Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Masks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

No: I will wait for the HSE to recommend
    Graham wrote: »
    You quoted 'reasonable excuses' nothing more.

Mental illness is a 'reasonable excuse' for killing someone. Do we just take someone's word for it?

Killing someone is quite definite.
    While people may believe that "if you do not have mask you may be spreading virus and maybe killing someone down the line" argument- is not that definite. It deals with possibility, maybe probability but still with quite a lot of "what if's" and "maybe".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

So you think people have to explain to bus drivers

Let's take a look at the legislation
    The following persons (each of whom, in these Regulations, is referred to as a “relevant person”) are specified as relevant persons for the purposes of these Regulations:

(a) any officer, employee or agent of a public transport operator
    (2) Before exercising a power under paragraph (1) in respect of a passenger, a relevant person shall give the passenger an opportunity to provide reasonable excuse and may request the passenger to provide such information as the relevant person considers necessary to determine whether or not the passenger has reasonable excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Graham wrote: »
    Let's take a look at the legislation

But he does have a point when he said, I don’t want to wear my mask as it distressed me and is an exemption. He doesn’t have to show himself getting distressed or provide documentation of having social anxiety. All he has to say is it distressed me.

No: I don't care enough
    Except if you read the legislation you can. A simple “I am exempt because a mask causes me severe distress” is enough.

The legislation on reasonable excuses includes:

- Cannot wear a face covering because of a physical or mental illness or a disability, or because it would cause you severe distress.

This is enough to get a Gard to leave you alone. Anything else you say is pure speculation.

Absolute bull, anyone not wearing a mask should be fined unless they can prove with documented evidence that they are exempt.

It’s like saying I can park in a disabled space and just claim I’m disabled and can’t be questioned on it. Horse s*it of the highest order.

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Should be but can not be due to multitude other factors which can result from possible enforcement. Data protection, medical records are considered confidential, possible discrimination issues if someone try to stop you....

Thankfully this discrimination rubbish isn’t being pandered to by many shops. I’ve see a number of people refused entry to shops without masks, I don’t now if they were trying to claim they were exempt as I was back in the queue but they were sent in their way. There were two separate people in the queue to dunnes the last day sent on their way as they had no masks - absolutely brilliant to see this happening.

No documented evidence for not needing a mask then you need a mask simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

No: other
    Protect yourself first and foremost. Any person not wearing a mask as we get well into Autumn and winter are selfish fools and risking their health, it's going to be a tough 4 months or so for the world

joeguevara wrote: »
    He doesn’t have to show himself getting distressed or provide documentation of having social anxiety. All he has to say is it distressed me.

That's not what the legislation says.
    a relevant person shall give the passenger an opportunity to provide reasonable excuse and may request the passenger to provide such information as the relevant person considers necessary

Personally I'd prefer to see a blanket "you must", with the state providing alternative support for those that can't.

But he does have a point when he said, I don’t want to wear my mask as it distressed me and is an exemption. He doesn’t have to show himself getting distressed or provide documentation of having social anxiety. All he has to say is it distressed me.

And I’d say p*ss off out of here - it’s a mask not a fecking roll of barbed wire. Wearing a mask causes “severe distress” my hole.

Documented evidence or a mask is required that’s how this should be run and in some places at least that’s thankfully how it is being implemented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

And I’d say p*ss off out of here - it’s a mask not a fecking roll of barbed wire. Wearing a mask causes “severe distress” my hole.

Documented evidence or a mask is required that’s how this should be run and in some places at least that’s thankfully how it is being implemented.
    Thankfully most people who create regulations are intelligent and understand that there are people who have a different way of thinking.

1. There are people who would be easily led by anti vaxxer types and will believe in the anti mask bullsh1t. They could be distressed due to their gullibility of belief of false information

2. There are many people who have mild disabilities that could be distressed.

3. There are people who have facial skin conditions that wearing a mask can cause issues.

Once you have 80%+ wearing them, it's overall effectiveness is near optimum

I’m the most pro mask person you could meet. But I was explaining how the legislation works. Also seeing as social anxiety is considered a disability under the equality act, which in many cases causes it to be exacerbated when mouth is restricted, refusing is discrimination and is actionable.

Now I did previously give loopholes on what the bus driver could do, but basically for this one, all they have to say is that it distresses them.

• Advertisement

I really fail to see how masks are helping. The numbers dropped insanely low while nobody was wearing masks and remained that way for months. People were out and about and going about their days at the time.

In fact, since we've made masks mandatory, the case numbers have risen. Could it be that they are actually doing more harm than good? The medical experts have said many times that they can do more harm if not worn correctly.

I certainly don't believe they are doing much good. Good optics though I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭bloopy

I really fail to see how masks are helping. The numbers dropped insanely low while nobody was wearing masks and remained that way for months. People were out and about and going about their days at the time.

In fact, since we've made masks mandatory, the case numbers have risen. Could it be that they are actually doing more harm than good? The medical experts have said many times that they can do more harm if not worn correctly.

I have worked throughout the pandemic in a retail business. Once the masks were brought in, all the other rules essentially went out the window - social distancing, coughing into elbow, etc.
    People seem to think that the mask is some sort of magic barrier which protects them from anything and everything - they will come right up into your face to ask a question and then practically shout it at you.
    Most people are not wearing them properly either as they have become little more than a device to enter a shop with minimal fuss or dirty looks.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Thankfully most people who create regulations are intelligent and understand that there are people who have a different way of thinking.

1. There are people who would be easily led by anti vaxxer types and will believe in the anti mask bullsh1t. They could be distressed due to their gullibility of belief of false information

2. There are many people who have mild disabilities that could be distressed.

3. There are people who have facial skin conditions that wearing a mask can cause issues.

Once you have 80%+ wearing them, it's overall effectiveness is near optimum

I’m not denying that there are gunuine reasons for not wear a mask but all of these should have no issue having a letter on them (aside from very obviously disabilities) to prove they don’t need it. That’s all I’m saying.

The county is far more open than back them so you can’t compare like that, id ask where would we be without masks!! Things could be much worse.

Also masks aren’t madatory in enough places - they should be mandatory in restaurants and pubs except while eating, absolutely zero tolerance to not wearing them at any other time. As an aside I don’t believe restaurants and pubs should be open at all though.

They should be mandatory of all staff and students of all ages I’m schools at all time except when outside. As an aside I don’t believe schools should be open at all.

Anywhere else indoors they should be mandatory at all times.

You would be surprised at what else can cause distress to some people.
    Like for example reading posts on a mask-wearing topic clearly causes some distress in you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Why haven't cases risen at the exponential growth levels here and in other countries as seen during March and early April? Too much to comprehend for some

You would be surprised at what else can cause distress to some people.
    Like for example reading posts on a mask-wearing topic clearly causes some distress in you.

Stupidity annoys me and there is plenty of that around with the anti-mask and anti-restrictions, anti-vax etc posters around here.

• Advertisement

I’m not denying that there are gunuine reasons for not wear a mask but all of these should have no issue having a letter on them (aside from very obviously disabilities) to prove they don’t need it. That’s all I’m saying.
    And who is entitled to check these "letters"? Cashiers? Security? Shelf stackers? As if you think that gardai will have time to stand by shops to check if people are "entitled" not to wear them you are in for surprise.

The county is far more open than back them so you can’t compare like that, id ask where would we be without masks!! Things could be much worse.

Also masks aren’t madatory in enough places - they should be mandatory in restaurants and pubs except while eating, absolutely zero tolerance to not wearing them at any other time. As an aside I don’t believe restaurants and pubs should be open at all though.

They should be mandatory of all staff and students of all ages I’m schools at all time except when outside. As an aside I don’t believe schools should be open at all.

Anywhere else indoors they should be mandatory at all times.
    I see. Let me ask you how long do you think any country can survive with such lockdown you propose?
    If you do not like it out there perhaps you can cocoon and stay isolated from this covid mortal danger.

Stupidity annoys me and there is plenty of that around with the anti-mask and anti-restrictions, anti-vax etc posters around here.

There are very few of those here. You are naive if you think there are only anti and pro-people out there. The simple fact is that as this progress on people start seeing things, compare numbers, and also start asking questions.

And who is entitled to check these "letters"? Cashiers? Security? Shelf stackers? As if you think that gardai will have time to stand by shops to check if people are "entitled" not to wear them you are in for surprise.

Security at the door, bus drivers etc. In many shops I go to door security are already stopping people without masks and making decisions on who does and doesn’t enter. It’s almost like you think this is not already common.

If I park in a disable bay in a shopping centre shop parking attendants have no issue checking who is entitled to park there.

I see. Let me ask you how long do you think any country can survive with such lockdown you propose?
    If you do not like it out there perhaps you can cocoon and stay isolated from this covid mortal danger.

The country should never have come out of the lockdown when it did that was a massive error in judgement. If we kept locked down over the summer we could be in a place now with the virus almost gone from the county and we could be able to open even more than we are but much more safely (but not travel into or out of the country allowed bar absolute emergencies). This opinion is strongly supported by experts such as a professor in UCC in virology.

A harder lockdown for a little longer would be much better than a much longer half hearted lockdown we have now.

There are very few of those here. You are naive if you think there are only anti and pro-people out there. The simple fact is that as this progress on people start seeing things, compare numbers, and also start asking questions.

They are the minority but there are a few, one is following you around thanking your posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Security at the door, bus drivers etc. In many shops I go to door security are already stopping people without masks and making decisions on who does and doesn’t enter. It’s almost like you think this is not already common.

If I park in a disable bay in a shopping centre shop parking attendants have no issue checking who is entitled to park there.

The country should never have come out of the lockdown when it did that was a massive error in judgement. If we kept locked down over the summer we could be in a place now with the virus almost gone from the county and we could be able to open even more than we are but much more safely (but not travel into or out of the country allowed bar absolute emergencies). This opinion is strongly supported by experts such as a professor in UCC in virology.

A harder lockdown for a little longer would be much better than a much longer half hearted lockdown we have now.

I presume you work at home?

• Advertisement

bush wrote: »
    I presume you work at home?

I’ve been full time WFH since March yes, prior to that I would have WFH quite regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I’ve been full time WFH since March yes, prior to that I would have WFH quite regularly.

Ye so your grand working away meanwhile everyone else who can't work from home is out of a job

bush wrote: »
    Ye so your grand working away meanwhile everyone else who can't work from home is out of a job

Probably fair to say that's not an accurate summary of reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Was in shop in navan this morning. Again I saw a few individuals strolling in together without masks and ordering breakfast rolls (with taco sauce). I saw the same yesterday.

These people must be either immune or too stupid to read the signs in that shop and every other shop in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Yes: valved

It has always been said that masks are only one part of the toolbox in the fight against Covid. I have never heard it said they are the be all and end all but there's absolutely no defence against stupidity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Masks don't stop you from getting it. If you wear a mask and stand close to an infected person, you'll still get it.

What it can help with though, you might not get covid as bad. This is why social distancing and masks are so important. So that could explain the cases going up and little deaths lately.

Protect yourself first and foremost. Any person not wearing a mask as we get well into Autumn and winter are selfish fools and risking their health, it's going to be a tough 4 months or so for the world

Any person that vulnerable that they can't wear a mask, shouldn't be out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes: homemade
    Any person that vulnerable that they can't wear a mask, shouldn't be out.

Plenty of people who can't mask due to sensory issues don't have Covid-relevant diseases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Masks don't stop you from getting it. If you wear a mask and stand close to an infected person, you'll still get it.

Surely makes it less likely?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

but that is what you saw legal?

does the legislation for retail (not transport) say it much be the manager? not staff?

As defined by a responsible person
    “responsible person”, in relation to a relevant premises, means each of the following:

a) the occupier of the relevant premises,

(b) the manager of the relevant premises, and

(c) any other person for the time being in charge of the relevant premises;

A worker is also defined as
    “worker”, in relation to a relevant premises, means a person working at the relevant premises under a contract of employment or a contract for service.

so as to distinguish the worker from the responsible person

(4) A responsible person shall take reasonable steps to engage with persons entering or in the relevant premises to inform them of the requirements of paragraph (1) and to promote compliance with those requirements.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2020/si/296/made/en/print

if you don't want to wear a mask , ask to speak to the manager only:pac:

• Advertisement

Surely makes it less likely?:confused:

I think you're more likely to be asymptomatic. So you can still have the virus.

I think you're more likely to be asymptomatic. So you can still have the virus.

It stops the virus spread out so it has to also give some protection on it coming it - how couldn’t it!

Any bit of extra protection is worth it and I personally think masks offer a lot more protection than not wearing one.

The government made masks mandatory in certain places. Then there's certain places that it hasn't been made mandatory, like in offices and factories.

I know of a few offices and factories that employers made masks mandatory in their workplace and some that hasn't. This got me thinking. Is there a reason for workplaces not mandating masks themselves? Can it become a legal issue if they go against the HSE advice and mandate masks anyways?

Was in shop in navan this morning. Again I saw a few individuals strolling in together without masks and ordering breakfast rolls (with taco sauce). I saw the same yesterday.

These people must be either immune or too stupid to read the signs in that shop and every other shop in the country.

I don't know why staff don't object to serving these people. They don't seem to realise that they are putting their own and their families' health at risk by interacting with them, not to mention the dozens or even hundreds of people who come into the shop.
    Personally, I don't have any difficulty in pointing out if if someone is not wearing a mask, too many people in Ireland think that legislation is written for the other guy.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    I don't know why staff don't object to serving these people. They don't seem to realise that they are putting their own and their families' health at risk by interacting with them, not to mention the dozens or even hundreds of people who come into the shop.
    Personally, I don't have any difficulty in pointing out if if someone is not wearing a mask, too many people in Ireland think that legislation is written for the other guy.

Probably afraid of the individuals kicking off or taking the business to court on discrimination charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Covid19

As a sales rep, travelling across the West and North West, I am shocked at the large amount of people, largely older farmers, older tradesmen, young adult farmers/tradesmen and a good percentage of elderly women who will not wear a mask and make no apology for it.
    It would be an interesting statistic to see, especially now that we are beyond two weeks since the large demonstrations occurred in Dublin, if clusters of the virus have begun to be generated originating from those who attended such demonstrations. Theoretically, if what we are being told about masks is true, we should be seeing a rise in cases and even deaths around about now.
    I am all for wearing masks, and I have a reasonable understanding of the science behind virus transmission, but if there is not so much as a blip on the radar of cases over the next week or so, I would have to question the status of the virus and our responses. The same could be said for any country which has seen mass demonstrations. What are your thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Probably afraid of the individuals kicking off or taking the business to court on discrimination charges.

Which ground of discrimination would they be sued for?
    You can refuse admission as long as its not based on one of the grounds of discrimination.

Is the place or the individuals concerned, known for "kicking off" ?
    If so probably better to stay out of there anyway.

Is the place or the individuals concerned, known for "kicking off" ?
    If so probably better to stay out of there anyway.

The shop is just a regular Spar or Daybreak. Totally normal shop.

• Advertisement

timetogo1 wrote: »
    Which ground of discrimination would they be sued for?
    You can refuse admission as long as its not based on one of the grounds of discrimination.

Social anxiety is a disability recognised by the Equality Act. Becoming distressed when restricting breathing whether real or imagined in a large number of cases is a symptom of social anxiety, becoming too distressed to wear a mask is an exemption. So refusing someone could be considered discrimination on a disability. Now chances of that are slim, but that’s a reason that staff members are not taking the chance to challenge people. In reality, they don’t want to get in an argument.

Social anxiety is a disability recognised by the Equality Act. Becoming distressed when restricting breathing whether real or imagined in a large number of cases is a symptom of social anxiety, becoming too distressed to wear a mask is an exemption. So refusing someone could be considered discrimination on a disability. Now chances of that are slim, but that’s a reason that staff members are not taking the chance to challenge people. In reality, they don’t want to get in an argument.

Put up a sign quoting the legislation, no argument. The onus is on the person seeking dispensation from the legislation to prove eligibility.
    My own opinion is that shop owners and managers only see the bottom line and put pressure on their staff to cooperate. This is particularly true of the type of shop mentioned, many of which would be staffed by zero hour contract workers but, as I say, that's my opinion.

Yes: surgical
    Social anxiety can also be heightened for those who suffer with it and are compliant, but yet have to put up with other people in shops ignoring the mandatory mask rule or maintaining social distancing - another thing that is not being enforced well enough.

In my experience people with social anxiety try to maintain distance and minimise their interactions with other people. They're not going to go into a shop looking to draw attention to themselves by not wearing one, or arguing over wearing a mask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Out and about in Dublin city centre today and there is a noticeable decrease of mask wearing in shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Put up a sign quoting the legislation, no argument. The onus is on the person seeking dispensation from the legislation to prove eligibility.
    My own opinion is that shop owners and managers only see the bottom line and put pressure on their staff to cooperate. This is particularly true of the type of shop mentioned, many of which would be staffed by zero hour contract workers but, as I say, that's my opinion.
    A shop assistant or manager is not in a position to demand documentation proving a disability.

This whole exemption thing is the craziest thing ever but also as it’s a completely new we followed other countries. Charities and Care Orgsnisations are coming up with novel ideas for a person with an exemption to show that they require it without bringing too much attention on themselves. Hidden Illness charity have a sunflower lanyard for people with autism.

But no one ever really followed through what happens next. No other disability really has the potential to harm others or be harmed yourself. For instance pre Covid no mask requirements if a person is in a wheelchair and you let them in their not going to Be any harm to others or themselves. Now in Covid, with masks, if a person has a severe lung incapacity and is exempt from wearing a mask, now They go in and get coughed on, they could potentially die. Or if they had Covid, they could go round transmittting infection. Surely if masks weren’t able to be worn, they should be offered a shopping service drop and collect. Equality is not about everyone doing exactly the same thing, it’s about offering extra assistance or arrangements to ensure that they have access to the same goods and services as someone not falling under.

It’s crazy that legislation allows people most vulnerable opportunities to put themselves in grave danger.

• Advertisement

A shop assistant or manager is not in a position to demand documentation proving a disability.

Could you imagine some disbelieving shopkeepers proving disability like Michael Caine

https://youtu.be/14nilke-mtQ

Says who?

If you park in a disabled parking space they are so why not for other reasons?

Saying otherwise is just making excuses and pandering to the anti-mask brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Hand in Your Pants

Morans, so many morans everywhere, how dare they, idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭moonage

Absolute bull, anyone not wearing a mask should be fined unless they can prove with documented evidence that they are exempt.

In the legislation for public transport it is not stated that the passenger has to provide written documentation to back up their reasonable excuse.
    2) Before exercising a power under paragraph (1) in respect of a passenger, a relevant person shall give the passenger an opportunity to provide reasonable excuse and may request the passenger to provide such information as the relevant person considers necessary to determine whether or not the passenger has reasonable excuse.

The legislation for shops seems less stingent.
    4) A responsible person shall take reasonable steps to engage with persons entering or in the relevant premises to inform them of the requirements of paragraph (1) and to promote compliance with those requirements.

These mandatory face coverings regulations expire on the 5th October 2020. Hopefully they won't be renewed.

moonage wrote: »

These mandatory face coverings regulations expire on the 5th October 2020. Hopefully they won't be renewed.

To me “reasonable excuse” would need to be backed up by a letter from a doctor or similar otherwise it’s not “reasonable”.

Hopefully they will be strengthened when they are renewed. Why on earth would you not want these important regulations renewed?

By 5th of October we could be very lightly looking at a lot more strict regulations or even lockdown after the outbreaks and spread caused by reopening schools.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement