Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I’d murder a pot noodle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong.

200 countries have it, so we are doing pretty well if there are only 3 countries that you think are doing better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Counting the votes at present.
    Seemingly he has topped the poll for his panel and he expects to be elected within the next hour.

Don't suppose all the Senators and backbench TDs will take significant pay cuts seeing as they are doing F A right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Boggles wrote: »
    Well I haven't seen this guy without in a while.

P01-200311-340.jpg

Ah Winnie the Pooh

jams100 wrote: »
    What idiots are using gloves for the likes of driving their car? Then deciding to just throw them on the ground.
    Just went for a walk and in a 1km stretch there were 8 pairs. There really needs to be a cull on the amount of stupid gombeans in Ireland. The virus is no need to act like a s**mbag!

Selfish,entitled fcukers that’s who.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,001 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I’d murder a pot noodle.

Why do you get the same size soy sauce sachet in a regular pot noodle as you do in a king size pot noodle?

This is not logical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

a virus that kills a small percentage of the very old, the very sick and the very fat.

As Trump would say you must look beautiful. You think you do anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

easypazz wrote: »
    200 countries have it, so we are doing pretty well if there are only 3 countries that you think are doing better.

They followed best practice and still are.

Generally its a good idea to follow best international practice. 101 for dealing with any crisis. European countries and the US completely ignored the lessons from China and still are, particularly around returning second wave infections.

Its not hindsight when you've been give 2 months of a warning and ignore it. Its stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭spookwoman

How many people on here are wearing masks when shopping? I'm seeing more people wearing them about the place.

My understanding is they are effective in terms of shielding water droplets, and for helping to prevent spreading it if you do have it, but that's about it. And that you have to be careful when taking it off and putting it on.

add 3 in the house plus gloves etc. And the gloves are disposed of properly, not dumped on the ground

Why do you get the same size soya sauce sachet in a regular pot noodle as you do in a large pot noodle?

This is not logical.

Mango sachet was in my last one.straight in the bin with that nonsense

• Advertisement

It's the last grasp of the economy merchants 'oh the death rates aren't excessive'. Because you have to wait until early next year for excess over and above the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

devnull wrote: »
    Steep acceleration for the UK at this point, catching the other worms after being behind.

507866.jpg

THE WORST CHART EVER MADE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

THE WORST CHART EVER MADE

That’s a graph mate

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

Ace2007 wrote: »
    But one poster is saying you self isolate them on entry - i.e. you don't give them a choice - arrive in Dublin airport - straight to hotel and you can't leave -

The way your saying above - is that way it is at the moment.

… and the government should pay for 2 weeks bed and full board for all these people in a hotel?? we are not China!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Not sure what Ronan McGreevy is playing at in the Irish Times blog: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-state-seeks-to-contain-spread-in-nursing-homes-and-hospitals-1.4217635

Posts an update about 3000 people possibly dying of Covid in Northern Ireland over the next 20 weeks, then proceeds to post an April Fools joke about primary schools just after. Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

British acted like morons and now this pays off. Large festivals during pandemic? What can possibly go wrong?

Strip these deaths out of the figures and suddenly this 'global-killer' begins to look a lot less worthy of the current hysteria being generated.

In future years, people may look back and question why the economy was flushed down the toilet over a virus that kills a small percentage of the very old, the very sick and the very fat.

The economic effects will probably kill way more people indirectly over the coming years.
    Great for the bankers and billionaires who are loaning us all this money. We'll be paying them interest for decades. Buffet - best friends of Bill Gates - planning to bail out hotels and airlines etc

zinfandel wrote: »
    … and the government should pay for 2 weeks bed and full board for all these people in a hotel?? we are not China!

China doesn't pay these hotel fees. Tourists pay.

• Advertisement

voluntary wrote: »
    British acted like morons and now this pays off. Large festivals during pandemic? What can possibly go wrong?

And going by the tube pics late last week they are far from peaking.

Sad to say it. A lot of Irish there and in the US too and of ancestry of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

MadYaker wrote: »
    That’s a graph mate

noun
    noun: chart; plural noun: charts

a sheet of information in the form of a table, graph, or diagram.

Ya big dummy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Of course yearly figures will give the full picture.

But without scaremongering we can safely say we have major growth in death rates.

Could you provide a source for your claim about Italy having flu pandemics causing 54,000 deaths a year?
    54000 would be the excess mortality due to flu over a study period of a number of Italian flu seasons some of which are much worse than others. 25,000 excess deaths due to flu in 2016/2017 flu season, there is a link to the source for this figure in one of my previous posts.

Even in a good flu season, there are several thousand flu deaths in Italy.

An Italian professor was on sky news this morning talking about the flu season and how it has overlapped with Covid-19 "season", how symptoms can be similar and how Covid-19 may be being diagnosed based on symptoms rather than based on virus testing.

If, at the end of the year or whenever final mortality statistics are available, it turns out to have been a "very good" flu season in Italy, questions will have to be asked about whether flu deaths have been attributed to Covid-19 and if panic in the healthcare system over Covid-19 made matters worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

paw patrol wrote: »
    have they?
    the testing process is a sham. They could have acted sooner on foreign travel etc.. they didn't. They acted in the interest of business in particular the insurance industry.

They are managing the optics well , and managing the mood and expectations very well with good speeches etc...wheeling out Dr. Holohan etc.. which is positive.

We'll see when the dust settles how successful or correct they were

That is incorrect in the case of the insurance industry. There have been several public pronouncements telling the insurance industry to err on the side of the customer where there is ambiguity.Obviously there is a fortune at stake for the insurance industry so they are avoiding payment if at all possible. There is a long way to go yet regarding insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Sure why didn't you run against him?

I've no idea why you're so hostile to me pointing out the truth? :confused:

I've no opinion on David Norris one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

How many people on here are wearing masks when shopping? I'm seeing more people wearing them about the place.

My understanding is they are effective in terms of shielding water droplets, and for helping to prevent spreading it if you do have it, but that's about it. And that you have to be careful when taking it off and putting it on.

I wear a mask.

Wearing a mask is about protecting the people around you. It's about not coughing your droplets into the air.

How many people out there have the Virus and either don’t know, aren’t sure or will never be tested because they don’t meet the criteria.

How many people are either asymptomatic or have symptoms so mild, they pass it on without even knowing. There is a complacency, or at least a false sense of security.

We should all be wearing masks and keeping the virus to ourselves. Wearing a mask could save a life. If you have the virus – and you may not know you have it – wearing a mask means you keep it to yourself.

I’m stunned that not a single public figure has worn a mask yet.

Not a single reporter, politician or HSE representative. Not the Chief Medical Officer, the Minister for Health or the Taoiseach. Not Claire Byrne or Ryan Tubridy or any other TV Prenter/reporter. Not a single Irish celebrity or public figure has worn a mask on TV.

PLEASE can just one single public figure wear a mask and lead by example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

spookwoman wrote: »
    add 3 in the house plus gloves etc. And the gloves are disposed of properly, not dumped on the ground

Do you think they do anything? I've heard they are easy to get on Amazon and eBay now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

voluntary wrote: »

Surely a resigning as PM matter for Johnson if the worst case scenario happens as is looking more and more likely.

Not a single reporter, politician or HSE representative. Not the Chief Medical Officer, the Minister for Health or the Taoiseach. Not Claire Byrne or Ryan Tubridy or any other TV Prenter/reporter. Not a single Irish celebrity or public figure has worn a mask on TV.

Is it maybe because the WHO aren't or at least weren't advocating we wear them?

When Tubridy did that demo test on the Late Late, he defo looked quite peaky! I'm sure everyone around him has gotten tested or gone for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

Mango sachet was in my last one.straight in the bin with that nonsense

here me out here.... since your into throwing out the mango sachet anyway, have you ever tried the curry pot noddle with grated cheese and mayo? (without the mango sachet obvs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Do you think they do anything? I've heard they are easy to get on Amazon and eBay now.

Using ffp3 masks used by sprayers etc. They create a seal on the face so yes I would say they do something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

ITman88 wrote: »
    We are not discussing shut downs, we are discussing inaccurate death rates.

Death rates which are complete speculation.

I’ve posted the link below to the recent flu pandemics in Italy.

They have had stark warning for years now, and had time to prepare the health service in the way both Singapore and Toronto did.
    This shouldn’t of been a shock to anyone

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1201971219303285
    Two potential flaws in that argument.

Unproven asymptomatic transmission for influenza, proven or generally acknowledged widespread asymptomatic transmission of COVID-19.

'Flu normally only infectious for a day or so before symptoms appear, COVID-19 upto 5-10 days and some outliers longer.

Think future studies will probably ascribe asymptomatic transmission and cultural norms as a main driver of infection, and possible higher cohort of vulnerable after 2020 season.

Bad effective in-hospital segregation, and low PPEd medical staff, due to very late recognition that it was not behaving like a 'flu which was probably what they were preconditioned to in view of the previous 'flu epidemics.

Saw very telling report on Sky News yesterday of an Italian hospital with very low or zero transmission to staff, they had rigorous protocols in place and comprehensive PPE.

here me out here.... since your into throwing out the mango sachet anyway, have you ever tried the curry pot noddle with grated cheese and mayo? (without the mango sachet obvs)

No but I’ll give it a try when I get some in the next online shop.sounds good cheers for the suggestion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Don't suppose all the Senators and backbench TDs will take significant any pay cuts seeing as they are doing F A right now.

FYP.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,840 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

noun
    noun: chart; plural noun: charts

a sheet of information in the form of a table, graph, or diagram.

Ya big dummy
    Give it a rest - there are numerous warnings about remaining civil to each other

Using ffp3 masks used by sprayers etc. They create a seal on the face so yes I would say they do something.

Those are the ones I had in mind alright, vs. the surgical ones which are the masks for droplets only.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Now with Wimbledon gone, not surprisingly, the lack of sport in general will contribute to mental health problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

I wear a mask.

Wearing a mask is about protecting the people around you. It's about not coughing your droplets into the air.

How many people out there have the Virus and either don’t know, aren’t sure or will never be tested because they don’t meet the criteria.

How many people are either asymptomatic or have symptoms so mild, they pass it on without even knowing. There is a complacency, or at least a false sense of security.

We should all be wearing masks and keeping the virus to ourselves. Wearing a mask could save a life. If you have the virus – and you may not know you have it – wearing a mask means you keep it to yourself.

They have not worn one because their effect is negligible in the capacity that you are describing. And they are needed by front line workers where they can really make a difference. As there is a shortage I would prefer them to have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Strip these deaths out of the figures and suddenly this 'global-killer' begins to look a lot less worthy of the current hysteria being generated.

In future years, people may look back and question why the economy was flushed down the toilet over a virus that kills a small percentage of the very old, the very sick and the very fat.

The economic effects will probably kill way more people indirectly over the coming years.

That comedian was correct... Market worship has become a death cult.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

BrianD3 wrote: »
    54000 would be the excess mortality due to flu over a study period of a number of Italian flu seasons some of which are much worse than others. 25,000 excess deaths due to flu in 2016/2017 flu season, there is a link to the source for this figure in one of my previous posts.

Even in a good flu season, there are several thousand flu deaths in Italy.

An Italian professor was on sky news this morning talking about the flu season and how it has overlapped with Covid-19 "season", how symptoms can be similar and how Covid-19 may be being diagnosed based on symptoms rather than based on virus testing.

If, at the end of the year or whenever final mortality statistics are available, it turns out to have been a "very good" flu season in Italy, questions will have to be asked about whether flu deaths have been attributed to Covid-19 and if panic in the healthcare system over Covid-19 made matters worse.

54000 more deaths were attributed comparing 2015 and 2014.

Interestingly some professor (I’ll find source) was discussing the notifiable disease list, and was alluding to the fact that cause of death certs say covid 19 as opposed to respiratory failure.
    Essentially he also suggests no increase in death rate for this month/year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We all now know about models and worst case scenarios so a large sack of salt with this possible €30bn cost to the economy. That's another Anglo sized bill!

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0401/1127866-governments-covid-19-costs-could-hit-30-billion-kbc/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

RobertKK wrote: »
    Now with Wimbledon gone, not surprisingly, the lack of sport in general will contribute to mental health problems.

I'd say the lack of anything bar anxiety is taking it's toll anyway.

I, for one, am going mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Median length of stay in the ICU is 7 days as per HIQA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

1,100 police officers in NYC have tested positive
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/01/more-than-1000-new-york-city-police-officers-are-infected-with-coronavirus.html

Meanwhile 911 calls in the city are at the highest level ever recorded

I think it is scary what has happened to some of the most efficient and economically and socially developed socieites in the world in just a few weeks, how does the developing world stand any chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

domrush wrote: »
    Median length of stay in the ICU is 7 days as per HIQA
    Be careful with that word or you'll set some people off again!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

bekker wrote: »
    So, leaving more in the cohort of v.vulnerable this year to be taken out by COVID-19, conversely would it be that the 2020 potential cohort was much reduced by the 'flu deaths in previous years. It'll probably provide the basis for many a thesis in years to come.

'Similar in Italy, an incredibly low number of deaths this flu season is being credited with the high number of covid deaths.'

Is that coming from Italian sources in the Lombardy region, or from external observers commentary?

ITman88 please ignore, just read your subsequent post.

The current deaths from Italy sound insane, but it’s nothing unusual for March in Italy.
    62000 deaths in March a number of years ago, when we see the number of deaths from this March we can than accurately see the rise in deaths.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-03-31/italy-s-mild-flu-season-may-solve-mystery-of-coronavirus-deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Cartoon image of doll trolled Chinese death toll. (not linked to for obvious reasons)

Based on a Newsweek article full of speculation, which was self-confessed in the article.

Nice house of cards which collapses when one realises that there was no outflux of the Spring Festival influx because of the quarantine this year.

****E ! forgot to remove link

Strazdas wrote: »
    I think the poster is asking if they can still transmit the virus from internally, if they have already recovered (and the answer is no, as the virus is no longer in their system).
    I was mainly asking if you can pick it up and transmit it physically even if you already had it and the virus is no longer in your system, but it has raised that question as well :) A concern might be if people have recovered they may not think they are still potential virus-spreaders by physical contact and may slack off on hygiene, social distancing etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭Allinall

wakka12 wrote: »
    1,100 police officers in NYC have tested positive
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/01/more-than-1000-new-york-city-police-officers-are-infected-with-coronavirus.html

Meanwhile 911 calls in the city are at the highest level ever recorded

I think it is scary what has happened to some of the most efficient and economically and socially developed socieites in the world in just a few weeks, how does the developing world stand any chance

Holy sh1t.

It can be contracted by phone now!

We're all doomed.

• Advertisement

Where did you get one?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement