Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

fr336 wrote: »
    Well lads I got them and I can barely breathe in them. Couldn't go around a shop like this. Have I been conned or am I missing something with the ventilation bit?

Is the problem to breath in or breath out or both? (it is has to do with the valve I should only be an issue to breath out)

It should be a bit harder to breath and possibly slightly uncomfortable, but not to a point whereby you can't go out and walk around with them for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Yes: surgical
    Bob24 wrote: »
    Is the problem to breath in or breath out or both? (it is has to do with the valve I should only be an issue to breath out)

It should be a bit harder to breath and possibly slightly uncomfortable, but not to a point whereby you can't go out and walk around with them for an hour.

Can you take the ventilation bit out or something? It's got like a yellow card in it not sure what that is.

Can you take the ventilation bit out or something? It's got like a yellow card in it not sure what that is.

I haven't handled this particular model sorry. The valved ones I have don't have anything that can be taken out but it is a different brand.

Can you just take the valve off? Don't want to break it

Can you just take the valve off? Don't want to break it

I would be surprised if they were designed to do that. These are meant to be simple and single use masks, so the build is fairly simple.

• Advertisement

Well I got the silly yellow thing out no idea what it was for it was like a yellow piece of card. Still find it very uncomfortable to breath in, just hot air coming back at me. Maybe my anxiety. SIGH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Read the WHO & HSE guidelines on masks. Wearing one to the shops is a waste of a mask and money. They have no proven benefits unless you have the Virus or are nursing someone who has the virus.

Go sit outside a hospital and watch. You won't see doctors & nurses wearing masks coming out of work & on their journey home. They have been trained & they know masks are of no use in general use. They are a comfort thing for adults. Like a comfort blanket for a child. If you need an adults version of a blankey & don't mind looking stupid then go ahead and but them. Like surgical gloves they need to be replaced every 15 to 30 minutes so you will need to invest in a few dozen at a time

Why do they need to be replaced every 15 to 30 minutes if they don't do anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Yes: valved
    For the first time today I undertook a simple fit test exercise after putting on my homemade mask for my weekly shop.

Basically turning my head from side to side and up and down, making sure the mask won't start moving causing me to have to touch it whilst wearing it.

I found the collar on my jacket was causing my mask to move, removed jacket, adjusted mask, retested and can happily say I did not need to readjust for the duration of wearing.

I have to say the advantage of a homemade mask is that when making it you adapt it to your type of face, much snugger fit than previously worn surgical mask.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yes: other
    Bob24 wrote: »
    I would be surprised if they were designed to do that. These are meant to be simple and single use masks, so the build is fairly simple.
    That's what I would have thought too B. I have a half face respirator with PP3 filters, which is a higher filtration level again and with a much snugger fit(if I closed up the valves while wearing it it would be lights out forever in short order) and breathing is not particularly restrictive. Now I would do a marathon in it, but I didn't notice any difficulty with it. And I was a heavy smoker for years so my lungs are well fooked.

My left lung. Earlier.

lump-of-coal-for-christmas.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Two doctors gave different points of view on Sean O Rourke's Rte show just now(didn't catch their names). People might be able to find it on the player later.

One doctor basically said they are useful but because so many don't use them correctly they have the opposite effect.

The other Doctor advocates using them and says they are vital for people travelling because they infect others when getting on/off public transport. This doctor was interviewed by Maeve Sheahan in the Sunday Indo.

Dr Bill Tormey was pro mask.

I think it was Dr Jack Lambert (infectious diseases consultant) who was against.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

OhHiMark wrote: »
    Why do they need to be replaced every 15 to 30 minutes if they don't do anything?

I bet dollars to doughnuts if the HSE received a shipment of 100 million masks in the morning they wouldn't be long changing their tune on the advice they give.

Just wore mask out for first time. It may not protect 100%, I maybe could do more to protect myself in general but wow it's such a relief just to be doing something. I'm doing all I can manage. If the worst happens, well life is always a gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Well I got the silly yellow thing out no idea what it was for it was like a yellow piece of card. Still find it very uncomfortable to breath in, just hot air coming back at me. Maybe my anxiety. SIGH

The silly yellow thing if they are like mine is actually the exhaust valve and if that does not seal on inhalation your mask is now useless. I suspect if you are finding it hard to breath you might have been sold a Lemmon, it could have been used for plastering or wood work and is now blocked with previous use. Breathing resistance should be at worst with the FFP2 under 6% of normal breathing.

krissovo wrote: »
    The silly yellow thing if they are like mine is actually the exhaust valve and if that does not seal on inhalation your mask is now useless. I suspect if you are finding it hard to breath you might have been sold a Lemmon, it could have been used for plastering or wood work and is now blocked with previous use. Breathing resistance should be at worst with the FFP2 under 6% of normal breathing.

Well if that's the case I just give up. Nowhere reliable is selling to the public due to shortages so you can't go anywhere apart from random sellers on eBay or Amazon. Stuff corona if I get it I get it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Well if that's the case I just give up. Nowhere reliable is selling to the public due to shortages so you can't go anywhere apart from random sellers on eBay or Amazon. Stuff corona if I get it I get it

The yellow thing sounds like the valve alright.. but if you took it out it should be really easy to breathe :confused: .. can you post up a pic? That's what the valve looks like on an old ffp3 of mine, its a yellow piece of hard plastic that flaps open when you breathe on it

The yellow thing sounds like the valve alright.. but if you took it out it should be really easy to breathe :confused: .. can you post up a pic? That's what the valve looks like on an old ffp3 of mine, its a yellow piece of hard plastic that flaps open when you breathe on it

Yep that's it. I've screwed up. Wondering about just putting some paper with blue tac over it?

Yep that's it. I've screwed up. Wondering about just putting some paper with blue tac over it?

If the mask appears to be a snug fit to your face it's a good starting point.

If your going down the route of modifying and have a few filter options you could try preforming a Qualitative fit test to inform you which seal works most effectively. You just need a bitter or sweet aersol can, it's a basic tasting exercise.

Certainly be an informitive experience, i'd say lining the lungs with a glass of water ahead of time would be sound advice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Do you still have the yellow bit? Try reattaching it with a very small, thin amount of glue only at the top quadrant, or putting it back in maybe with some needlenose pliers or tweezers. And you need to do it in such a way that the card is sitting tight completely over the hole and angled so the bottom end is further out.. it should automatically line up like this if you have it sitting right (as viewed from outside the mask).

You want it so that it sits fully closed normally, so when you breath in it is only getting tighter on itself, but when you breath out the lowest part of the card can flap outwards

If you want some more picture to see what it should look like I can send them to you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

I really don't see the problem the OP has with people wearing masks.

Back in January I bought 10 N95 mask and 100 surgical masks. When I go out to the shop I put on a onsie with goggles, an N95 covered with a surgical mask.

My wife if pregnant and the last thing we need right now is to get sick with this illness.

The facts are that you are 5x less likely to contract the virus using a mask.

Sorry more people didn't jump on the band wagon when the Chinese were buying every mask in the world, but don't be sour because some people did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

No: I don't care enough
    Hi all, this may be an option for some to consider-https://www.virustaticshield.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I bought some masks today for an elderly family member. Tried multiple pharmacies and they were they only ones with any and they had a few boxes. They weren't FFP2/3 grade but bought some anyway. The pharmacy was the one beside Starbucks on O'Connell St.

About an hour ago I found an FFP3 mask in a drawer. It's been there years but never really paid much attention to it. Bought it when I was staining a door and just never bothered with it as the tin said the woodstain was very low voc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Hi all, this may be an option for some to consider-https://www.virustaticshield.com/
    https://www.virustaticshield.com/Made the link active for you W. Looks like an interesting idea, where instead of going for filtration the fabric is coated with an antiviral substance which they claim deactivates the virus. I notice the coating only lasts three hand washes, so that's a limitation, but still. Getting one may be an issue. I'd say they're flying off the shelves. Personally I'd be looking at looking at any of the well thought out homemade and washable ideas out there that can be made with few materials and tools or skill. Anything that reduces the amount of snotters you may cough out, and reduces the amount you may breath in.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

The US CDC are recommending the use of simple cotton masks. This is a design incorporating three layers which I figure could be also sewn by hand if people don't have a sewing machine. For the outside layers I've used an old 100% cotton denim shirt and for the inside layer denser 100% cotton pyjama material. It is washable and re-usable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FB--BOyTiU

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

CDC have recommended masks. A complete u-turn. Expect Europe and especially the HSE manager clowns to make a u-turn too.
    CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies), especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.

CDC also advises the use of simple cloth face coverings to slow the spread of the virus and help people who may have the virus and do not know it from transmitting it to others.  Cloth face coverings fashioned from household items or made at home from common materials at low cost can be used as an additional, voluntary public health measure.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html

It was obvious and I'm happy that pragmatic policy wins.

Any naysayers would like to comment?

It took them long enough, though I'd bet until the WHO follow suit our dithering fools in the HSE won't jump just yet.

McGiver wrote:
    CDC have recommended masks. A complete u-turn. Expect Europe and especially the HSE manager clowns to make a u-turn too.
    Also they say this:
    CDC continues to study the spread and effects of the novel coronavirus across the United States. We now know from recent studies that a significant portion of individuals with coronavirus lack symptoms (asymptomatic) and that even those who eventually develop symptoms (pre-symptomatic) can transmit the virus to others before showing symptoms. This means that the virus can spread between people interacting in close proximity for example, speaking, coughing, or sneezing even if those people are not exhibiting symptoms. In light of this new evidence, CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.

Wibbs wrote:
    It took them long enough, though I'd bet until the WHO follow suit our dithering fools in the HSE won't jump just yet.

10k dead in the US!

McGiver wrote:
    10k dead in the US!
    So basically it took 10k dead for them to recommend something Asian and some European experts been saying from day one. Even if the masks reduce infection by 10% that could be thousands people saved in the US in the final numbers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

McGiver wrote: »
    So basically it took 10k dead for them to recommend something Asian and some European experts been saying from day one. Even if the masks reduce infection by 10% that could be thousands people saved in the US in the final numbers...

these are the same experts who sat on thier hands since january

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement