Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Yes: valved
    iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I am going to cut up some old t shirts to make them .

Just made mine from an old t-shirt from that site I posted.
    No sewing needed.

Worked out extremely well.
    I'm sure I'm gonna get looks going to the shops later, but by next week I reckon not having one will be odd.

https://masks4all.co/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Yes: surgical
    For any still in doubt about the efficacy of wearing face masks ...

(Video from the previous post)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

YFlyer wrote: »
    Factory in Kilmallock, Limerick.

Are they shipping to hospitals in Ireland or abroad? What would their output be I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Factory in Kilmallock, Limerick.
    there must be more then one... that could do this kind of stuff

heres an article on them from early March
    Covid-19 brings economic boost to Limerick company
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0305/1120498-coronavirus-mask-manufacturer/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

ijohhj wrote: »
    I wish I could find any useful supplies. Haven't seen a bottle of hand sanitizer in weeks.

Soap(bars) is just as effective. The corona virus is surrounded by a lipid(fatty) layer; easily dissolved in soap.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-covid-19-breathing-talking-enough-spread-airborne/amp

According to this, you can catch the virus by just breathing or talking. So yeah, they need to start telling people to use masks.

If this can be spread through breathing and talking, if some of us are wearing masks, can't it still get in through the eyes?

Other countries made mask wearing mandatory, we need to as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Projectfashion.ie
    youtube video on mask making

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDUkrDMDO3M

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Yes: other
    If this can be spread through breathing and talking, if some of us are wearing masks, can't it still get in through the eyes?

Other countries made mask wearing mandatory, we need to as well.

Yes it can, but it's significantly better to wear one than not wear one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Yes: homemade
    Been wearing a mask (the type you’d buy in a DIY shop) for the past week. I wear them when I go to the shops. If anything happens to them I’ll make my own, feel much safer with them. The must be a factory in Ireland that can start making these quickly. Such a simple thing for anyone who can use a sewing machine to run up.

I have a few of these. I would like to reuse them, rather than throw them away after one use. Can they be cleaned, washed?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

GreeBo wrote: »
    Yes it can, but it's significantly better to wear one than not wear one.
    +1 mainly because anyone already infected wearing one reduces the amount of virus exhaled that can get to the eyes of anyone who isn't infected. It seems transmission through only the eyes is possible, especially in health workers in high viral environments, but in the general population it appears to be the lower risk compared to through the airways. Plus if higher viral load is more likely to cause higher complications and fatalities then if you did get it through the eyes it will be slower to get into your airways and gives more time for the body to fight it off.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

there must be more then one... that could do this kind of stuff
    Any company in Ireland making clothes of any kind could ramp up to making at least simple masks. Same with tailors, even those dry cleaners that offer clothes alterations.

With the addition of a removable layer of HEPA vacuum cleaner bags the protection level would go right up, especially if incorporated into the duckface* type mask. They could be used in care homes if supplies ran low or quality of said supplies were substandard(as appears to be somewhat the case already).

*sorry dunno the correct term.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

And another tip folks.
    If you are out and about, and want to wash your clothes after getting home, do not shake your clothes before putting them into the washing machine as it could send the virus into the air. This is how dangerous this virus is.
    I always shake clothes to loosen them up before putting them into the machine. This will now stop.

I think that it was on a UK gov site that I read about this tip early this morning when looking for the recommended temperature for washing possible Covid-19 infected clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I have a few of these. I would like to reuse them, rather than throw them away after one use. Can they be cleaned, washed?

This is based on nothing scientific at all but we only have three of the DIY masks here .I put our name on one each , when we wear it we take it off with a wipe and straight away wipe it down with a dettol wipe . I then leave it wrapped in a wipe until I need it again ,

Today we are going to sew some fabric oneswith help from you tube and wash them after each use .

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1 mainly because anyone already infected wearing one reduces the amount of virus exhaled that can get to the eyes of anyone who isn't infected. It seems transmission through only the eyes is possible, especially in health workers in high viral environments, but in the general population it appears to be the lower risk compared to through the airways. Plus if higher viral load is more likely to cause higher complications and fatalities then if you did get it through the eyes it will be slower to get into your airways and gives more time for the body to fight it off.

I hope we make it mandatory to wear masks because of how contagious this is and with people not showing symptoms. It's scary ****. The CDC is now recommending all Americans wear masks. How far behind do we have to be to get this recommendation from our government?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I hope we make it mandatory to wear masks because of how contagious this is and with people not showing symptoms. It's scary ****. The CDC is now recommending all Americans wear masks. How far behind do we have to be to get this recommendation from our government?

A recommendation does not make it mandatory. If the government does make it mandatory and I believe they should for the duration of this crisis, they will need an adequate stock for the entire population

ShyMets wrote: »
    A recommendation does not make it mandatory. If the government does make it mandatory and I believe they should for the duration of this crisis, they will need an adequate stock for the entire population
    Agreed and that's why we need to follow places like the Czech Republic's lead and have a grassroots drive to make them for ourselves. Plus as well as reducing risks in the community,this would also be a morale booster for the community.

ShyMets wrote: »

CDC are recommending that you make your own cloth face masks and leave the n95 and surgical masks for the healthcare workers.

Surely a recommendation to wear cloth face masks for some protection is better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

CDC are recommending that you make your own cloth face masks and leave the n95 and surgical masks for the healthcare workers.

Surely a recommendation to wear cloth face masks for some protection is better than nothing.

How do N95 masks compare to the Ffp3 masks recommended here.

Btw I found an unopened FFp3 mask in an box in a press at home. Should I send it in to a Hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

There are lots of masks available now. There weren't any in the shops a couple of weeks ago (we still had a bunch from before when my brother was in hong kong) . But now there are lots ..we just bought some.

If the state wants them to have them ...there are lots available now. All they have to do is get them.

• Advertisement

Btw I found an unopened FFp3 mask in an box in a press at home. Should I send it in to a Hospital?

Ffp3 masks are very good masks. I think it filters out 99% of particles. If you're not going to use masks, I'm sure any hospital or nursing home would be happy for the donation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭BrianD3

FFP3 respirator should be slightly better than N95. But N95, N99, FFP2, FFP3 are all good.

Even FFP1 or a lower spec dust mask would make a difference.

I wouldn't send it to a hospital. It may well sit on a shelf unused or someone will deem it to be the wrong spec or brand or chain of custody won't be right. If it is used it will likely be discarded after a very short time due to standard procedures when it could have been saved, sterilised and reused.

Simply put, one FFP3 respirator is probably of more benefit to you than it is in a healthcare setting. Now if you had a million respirators, that would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I live in Continental Europe and nearly all chemists are out of masks and disposable gloves.
    I can't saw for the life of me, so have been wearing a merino neck warmer up to cover my nose and mouth when I go to the supermarket. And gloves (initially wollen / leather, then those "sensitive" ones for doing the washing up.
    Better than nothing, I keep saying to myself.
    Of course, washing hands when I get back home and again after putting the shopping in the fridge/presses.

Finally managed to find a chemist near me which sold "1 pandemic kit" per customer: two surgical masks, one pair of disposable gloves. I got it for the masks, will start wearing it next time I go shopping.
    Until they find a vaccine, the Goverments will have to stock them properly and to distribute them via the Chemists, a limited number per person to avoid profiteering, but that's the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

BrianD3 wrote: »
    FFP3 respirator should be slightly better than N95. But N95, N99, FFP2, FFP3 are all good.

I wouldn't send it to a hospital. It may well sit on a shelf unused or someone will deem it to be the wrong spec or brand or chain of custody won't be right. If it is used it will likely be discarded after a very short time due to standard procedures when it could have been saved, sterilised and reused.

Simply put, one FFP3 respirator is probably of more benefit to you than it is in a healthcare setting. Now if you had a million respirators, that would be different.

Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Due to the unprecedented scale of the Covid-19 outbreak and our commitment to providing constant supply to our existing customers and the Irish Health Service Executive, Irema Ireland is no longer accepting orders for Surgical and Respirator Face Masks for delivery prior to October 2020.
    https://www.irema.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Wash hands during any of that ritual?

Yep with hand sanitiser
    As I am a nurse I have always used the Ayliffe technique of handwashing and I shower on return from shop but thanks for asking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

For people who cannot sew ...or use a glue gun ;)
    In fact, for anyone.

https://twitter.com/Constance8News/status/1246186931643449349?s=19

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

No: other
    Neyite wrote: »
    Just like gloves, there will never be perfect usage. And people using them badly is probably feck all good except for the fact that likely these mouthbreathers that do fiddle with them a lot are exactly the kind of idiots that cough right on the back of your neck in the queue because social distancing markers on the floor are irrelevant to them. So masking them up helps somewhat but not perfectly.

There are lots and lots of people who are clueless about transfer. I wouldn't know much but I did watch enough CSI crap to give me the basic overview. I wear gloves doing the shopping. Especially since seeing the fcukwit in the veg aisle the first week of lockdown sanitise his hands at the entrance, immediately coughed and sneezed into his open palm several times, then paw all the fresh ginger root with the same hands before finally selecting one. The indian curry I'd planned for dinner got an abrupt rethink. <puke emoji> I plan to wear a mask now in shops as well.

I put on the gloves outside of the car, I do the shopping, and once the bags are in the boot, they get binned before I sit into the car again. A fresh pair of gloves then to unload the shopping from the bag onto a table in the hall. Groceries are taken out of external packaging at that point too if possible or packaging given a wipe with disinfectant before it gets any further into the house.

I've got a shoe disinfection station at my front door as well. There's a basin with a puddle of disinfectant for shoe soles to get dipped in and then they go on the rack beside it. We step onto a towel in our socks then into our indoor shoes. Even our 7yo gets the invisible line where the shoes don't cross over.
    I know it's not foolproof, but the more we try to find ways of interrupting potential transmission of it the better.

This is largely fine, but if the idea is to see people doing this en masse every time they are outside as some sort of 'grassroot movement', then it's fantasy and it's not something you can police.

You don't have to look far to see how unhygienic people are in non coronavirus times when nothing is at risk.

Wibbs wrote: »

though you'll look like Darth Vader's slow witted little sister. :)

"Luke...I am your Auntie" :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

BrianD3 wrote: »

@maskmatch has thus far sent 50,000 masks to healthcare workers in America... people who have spare masks are matched with healthcare workers and they mail direct. A friend who is a nurse in new york has received several n95s in this way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement