Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

What happened in Italy now?

I think the south of Italy must be reporting more? Don't have figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

RTE News Now is saying HSE briefing is coming up next so must be due at half 5 which is most likely 17:50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

ITman88 wrote: »
    Eh he’s an Irish science journalist based in London.

You left that part out.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2009/apr/29/swine-flu-mexico-uk-media1

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/jul/16/swine-flu-cases-rise-britain

Those links were imbedded in the article

So you think this is just like swine flu? And the hospitals and Morgues in Italy being overwhelmed for the last few weeks are what? just fake news? :rolleyes:

The impact of a total health system collapse is being severely underestimated by people who think we should all just let the spike happen and get it over with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

What happened in Italy now?

Fatalities significantly lower, but cases up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Eh he’s an Irish science journalist based in London.

You left that part out.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2009/apr/29/swine-flu-mexico-uk-media1

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/jul/16/swine-flu-cases-rise-britain

Those links were imbedded in the article

I really don't care what his nationality is.

He is a contrarian who's views are a direct contradiction to the majority scientific opinion on this pandemic.

I know who I will believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭josip

Italian officials calling the "supplies" from Russia a publicity stunt, up to 80% of it useless.

Which will surprise precisely no one.

Publicity stunt? Nah.
    https://www.rt.com/news/484161-russia-military-medics-italy/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Distribution of laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 1 April 2020 @ 08:00

novel-coronavirus-cases-EU-UK-2020-04-01.png?itok=1L00ERRD

Another disappointing rise of daily cases in Europe today.

Shattering the hope that the epidemic curve had peaked over the previous six days.

Larger clickable version here :- https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

is_that_so wrote: »
    We all now know about models and worst case scenarios so a large sack of salt with this possible €30bn cost to the economy. That's another Anglo sized bill!

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0401/1127866-governments-covid-19-costs-could-hit-30-billion-kbc/

That's a greatly underestimated figure in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lwaker.

Distribution of laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 1 April 2020 @ 08:00

novel-coronavirus-cases-EU-UK-2020-04-01.png?itok=1L00ERRD

Another disappointing rise of daily cases in Europe today.

Shattering the hope that the epidemic curve had peaked over the previous six days.

Larger clickable version here :- https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

More testing= More cases

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

voluntary wrote: »
    They will be now reviewing what most reasonable people were saying from the day-1.

Where do we get masks though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

+14 deaths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    These are commercial test kits designed to extract and purify RNA. They contain various solutions made up in precise quantities. Diagnostics labs cannot just start making these solutions themselves. For one thing, companies don't let you know the precise quantities of reagents in each buffer; it's propriety information. For another, diagnostic labs have to use the kits that they are accredited to use as per their test protocols. You cannot just chop and change as you would in a research lab, as tests have a clinical significance and need to be trusted.
    Then governments need to step in and seize that info if they're not willing to share. We've seen medtronic for example sharing their specs for ventilators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The fifth column for the coronavirus is gradually being defeated. They need to be stamped out. As the video DeVore posted shows, if only 10% of people don't take social distancing seriously, the effect can be huge. There are a small number of people who have always been opposed to any measures being taken against Covid-19, but their argument are flawed from both a ethical and economic point of view.

Unfortunately Trump has been one of those people, and his slow conversion will cost America greatly, both in lives and dollars (let's be honest, the latter is what a lot of people are genuinely concerned about)

Good job each state has been able to manage it's own response and hasn't been relying on Trump for guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Interesting. And this would be compounded if, in addition, the flu season hit Italy much later than usual - at around the time when the world was starting to panic about Covid-19.

March 2020 - Covid-19 starts killing in the cohort who "should" have died of flu in November 2019.

The late flu would be killing from the same cohort in addition to those that were "supposed" to die from flu in March 2020.

The healthcare system is hit with all of this at once, people are panicking, everything is being attributed to Covid-19, it becomes difficult to distinguish who is dying from Covid vs who is dying with it. Hospitals become chaotic due to illness itself and panic, the bodies pile up resulting in more panic.

I don’t think what is currently being witnessed is a new phenomenon.

The following links suggest warning were not heeded

https://ccforum.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13054-019-2616-1

https://www.eurosurveillance.org/images/dynamic/EE/V22N14/art22766.pdf

It has also been suggested Italy’s health system is far superior to the Irish model due to an elevated number of ICU beds. However that’s not the full story, due to the much older population in Italy ICU beds have before been is supply shortages as seen by the following link.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6141554/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

chasm wrote: »
    Nothing here yet, no leaflet, no postcards. That said i'm still waiting on my iodine tablets and my free tree ;)

I got the tablets (I think I still have them somewhere, 4 or 5 of them in a cut-up blister with the seal half damaged), I never got my tree (who can I ring about that?), but I did get my Millennium Candle. Did you get that, at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Italian officials calling the "supplies" from Russia a publicity stunt, up to 80% of it useless.

Which will surprise precisely no one.
    Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Wibbs wrote: »
    A) there is plenty of evidence for the efficacy in limiting the spread of contagion. For a start why would they work in hospitals, but magically stop working outside of them? B) what respect I had for the WHO has fallen off a cliff. They've been regularly and dangerously inept in their response to this crisis and are way to quick to kow tow politically when it suits. That organisation needs an enema and way more resources and powers thrown at it in a better form.

Indeed. It is almost entirely down to the lack of supply. Not their efficacy. The CDC and others have said pretty much that. So I wish these organisations would just be honest about the whole thing. If they were two a penny you can be damned sure it would be mandatory, either legally or socially for going outside, like it is in many places in the far east.
    Yes in hospitals but only where there is that likely risk, that's all they do say. Otherwise there's no evidence they don't really confer any great protection. I don't see their position changing on that at all but by all means get yourself a mask. Where you are on the WHO, I find the CDC to be shambolically embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

212 new cases

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Significantly fewer cases today - 212, but 14 deaths:

https://twitter.com/ShaneBeattyNews/status/1245389107699879937

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I just learned of the death of a parent in my child’s school with COVID 19.

Age 42 :(

Ah fcuk

Lower cases but what's the number worth with the reduction in testing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

USA about to hit 200 thousand cases.

World over 900 thousand cases.

Only about 1/3 of Italy's fatalities, with almost twice the amount cases.

They're doing okay so far, but these things can change quickly when/if healthcare systems get overrun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

212 new cases = a 6.6% increase, lowest so far I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    So you think this is just like swine flu? And the hospitals and Morgues in Italy being overwhelmed for the last few weeks are what? just fake news? :rolleyes:

I was making a point about worse case models being incorrect.

No fake news, you must be a trump supporter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Where do we get masks though?
    You can still get them on ebay and amazon, but I reckon it might be better to have a community based drive online and off to make them at homes around the country. There are enough plans online from commonly available materials and we'd have enough skilled people who can sew to do it. Distribution would be the issue then. It would also have a good effect on morale, a way of personally fighting back from our homes, together.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    212 new cases
    I hate to use the word but only that many? RIP to the deceased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

212 new cases

Good.

Experts say the deaths will continue at a very high rate for the next 2 weeks - horrible, but the new cases total is the one to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

14 further deaths; total 85
    212 new cases; total 3,447

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Absolutely nothing.

The death figures as bad as they are aren't spinning out of control though which as harsh as it sounds is a positive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

1huge1 wrote: »
    212 new cases = a 6.6% increase, lowest so far I believe.

Not much point in looking at %'s, positively, when the testing system is in disarray/is so behind.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Good.

Experts say the deaths will continue at a very high rate for the next 2 weeks - horrible, but the new cases total is the one to watch.

New cases is the one not to watch, it is meaningless with the testing regime that we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Strazdas wrote: »
    Good.

Its due to a lack of testing. ICU and deaths more reflective atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Jasus 126 people in ICU. Unfortunately there will be many more deaths this week.

Gotta keep positive though.

I was making a point about worse case models being incorrect.

No fake news, you must be a trump supporter.

? How did you come to that conclusion?
    He has handled this situation extremely badly, The USA will most likely come out of this worse than every other country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

wadacrack wrote: »
    Its due to a lack of testing. ICU and deaths more reflective atm

One would expect new cases to be dropping though, given the draconian restrictions - the testing is something of a side issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

ricero wrote: »
    Jasus 126 people in ICU. Unfortunately there will be many more deaths this week.

When did they say there is 126 people currently in the icu?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I personally am ignoring the new case numbers due to the amount of problems with testing at the minute. I am focusing more so on the ICU admissions and new deaths, which seems to be constant enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Welll, as was mentioned yesterday, they’ve increased the proportion of positive tests from 6% to 15%, so while the testing is less it’s more targeted.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Not much point in looking at %'s, positively, when the testing system is in disarray/is so behind.
    So disappointed then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

New cases is the one not to watch, it is meaningless with the testing regime that we have.

Agree, it presumably meant something until a couple of days ago, but now not worth really paying attention to unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,680 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

1500 tests a day due to reagent issues worldwide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The current deaths from Italy sound insane, but it’s nothing unusual for March in Italy.
    62000 deaths in March a number of years ago, when we see the number of deaths from this March we can than accurately see the rise in deaths.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-03-31/italy-s-mild-flu-season-may-solve-mystery-of-coronavirus-deaths

Do you have a link to a source that says there was ever 62,000 deaths in Italy in one month from flu. Because it doesnt sound true. 500,000 people worlwide die from flu in a whole year, and youre saying more than 10% of them died in one month in just Italy one year.
    And it is completely unusual for MArch in Italy, otherwise the country would not be on lockdown

This article seems to assume Italy is the only place experiencing a high mortality rate. Spain, the UK, Benelux, NYC all appear to be on similar trajectory if they are not already there. I dont understand why so many people are trying really hard to still compare this to flu, the numbers coming out of Italy, and much of Europe for that matter, are shocking no matter what way you look at it

domrush wrote: »
    When did they say there is 126 people currently in the icu?
    That came out this morning I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭bennyl10

ricero wrote: »

That’s since the beginning.
    There is not currently 126 people in ICU

fullstop wrote: »
    Welll, as was mentioned yesterday, they’ve increased the proportion of positive tests from 6% to 15%, so while the testing is less it’s more targeted.

It seems they're not getting to everyone who even fits the new criteria, so the numbers aren't a great reflection of how things are still.

• Advertisement

unnamed sources said, pity the story is unverifiable.
    Most Italian commentary is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement