Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Probably not of much interest but in the context of all things Covid! I am trying to find a way to do online shopping for my elderly parents who are in lockdown in Spain. I really would love if they could avoid going out at all. I asked a facebook group in the area if they know of any supermarkets doing home deliveries. Two people messaged me and offered to do their shopping for them. I'm already teary and emotional today, and this has just sent me over the edge in the nicest way possible way. Some people really are just amazing, and it can be the small acts of kindness in adversity that get you through :):) This has really made my day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Facehugger is advocating, whether he knows it or not, for the complete collapse of our health system. A thriving economy with no health system. Don't think he's thought it through tbh

Its difficult for some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Lwaker. wrote: »
    Fake stats

Depends on level of testing

We can only go on the figures we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭BrianD3

ITman88 wrote: »
    The current deaths from Italy sound insane, but it’s nothing unusual for March in Italy.
    62000 deaths in March a number of years ago, when we see the number of deaths from this March we can than accurately see the rise in deaths.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-03-31/italy-s-mild-flu-season-may-solve-mystery-of-coronavirus-deaths
    Interesting. And this would be compounded if, in addition, the flu season hit Italy much later than usual - at around the time when the world was starting to panic about Covid-19.

March 2020 - Covid-19 starts killing in the cohort who "should" have died of flu in November 2019.

The late flu would be killing from the same cohort in addition to those that were "supposed" to die from flu in March 2020.

The healthcare system is hit with all of this at once, people are panicking, everything is being attributed to Covid-19, it becomes difficult to distinguish who is dying from Covid vs who is dying with it. Hospitals become chaotic due to illness itself and panic, the bodies pile up resulting in more panic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

If we need more tests done quickly we should send some away if there is capacity somewhere else. Each batch could have known Positive/ negative control samples in them so that we could verify that those samples were correct. We could also send samples that have been split in to an A and B sample and then test our A sample when we have the capacity.This is what they do for drug tests for athletes.

The regime for testing is broken at the moment and we need to face up to that, it is a vital part of the fight against the pandemic. Testing means that we know where to target our resources and it means that we can get vital health care workers back into the system quicker when we know they are negative.

You can't send them away, it's an RNA based virus. The RNA would be degraded and unsuitable for RT-PCR by the time it reached another country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭emo72

i havent posted on these threads. but have 1 question.
    how can we know the death rate, if we cant accurately count the people that have the virus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1. While tragic these outliers are just that outliers, but the press are quick to jump on this tiny minority of tragedies because it gets clicks.

Although the numbers are relatively small, so may not therefore be entirely reliable, the statistical likelihood of someone very young dying of the disease is about 0.2% last I saw. I'd imagine that that would make Covid-19 the single most dangerous thing for young people, even if on an individual basis death would be very unlikely.

If that statistic holds true, then if 100,000 young people (say between the ages of 10 and 22) got infected, you might expect 200 of them to die (provided that the hospitals were able to cope with that number of cases, which they of course wouldn't).

For instance testicular cancer has about 90% survival rate, and only occurs in 1 in 10,000 males. You can therefore say that testicular cancer will virtually never kill anyone. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭chasm

rusty cole wrote: »
    Can I ask, have any of you got this new Covid-19 leaflet that was imminent last week? In a time where people need facts, where is it? nearly 2 million for a bleeding printer and here we are waiting for a tell all covid info pack?

anyone get one?? or like the tests now, was the idea of them more credible than the tangible items themselves...bloody joke.

also Leo was quick to point out, they'd be delivered FREE OF CHARGE!! very good of him eh.. I mean our Taxes pay for them anyway.

Nothing here yet, no leaflet, no postcards. That said i'm still waiting on my iodine tablets and my free tree ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

emo72 wrote: »
    how can we know the death rate, if we cant accurately count the people that have the virus?

We can’t, not until it’s over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

They go to the morgue each day, count the bodies and put them in their spreadsheet...
    emo72 wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lwaker.

We can only go on the figures we have.

This again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

That death rate was a prediction from models.

Models that have been incredibly flawed in the past.

https://www.rt.com/uk/484319-coronavirus-swine-flu-hysteria-redux/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

So all of the world's best virologists and infectious-disease epidemiologists have got it wrong so far ? And some randomer on Russian TV has all the answers.

It's all just a 'storm in a teacup' ? :rolleyes:

Why do you keep trying to minimize the lethal effects of this pandemic ?

GettyImages_1216041772.0.jpg

Even Trump was convinced by the terrible numbers on the charts behind him yesterday.

I 'think' they use the 'register of elections' to send them out....so if you are not on this or haven;t updated recently then you probably wont get them....

Electronic versions of everything here......
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/partner-resources/
    chasm wrote: »
    Nothing here yet, no leaflet, no postcards. That said i'm still waiting on my iodine tablets or my free tree ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,376 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The CMO tony Holohan is in hospital for non covid 19 tests. Id say it's stress and hopefully he's okay and back doing the great job he's been doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,001 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Italy, new deaths down, new cases up

727 fatalities recorded, down from over 800 yesterday.

• Advertisement

Still 5:30 for DOH press conference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,263 ✭✭✭✭briany

So all of the world's best virologists and infectious-disease epidemiologists have got it wrong so far ? And some randomer on Russian TV has all the answers.

Even Trump was convinced by the terrible numbers on the charts behind him yesterday.

Ah, now, when has RT not had our best interests at heart, like. It's not as if they're literally the mouthpiece of the Russian government or anything.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Italy, new deaths down, new cases up

727 fatalities recorded, down from over 800 yesterday.

4,782 new cases today. Up around 700 on yesterday.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    We can’t, not until it’s over.

What a silly answer. If you don't know now, you definitely won't know when it's over!

We can get an accurate picture in countries that have mass testing. In a country like Ireland we can only get a figure in relation to hospital admissions, but remember it would usually take a couple of weeks from infection to death (so there will always be some lag between number of cases reported and number of deaths).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Dr. Ronan may be late

Wont want to make Dr Tony look bad :D

• Advertisement

Italian officials calling the "supplies" from Russia a publicity stunt, up to 80% of it useless.

Which will surprise precisely no one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Although the numbers are relatively small, so may not therefore be entirely reliable, the statistical likelihood of someone very young dying of the disease is about 0.2% last I saw. I'd imagine that that would make Covid-19 the single most dangerous thing for young people, even if on an individual basis death would be very unlikely.

South Korean data on case fatality by age is probably giving a fairly accurate picture of how the disease affects different age groups.

Fatality rate in over 80s is currently more than 500 x rate in under 50s.

Age|Cases|Deaths|Crude CFR
    0–9|116|0|0.0%
    10–19|519|0|0.0%
    20–29|2682|0|0.0%
    30–39|1027|1|0.1%
    40–49|1323|1|0.1%
    50–59|1865|10|0.5%
    60–69|1245|23|1.8%
    70–79|658|46|7.0%
    > 80|452|84|18.6%

NB very likely there are more mild / asymptomatic cases not included in the counts, and 44% of cases remain unresolved.

link to data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

GettyImages_1216041772.0.jpg

Eh he’s an Irish science journalist based in London.

You left that part out.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2009/apr/29/swine-flu-mexico-uk-media1

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/jul/16/swine-flu-cases-rise-britain

Those links were imbedded in the article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

No time announced by either Fergal Bowers or Richard Chambers yet, which suggests 7 would be the earliest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Yer one speaking on behalf of the NHS now is Irish.

No time announced by either Fergal Bowers or Richard Chambers yet, which suggests 7 would be the earliest.

Thought I saw 5:30 mentioned?

5.30 was mentioned either earlier today or late yesterday...?

5.45 or 6.00 in our time

The fifth column for the coronavirus is gradually being defeated. They need to be stamped out. As the video DeVore posted shows, if only 10% of people don't take social distancing seriously, the effect can be huge. There are a small number of people who have always been opposed to any measures being taken against Covid-19, but their argument are flawed from both a ethical and economic point of view.

Unfortunately Trump has been one of those people, and his slow conversion will cost America greatly, both in lives and dollars (let's be honest, the latter is what a lot of people are genuinely concerned about)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,639 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Cuomo on CNN now.

Yer one speaking on behalf of the NHS now is Irish.

On that I can't believe all the Irish working in the NHS didn't "come home to help" what's wrong with them? Perth Health system be damned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I just learned of the death of a parent in my child’s school with COVID 19.

Age 42 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭josip

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    You can't send them away, it's an RNA based virus. The RNA would be degraded and unsuitable for RT-PCR by the time it reached another country.

How do we test samples here 7 days or more after the swabs are taken?

I just learned of the death of a parent in my child’s school with COVID 19.

Age 42 :(

Fook. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

RiseAbove4 wrote: »
    Ok, I’ll give this a go in the catch all thread, aka The Daily Blur

Ive just read this on a UK forum;

“In order to medically claim that someone is recovered you need to retest them to make sure they no longer have the virus”

Is this true for Ireland and elsewhere too?

The number listed under Recovered have always worried me, but maybe I’m misunderstanding them
    Yes.

You haven't misunderstood, there is no consistency in the 'Recovered' figures, just like 'Confirmed' cases figure.

Some countries test once after 14 or 18 days, a few test twice, most if your still standing after 14 days you've 'Recovered'.

To do properly is a resource hungry operation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭chasm

kyote00 wrote: »
    I 'think' they use the 'register of elections' to send them out....so if you are not on this or haven;t updated recently then you probably wont get them....

Electronic versions of everything here......
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/partner-resources/

I am on the register and have been for many years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

spookwoman wrote: »

I think we should wear them.

Better be safe than sorry & some people will have it with no syptoms so will help prevent spread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

At first I was optimistically thinking weeks for this - realistically months, now I optimistically think months, realistically years...

Italy ****ED again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Never understood this. Of course they would provide some kind of protection. Always thought the advice not to wear them or class them as pointless means of protection was a way of protecting their supply more than anything else.

The last thing they would want is a run on masks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

1816 was the year without a summer, meteorologically, post Mt. Tambora eruption.

2020 is going to be year without summer in a sporting sense, and with whatever other restrictions remain.

There's no soft words to sugar coat it, we're just going to have to tough it out, one day at a time. We'll really appreciate life, hopefully most of us here will pull through, when this is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I would think there could be a fall in positive cases today if the testing numbers are limited.
    Death rates should be starting to climb as the numbers who are infected start to develop more serious conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Looks like no one told the U.K. manufacturers of re-agent about this shortage. They know nothing about it. Politician wouldn’t lie, would they??

These are commercial test kits designed to extract and purify RNA. They contain various solutions made up in precise quantities. Diagnostics labs cannot just start making these solutions themselves. For one thing, companies don't let you know the precise quantities of reagents in each buffer; it's propriety information. For another, diagnostic labs have to use the kits that they are accredited to use as per their test protocols. You cannot just chop and change as you would in a research lab, as tests have a clinical significance and need to be trusted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

They will be now reviewing what most reasonable people were saying from the day-1.

At first I was optimistically thinking weeks for this - realistically months, now I optimistically think months, realistically years...

Italy ****ED again.

What happened in Italy now?

"science journalist"
    science is not jouralism

Eh he’s an Irish science journalist based in London.

You left that part out.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2009/apr/29/swine-flu-mexico-uk-media1

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/jul/16/swine-flu-cases-rise-britain

Those links were imbedded in the article

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Never understood this. Of course they would provide some kind of protection. Always thought the advice not to wear them or class them as pointless means of protection was a way of protecting their supply more than anything else.

The last thing they would want is a run on masks.

They HSE had no supply of mask so of course they we ambiguous about their use. Now that supply is starting to kick in they will recommend that they are useful and should be worn. It is all very predictable from the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Cody montana

USA about to hit 200 thousand cases.

World over 900 thousand cases.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement