Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

Yes: to protect others
    Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    We need a major advertising campaign calling out improper wearing and handling of masks. It can't be that hard to put together.

I've a feeling most of these people were wearing them reluctantly. It's more like how teenagers deliberately wear their school uniforms wrong to defy authority. Or that they hate wearing the masks so much,they are making them more comfortable by pulling them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

No: other
    Tork wrote: »
    Far more people wearing masks badly now. Under the nose is the most common one, followed by masks worn very loosely and barely covering the lower part of the face.
    is_that_so wrote: »
    Restricions were never to eliminate it - the aim was always to hit a low manageable level of the disease.

Restrictions were not simply about keeping it manageable although that was and is important also. Restrictions were to stop people getting sick...The impact that has personally, on their families and loved and indeed health services, you are right.

As regards the masks issue, you see a lot of people with them under their chins and just forgetting to pull them up... land of saints and scholars hmmmmmm sure.. land of selfish and thick fûckwits if covid is anything to go by.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Yes: valved
    There's a very good video here about masks. By wearing a mask, it reduces the viral load so that someone doesn't get it as bad. Isn't this what we want? Not to make someone so sick as to put them on a ventilator.

https://zdoggmd.com/face-masks/?fbclid=IwAR2a5xiKirJJQJ_X_PeddPr7w-kVAnqoGPl6S_D927DlFgwf85_4a30CQIo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

Yes: to protect others
    I don't think these people give a flying fcuk to be honest. It wouldn't surprise me if they're also the ones who don't bother with the other regulations. They're for other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Tork wrote: »
    Far more people wearing masks badly now. Under the nose is the most common one, followed by masks worn very loosely and barely covering the lower part of the face.

Genuine question. If the idea of the mask is to protect others from you, if someone doesn't wear it over their nose and they don't sneeze, is there much risk of them spreading it?

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Genuine question. If the idea of the mask is to protect others from you, if someone doesn't wear it over their nose and they don't sneeze, is there much risk of them spreading it?

Breathing out through the nose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

No: I will wait for the HSE to recommend
    AMKC wrote: »
    What a selfish idiot. Sounds like he totally miss understood what the mask was for. I would have asked him for his number and then ring him a week later saying you are going to sue him for being a selfish fi,cker. That might make him think twice lol. I sneezed once while wearing one. Not fun but I did not think I know maybe If I take my mask off I might sneeze better because I was in a shop and not a selfish person. I did however throw that mask in the bin first change I got. I change my masks regularly.

Jesus, hahaha. This is the most ludicrous post I’ve ever seen on boards. Ever. Hahahaha. I’m quite hungover but this has cheered me up no end. Hahahahaha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Left a job because of the lack of face masks. Starting another with face masks. Am I allowed to say something if people aren't wearing their masks properly? My role isn't as a mask police officer.

Not really a good way to start off a new job is it? Lecturing people on how to wear masks.

anti-maskers.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I dont know what people still go on about in this thread.

I think masks are nonsense in settings where it's been very clear throughout the pandemic that there was no problem to begin with. That makes me an 'anti masker' or a 'covidiot' even for the more militant (and quite frankly more stupid) brigade.

But I also wear one where required whether I think its nonsense or not. Cos I'm a law abiding citizen.
    And I think most people who think 'anti mask' are the same. I dont see anyone not wearing one in the supermarket these days.

So whats the issue now? People aren't wearing them properly? Taking them off immediately after leaving the shop? Fiddling with them? Wearing old sweaty ones? Sticking them into their pockets? Not really buying in?

Well I hate to break it to you (well actually I dont) but thats why we were told months ago that this won't work. Because people are either too stupid or simply not bothered enough to wear them properly. Surprise surprise this appears to be true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So whats the issue now? People aren't wearing them properly? Taking them off immediately after leaving the shop? Fiddling with them? Wearing old sweaty ones? Sticking them into their pockets? Not really buying in?
    Well I hate to break it to you (well actually I dont) but thats why we were told months ago that this won't work. Because people are either too stupid or simply not bothered enough to wear them properly. Surprise surprise this appears to be true.

No. Months ago it was about masks as PPE. Months ago we didn't have the information about asymptomatic transmission, and relative risk of droplets versus contact.
    Everything that was said about masks months ago if you are wearing them as PPE when dealing with an infected or suspect patient still stands. They won't work for that purpose if you are not absolutely scrupulous and disciplined in their use. Plus you need to be wearing a medical grade mask really.

But that's not why you are being asked to wear them in shops and public transport.
    That's a much more basic requirement - the mask needs to cover nose and mouth to contain your own droplets.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Thats not really answering my question though. You're just reiterating the mask yadeedaa.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

I think masks are nonsense in settings where it's been very clear throughout the pandemic that there was no problem to begin with. That makes me an 'anti masker' or a 'covidiot' even for the more militant (and quite frankly more stupid) brigade.

Because of posts like this, in a nutshell ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

odyssey06 wrote: »
    But that's not why you are being asked to wear them in shops and public transport.
    That's a much more basic requirement - the mask needs to cover nose and mouth to contain your own droplets.

99% of people are wearing masks because of the regulations and to protect themselves. Let’s be honest, almost no one wears masks to protect others. That’s the reason for the poor mask wearing technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

But I also wear one where required whether I think its nonsense or not. Cos I'm a law abiding citizen.
    And I think most people who think 'anti mask' are the same. I dont see anyone not wearing one in the supermarket these days.

This thread is alive and well because people keep stating opinion as fact, like you have in the bolded text above. If people keep making stuff up they will get called on it.

RoYoBo wrote: »
    Because of posts like this, in a nutshell ...

Well you got my compliance (which you chose not to quote for some reason) isn't that enough? Convincing me will be much more difficult I'm afraid.

Sconsey wrote: »
    This thread is alive and well because people keep stating opinion as fact, like you have in the bolded text above. If people keep making stuff up they will get called on it.

Well sadly its the other way around but you're just too blinded to see that.

But thats not what I'm on about. What I'm on about is that out there I see basically near 100% compliance. Just asking what the problem is now?

Well sadly its the other way around but you're just too blinded to see that.

But thats not what I'm on about. What I'm on about is that out there I see basically near 100% compliance. Just asking what the problem is now?

You need to wear the mask harder

jackboy wrote: »
    99% of people are wearing masks because of the regulations and to protect themselves. Let’s be honest, almost no one wears masks to protect others. That’s the reason for the poor mask wearing technique.

I wear a mask to protect others.

I wrote about my job and no mask wearing. Since there's no mask wearing, I'm at an increased risk of catching this. I don't want to be responsible for infecting my housemates. I've been wearing a mask around my home to protect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Yes: homemade

I wrote about my job and no mask wearing. Since there's no mask wearing, I'm at an increased risk of catching this. I don't want to be responsible for infecting my housemates. I've been wearing a mask around my home to protect them.

Not being smart but I've heard of an increased risk of complications and adverse outcomes but not an increased risk of catching it. What's that about?

• Advertisement

Not being smart but I've heard of an increased risk of complications and adverse outcomes but not an increased risk of catching it. What's that about?

If I'm in a room with 50 people and only 5 of those wears a mask. If one person is infected and pass it on to another person or two or three (there's little distancing between staff). Would that not put me at an increased risk of catching it? The more people without masks, makes sense to me. So that's why I wear a mask in my home, so that I can maybe prevent passing it on myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

No: I don't care enough

Only the idiots.

Most people realise the mask is to contain your own droplets.

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Only the idiots.

That why so many don’t wear it properly. They don’t care and are wearing them because they have to.

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Only the idiots.

^^^ This and to contribute to the culture of mask wearing, which is a culture of safety, selflessness and valuing the lives of everybody.

Nobody feels comfortable in a mask, nobody thinks ‘jeez this is a hot look’... I just think and so do the majority... ‘jeez, this is a shîtstorm of virus, if wearing a bit of fûcking cloth over my face keeps us all safe or safer from illness, a close shave with death or actual death... I’m wearing one.’

That why so many don’t wear it properly. They don’t care and are wearing them because they have to.

So you keep saying. Have you always had psychic ability. I know people wearing them improperly simply because they didn't understand how to do so correctly. I've explained to elderly neighbours who were wearing them wrong and now they have it perfect.

Don't assume or project just to meet your own slant on masks.

So you keep saying. Have you always had psychic ability. I know people wearing them improperly simply because they didn't understand how to do so correctly. I've explained to elderly neighbours who were wearing them wrong and now they have it perfect.

Don't assume or project just to meet your own slant on masks.

It always comes back to personal insults.

It always comes back to personal insults.

Always? You're unfortunate.

There was no personal insult there whatsoever but feel free to report it if you think there was.

Always? You're unfortunate.

There was no personal insult there whatsoever but feel free to report it if you think there was.

I have never reported a post and never would.

And by the way, when masks became compulsory, we went from most people not wearing them to most people wearing them. People are not wearing them for the benefit of others, there is no doubt about that.

Great that you showed some elderly people how to wear them but most people wearing them incorrectly are not elderly and do know how to wear them.

You wear a mask at home? Username checks out.

• Advertisement

bush wrote: »
    You wear a mask at home? Username checks out.

What's wrong with not infecting others?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement