Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scarifying

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭damienf1

I've done bit of scarifying at the weekend. Put on some peat moss to fill in so gaps and then added grass seed with bit mo bacter moss remover as added measure. Was thinking use some lime to help the process and germinate the seeds would this be ok? Also by walking on grass would this have any effect on grass seed if i was to do this? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Absolute noob here in relation to gardening. My back garden is about 80sqm and has terrible drainage in the middle. It basically turns into a swamp during the winter and as a result the centre of my lawn is mostly moss with only some grass. I've read this thread with great interest.
    Has anyone any recommendations on where to even start? Obviously I can't go hire a scarifier at the moment and can't really visit any of the garden centres. I might have to wait till June to think about tackling it but is that too late? What other things would I need? Grass seed/Miraclegro? Would I need to keep my cats away from the lawn while I was treating it with any of this stuff (iron sulphate, fertiliser etc)? Really appreciate any advice.

Photos of lawn attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Absolute noob here in relation to gardening. My back garden is about 80sqm and has terrible drainage in the middle. It basically turns into a swamp during the winter and as a result the centre of my lawn is mostly moss with only some grass. I've read this thread with great interest.
    Has anyone any recommendations on where to even start? Obviously I can't go hire a scarifier at the moment and can't really visit any of the garden centres. I might have to wait till June to think about tackling it but is that too late? What other things would I need? Grass seed/Miraclegro? Would I need to keep my cats away from the lawn while I was treating it with any of this stuff (iron sulphate, fertiliser etc)? Really appreciate any advice.

Photos of lawn attached.
    get the drainage issues sorted first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

damienf1 wrote: »
    I've done bit of scarifying at the weekend. Put on some peat moss to fill in so gaps and then added grass seed with bit mo bacter moss remover as added measure. Was thinking use some lime to help the process and germinate the seeds would this be ok? Also by walking on grass would this have any effect on grass seed if i was to do this? Thanks

New grass seed needs to walked in to the ground if you have no roller to do so

shanec1928 wrote: »
    get the drainage issues sorted first.

A landscaper here quoted me almost 2k to install a drainage system in the garden. I like grass, but not that much! I don't have that kind of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭blackbox

A landscaper here quoted me almost 2k to install a drainage system in the garden. I like grass, but not that much! I don't have that kind of money.

DIY?

blackbox wrote: »
    DIY?

I can barely keep a houseplant alive and despise mowing the lawn. I'm not gonna start digging up my garden to install some fancy drainage thing! I tried to lay a path around the garden shed and it nearly killed me. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Look up a french drain. Pretty simple, if your not going to sort the drainage, you will keep getting moss back if ya don’t sort the drainage.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'd leave fertilizing until 4 weeks or so after seeding, you don't want to stress the little buggers until they have rooted well.

The sun and healthy grass will take care of any remaining moss.

When doing your first major scarification take the collector off and prop the flap open a bit with some bungee cords.
    Clear up the thatch/moss before you do the next run and do it 45 degrees from the first run.
    It's better to set your machine high to begin with and with 5 your way down

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Look up a french drain. Pretty simple, if your not going to sort the drainage, you will keep getting moss back if ya don’t sort the drainage.

For simple DIY drainage just take up a half metre square of sod with a shovel. Then dig down another half metre and fill it with gravel. Cover with weed fabric then an inch of topsoil and put the sod back on.

YouTube soakaway for more info.

• Advertisement

:pac::pac: Just looked it up there. I think maybe your definition of 'pretty simple' and my definition of 'pretty simple' are wildly different. The website I looked up said to get in a mini digger to dig the trench. My current DIY experience extends to hanging up a photo and changing a lightbulb.

Advertisement