Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ah arbitrator of what is correct, you are now over-ruling the HSPC who have the current, up to date, do's and dont's of mask wearing on their website?? What are your qualifications?? :rolleyes:

I see you have stopped inventing quotes from experts to justify this ridiculous line of argument... which leaves you with...nothing at all to back up what you say.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

No: I will wait for the HSE to recommend
    odyssey06 wrote: »
    I see you have stopped inventing quotes from experts to justify this ridiculous line of argument... which leaves you with...nothing at all to back up what you say.

Please share these qualifications that make you more of an expert in mask wearing than the Health Protection Surveillance Centre. I'm sure they are from all the top colleges. Or does the arbitrator get his knowledge from a higher power??

Please share these qualifications that make you more of an expert in mask wearing than the Health Protection Surveillance Centre. I'm sure they are from all the top colleges. Or does the arbitrator get his knowledge from a higher power??

I have to share no such thing to call you out on inventing and fabricating quotes by experts to support your argument.
    The HSPC do not say what you are attributing to them re: the effectiveness of masks at containing droplets.
    Nor did Dr Carl Heneghan.
    Your argument is a tissue of lies.

If you want an argument from authority - all those people from 'top colleges' in the CDC, NPHET, ECDC are saying you should be wearing a mask.

You are recommended by those experts to wear a mask.
    Are you doing so?

I have to share no such thing to call you out on inventing and fabricating quotes by experts to support your argument.
    The HSPC do not say what you are attributing to them re: the effectiveness of masks at containing droplets.
    Nor did Dr Carl Heneghan.
    Your argument is a tissue of lies.

If you want an argument from authority - all those people from 'top colleges' in the CDC, NPHET, ECDC are saying you should be wearing a mask.

You are recommended by those experts to wear a mask.
    Are you doing so?

Are you washing your mask at 60 degrees daily?? :rolleyes:

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/face-masks-disposable-gloves.html
    How to wash one
    Wash daily in a hot wash over 60 degrees with detergent.

If using a washing machine, you should be able to wash and machine dry it without damage or change to shape.

You do not need to sterilise face coverings. Wash it in a washing machine or by hand as you would any other item of clothing.

Wash hands before and after use.

Are you thinking about masks as PPE for the wearer and or about something to protect others?
    The advice given early about masks and touching was framed re: masks as PPE for the wearer and when it was thought the virus spread primarily by contact \ surfaces.

If they are covering their mouths and noses with the mask, they are using it correctly for its primary purpose.

You can sanitise your hands if you touch a contaminated surface.
    You can't sanitise your lungs if you have inhaled infected droplets.

If they aren't following mask discipline, do we really think they are being perfect at hand sanitising, not touching objects in their pocket, tissues, keys, their phone etc?
    And of course, people should follow mask discipline and hand sanitising discipline.

Seems the HSPC disagrees with you. Imagine that, oh arbitrator!! :rolleyes:

How to use a face covering properly

DO
    Clean your hands properly before you put it on.
    Carry unused face coverings in a sealable clean waterproof bag, for example, a ziplock.
    Carry a second similar type bag to put used face coverings in.

Don't
    Do not touch a face covering while wearing it - if you do, clean your hands properly.
    Do not use a wet or soiled face covering.
    Do not lower your face coverings to speak, eat and smoke or vape - if you need to uncover your nose or mouth take the face covering off and put it in a bag for used face coverings.

• Advertisement

Don't the HSPC disagree with you, as you refuse to wear a mask?

Your arguments have no credibility since your lies have been found out.
    You can't even find fake quotes to attribute to an expert in support of your position.

You are now reduced to spamming the thread with cut+paste jobs from a website with no attempt at an argument.

Don't the HSPC disagree with you, as you refuse to wear a mask?

Your arguments have no credibility since your lies have been found out.
    You can't even find fake quotes to attribute to an expert in support of your position.

You are now reduced to spamming the thread with cut+paste jobs from a website with no attempt at an argument.

You've stated that touching the mask etc is grand. I've argued, using sources, that it's not grand. Just because you can't win it, doesn't make it any less of an argument. :D

Guess the HSPC disagree with both of us, it's just that I'm not a hypocrite.

edit: Oh look, the CDC say the same thing.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-to-wear-cloth-face-coverings.html

Don’t put the mask around your neck or up on your forehead
    Don’t touch the mask, and, if you do, wash your hands or use hand sanitizer to disinfect​.

DO
    Carry unused face coverings in a sealable clean waterproof bag, for example, a ziplock.

Don't
    Do not touch a face covering while wearing it - if you do, clean your hands properly.
    Do not lower your face coverings to speak, eat and smoke or vape - if you need to uncover your nose or mouth take the face covering off and put it in a bag for used face coverings.

Like who even does this? I bet a tiny proportion of us. I just wear mine on my arm all day, and put on and off when needed. And it’s not just that we are bad at it here. Was in Rome recently, where mask wearing is 100%, and practically everyone is pulling their mask up and down, sticking it in their handbag, or wearing it on their arm

You've stated that touching the mask etc is grand. I've argued, using sources, that it's not grand. Just because you can't win it, doesn't make it any less of an argument. :D

I didn't state that.

Another lie... you can win any argument you want if you believe your own lies.
    Just like the lie you made up about Dr Carl Heneghan.

I said that touching the mask means they still function to contain droplets, which is why you are being asked to wear them.
    Just like the first time you raised this canard on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Yes: homemade
    Are you washing your mask at 60 degrees daily?? :rolleyes:

Are you?

I wash mine to protect me and wear it to protect others. Even those not following the full protocols are protecting others, to some degree, when wearing the face covering.

How do you wash a mask you refuse to wear anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No: I don't care enough
    Don’t put the mask around your neck or up on your forehead
    Don’t touch the mask, and, if you do, wash your hands or use hand sanitizer to disinfect​.

Outside of clinical settings, what are they suggesting it is to protect yourself from by not touching your own mask? Or not putting it in your pocket? Or washing it at above 60degrees? Or not wearing it around your chin?

Not scratching your nose is presumably protect you from snot'itis. Not putting it in your pocket is to prevent pocket fluff'itis and presumably not wearing it around your chin is to prevent some kind of beard rash'itis.

Those are all just general "how to keep your mask clean and in good condition tips". They are absolutely nothing to do with catching coronovirus if you happen to not do them exactly as stated when using your mask.

If you work in a hospital then it's entirely different as there the main risk is from outside sources infecting you. The rest of us it is all about us not infecting someone else, and the main thing there is to reduce how much breathing you do on other people, which is significantly reduced by wearing a mask...and it doesn't matter in the slightest if I scratched my nose or not in how effective the mask is at reducing that spread of droplets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Yes: valved
    Like who even does this? I bet a tiny proportion of us. I just wear mine on my arm all day, and put on and off when needed. And it’s not just that we are bad at it here. Was in Rome recently, where mask wearing is 100%, and practically everyone is pulling their mask up and down, sticking it in their handbag, or wearing it on their arm

I do all this. It's common sense really. Hand washing and sanitising before and after touching mask. Store clean mask in a plastic bag to avoid other objects in your handbag contaminating your clean mask. Store used mask in another plastic bag to avoid contaminating things in your handbag.

I do all this. It's common sense really. Hand washing and sanitising before and after touching mask. Store clean mask in a plastic bag to avoid other objects in your handbag contaminating your clean mask. Store used mask in another plastic bag to avoid contaminating things in your handbag.

Fair play to you. I would suggest that you are in a very small minority. From a personal health perspective COVID does not concern me, and I wont be making any meaningful effort maintain that level of mask discipline

It’s not that I don’t understand the recommendations, or the reasons for them. I just don’t really care. Wearing a mask is just the price I have to pay to go into the store, and make those around me more comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

For people who refuse to wear a mask, do you prefer following Jim Coors advice or DJ Spiral's advice?

robinph wrote: »
    Outside of clinical settings, what are they suggesting it is to protect yourself from by not touching your own mask? Or not putting it in your pocket? Or washing it at above 60degrees? Or not wearing it around your chin?

Not scratching your nose is presumably protect you from snot'itis. Not putting it in your pocket is to prevent pocket fluff'itis and presumably not wearing it around your chin is to prevent some kind of beard rash'itis.

Those are all just general "how to keep your mask clean and in good condition tips". They are absolutely nothing to do with catching coronovirus if you happen to not do them exactly as stated when using your mask.

If you work in a hospital then it's entirely different as there the main risk is from outside sources infecting you. The rest of us it is all about us not infecting someone else, and the main thing there is to reduce how much breathing you do on other people, which is significantly reduced by wearing a mask...and it doesn't matter in the slightest if I scratched my nose or not in how effective the mask is at reducing that spread of droplets.

Wrong. Read the link. It specifically refers to cloth masks worn by members of the public. The mask zealots do not like their hypocrisy being shown up.

First to whinge at people that they HAVE to wear masks because the HSE, HSPC, CDC etc say so.

Then palm off HSE, HSPC and CDC do’s and don’ts that they themselves can’t be arsed adhering to as not mattering.

The hypocrisy is laughable. Are the HSE, HSPC, CDC etc releasing these do’s and don’ts for the craic?? Sitting in their labs going, we should make everyone mask up, and then set up a list of do’s and don’ts that don’t matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yes: surgical

DO

Don't

I don’t see anything here that says don’t wear a mask?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The 'logic' appears to be along the same lines as:

"I don't wear a condom because it might break"

"I don't believe in fire extinguishers because they might not work"

Of course it makes absolutely no sense but when you've exhausted any rational argument it's about all you have left other than making up childish labels for those with opposing viewpoints.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

MadYaker wrote: »

I don't see anything that says I'll catch coronavirus from scratching my nose either, or if my under 13 year old wears a mask despite it saying they don't need to that it will result in me catching it. :D
    Wrong. Read the link.

You'll have to point out the quotes about catching the virus from scratching my nose as nobody else is seeing it.

MadYaker wrote: »

Why would you expect it to say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

face shields surely are more comfortable to wear and offer the same protection as masks.

• Advertisement

jonnny68 wrote: »
    face shields surely are more comfortable to wear and offer the same protection as masks.

no they dont

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

face shields offer the same protection as masks.

You would think that, but most evidence is to the contrary

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-face-shield-mask-prevent-spread/
    Plastic face shields are likely not as effective in preventing the spread of the coronavirus as cloth face masks, experts believe.

joeguevara wrote: »
    no they dont

thats debateable as many say they are, id feel more comfortable in one anyway.

You would think that, but most evidence is to the contrary

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-face-shield-mask-prevent-spread/

as i menioned in my other posts it's debateable, some think they arent whereas some think they are, i feel more comfortable wering one anyway!!

Definitely feel more comfortable in one.

But the protection they offer versus masks is not debatable. Its due to the transmission being in droplet and aerosol format.

If a cough is minimal distance from the person it will offer very good protection. If a cough is from a distance away it wont. (think its 68%)

According to the CDC: If face shields are used without a mask, they should wrap around the sides of the wearer’s face and extend to below the chin.
    If your shield doesn't do that, it doesn't offer the same protection as a mask.

If it's so debateable, provide your source for the claim.

At the moment, it's a very dubious claim.

According to the CDC: If face shields are used without a mask, they should wrap around the sides of the wearer’s face and extend to below the chin.
    If your shield doesn't do that, it doesn't offer the same protection as a mask.

If it's so debateable, provide your source for the claim.

At the moment, it's a very dubious claim.

Strange that this, from the CDC, matters, while other guidelines don't :rolleyes:

Strange that this, from the CDC, matters, while other guidelines don't :rolleyes:

You do know the pointlessness of your argument if none of the guidelines from them matter to you.

exactly whatever suits the user i suppose :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭moonage

Masks aren't mandatory in post offices, yet they have signs up saying to wear a mask.

These signs should be taken down. They should instead put up "masks not necessary" signs if they want.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement