Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

No: I will wait for the HSE to recommend
    Arghus wrote: »
    I disagree with your interpretation of those statistics.

6% represents where Covid was mentioned as the ONLY cause of death.

That doesn't mean that Covid played no role in the remaining 94%, far from it.

Firstly, It was listed as a contributing factor in ALL deaths, which shouldn't be underplayed or forgotten.

Secondly, If you look through the list of attributed comorbidities a huge proportion of them are medical conditions that are well known associated symptoms of Covid: Pneumonia, respiratory failure, respiratory arrest etc, etc.

You would expect to see this. Covid doesn't just kill people by itself, it's what it does to the body - it causes pneumonia, it causes respiratory failure, heart failure, renal failure. These will be listed on most death certificates as comorbidities.

That doesn't mean that 94% of those people had serious prior underlying conditions. Obviously some did, but a lot of those comorbidities are textbook examples of symptoms of Covid.

An example would be - If you get Covid and covid gives you pneumonia and that pneumonia then causes respiratory failure, which in turn causes a cardiac arrest then all of those factors can be listed as comorbidities - but the only reason you suffered from them in the first place is because you contracted Covid to begin with.

Flu or even common cold works the same way for people with other serious ilnesses. He most likely meant that perhaps we overestimate one while underestimate quite a couple of other viruses. We learned to live with most of them it is about time to realize that we should learn to live with this one.
    There will hardly be magic pill or jab for covid. Experience with other viruses and particularly with corona viruses shows it clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

No: I don't care enough
    patnor1011 wrote: »
    Flu or even common cold works the same way for people with other serious ilnesses. He most likely meant that perhaps we overestimate one while underestimate quite a couple of other viruses. We learned to live with most of them it is about time to realize that we should learn to live with this one.
    There will hardly be magic pill or jab for covid. Experience with other viruses and particularly with corona viruses shows it clearly.

AiDS/Cancer wont kill you directly. The comorbidities it allows run riot in your body will kill you.

Excess deaths is the only measure really and in most countries that shows we have been undercounting Covid deaths.

Live with what exactly?
    A disease that attacks the heart/kidney/testes/lungs silently each time? Asymptomatic cases also have heart danage?
    A disease you can get every year and each time its more severe?
    A disease that in 6 months has more than one strain and you can get each strain within the same 6 months?
    A disease that leaves long term implications we still dont understand, that scientists are still figuring out?

How can you even suggest we 'live' with it when we STILL dont even know what it fully does?
    Strokes, heart attacks, in young people months after what seemed like a mild flu?

When we know so little, why not err on the side of caution? Just one year, 6 more months would give science the tools so we can make more informed decisions. Why not wait for that?

Yes: valved
    It's time to admit the Irish Gov blew this out of all proportion. New CDC figures show that 94% of the 153,504 people who died "from" cv-19 in the States had 2-3 serious underlying conditions, the remaining 6% were mostly of advanced age.

It's time to end the nonsense and stop pretending.

I'm sure the stats are the same here, well the numbers they didn't get caught diddling.

In before tinfoil hat/right winger insults.

If you don't believe the stats you can all trot off to the CDC website and check them out for yourselves. A look at a proper website with actual facts and figures might do you the world of good compared to watching the lies on RTE.

You're gonna be blown away when you find out how the like of influenza and aids kill people

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Yes: surgical
    It's time to admit the Irish Gov blew this out of all proportion. New CDC figures show that 94% of the 153,504 people who died "from" cv-19 in the States had 2-3 serious underlying conditions, the remaining 6% were mostly of advanced age.

I thought that report said that the 6% had no underlying conditions, it didn’t say that they were old.

But remember that these people with underlying conditions were living happy lives with medicine controlling their conditions. Would they have survived the COVID infection if they didn’t have these underlying conditions, would they have continued to live their lives with their chronic disease if they didn’t get COVID.

So not as easy as you appear to wish it to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ronan-glynn-people-aren-t-wearing-their-face-masks-properly-1.4343647?fbclid=IwAR3jG8ZvWvv-ow-ApNO9-wwcue7keFyv8ySgXwXnz52beJL9Kd7Eudwgtj4

Acting chief medical officer Ronan Glynn has warned members of the public that wearing face coverings incorrectly could possibly increase their risk of contracting Covid-19.

The Boards "experts" were wrong, again!! Who'd have thunk it?? :confused::confused::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yes: other
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ronan-glynn-people-aren-t-wearing-their-face-masks-properly-1.4343647?fbclid=IwAR3jG8ZvWvv-ow-ApNO9-wwcue7keFyv8ySgXwXnz52beJL9Kd7Eudwgtj4

Acting chief medical officer Ronan Glynn has warned members of the public that wearing face coverings incorrectly could possibly increase their risk of contracting Covid-19.

The Boards "experts" were wrong, again!! Who'd have thunk it?? :confused::confused::eek::eek:

Wait, are you saying that there were people saying that wearing masks incorrectly was the optimal way of avoiding COVID?

You know what "incorrectly" means, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    AiDS/Cancer wont kill you directly. The comorbidities it allows run riot in your body will kill you.

Excess deaths is the only measure really and in most countries that shows we have been undercounting Covid deaths.

Live with what exactly?
    A disease that attacks the heart/kidney/testes/lungs silently each time? Asymptomatic cases also have heart danage?
    A disease you can get every year and each time its more severe?
    A disease that in 6 months has more than one strain and you can get each strain within the same 6 months?
    A disease that leaves long term implications we still dont understand, that scientists are still figuring out?

How can you even suggest we 'live' with it when we STILL dont even know what it fully does?
    Strokes, heart attacks, in young people months after what seemed like a mild flu?

When we know so little, why not err on the side of caution? Just one year, 6 more months would give science the tools so we can make more informed decisions. Why not wait for that?

there's too much logic in this post for it to make sense...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Wearing a face mask under your nose, guess where the virus can go? And you breathe that deep down into your lungs where it gets to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Wait, are you saying that there were people saying that wearing masks incorrectly was the optimal way of avoiding COVID?

You know what "incorrectly" means, right?

Another with their mask too tight and cannot read what is right in front of them. I'll clarify, no I did not say that.

I'm referring to the people that claimed that once you put it on in shops etc it didn't matter if it was around your chin etc while you walked in public etc. And claimed the HSPC do's and don'ts were there as a choice, not as the correct way to wear a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I work in the public sector, we have been told this morning to expect a new regulation to make face masks mandatory in all shared spaces - i.e. everywhere in the offices. Coming in the next week.

Anybody else heard anything on this.

• Advertisement

Tzardine wrote: »
    I work in the public sector, we have been told this morning to expect a new regulation to make face masks mandatory in all shared spaces - i.e. everywhere in the offices. Coming in the next week.

Anybody else heard anything on this.

Probably 2021 by how fast we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Wearing a face mask under your nose, guess where the virus can go? And you breathe that deep down into your lungs where it gets to work.
    Remember that most masks are only there for you to protect others, if someone is serious about protecting themselves, you will see them properly wearing a N95/FFP mask properly.

So if you are really worried about your health, then upgrade your mask and forget about those around you.

Another with their mask too tight and cannot read what is right in front of them. I'll clarify, no I did not say that.

I'm referring to the people that claimed that once you put it on in shops etc it didn't matter if it was around your chin etc while you walked in public etc. And claimed the HSPC do's and don'ts were there as a choice, not as the correct way to wear a mask.

So you agree that wearing a mask correctly decreases your chances of contracting Covid-19? Glad we're on the same page!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It seems like they want to keep masks beyond Covid and into flu season. I'm not wearing a mask into flu season. I'm only wearing a mask now to keep the peace.

It seems like they want to keep masks beyond Covid and into flu season. I'm not wearing a mask into flu season. I'm only wearing a mask now to keep the peace.

Source?

Also, when exactly is "Beyond Covid"? Plenty of businesses up and down the country would love to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It seems like they want to keep masks beyond Covid and into flu season.

Making it mandatory? I'd be very surprised. Quite likely HSE et al will 'encourage' us to keep wearing them going forward...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Source?

Also, when exactly is "Beyond Covid"? Plenty of businesses up and down the country would love to know.

I think the world would like to know this news that covid will be gone by the time flu season is upon us.

Trump hasn't tweeted this yet either, so thanks for letting boards know this before anyone else in the world.

-any chance @RichardHillman could share the link to this amazing news :D:D

What about wearing a face mask with covid AND the flu? Because we have both of them to deal with at the same time.

So there's talk of introducing fines for people not wearing a face mask.

I just cannot make sense of this. Would it make more sense to make masks mandatory in all indoor public buildings and workplaces first?

Like, there's confusing messages being sent out. You have to wear face coverings in shops and public transport. But other workplaces and offices, it's still not mandatory.

I'd rather they make masks mandatory in all indoor public places and workplaces and step up their game with more education on face masks. But nope, they think it's better to fine people?

It's better to educate people first and this is something they are failing at.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Still a lot of retail staff wearing the visors. I thought they would be largely filtered out by this stage, but wWord doesn't seem to be getting around that they're not much help.

CMO Ronan Glynn clarifying the position on this:
    Health chief urges people to wear face masks and not visors for COVID-19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

No: other
    So there's talk of introducing fines for people not wearing a face mask.

I just cannot make sense of this. Would it make more sense to make masks mandatory in all indoor public buildings and workplaces first?

Like, there's confusing messages being sent out. You have to wear face coverings in shops and public transport. But other workplaces and offices, it's still not mandatory.

I'd rather they make masks mandatory in all indoor public places and workplaces and step up their game with more education on face masks. But nope, they think it's better to fine people?

It's better to educate people first and this is something they are failing at.

the fines are already there €2500, the government are reducing them to between €20 to €100 (probably means they will actually be used)
    https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/other/stephen-donnelly-confirms-lower-covid-19-fines-are-on-the-way/ar-BB18ApRn?ocid=spartan-ntp-feeds

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No: other
    the fines are already there €2500, the government are reducing them to between €20 to €100 (probably means they will actually be used)
    https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/other/stephen-donnelly-confirms-lower-covid-19-fines-are-on-the-way/ar-BB18ApRn?ocid=spartan-ntp-feeds
    Took them long enough to notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

trellheim wrote: »
    anyone know folks doing personalised masks (i.e. with a logo on ) and got pricing ? Appreciate it. Ballpark price per 10 or 50 ? need to get a team sorted out

Think vistaprint are doing face masks with your own logos / colours etc. Website has details afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

GP referred to Medical Council for refusing to help patient avoid face masks.

A South Dublin general practitioner has been referred to the Medical Council after he refused to provide a letter of dispensation to a patient who does not wish to wear a mask in places where their use is mandated by Government.

If most people knew of the risks they would be happy to wear one I feel. There is a lot of patient learning needed on masks, they could reduce the mix of Covid by 75%.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40041461.html

Seanergy wrote: »

A South Dublin general practitioner has been referred to the Medical Council after he refused to provide a letter of dispensation to a patient who does not wish to wear a mask in places where their use is mandated by Government.

If most people knew of the risks they would be happy to wear one I feel. There is a lot of patient learning needed on masks, they could reduce the mix of Covid by 75%.

How low can someone go as to report a doctor for not giving into them? It's idiots like this that should be done. It's not ok to spread disease.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Seanergy wrote: »

Bill for wasting the time of the HSE and the Medical Council will hopefully be in the post to the "patient" shortly. Then a knock on the door from the Gardi regarding attempting to commit fraud to follow up with. Maybe throw in some charges of attempting to bring the reputation of a professional into disrepute as well.

I know none of that will happen, but would be nice if it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Some gombeen of a principal on the tonight show earlier complaining that his idea for all to wear visors instead of masks was rejected. Then he goes on about how masks could end up doing more harm than good as he thinks there could be hygiene issues.

What an absolute tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Tzardine wrote:
    Excellent. It is required indeed.

Some gombeen of a principal on the tonight show earlier complaining that his idea for all to wear visors instead of masks was rejected. Then he goes on about how masks could end up doing more harm than good as he thinks there could be hygiene issues.

What an absolute tool.

Well he said something about people not washing face masks properly. And if you're of the cohort that thinks it's all a hoax, I think he would be right on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

smurfjed wrote: »
    Remember that most masks are only there for you to protect others, if someone is serious about protecting themselves, you will see them properly wearing a N95/FFP mask properly.

So if you are really worried about your health, then upgrade your mask and forget about those around you.

Good video from John Campbell showing how masks protect the wearers too. It doesn't prevent the virus but you have a much higher chance of being asymptomatic if you do get it.

https://youtu.be/DANEqOPcDwc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement