Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hazard pay ?

• 29-03-2020 9:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭

Should essential workers get paid extra for the risk? most people are getting wages for having to stay home only seems right those taking extra risk should get paid extra?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

I think they definitely should.

But will they, thats another question entirely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I was under the impression those staying at home are doing it for the greater good and hence why they are getting paid for it because otherwise they would starve and go homeless.

Maybe not your point but its almost as if its stay at home for the craic and do **** all when allot of civil liberties are being curtailed to ensure we get on top of this. Also by the fact people are staying at homes is supposedly reducing that risk down for those working.

To your question its a hard one, its easy to say sure because its on the internet but allot of the essential workers will still have jobs when all of this is over an allot staying at home may not have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,819 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Very, very cynical way at looking at it (not my belief, but just a thought), but wouldn’t part of training to be a Doctor/Nurse etc include the idea that things like this can happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

A lot of places that have "essential" staff but who would not be classified as health / medical staff, are paying extra. Most seem to be paying 10% extra.

But there are hundreds of thousands who would love to be out of the house and working - this home schooling lark isn't fun and for many, personal relationships can be fraught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I work in an essential service working with people who are high risk and social distancing isn't an option. No hazard pay for us and I know that we wouldn't get it if we asked. Tbh, I'm just grateful to have a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

No need for hazard pay. But afterwards it would be great for health care workers to have equal pay for equal work, a government that honours contracts with us and an HSE which is focused on care provision as opposed to choking us with pointless layers of management.

It would be great if, instead of hazard pay now, the public supported those measures afterward. They would benefit everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Cupatae wrote:
    Should essential workers get paid extra for the risk? most people are getting wages for having to stay home only seems right those taking extra risk should get paid extra?

I'm a plumber and I'm essential worker. You honestly think I should double my rates tomorrow because I'm taking a risk to provide a service for vulnerable people?

I don't think anyone should be paid extra. The government is borrowing billions to pay everyone at home and trying to keep the economy going. We're all in this together. The people who stay at home & follow the rules and don't spread the virus are hero's too. In actual fact the people sticking to the rules will save more lives than our front line health workers. Now everyone pat themselves on the back please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Certain nurses are still waiting for the back pay of the payrise we were awarded after the industrial action over a year ago, and certain hospitals (mine) haven't begun to pay it at all yet, let alone the back pay. So I'd say its unlikely we'll get any additional pay. They have given staff free food in the canteen though which is very welcome for those who eat there(but I choose to sit in my car on breaks anti-social/sensible social distancing these days :))

What is more likely when this is all over, and the country is trying to get back on its feet, is they'll cut our pay again and take holiday days off us like the last time. For the greater good (the greater good).

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I guess those in the medical field like Nurses and Doctors were already at risk from lots of other things before the coronavirus. It's more the people that work in supermarkets on a very low wage that might be due an extra couple of euro an hour or else they may start quitting in their droves to protect themselves and their families.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm a plumber and I'm essential worker. You honestly think I should double my rates tomorrow because I'm taking a risk to provide a service for vulnerable people?

I don't think anyone should be paid extra. The government is borrowing billions to pay everyone at home and trying to keep the economy going. We're all in this together. The people who stay at home & follow the rules and don't spread the virus are hero's too. In actual fact the people sticking to the rules will save more lives than our front line health workers. Now everyone pat themselves on the back please

I dunno compare your situation to that of a lets say a nurse, say they have to go home to someone that might be high risk? i mean you could ask everyone to leave the room and use PPE. Alot more manageable and more controllable risk...

Take the same scenario for someone on minimum wages, same risk or higher than you but paid far less, still think they should get less?

thats not meant as a dig either just saying there are different situations at play. And of course the people at home are doing a mighty job aswell not knocking anyone.

• Advertisement

Cupatae wrote: »
    I dunno compare your situation to that of a lets say a nurse, say they have to go home to someone that might be high risk? i mean you could ask everyone to leave the room and use PPE. Alot more manageable and more controllable risk...

Take the same scenario for someone on minimum wages, same risk or higher than you but paid far less, still think they should get less?

thats not meant as a dig either just saying there are different situations at play. And of course the people at home are doing a mighty job aswell not knocking anyone.

I wasn't comparing me to a front line medical worker as that isn't what the thread tile says. I mean I could be in a house where the whole family have the virus but the lie to me so they get their shower repaired & they have hot running water again but there is no comparing me to a medic.

The point is this isn't the time to talk about pay hikes or bonus money. The government now has to pay the entire country 350 per week at a time when it is bringing in no taxes. An awful lot is being asked of everyone in Ireland right now.

We need to put our head down till we beat this thing. I have no doubt when the dust settles the ground swell of support from the public, nurses will get all moneis owed to them & next time they look for a raise they will have 4.5 million in their corner fighting for them.

That's all in the future. For now we need everyone to follow the simple rules & make front line doctors & nurses jobs a little easier. Right now I'd bet every doctor & nurse in the country would prefer everyone to stay indoors & follow the rules then get a pay rise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'm not willing to argue for hazard pay but if any nurse or doctor made the argument that they cant go home to their family for risk of bringing anything back I would support allowances being made for them to be provided funds to rent alternate accommodation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We collapsed the economy to give front line staff a clear run at fighting this

That should be enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

We collapsed the economy to give front line staff a clear run at fighting this

That should be enough

We collapsed the economy to save our own lives, we didn’t do it for the benefit of front line staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

callaway92 wrote: »
    Very, very cynical way at looking at it (not my belief, but just a thought), but wouldn’t part of training to be a Doctor/Nurse etc include the idea that things like this can happen?

We're not just talking doctors and nurses here, off-licences are open for example, would you fancy going into work and dealing with the public all day during a pandemic, or lose your job?

I'd be tempted to just say f*ck it myself and stay at home unless there was some sort of hazard pay. Risk has gone up considerably for these people, I doubt it was in the standard contract for a shelf stocker in a supermarket to have 1000x more chance of catch a potentially fatal virus during his or her daily duties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

For anyone saying 'we need to pay our doctors and nurses better after this':

The inevitable recession means any pay increases are a long way away.
    If anything, huge cuts may be on the cards for so many / increases in taxes.

I wasn't comparing me to a front line medical worker as that isn't what the thread tile says. I mean I could be in a house where the whole family have the virus but the lie to me so they get their shower repaired & they have hot running water again but there is no comparing me to a medic.

The point is this isn't the time to talk about pay hikes or bonus money. The government now has to pay the entire country 350 per week at a time when it is bringing in no taxes. An awful lot is being asked of everyone in Ireland right now.

We need to put our head down till we beat this thing. I have no doubt when the dust settles the ground swell of support from the public, nurses will get all moneis owed to them & next time they look for a raise they will have 4.5 million in their corner fighting for them.

That's all in the future. For now we need everyone to follow the simple rules & make front line doctors & nurses jobs a little easier. Right now I'd bet every doctor & nurse in the country would prefer everyone to stay indoors & follow the rules then get a pay rise.

While i agree with your point it isnt about money, but i cant help but feel sorry for people that for example are being highly exposed to it such as supermarket workers and stuff, Its very easy say forget the money when ur on a plumbers wages compared minimum wage. They are risking alot for very little.

Again that isnt a dig at anyone else or that we shouldnt be all workin away regardless, i just think these people should b rewarded for there efforts and the exceptional risk they face, and by proxy there families face aswell

Cupatae wrote:
    While i agree with your point it isnt about money, but i cant help but feel sorry for people that for example are being highly exposed to it such as supermarket workers and stuff, Its very easy say forget the money when ur on a plumbers wages compared minimum wage. They are risking alot for very little.

A family in my area own several small supermarkets, off licences, and convenience stores. All of their staff are being well looked after and knowing this business family staff will get a sizable bonus when things get back to normal.

It's up to individual store to reward their staff. I guess large stores like Tesco and Dunnes mightnt be as generous.

Again that isnt a dig at anyone else or that we shouldnt be all workin away regardless, i just think these people should b rewarded for there efforts and the exceptional risk they face, and by proxy there families face aswell

There are people who don't have the opportunity to work and who's economic means probably will not recover afterwards. There lives have been totally upended.

Additionally there is also the impact on mental health and general wellness from being stuck inside for a long period of time.

Those that still work have a level of normality and are at a lesser risk because of the social distancing that we are all in for.

We are either all in this together or not at all. Putting one group on a pedestal when we are all sacrificing is not the way to get that message across.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭eggy81

Think it's the people that are still allowed work are the winners here not vice versa, apart from medical professionals.

Calhoun wrote: »
    There are people who don't have the opportunity to work and who's economic means probably will not recover afterwards. There lives have been totally upended.

Additionally there is also the impact on mental health and general wellness from being stuck inside for a long period of time.

Those that still work have a level of normality and are at a lesser risk because of the social distancing that we are all in for.

We are either all in this together or not at all. Putting one group on a pedestal when we are all sacrificing is not the way to get that message across.

Thats a strange way at looking at it, i 100% think nurses and doctors and frontline staff should be put on a pedestal, that aside you seem to be under the impression that by paying frontline staff extra its disrespectful to people getting paid to stay safe at home.

Why would someone at home have a problem with frontline staff being paid extra?

We are all in this together but i dont see the problem with acknowledging the fact that frontline workers are facing higher risks.

eggy81 wrote: »
    Think it's the people that are still allowed work are the winners here not vice versa, apart from medical professionals.

I dont think there are any winners in this, i wouldnt call being exposed on a regular basis for minimum wage winning either, like alot of jobs are.

Thats the job, well deserved imo

Thats a strange way at looking at it, i 100% think nurses and doctors and frontline staff should be put on a pedestal, that aside you seem to be under the impression that by paying frontline staff extra its disrespectful to people getting paid to stay safe at home.

Why would someone at home have a problem with frontline staff being paid extra?

We are all in this together but i dont see the problem with acknowledging the fact that frontline workers are facing higher risks.

How is it a strange way of looking at it? Only this morning on the independent you have your man Philly McMahon on about making all his staff redundant to try and keep the business afloat. He has big concerns if he can continue post this incident, allot of others are in that same boat.

We are all supposed to be in this together so it means we all make sacrifices. Some sectors of society just happen to be on the front lines, the only reason why allot more are not on the frontlines is the understanding that they will make a big sacrifice to not go out while this gets clear.

As i have said already, allot are not just being paid to stay at home and have the craic.

Calhoun wrote: »
    How is it a strange way of looking at it? Only this morning on the independent you have your man Philly McMahon on about making all his staff redundant to try and keep the business afloat. He has big concerns if he can continue post this incident, allot of others are in that same boat.

We are all supposed to be in this together so it means we all make sacrifices. Some sectors of society just happen to be on the front lines, the only reason why allot more are not on the frontlines is the understanding that they will make a big sacrifice to not go out while this gets clear.

As i have said already, allot are not just being paid to stay at home and have the craic.

Would you be offended if those on the frontline got paid extra as a thank you?

Would you be offended if those on the frontline got paid extra as a thank you?

If they were the only part of society getting extra for doing their bit in this crisis then yes.

We are going to have a fairly big hangover after all is said and done and allot of livelihoods are at stake. Some recognition for that also would be good to see.

This is a really cool initiative that is being run at the moment, to show those on the frontline how much they are appreciated.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/feed-the-heroes-campaign-raises-over-550000-to-help-frontline-staff-in-covid-19-battle-39091712.html

I think when all is said and done we should relook at who needs what from it and sort them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

The bill to the state is 6.7 billion at the moment without any increase for public workers and it’s hard to see how anybody can be paid more. As a nation we will be paying for this for years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

This is utter BS. Front line staff don't need feed the heroes or hazard pay. What they need is proper PPE AND to be treated well/properly ( equal pay for equal work, the government not reneging on contracts etc ) when this is all over as well as fewer drunk and high people insulting/assaulting us when we try to treat them over years to come. Ideally the public might also support us when we point out gaps in the health service and advocate for more resourcing to provide you all with the help YOU will beg for when you become sick --- but which many of you wouldn't support us in asking for prior to the point in time YOU yourself need it.

That'll be far more welcome and have far more impact than these passing fancies.

Advertisement