test other distributions

is_that_so wrote: »
    Holohan has been asked and said it would be useful but now is not the time for us.

I suppose that's fair enough. Perhaps when we peak it would be a time to begin looking at this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Funny that you say that but are constantly putting the boot into the efforts being massage to contain the virus and have made no positive contribution to these threads.

You have only engaged in petty political point scoring. It's absolutely pathetic.

So if i'm putting the boot into FF, FG, SF, and now the SD. What political party am I scoring points for?? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Palmach wrote: »
    Yeah it is. A small cabal will always want more power when they have free reign. Many countries have less restrictions than us and many have more. I think we have the balance right. The civil service is hard wired to think or more and more rules. Once liberties are taken away they are slow to be returned. A point lost on the army of cretins on social media looking for their freedoms to be taken away.

Nobody knows yet what the right balance is. If you impose a particularly strict regime, can it be sustained for long enough?
    Everyone is watching Sweden. They have not imposed as strict a regime as most other countries in Europe and social activities go on almost as normal there, but, because the regime is not so strict, it probably can sustained for much longer and may be more effective in the long run.

Balancing the economic pressures is being increasingly talked about. But easing of restrictions doesnt mean 'back to normal'. It will still mean pubs are shut, large gatherings are banned, social distancing is applied (ie. limits to numbers in cafes and stores), schools are closed, everyone still works from home. But that businesses / retail can re-open, travel limitations are relaxed. I would expect that this slightly lighter restriction will prevail for a number of months

We should also have to wear masks

They've said no to this based on evidence but you can wear one if you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

which you can't get and haven't been able to get for the last 2 months

so no

stay at home is more effective especially if ill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Just the ignorance. This is why it's spreading.

What if one of her kids picked it up and not showed signs, and they're going about the place as if everything is fine. They should introduce fines for all the ignorance.

Totally correct, I had it and just when we thought we were clear of it, my son developed symptoms. There is the possibility in the next two weeks that the one of the other three kids and wife develop symptoms (or simply get it and don't show symptoms). For my wife, the self isolation continues, I at least can now go to the shop and get the groceries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

ITman88 wrote: »
    Well will relax restrictions on the 12th of April, from then maintain social distance etc, no way the 2km restriction from your home will be adhered to much longer.
    Social distance will stay for a while, pubs and restaurants will need to try and reopen late April and send kids to school, life must go on
    paw patrol wrote: »
    I think he makes a fair point , but we'll be back to normal before those dates

We can't afford the current situation and people will get restless. The common good mantra will only work so long before public order will breakdown.
    Lives need to be lived and people will only be content to live on 350e for so long
    scamalert wrote: »
    at least someone not hysteric or delusional totally agree end of April should see us back to slow re-open and some sort of normalcy.

for those who ask why end of April, its simple 2 weeks now is more the enough that has been done, and if theres no manageable decline after next 2 weeks its pointless to put any more restrictions in place as it will just irritate people and seriously impact where employment income is concerned for most.

Permission to quote these posts again if we are still in total lockdown in a month's time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

So if i'm putting the boot into FF, FG, SF, and now the SD. What political party am I scoring points for?? :rolleyes:

Only you know what your logic is.

I don't have the time nor the inclination to find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Akabusi wrote: »
    Totally correct, I had it and just when we thought we were clear of it, my son developed symptoms. There is the possibility in the next two weeks that the one of the other three kids and wife develop symptoms (or simply get it and don't show symptoms). For my wife, the self isolation continues, I at least can now go to the shop and get the groceries.

Is that official advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

If everyone who arrived was quarantined at the airport for 14 days there would have been no significant spread here. Allowing new arrivals to spend their 'self isolation' with their families is just a recipe for further spread at home.

Trying to justify an 'open door' policy now is just plain reckless with the public's health, no matter how badly we have managed it in the past

Trusting the population with self isolation was disasterous too. I have first hand experience of someone who says they will continue going to the shop if they need to self isolate (instead of doing a bit of a stock pile shop).

Some people will do what is required and others not. Also, natives arriving into the country may not have any fresh milk and other food at home and are likely to stop at a shop for supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

is_that_so wrote: »
    They've said no to this based on evidence but you can wear one if you choose.

The evidence was - there's a massive shortage of masks. So better reserve the remaining ones for the people who need them most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

https://twitter.com/alexralph/status/1245257988979515393?s=19

Not an April fools!!

The company that ruined millions of lungs worldwide may be working to save them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Only you know what your logic is.

I don't have the time nor the inclination to find out.

Or the ability.

This insistence that any criticism levelled at the gov is simply for political point scoring is dull as ****.

whiskeyman wrote: »

Not an April fools!!

The company that ruined millions of lungs worldwide may be working to save them...

Can you come back and post this tomorrow, I might believe you then.

yes lockdowns long term seem to fail, thats why they need to start with the test test test approach, but at least in Spain they don't seem arsed about it, they are only testing people in hospital.

My brother in law is a fireman, they are finding bodies in houses that died of covid, but aren't counted as covid deaths.

total ****show

Germany seems to be doing things right.

It was the same in Italy.

Its obvious covid 19 was rampant in Italy before first being diagnosed there and also in Spain. Thousands of cases under the radar by the time they started testing. And also the same here and in the UK. Asymptomatic and mild sufferers have been spreading it for months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

john4321 wrote: »

It's no time for April fools jokes around this Covid-19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Permission to quote these posts again if we are still in total lockdown in a month's time?

sure!
    cos if we are - I'll be lamenting the situation and you can kick me when i'm down.:pac:

I just don't think we can afford to be in lockdown come 1st may financially or by other metrics.

we will see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,832 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

whiskeyman wrote: »

Not an April fools!!

Regardless of whether an April Fools or not, would you have a vaccine injected into you with only a few months worth of tests, if most vaccines take a year+ to be developed?

It could prevent this virus - but you could develop something far worse that won't be discovered for years to come for instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Absolutely scandalous revelations about the UK on Sky News now from Labour MP Peter Kyle.

Care homes are being limited to 5 tests per care home and over 75s who have coronavirus have been told they will not admitted to hospital when they test positive for the virus.

In addition in one care home a number of their residents have been offered do not resuscitate orders and 16 residents have signed them which is happening - apparently these offers are happening en-masse rather than in a thoughtful and caring setting with families.

It does seem that these people are essentially having their lives written off - no wonder the government don't want to include care home deaths and are only reporting hospital death figures!

• Advertisement

Between 15 and 25 March, new cases in Spain were growing at a rate of 20% a day. From 25 March, however, that rate dropped to 12% according to officials.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement