Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,831 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

eagle eye wrote: »
    As long as it takes. Doing it right means it only has to last about four weeks after you have no new positive tests.
    Doing it right means nobody in or out of the country, proper lockdown and social distancing at all times.
    Then we can let our citizens back in the street but you restrict travel until everywhere else is clear of it.
    And if you really, really have to travel then you get quarantined at your own expense for fourteen days upon your return.

And how are you going to deal with the little thing called the border - where we have no say on what happens - we aren't manning it - and any suggestion of doing so - could lead to all sorts of trouble, Imagine someone's army son was shot dead because he was asked the man the border - that could cause way more issues than this virus on the island of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

gabeeg wrote: »
    The terrible travel advice for Cheltenham and elsewhere will lead to many Irish infections and deaths.

Sorry if that upsets you, but it's fact.

Source?

I didn't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Ace2007 wrote: »
    And if he did that - then people would have found ways around it - just fly to Belfast and cross the border.

What i don't get is why everything that happens in this country people blame the government. No one ever thinks maybe they are doing all that they can, they can't stop the virus - no country has.

if they quarantined them in a hotel, and the chef died - then it would be the government's fault.

If they'd given travel advice that people should not attend, and anyone that does attend should self-quarantine for two weeks - then almost nobody would have gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Actually it would probably need to be twice a year and made compulsory.

Good luck with that.
    Before any of this started it was already difficult to get an appointment to see a gp with many gps refusing to take on new patients in Dublin and other cities.
    It’s easy to forget how bad it was but in reality the health services were struggling well before this and will continue to after

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Today's press conference lead by Dr Ronan Glynn is at 5:30pm

What's the betting the first question will be if Dr Tony has been tested followed by outrage if the answer is yes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭Allinall

The terrible travel advice for Cheltenham and elsewhere will lead to many Irish infections and deaths.

It's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Them same bottles of juice are mass produced in China from god knows what.anti freeze,cat piss,and a tea spoon of corona virus throw in.
    But yeah, vaping is good.
    The only thing you’re lungs are designed for is breathing.anything else is just not good for you.wouldnt surprise me in the least if vaping and corona virus are some ways connected in China.

A massive LOL. There's many different manufacturers around the world of them juice. I have a juice from an English company, and they have a cleanroom environment for their juice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Yeah he did during the press conference.

RTE reporting hes in for tests, expected to be released tomorrow and deputy cmo Ronan Glynn will head up this evenings press conference.

Non covid related for the CMO they also say

I honestly don't see how they can say that these days. Anyone feeling unwell has to presume they might have CV until tests are done. I presume he's tested fairly regularly. But he's in a very public position where social distancing is virtually impossible. I wish him a speedy recovery whatever he has.

If they'd given travel advice that people should not attend, and anyone that does attend should self-quarantine for two weeks - then almost nobody would have gone.

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

How many test are they doing at the moment do you know?
    Why are you asking me that.

Every day you ask that question and dont seem to watch the actaul daily briefings.

Then you take a number and extrapolate and speculate about that number over many posts.

Rinse and repeat.

Why don't you tell me how many tests are being performed each day? Its all you talk about.

• Advertisement

easypazz wrote: »
    Source?

I didn't think so.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/sport/other-sport/coronavirus-cheltenham-symptoms-latest-updates-17942590

I'd be able to prove the fact further, but your beloved government haven't put adequate testing in place.

Source?

functioning brain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

These folks went came home and all went to a pub afterwards, this was probably the night of the Temple bar incident. All including the man that died were well aware of the risks at this point, yet went to the pub anyway. Yet it's Leo's fault for not forcing them to stay at home at that point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Thanks for posting this as it’s what I’ve been arguing is the case for days.

Looks like this is not the case and that you are mistaken.
    Ice Storm wrote: »
    An update from Gavan Reilly on ICU numbers.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/sport/other-sport/coronavirus-cheltenham-symptoms-latest-updates-17942590

I'd be able to prove the fact further, but your beloved government haven't put adequate testing in place.

Well done, a media article, a paper never refuses ink as they say.

functioning brain

Good for you, great effort to backup your point. Well done again.

owlbethere wrote: »
    A massive LOL. There's many different manufacturers around the world of them juice. I have a juice from an English company, and they have a cleanroom environment for their juice.

I’d rather take my chances with tobacco than bottles of snake oil if I had to choose.
    In 20 years there will be research supporting how harmful the vapes are in my opinion.
    Your lungs aren’t designed to be inhaling bottles of that

Where are they going to self-quarantine?

The virus was in this country long before Cheltenham - whether want to believe that or not - didn't a family of 4 in Clare come back from skiing in Austria and one of them a healthcare worker - went to work and resulted in 100+ healthcare workers having to self isolate.

Now i didn't see any tweet outing that person for endangering the lives of their colleagues? None at all, because it's not their fault.

Just like it's not Leo's fault for some lad dying - in fact i doubt any journalist or anybody in fact, would put a tweet up against their name accusing a healthcare worker of spreading the virus and/or leading to deaths - but it's open game on government ministers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ace2007 wrote:
    And how are you going to deal with the little thing called the border - where we have no say on what happens - we aren't manning it - and any suggestion of doing so - could lead to all sorts of trouble, Imagine someone's army son was shot dead because he was asked the man the border - that could cause way more issues than this virus on the island of Ireland.
    I see the type you are now, you just keep putting up road blocks.

We can use our status as an island to reduce travel here as much as possible. But NI also have to play their part.

A lot of people miss the "as much as possible" part.

And there are still a small number of people who would quite happily have continued flights from Northern Italy right up to today, and see no need to restrict and control flights from places like London and New York and quarantine for two weeks anyone coming from there, our government being among that small number.

You will never break the cycle of new infections if you keep introducing additional ones from outside. Its a classic fuel on the fire scenario. We're going to end up in economic lockdown for at least a year because of this, at least until the vaccine comes on stream.

• Advertisement

lbj666 wrote: »
    These folks went came home and all went to a pub afterwards, this was probably the night of the Temple bar incident. All including the man that died were well aware of the risks at this point, yet went to the pub anyway. Yet it's Leo's fault for not forcing them to stay at home at that point.

The official government advice was that it was fine to go.

the gob****es that went to the festival were following government advice, ergo the gov are to blame.

It was awful, awful advice

Surely Leo should have placed all over 70's under house arrest since March 1st, and closed Irish airspace since March 1st, and left 20000 Irish stranded in Spain, and left all the school tours in Italy.

He is a disgrace so he is. He caused it all, all on his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

We mightn't be able to go much further than our gardens for a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Ice Storm wrote: »
    An update from Gavan Reilly on ICU numbers.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1245289339086680075?s=19

This is some battle to be correct on the ICU beds situation, I don't know who to cheer for, Nox has already done a victory lap and speech now this. Great drama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Dr Tony Holohan in hospital for tests unrelated to coronavirus - expected to be released tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Agreed, it wouldn’t have been worth the risk

These press conferences are a strange one. If the HSE provided a daily report and then journalists submitted written questions with the HSE answering in time for their news bulletins would it not be just as effective? In one of the press conferences one of the journalists was scrolling through Twitter while a question was being answered from another journalist.

I have to say a lot of questions and issues being raised here are then subsequently raised by journalists so for all the talk about the public not following social media I am glad that these threads are being followed somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

You would find it very hard to find any country that can keep up with their own demand for testing, let alone take on thousands of samples from another country.

China must have a huge testing infrastructure with some spare capacity as they seem to be getting it under control. We have EI aircraft flying daily there for PPE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

the Netherlands are still going for herd immunity:

Lockdown unnecessary - says health agency
    "as long as people stick to the current measures - keep 1.5 meters apart, don't go outside if you're sick, wash your hands regularly, and avoid touching your face. "
    https://nltimes.nl/2020/04/01/covid-19-curve-flattening-lockdown-unnecessary-says-health-agency

this with:

1,152 patients currently treated in ICUs

total number of deaths is now 1,173

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭blackcard

obi604 wrote: »
    I see Tony Holohan is in hospital - for something unrelated to Corona

Probably stress. Not surprised. Every day on the nations airwaves, high pressure stuff.

What stress? Sure some of the people on here think this whole operation is simple and can be easily managed. If they were managing this, we would have no cases at all. Any more than this is failure. Sure a couple of weeks ago, they were warning of a worldwide shortage of reagents

Dr Tony Holohan in hospital for tests unrelated to coronavirus - expected to be released tomorrow

If we got 10 cent for every time that was mentioned on here,we could chip it all in and get him lucozade,grapes and a fcukin taxi home when he’s discharged

eagle eye wrote: »
    I see the type you are now, you just keep putting up road blocks.

And your the type that calls the government clowns for the way they have handled this situation - yet i doubt you would name other countries and governments who have handled it well? Just name one -

You want us to turn into North Korea over night - and to hell with everyone - that's how your coming across - close the country - but you don't think of the practicalities in that - what exactly that means - and how would you deal with the North.

Like i said it's easier for people to blame the government than blame society and people around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Stheno wrote: »
    What's the betting the first question will be if Dr Tony has been tested followed by outrage if the answer is yes?

He might have had a sample taken if had symptoms which Is unlikely given statement to rte. It then would go to a lab to be tested which would take at least a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Who are you talking about that passed away ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,708 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

If we got 10 cent for every time that was mentioned on here,we could chip it all in and get him lucozade,grapes and a fcukin taxi home when he’s discharged

Who?? :)

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    He could've made quarantine compulsory for them, as well as for anyone else coming from abroad.

Well, from the account, they came straight home and went to the pub. Zero personal responsibility. Also, is there any evidence whatsoever that any of that crew had the virus?

Seems like no one in the country wants to the personal responsibility for anything. It's always the Goberment. Have we handled this well, probably not, but so far we seen to have managed better than most of western Europe

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Who are you talking about that passed away ?

Some old man died in Tralee, seems he went to the pub, there were people there that had been in Cheltenham and people are saying Leo murdered the old man and this whole thing is Leo's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

The official government advice was that it was fine to go.

the gob****es that went to the festival were following government advice, ergo the gov are to blame.

It was awful, awful advice

But was it fine to go the pub when they came back? The first set of restrictions came the Thursday of Cheltenham, they went, weren't told to isolate but the country was starting to close up shop, social distancing was being heavily emphasised but they said **** it I'm off to the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

cj maxx wrote: »
    Who?? :)
    The CMO.

Well, from the account, they came straight home and went to the pub. Zero personal responsibility. Also, is there any evidence whatsoever that any of that crew had the virus?

Seems like no one in the country wants to the personal responsibility for anything. It's always the Goberment. Have we handled this well, probably not, but so far we seen to have managed better than most of western Europe

This. With the benefit of hindsight all these people are looking back and saying Leo should have done X / Y Z differently.

I'd say it is killing the shinners that FG are doing a reasonable job at this.

• Advertisement

crossman47 wrote: »
    It was always clear the number in ICU was at the point in time but some people kept questioning it.

It is clear that it is accumulated, if you read the reports. The hse are giving him wrong information.

How can your put down the total number of Covid patients, give the percent that needed hospital and the percent of that that needed ICU and claim it’s in there now??? People have died and got better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Sweden experiencing so much more deaths than other Scandinavian countries with harsher lockdowns
    Total in Sweden : 240 dead, ICU 400

Norway : 43 deaths.. ICU 100
    Finland : 17 deaths.. ICU 100

Sweden is about twice the population of them but still

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Tootsie_1

So Dr. Tony Holohan is in Hospital non covid 19 related I d say he thought he was having a heart attack, feral Bowers just said he told them at the time he wasn't feeling well and was holding his chest.

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    So Dr. Tony Holohan is in Hospital non covid 19 related I d say he thought he was having a heart attack, feral Bowers just said he told them at the time he wasn't feeling well and was holding his chest.

Thank you for sharing that breaking news with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Some old man died in Tralee, seems he went to the pub, there were people there that had been in Cheltenham and people are saying Leo murdered the old man and this whole thing is Leo's fault.

There are some real knob heads out there.

No fan of Fg or leo but himself and Harris etc. have really delivered.

Danzy wrote: »
    There are some real knob heads out there.

No fan of Fg or leo but himself and Harris etc. have really delivered.

Any minute now there will be an attack on this post....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

A difficult day for Wales, recording 29 deaths today:

https://covid19-phwstatement.nhs.wales

Surely Leo should have placed all over 70's under house arrest since March 1st, and closed Irish airspace since March 1st, and left 20000 Irish stranded in Spain, and left all the school tours in Italy.

He is a disgrace so he is. He caused it all, all on his own.

Charter flights for all of these and 2 week isolation at home at the very least. Not leaving open commercial flights to and from that area for more than 2 weeks after the area was identified as having a serious outbreak. And then encouraging doctors to go back to work which was stupid advice.

It provided a critical bridge for covid19 to jump unrestricted to Ireland. For that I do blame Leo.

Did he learn from this mistake? Of course he fckin didn't. He's now making the same mistake with London and New York air flights. He never learns. A week from now he will ask for flights to be grounded, except again it will be two weeks too late as always. And he'll do it as a massive PR exercise and the FG base will hail him as the greatest ever.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

crossman47 wrote: »
    And where would he have put them all?

Uh, I dunno, their own houses?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement