Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Hope Dr Holohan makes a full recovery. He has been excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

voluntary wrote: »
    Where did you get one?

Those are the highest-grade ones that prevent even tiny particles like asbestos from getting through apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭josip

jams100 wrote: »
    What idiots are using gloves for the likes of driving their car? Then deciding to just throw them on the ground.
    Just went for a walk and in a 1km stretch there were 8 pairs. There really needs to be a cull on the amount of stupid gombeans in Ireland. The virus is no need to act like a s**mbag!

Plenty of gloves and wipes left in Tesco shopping trolleys.
    A lot of people are only taking precautions out of selfishness, not for any consideration of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Any good place online to order good value face masks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭spookwoman

[/I]
    voluntary wrote: »
    Where did you get one?

Hardware store before the fun started

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Amirani wrote: »
    Not sure what Ronan McGreevy is playing at in the Irish Times blog: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-state-seeks-to-contain-spread-in-nursing-homes-and-hospitals-1.4217635

Posts an update about 3000 people possibly dying of Covid in Northern Ireland over the next 20 weeks, then proceeds to post an April Fools joke about primary schools just after. Really?

I was fully taken in by that circular; genuinely have been worried sick since seeing it. Thank you for putting me right - they need to take that down immediately. The April's Fool jokes can wait a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,001 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

2020-04-01%20%282%29.png?itok=aO2i3mXh

Danger for the UK now is they are at risk of becoming Europes new epicenter and all the pain that goes with that, not just tragedies but optics and reputation too.

They were very slow to act.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Strip these deaths out of the figures and suddenly this 'global-killer' begins to look a lot less worthy of the current hysteria being generated.

In future years, people may look back and question why the economy was flushed down the toilet over a virus that kills a small percentage of the very old, the very sick and the very fat.

The economic effects will probably kill way more people indirectly over the coming years.

Small percentage of the very old, the very sick and the very fat?

A 13 year old boy died in the UK. Do you even care?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

2020-04-01%20%282%29.png?itok=aO2i3mXh

Danger for the UK now is they are at risk of becoming Europes new epicenter and all the pain that goes with that, not just tragedies but optics and reputation too.

They were very slow to act.

Sure they had to get cheltenham over with first the fcukin clowns

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I wear a mask.

Wearing a mask is about protecting the people around you. It's about not coughing your droplets into the air.

How many people out there have the Virus and either don’t know, aren’t sure or will never be tested because they don’t meet the criteria.

How many people are either asymptomatic or have symptoms so mild, they pass it on without even knowing. There is a complacency, or at least a false sense of security.

We should all be wearing masks and keeping the virus to ourselves. Wearing a mask could save a life. If you have the virus – and you may not know you have it – wearing a mask means you keep it to yourself.

I’m stunned that not a single public figure has worn a mask yet.

Not a single reporter, politician or HSE representative. Not the Chief Medical Officer, the Minister for Health or the Taoiseach. Not Claire Byrne or Ryan Tubridy or any other TV Prenter/reporter. Not a single Irish celebrity or public figure has worn a mask on TV.

PLEASE can just one single public figure wear a mask and lead by example.

Then you'll have everybody in the country buying masks when we already have a shortage. Doctors and nurses need them the most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Themselves, Holland and Sweden are going to have a horrific death toll. I'm not familiar with the latter two and their testing and PPE supply for health workers but we know the UK are an utter shambles at both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Dumb question. If you get Covid-19 and have recovered can you still spread the virus via hands etc.?
    Have to say yes. The virus is on your hands and you are spreading it. Nothing to do with you as a person having contracted the virus.
    Ger Roe wrote: »
    Clarification needed there with that statement - do you spread it because you are still affected with the virus, or if you come in contact with it from another source, you can pick it up and deposit it, just like anyone else?

I would hope it's the latter and not that you become a super spreader after you clear the symptoms of infection.

I'm no doctor! But you're just picking it up like dirt on your hand and spreading it like everyone else.

Sure they had to get cheltenham over with first the fcukin clowns

Looks like that's being priced in now.

And the concerts and marathons that were still going on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

devnull wrote: »
    Steep acceleration for the UK at this point, catching the other worms after being behind.

507866.jpg

That's a logarithmic graph so looks dissimilar to the more common linear graphs.

Can I ask, have any of you got this new Covid-19 leaflet that was imminent last week? In a time where people need facts, where is it? nearly 2 million for a bleeding printer and here we are waiting for a tell all covid info pack?

anyone get one?? or like the tests now, was the idea of them more credible than the tangible items themselves...bloody joke.

also Leo was quick to point out, they'd be delivered FREE OF CHARGE!! very good of him eh.. I mean our Taxes pay for them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

wakka12 wrote: »
    2350 divided by 600,000? 0.4%, and there are many deaths unaccounted for
    Perhaps some of these poeple would have died anyway, and happened to have coronavirus, theres currently no strong proof of that as yet, its just a theory, but obviously plasuible one. We will have to wait and see what thenational mortality rate for the year turns out like. However,monthly mortality statistics in places like Lombardy would imply that coronavirus is causing massively inflated excess mortality, and would make the theory look unlikely.

Yeah we will know when figures are published what the death rate actually is.
    I just think media publishing death rates is lazy puke journalism, of course death sells but it’s never put in context in the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

4324 new cases and 563 new deaths in the United Kingdom: including 2 teenagers, a 13-year-old boy, and a 19-year-old man

that is really scary death numbers in the UK

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I wear a mask.

Wearing a mask is about protecting the people around you. It's about not coughing your droplets into the air.

How many people out there have the Virus and either don’t know, aren’t sure or will never be tested because they don’t meet the criteria.

How many people are either asymptomatic or have symptoms so mild, they pass it on without even knowing. There is a complacency, or at least a false sense of security.

We should all be wearing masks and keeping the virus to ourselves. Wearing a mask could save a life. If you have the virus – and you may not know you have it – wearing a mask means you keep it to yourself.

I’m stunned that not a single public figure has worn a mask yet.

Not a single reporter, politician or HSE representative. Not the Chief Medical Officer, the Minister for Health or the Taoiseach. Not Claire Byrne or Ryan Tubridy or any other TV Prenter/reporter. Not a single Irish celebrity or public figure has worn a mask on TV.

PLEASE can just one single public figure wear a mask and lead by example.
    Not a chance when the HSE is insisting against all logic that they're not needed and are a negative. Understandable when they didn't have enough for doctors and nurses, but with 200 million quids worth of gear coming from China, now is the time to get that message out.

TBH I doubt they will. Yes the HSE and government have been OK in response to this, but they were helped in a major way by our demographics and very low population density. It's time to get more community driven action and start wearing masks when going outside. If the supermarket chains agreed to insist on some sort of face covering or you don't get in that would make a big difference. In Austria you can't shop without a mask. In Taiwan and the Czech Republic you can't leave your house without one. By law.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Downlinz

rusty cole wrote: »
    Can I ask, have any of you got this new Covid-19 leaflet that was imminent last week? In a time where people need facts, where is it? nearly 2 million for a bleeding printer and here we are waiting for a tell all covid info pack?

anyone get one?? or like the tests now, was the idea of them more credible than the tangible items themselves...bloody joke.

I got it last week along with the postcards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

That comedian was correct... Market worship has become a death cult.

Facehugger is advocating, whether he knows it or not, for the complete collapse of our health system. A thriving economy with no health system. Don't think he's thought it through tbh

• Advertisement

4324 new cases and 563 new deaths in the United Kingdom: including 2 teenagers, a 13-year-old boy, and a 19-year-old man

Paying the price for slow reaction in there as well. Johnson and his cabal did not take this seriously until the very last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

easypazz wrote: »
    Nonsense, Irish people still need to get home, very few arriving in now anyway, and they are required to self isolate for 14 days.

I saw a gentleman in the supermarket yesterday with luggage, fresh tags etc still on the bags. It seemed like he had just been through an airport. Perhaps he has no one to help him when he returned home so I can understand the difficulty with self isolation. However I think situations like this are unfair on cashiers etc that he had to interact with to pay for food. I feel at this stage It would be better to just quarantine people and remove the assumption that people will go straight to their homes and self isolate

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Tootsie_1

also Leo was quick to point out, they'd be delivered FREE OF CHARGE!! very good of him eh.. I mean our Taxes pay for them anyway.

Yep got it today

The death of the 13 year old boy was tragic.

It is not however unusual to see young deaths from a variety of causes and certainty not unusual from pneumonia.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Then you'll have everybody in the country buying masks when we already have a shortage. Doctors and nurses need them the most.
    200 million quids worth of medical stock including PPE has been arriving from China for the HSE. Plus people can make their own masks. Never mind that with masks on top of hand hygiene and social distancing will decrease the caseload even more, thereby putting our health service under less pressure.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

An post waived their fee apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Wibbs wrote: »
    Not a chance when the HSE is insisting against all logic that they're not needed and are a negative. Understandable when they didn't have enough for doctors and nurses, but with 200 million quids worth of gear coming from China, now is the time to get that message out.

TBH I doubt they will. Yes the HSE and government have been OK in response to this, but they were helped in a major way by our demographics and very low population density. It's time to get more community driven action and start wearing masks when going outside. If the supermarket chains agreed to insist on some sort of face covering or you don't get in that would make a big difference. In Austria you can't shop without a mask. In Taiwan and the Czech Republic you can't leave your house without one. By law.
    There are a lot of different grades and to be honest the ones you see advertised on wish and the likes are useless to doctors and healthcare workers but fine for just going the shop or for your walk .

ok so weird , how come some have them and others don't. This is all about education too,if they need compliance, then follow through and don't dither!

ITman88 wrote: »
    The death of the 13 year old boy was tragic.

It is not however unusual to see young deaths from a variety of causes and certainty not unusual from pneumonia.
    +1. While tragic these outliers are just that outliers, but the press are quick to jump on this tiny minority of tragedies because it gets clicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Ya knew Britain was going to be out of control. I'd say Italy will have less cases today than GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

ITman88 wrote: »
    The current deaths from Italy sound insane, but it’s nothing unusual for March in Italy.
    62000 deaths in March a number of years ago, when we see the number of deaths from this March we can than accurately see the rise in deaths.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-03-31/italy-s-mild-flu-season-may-solve-mystery-of-coronavirus-deaths
    Very interesting article, as was the following one on wastewater analysis by the Dutch.

Running the Lombardy figures cumulatively from say Nov. '19, and the similar figure comparisons back to '16, might be illuminating one way or the other.

If the Roman and southern Italian hospitals get their isolation protocols and PPE equipment acts together we could see very different in-hospital infection rates there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Wibbs wrote: »

No evidence is what the NEPHT/HSE are saying based on what the WHO says but there's nothing stopping you getting one. There are actually very few countries who have it by law. Austria were about to introduce it and now it seems there aren't enough. We could expect exactly the same situation here.

There are a lot of different grades and to be honest the ones you see advertised on wish and the likes are useless to doctors and healthcare workers but fine for just going the shop or for your walk .
    Never mind that if you rock up with a box of masks to the HSE it'll almost certainly end up on a shelf somewhere. I've had dealings with them. The people at teh coalface are good, bloody good, but the bureaucracy behind them is byzantine and wasteful. Note how not once has the HSE made a drive for people to donate PPE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    An post waived their fee apparently

Postcards are free to post.
    I’m sending mine to Varadkar with the word PANDEMIC written on it. Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,789 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

bekker wrote: »
    Very interesting article, as was the following one on wastewater analysis by the Dutch.

Running the Lombardy figures cumulatively from say Nov. '19, and the similar figure comparisons back to '16, might be illuminating one way or the other.

If the Roman and southern Italian hospitals get their isolation protocols and PPE equipment acts together we could see very different in-hospital infection rates there.

from a smaller area, suggests deaths are higher than normal

https://twitter.com/DellAnnaLuca/status/1245161232476209154

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Over 600,000 people die in the UK every year.

I once poked fun at someone who said that a terrorist attack was of no significance if you compared it to road deaths. I compared the number of French people that died due to heart disease between 1940 and 1945 with those that died at the hands of the Third Reich, and was therefore able to 'conclude' that the Third Reich in western Europe wasn't a big deal. :pac:

If no measures were taken to halt the spread of the disease we would expect 20,000 dead here. I'm more than a little bit tired of people trying to justify that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

UK daily cases similar to our own per capita but death rate is 2.5 times ours.

bekker wrote: »

Health organisations need to learn quickly here, we need restrictions lifted as soon as makes sense from a health point of view and the next contagious virus that sweeps the globe can’t see the same response.

is_that_so wrote: »
    No evidence is what the NEPHT/HSE are saying based on what the WHO says
    A) there is plenty of evidence for the efficacy in limiting the spread of contagion. For a start why would they work in hospitals, but magically stop working outside of them? B) what respect I had for the WHO has fallen off a cliff. They've been regularly and dangerously inept in their response to this crisis and are way to quick to kow tow politically when it suits. That organisation needs an enema and way more resources and powers thrown at it in a better form.
    but there's nothing stopping you getting one. There are actually very few countries who have it by law. Austria were about to introduce it and now it seems there aren't enough. We could expect exactly the same situation here.
    Indeed. It is almost entirely down to the lack of supply. Not their efficacy. The CDC and others have said pretty much that. So I wish these organisations would just be honest about the whole thing. If they were two a penny you can be damned sure it would be mandatory, either legally or socially for going outside, like it is in many places in the far east.

• Advertisement

I once poked fun at someone who said that a terrorist attack was of no significance if you compared it to road deaths. I compared the number of French people that died due to heart disease between 1940 and 1945 with those that died at the hands of the Third Reich, and was therefore able to 'conclude' that the Third Reich in western Europe wasn't a big deal. :pac:

If no measures were taken to halt the spread of the disease we would expect 20,000 dead here. I'm more than a little bit tired of people trying to justify that.

That death rate was a prediction from models.

Models that have been incredibly flawed in the past.

https://www.rt.com/uk/484319-coronavirus-swine-flu-hysteria-redux/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭blackcard

ok so weird , how come some have them and others don't. This is all about education too,if they need compliance, then follow through and don't dither!

Got mine a week ago, maybe you are not on An Post's mailing list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

I got it along with the two free post cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Your right, it's not hindsight in that sense, but it's like talking about the next recession, we all know it's coming, but do you know how bad it will be? You can have posters galore saying that we are going to be in the Sh!ts for years, others saying months, others saying whatever, some of them are going to be right, but that doesn't mean their logic for solutions are right does it?

Imagine if Leo came out tonight and announced that all healthcare works must sleep in hotels near their hospitals/nursing homes - and must do this for the next 2 months - no exceptions.

Everyone else must continue with this "lockdown" for the next 2 months at least.

There would be uproar in society - because you can't just lockdown people for large period of time with no end in sight and expect them to be ok with it. Everything has to be done in stages.

I do understand it has to be done in stages and I think overall that the implementation of these stages of restriction have been handled quite well with the exception of travel being unrestricted in and out of northern Italy, travel to and from Cheltenham, and non restricted travel in general from infected areas.

I’m not an export nor do I envy anyone trying to steer our country through this. I do feel it is being handled well with the exception of unrestricted travel. I do feel we could have bought ourselves more time to prepare for this if these simple restrictions occurred.

I’m still not sure of the logic of allowing unrestricted travel from epicentres. I’ve asked a few times and haven’t been given an answer apart from “ it was going to get here anyway”. I know that but I think restrictions would help in terms of slowing it down and contact tracing at the start.

If someone could explain this to me I could try to make sense of it as maybe there is logic or just lack of resources to do so. I’m surprised by lack of resources as there’s empty hotels all across Dublin that may be glad of the business ? Maybe not?

I’m not saying we should have closed airports or cut off flights etc as I know people need to get home. I just don’t understand why we have had no restrictions when a lot of countries are just quarantining new arrivals to manage the spread of infection.

I do also feel we had insight as to what lay ahead so it is different to predications about recessions etc. Italy got caught out first and understandably so. Anyone who looked at what was happening in Wuhan when these cases started to appear in Italy was capable of understanding who serious this was and the potential of spread of this disease.

I feel some people thought this was just a weird disease that would be contained to China similar similar to others but when cases started spreading fast in Italy that could have been a good time to have travel screening or restrictions to and from Ireland.

If is we communicated as to why we haven’t done this it could make sense....

Went out today for a stroll to buy some groceries and was met with checkpoints and police taking temperatures and names here in Vietnam. That along with the loudspeakers talking about fines etc. for meeting socially or not wearing a mask all feels rather dystopian but kind of reassuring I suppose. Still not a full lockdown but it's just heavily advised that you only go out for essentials.

Anyways, ye'll all be wearing masks in a couple of weeks. The amount of utter shlte I read on this thread about them made me stop coming to it for a few days. "If you have a beard, they're completely pointless." and the likes. How can you think that a mask is pointless because a small bit of air can enter and exit along your cheek because of a beard. Masks get damp.. That's the only thing that matters. It means it's stopping water droplets. I see CNN are catching on now about the West's mistake in not mandating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭RiseAbove4

Ok, I’ll give this a go in the catch all thread, aka The Daily Blur

Ive just read this on a UK forum;

“In order to medically claim that someone is recovered you need to retest them to make sure they no longer have the virus”

Is this true for Ireland and elsewhere too?

The number listed under Recovered have always worried me, but maybe I’m misunderstanding them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

is_that_so wrote: »
    We all now know about models and worst case scenarios so a large sack of salt with this possible €30bn cost to the economy. That's another Anglo sized bill!

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0401/1127866-governments-covid-19-costs-could-hit-30-billion-kbc/

Anything that comes from KCB bank
    You would need more than salt to digest it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lwaker.

UK daily cases similar to our own per capita but death rate is 2.5 times ours.

Fake stats

Depends on level of testing

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The CDC in the US are now reporting that they believe at least 25% of positive cases are asymptomatic

If that's true it would be a huge factor in the spread

Antibody testing cant come quick enough imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,382 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I've no idea why you're so hostile to me pointing out the truth? :confused:

I've no opinion on David Norris one way or the other.

Apologies. I actually meant to respond to the post below yours

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement