Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masks

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No: I don't care enough
    bush wrote: »
    You wear a mask at home? Username checks out.
    Attack the post, not the poster

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

anyone know folks doing personalised masks (i.e. with a logo on ) and got pricing ? Appreciate it. Ballpark price per 10 or 50 ? need to get a team sorted out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭ronano

Yes: homemade
    What's the advice for wearing mask under your chin when outside? I put it on in any internal setting or just general crowded public setting. It's an annoyance having to take it off put it back on every few mins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭ronano

What's the advice for wearing mask under your chin when outside? I put it on in any internal setting or just general crowded public setting. It's an annoyance having to take it off put it back on every few mins

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://trendswide.com/people-who-wont-wear-face-masks-are-more-likely-to-be-sociopaths-study-claims/

"People who won’t wear face masks are more likely to be sociopaths, study claims."

No surprise there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/0831/1162379-europe-covid-cases/

Sweden - the only normal country in Europe or maybe even in the world. When will rest of the world understand that masks are useless in most cases??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

No: I will wait for the HSE to recommend
    kris_2021 wrote: »

Sweden - the only normal country in Europe or maybe even in the world. When will rest of the world understand that masks are useless in most cases??

State epidemiologist Anders Tegnell of the Public Health Agency insists scientific studies have not proven that masks are effective in limiting the spread of the virus, suggesting they can do more harm than good if used sloppily.

"There are at least three heavyweight reports - from the World Health Organization, the ECDC and The Lancet report that the WHO cites - which all state that the scientific evidence is weak. We haven't carried out our own assessment," he recently told reporters.

Has no one shown him the picture that’s constantly posted here showing “droplets”!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

kris_2021 wrote: »

I thought there already was a thread for Sweden and their huge death rate...
    The death rate is bad beside ours and even worse v early mask adopting countries.
    So I am not giving them the benefit of the doubt on masks... though at least they seem to be considering masks on public transport.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

State epidemiologist Anders Tegnell of the Public Health Agency insists scientific studies have not proven that masks are effective in limiting the spread of the virus, suggesting they can do more harm than good if used sloppily.

"There are at least three heavyweight reports - from the World Health Organization, the ECDC and The Lancet report that the WHO cites - which all state that the scientific evidence is weak. We haven't carried out our own assessment," he recently told reporters.

Has no one shown him the picture that’s constantly posted here showing “droplets”!!!

Because they use their brains instead of repeated nonsense. See Spain, Italy and even Ireland now. Sweden is doing much better than most Europe countries now and enjoying almost normal life.

How would they categorise the evidence for handwashing or social distancing... given its not possible to conduct RCTs some experts would class anything less than that as weak.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Yes: valved
    Saw a young one in a shop today, mask around her chin and coughing away into her fist. Surely a fist won't hold in all those droplets. Idiot b!tch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

ronano wrote: »

Dr. Glynn this evening
    "We're seeing far too many people walking around with [face coverings] under their chin. We're seeing many people wearing them, but with their nose exposed." Acting Chief Medical Officer Dr
    @ronan_glynn
    urges people to make sure they're wearing face coverings correctly. #Covid19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Dr. Glynn this evening

If they’re outside, what odds does it make if people are wearing them under their chins, or leaving their noses exposed?

Once they enter an enclosed space, fix their mask, and either use the hand sanitizer provided or their own supply, then what harm? Or, they’ve already done their shopping and are going back to their car to drive home where they won’t come into contact with anyone or anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Spiderman0081

Saw a young one in a shop today, mask around her chin and coughing away into her fist. Surely a fist won't hold in all those droplets. Idiot b!tch.
    https://trendswide.com/people-who-wont-wear-face-masks-are-more-likely-to-be-sociopaths-study-claims/

"People who won’t wear face masks are more likely to be sociopaths, study claims."

No surprise there.

Omg this is fantastic. One mask wearer calling a young one an “idiot b!tch” while a fellow mask wearer links an article about non mask wearers being sociopaths. I mean, WOW

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I thought there already was a thread for Sweden and their huge death rate...
    The death rate is bad beside ours and even worse v early mask adopting countries.
    So I am not giving them the benefit of the doubt on masks... though at least they seem to be considering masks on public transport.

“huge”
    That’s a scary number.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It's time to admit the Irish Gov blew this out of all proportion. New CDC figures show that 94% of the 153,504 people who died "from" cv-19 in the States had 2-3 serious underlying conditions, the remaining 6% were mostly of advanced age.

It's time to end the nonsense and stop pretending.

I'm sure the stats are the same here, well the numbers they didn't get caught diddling.

In before tinfoil hat/right winger insults.

If you don't believe the stats you can all trot off to the CDC website and check them out for yourselves. A look at a proper website with actual facts and figures might do you the world of good compared to watching the lies on RTE.

“huge”
    That’s a scary number.

5805 dead, or 574 per million. 9th highest worldwide.

Is that less scary?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Lol.

Incredible. You're falling for it.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    5805 dead, or 574 per million. 9th highest worldwide.

Is that less scary?

On an average week, covid aside, 1500 people die in Sweden.
    Between 4000 and 6000 people die of sepsis every year in Sweden.
    2017-2018 there were over 1100 flu deaths.
    2000-3000 people die on average every year from pneumonia, a complication onset by the flu.

Are you now terrified or do these deaths not seem as scary because their not the covid monster?

On an average week, covid aside, 1500 people die in Sweden.
    Between 4000 and 6000 people die of sepsis every year in Sweden.
    2017-2018 there were over 1100 flu deaths.
    2000-3000 people die on average every year from pneumonia, a complication onset by the flu.

Are you now terrified or do these deaths not seem as scary because their not the covid monster?

I'm not terrified at all, least of all by Covid deaths in Sweden. Relax.

• Advertisement

It's time to admit the Irish Gov blew this out of all proportion. New CDC figures show that 94% of the 153,504 people who died "from" cv-19 in the States had 2-3 serious underlying conditions, the remaining 6% were mostly of advanced age.

I'm sure the stats are the same here, well the numbers they didn't get caught diddling.

If you don't believe the stats you can all trot off to the CDC website and check them out for yourselves. A look at a proper website with actual facts and figures might do you the world of good compared to watching the lies on RTE.

So people with health conditions don't matter to you?

The top comorbidity listed was pneumonia.
    What is one of the causes of pneumonia?
    Covid19.
    They died from covid19.

What percentage of the irish population has one of the comorbidities or are of advanced age?
    They are not expendable.
    They have years to decades of life if they can avoid covid19.

So wear a mask.
    You could be infected and not know it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Yes: surgical
    Lol.

Incredible. You're falling for it.

Falling for what? Oh right the big bad government/corporations/the Illuminati with their evil plans for world domination? You must be going through your stock of tinfoil hats at a fair rate of knots. You might think you`re clever spouting all your BS while in reality you are just displaying how much of an absolute fcuking idiot you actually are.

Falling for what? Oh right the big bad government/corporations/the Illuminati with their evil plans for world domination? You must be going through your stock of tinfoil hats at a fair rate of knots. You might think you`re clever with all this BS while in reality you are just displaying how much of an absolute fcuking idiot you actually are.
    Try saying “tinfoil hats” five times fast. It sounds like tinfoil hats

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Try saying “tinfoil hats” five times fast. It sounds like tinfoil hats

You should know all about wearing masks, Spidey boy.

Masked hamsters were less likely to get the virus and also got a milder dose if infected. Unfortunately there are no pictures of hamsters wearing masks as the air tube was masked, not the individual hamster.

Masked hamsters were less likely to get the virus and also got a milder dose if infected. Unfortunately there are no pictures of hamsters wearing masks as the air tube was masked, not the individual hamster.

Imagine wearing a mask and getting a milder dose... Would anti-vaxxers be happy, like a vaccine without the harmful effects?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Omg this is fantastic. One mask wearer calling a young one an “idiot b!tch” while a fellow mask wearer links an article about non mask wearers being sociopaths. I mean, WOW

Glad you enjoyed it. Pity there's no study here, there's a few possible sociopaths on this thread that could take part.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I found it hard on the journey down to Cork and back to Galway on Citylink wearing the mask, by the time I got to each destination the itch was real bad so I can't imagine what its like for staff in retail working the full day, especially if you have stubble or even wearing glasses, fair play to ya's for doing it.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I disagree with your interpretation of those statistics.

6% represents where Covid was mentioned as the ONLY cause of death.

That doesn't mean that Covid played no role in the remaining 94%, far from it.

Firstly, It was listed as a contributing factor in ALL deaths, which shouldn't be underplayed or forgotten.

Secondly, If you look through the list of attributed comorbidities a huge proportion of them are medical conditions that are well known associated symptoms of Covid: Pneumonia, respiratory failure, respiratory arrest etc, etc.

You would expect to see this. Covid doesn't just kill people by itself, it's what it does to the body - it causes pneumonia, it causes respiratory failure, heart failure, renal failure. These will be listed on most death certificates as comorbidities.

That doesn't mean that 94% of those people had serious prior underlying conditions. Obviously some did, but a lot of those comorbidities are textbook examples of symptoms of Covid.

An example would be - If you get Covid and covid gives you pneumonia and that pneumonia then causes respiratory failure, which in turn causes a cardiac arrest then all of those factors can be listed as comorbidities - but the only reason you suffered from them in the first place is because you contracted Covid to begin with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement