Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masks

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

fr336 wrote: »
    Last post for a while I promise (though to be fair I did start the thread :pac:) but how would I clean this? Or can I just leave it out in the air? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-8822-FP2-ONE-Respirator-Valved-Mask-Made-in-UK-Expiry-2023-Medica-Gloves/313043771497?hash=item48e2dce069:g:I~wAAOSwPRtegiTG/

Jesus dont pay that for it unless you are desperate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

khalessi wrote: »
    I reckoned that was put about to prevent panic buying of masks. I generally wear a mask and snood with gloves and protective glasses when shopping and change clothes and stick them in washing machine on return to house

Fellow gamer :) I do the same I wear a long coat with good glasses and n95 with gloves .
    Today I did a big shop and I didn't look different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Yes: other
    I got some ffp3 masks before they were in short supply. I posted some to my mother. I'll wear one when I cut a rotten beam out of my garage attic at the weekend. I have not seen a need to wear them in public yet. If things get bad enough to need them to do general tasks I probably will avoid shops and start eating some of the food stores I built up since January instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Fellow gamer :) I do the same I wear a long coat with good glasses and n95 with gloves .
    Today I did a big shop and I didn't look different

You do know that there isn't a need to wear a mask out at the moment unless your either sick or already have a respiratory illness.

If other countries want to go off and do their own thing let them, I wouldn't be copying the states, they've proved how inept they are in dealing with this.

The official advice is you dont need to wear them. I'd much rather seen the stock of vital masks such as n95 be in the hands of the medical staff who are dealing with infected people for hours every day.

Likewise gloves unless your going to be using hand sanitizer all the time on the gloves are just a false sense of security.
    Most people seems to think they protect them and I've seen people in the supermarkets wear the same pair of gloves through the whole shop and then get into the car, it's even worse, whatever you've touched and if there is any virus is now on the gloves and then on everything you touch. Proper hand hygiene is the key point

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Yes: surgical
    GreeBo wrote: »
    Ok so we are now at basic reading comprehension failure so I'm afraid I cant help you any further.

Nope. Right back at you. This was what was stated. If there are comprehension issues - I'd suggest the use of a good dictionary to start.
    GreeBo wrote:
    Ah here. There are studies that show people are more risk embracing when they are wearing protective equipment than otherwise. ..

That should help a little.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Another one...
    You do know that there isn't a need to wear a mask out at the moment unless your either sick or already have a respiratory illness.

The official advice is you dont need to wear them.
    Maybe have a read through the thread S to get the other side which argues the official advice is a load of half truths. I'll bet now that if you read this post in six months time you'll be wondering why you wholeheartedly took this position now.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Wibbs wrote: »
    Another one...Maybe have a read through the thread S to get the other side which argues the official advice is a load of half truths. I'll bet now that if you read this post in six months time you'll be wondering why you wholeheartedly took this position now.

Careful now, he's leaving streaks as he's licking the window

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If other countries want to go off and do their own thing let them, I wouldn't be copying the states, they've proved how inept they are in dealing with this.

The official advice is you dont need to wear them. I'd much rather seen the stock of vital masks such as n95 be in the hands of the medical staff who are dealing with infected people for hours every day.

Likewise gloves unless your going to be using hand sanitizer all the time on the gloves are just a false sense of security.
    Most people seems to think they protect them and I've seen people in the supermarkets wear the same pair of gloves through the whole shop and then get into the car, it's even worse, whatever you've touched and if there is any virus is now on the gloves and then on everything you touch. Proper hand hygiene is the key point

Hmmm.....
    UrbanFret wrote: »
    If you have one wear it. I'm a firefighter we are under instruction to wear them at all incidents not just suspected coronavirus cases. Tells me all I need to know.;)

Sorry, I'm with him on this.

The main problem with that logic is that you have no idea who is sick or not.

If people wear masks that particular Russian roulette scenario is reduced.

I'd strongly suggest you read this thread from the beginning. Especially Wibbs well informed comments.

Listening to the stuff being peddled as fact against masks by some interests simply does not stack up.

And just in case you feel guilty using up stocks of medical masks - most those available are not suitable for medical use due to chain of custody issues and medical sterilization standards.

To protect yourself and others including health care workers -
    If you have a facemask use it. If you do not - make one yourself.

Keep washing your hands as well. It's not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

No: I don't care enough
    can i get a mask with a jolly roger on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Another one...Maybe have a read through the thread S to get the other side which argues the official advice is a load of half truths. I'll bet now that if you read this post in six months time you'll be wondering why you wholeheartedly took this position now.

Nope I wont, I've read up on it and i have my own views which I'm entitled to like your entitled to yours which I have no issue with.

Personally i wont be wearing one unless theres advice from the CMO to the contrary and if it's made mandatory. It's up to people to make up their own minds but having read up on it over the last week or so I'm happy to follow the advice we've been given so far.

I'm interested in the sterlization procedures for the masks, but my understanding is they degrade the quality at best. Personally I think it's wasteful to use them now during general activities that can be considered low risk. Things are going to get worse before they get better and I want to be sure of having some when I really want them, and not have question marks over the efficacy after cooking or steaming them etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Personally I think it's wasteful to use them now during general activities that can be considered low risk.

What would you consider, general low-risk activities?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭s982102

Yes: to protect others
    I'm interested in the sterlization procedures for the masks, but my understanding is they degrade the quality at best. Personally I think it's wasteful to use them now during general activities that can be considered low risk. Things are going to get worse before they get better and I want to be sure of having some when I really want them, and not have question marks over the efficacy after cooking or steaming them etc.

The virus wont survive for more than a week. So prepare a few and use them in turn. When u finished with them, just leave them somewhere dry, say at the back seat of the car for a week. By doing this an ffp2 mask can last for a long time.

Can N95 respirators be reused?

Yes—and it’s important to note that reused N95 respirators will provide better protection than homemade masks. We can extend the availability of N95 respirator supplies if we reuse them until they are visibly soiled or structurally damaged.

Each mask or respirator should be stored in a separate breathable paper bag at room temperature between uses.
    When should masks and respirators be discarded?

Discard a mask or N95 respirator when it is contaminated with blood or bodily fluids, when you can no longer obtain a good seal at the nose or around the mouth, or when it is visibly damaged or dirty or hard to breathe through.
    https://www.jhsph.edu/covid-19/articles/the-right-mask-for-the-task.html

Pretzill wrote: »
    What would you consider, general low-risk activities?
    Shopping where limited numbers of people are admitted at a time and social distancing is observed. Going for walks outside where the same is true. I don’t think the virus is prevalent enough in my area yet for these to be high risk. I have stopped using aldi and lidl in favor of dunnes and super valu because of customer behavior and protocols in place.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I got as far as “The Daily...”

I wouldn’t use vacuum cleaner bags. You can get high quality hepa filters for certain vacuums. They would be efficacious if you made a functional mask with one. Not a cheap option though.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

I wouldn’t use vacuum cleaner bags. You can get high quality hepa filters for certain vacuums. They would be efficacious if you made a functional mask with one. Not a cheap option though.

Have some breathable roofing membrane (really strong stuff) might cut a strip and see if I can fashion something from it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Shopping where limited numbers of people are admitted at a time and social distancing is observed. Going for walks outside where the same is true. I don’t think the virus is prevalent enough in my area yet for these to be high risk. I have stopped using aldi and lidl in favor of dunnes and super valu because of customer behavior and protocols in place.

Dear Gawwwwwwd.. Lidl, Aldi, Dunnes and Tesco have same-as restrictions... All restrictions are as you enter and as you leave.... everyone inside uses their initiative and floor markings..also in all stores shoppers numbers are limited.
    IMHO

Vacuum cleaner bags were tested as coming second to N95 masks, so the DM article is right on the money.

Dear Gawwwwwwd.. Lidl, Aldi, Dunnes and Tesco have same-as restrictions... All restrictions are as you enter and as you leave.... everyone inside uses their initiative and floor markings..also in all stores shoppers numbers are limited.
    IMHO
    Lidl car park was packed and nobody was outside. Last I heard aldi was mobbed and people in it were not giving a crap. You realize you’re not my neighbour yeah?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

No: other
    na1 wrote: »
    unless it is a full face mask it is no use
    the infection can pass through eyes

as per Dr. Chris Smith, virologist at Cambridge often found on BBC..the full fitted face mask is better, but surgical masks are negligible and gloves are no real benefit.

https://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=78906.msg595622#msg595622

from 3:10 here, specifically asked about how well used they are in the Far East

https://www.thenakedscientists.com/podcasts/ask-naked-scientists/covid-19-problem-pregnancy

If you touch an infected surface when out shopping and then touch your face to take off your mask or adjust it, you're in danger. People think they are invincible with gloves when they are far from it, masks will realistically be no different.

Wash your hands, don't touch your face and keep away from people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

It's actually worrying, the amount of people (idiots) who genuinely seem to have bought into the whole 'masks do nothing' lies, which were blatantly spread as an attempt to curtail people panic buying them in bulk, so much that they just parrot it every time the topic of masks come up. And don't get me wrong, I agree with them doing so if they're short on PPE for the frontline staff. It's just discouraging seeing how many people can't realise the reality and accept it, and acknowledge it for what it is.

But masks are not useless, you ****ing morons. All over Asia people are made wear them and it's the Asian countries which have handled this pandemic the best. Can you actually do some critical thinking? Yes, surgical masks do not protect the wearer very much from getting infected, but they're not intended to. They're intended to catch the droplets when people wearing them cough and sneeze. If you read this sentence and still think "so they're useless", I am sorry but you are a dumbass since you can't deduct the use of them from this.

If every one of us behaves as if we have the virus and attempt to prevent ourselves from spreading it to other people, by wearing these surgical masks to help catch our droplets, then the virus is slowed down far more than if everyone continues to not wear a mask. Combine these with social distancing and blocking your coughs and sneezes with your elbows and we would see much better results

And before it's brought up; individuals touching their face due to wearing the masks is a separate issue and not a counterargument to the effectiveness of everyone wearing masks

I don't even...

Of course doctors and nurses are more vulnerable. They're in direct contact with multiple infected people releasing large amounts of viral material for many hours at a time. Most of them aren't wearing full dangerous pathogen protection gear, relying on face masks of various levels of actual protection and gloves and gowns. If they can even get them. The slightest slip up in such an environment can lead to infection. Even then, right in the firing line, the majority of doctors and nurses don't get infected.

The joke is no military leadership would send their men into an environment that risky, not without full NBC kit. And it's been like that for decades.

https://i.redd.it/tk1r3lte5vo01.jpg

Armies around the world are actually better equipped for something like this than most medical people. And there is a lot of stock sitting on army supply shelves. Hell you can buy all of that kit as surplus on ebay for feck all. Which begs the question could armies not start repurpose some of that gear and supply training to use it to medical people now? Especially those going in and out of isolation wards filled with infected people. I realise that kit is a curse to work in, but it's far more protective.

Wibbs. As above - for you - similar now being done in Italy ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

For those who need repeated reasoning...

As it says in this video from a Professor of pathology, not only does ANY mask stop aerosol particles from another person's or your own sneeze or breath traveling as far, it also cuts down on the amount of virus one could potentially breathe in at one go.
    Thus giving a LOWER INOCULUM of virus particles. Very important.
    This gives the immune system time to gear up and go to war. Many studies of viruses show a lower viral load at the beginning has better outcomes.

It is just logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

gozunda wrote: »
    Wibbs. As above - for you - similar now being done in Italy ...

Good to be seen what can be done with the proper ppe rather then what we normally use here. Hopefully the new ppe will be of a similar standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

BBC reporting(9hours ago) WHO considering changing their advise about masks.

Also report New York mayor advises citizens to wear masks.

They also mention that the WHO will update its guidance IF the US does. Does this mean they are just parrotting the US line?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement